Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2012, 12:40   #46
BHPian

Re: Honda City - Live your dream

Was thinking of get nitrogen filled in the tyres this time. Apparently it costs 200 bucks but was told it could last long.

Was are your opinions guys. a) Is it advisable? b) Is there a noticeable change in driving dynamics c) What tyre should be maintained?
Old 22nd March 2012, 13:47   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Was thinking of get nitrogen filled in the tyres this time. Apparently it costs 200 bucks but was told it could last long.

Was are your opinions guys. a) Is it advisable? b) Is there a noticeable change in driving dynamics c) What tyre should be maintained?
AFAIK Air already has 78.09% Nitrogen.

I don't think it is actually required to fill nitrogen in tyres, if it was recommended then there must be some note by the manufacturer in the manual.

Normal air will do.
Old 22nd March 2012, 17:37   #48
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Arup,

SA insisted me for Nitrogen this time during my service and I got it done for 150 INR for all the 5 tyres.

I didn't find any noticable difference so far it's just 10 days. But as per him

> tyre temperature would be bit cooler than normal air, insisted being summer time. I really doubt this though.
> No frequent check required on the tyre pressure. Its enough to get checked once every 2-3 months.

Flip side:

I got a flat tyre right after the Nitrogen fill, and I couldn't find any options near by with nitrogen facility and had no other choice than fixing the flat tyre at the dealer. 3 Punctures identified, bill was 364 INR.

In case of emergency one need to deflate the tyre completely before filling normal/nitrogen back.

Thread exists with more details:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-nitrogen.html

Last edited by raghu230506 : 22nd March 2012 at 17:44. Reason: thread details
Old 22nd March 2012, 18:13   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
> No frequent check required on the tyre pressure. Its enough to get checked once every 2-3 months.
I switched to Nitrogen more than an year back. I check the tire pressure only once in 3 to 4 months now.

Quote:
Flip side:

I got a flat tyre right after the Nitrogen fill, and I couldn't find any options near by with nitrogen facility and had no other choice than fixing the flat tyre at the dealer. 3 Punctures identified, bill was 364 INR.

In case of emergency one need to deflate the tyre completely before filling normal/nitrogen back.

Thread exists with more details:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-nitrogen.html
As far as I know, we can top up air in case of a puncture and nitrogen center is not available nearby. Before refilling nitrogen, tire has to be emptied first. Another advantage as I was told is that the rim does not corrode easily like with air.

Last edited by B103 : 22nd March 2012 at 18:15.
B103 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 19:15   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Fellow Bhpians,

As a child, my father used to always tell me, “Never be afraid of the vacuum between reality and your dreams. If you can dream it, you have already crossed the bridge”.

to narrate my dream – the one which I’m still in. [/b]

I agree with your Dad 100 %. Please wish him well from me !!

Like you, I had dreams of buying the Honda City because a few friends had the car dating back to 2004 and I did not have the cash to own one !!

But I had a dream too and in year 2010, I had rustled up the cash to buy the ANHC SMT for the same price that you paid.

I must compliment you for writing a beautiful story !!

Do read my ownership story ....

Rgds

Commander Nandu Chitnis (Retd)
Old 23rd March 2012, 11:13   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post

I don't think it is actually required to fill nitrogen in tyres, if it was recommended then there must be some note by the manufacturer in the manual.

Normal air will do.
The advantages and disadvantages are debatable.

From my observations for 1 year of Nitrogen filling:

1) The air check/top up comes down drastically as the pressure loss is minimal from the rubber walls. With normal air the pressure loss is around 1 unit per 10-12 days.

2) Nitrogen fillings gets rid of water vapour so not expansion at high temperatures, so no change in pressure, no corrosion/oxidisation of the brass valves.

3) Honda Service top-ups the Nitrogen for free as per my experience.

4) In worst case emergency situation just go ahead and top it up with Normal air -makes no harm.
RemingtonSteele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 21:12   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Anmol, you are quite right but from what I have come to understand is that some amount of water vapour is present in air which causes rust & heat build up as temperature rises. In most cases you end up filling air at a petrol pump during which the car has already run some distance. Not sure if that'll make it hot enough for temp. change.

Agree no manuals mention it but I thought I'll try it once just to see the effects. Will keep you posted.

Quote:
Hi Arup,

SA insisted me for Nitrogen this time during my service and I got it done for 150 INR for all the 5 tyres. - This is strange raghu. My SA to me saar, air mein to nitrogen hota hi hai na.

I didn't find any noticable difference so far it's just 10 days. - Please let me know if you find any change. I thought I'll get this done once and see it myself. we can always share experiences

In case of emergency one need to deflate the tyre completely before filling normal/nitrogen back. - This then is a drawback isn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
As far as I know, we can top up air in case of a puncture - Is this something you have done it buddy before?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
I agree with your Dad 100 %. Please wish him well from me !!

Many thanks Comm. Chitnis. Wish he were here with me to pass on the compliments.

I must compliment you for writing a beautiful story !! -

Thank you very much Sir.

Do read my ownership story - Could you please send me the link to it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post

3) Honda Service top-ups the Nitrogen for free as per my experience. -

Thanks Remington. One of the Honda Service Center were suprised when I asked him about nitrogen filling

4) In worst case emergency situation just go ahead and top it up with Normal air -makes no harm. - Mate I'm sure you tried it but just to reconfirm its not a problem right?
Replies in bold
Old 23rd March 2012, 21:26   #53
BHPian

Quote:
3) Honda Service top-ups the Nitrogen for free as per my experience. -

Thanks Remington. One of the Honda Service Center were suprised when I asked him about nitrogen filling

4) In worst case emergency situation just go ahead and top it up with Normal air -makes no harm. - Mate I'm sure you tried it but just to reconfirm its not a problem right?
My Honda service initially charge me for full N2 filling but subsequent top-ups are done free.

My friend don't make too much hullabaloo of N2 in tyres. As rightly said Air already contains 78.09% of N2. In case of emergency its more important to fix the urgency first. If you fill normal air over N2 then everything in that tyre becomes normal Air you can't call it as contamination..right ?, don't worry its safe, fix your issue first and during next N2 cycle drain everything and refill N2 only.

Again, having said that, the advantages are debatable and I am not advocating the cause of using nitrogen in tyres. But certainly the top-up frequency is a noticeable difference.

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 23rd March 2012 at 21:44.
Old 26th March 2012, 12:38   #54
BHPian

Another Honda City joins the family. My BIL gets one.

S-MT Rs. 9,5x,xxx

Free Accessories

a) Mats
b) Anti Body Rust
c) Car cover

Paid Accessories

Reverse Sensors

Side / Front Bumper Protectors - Apparently the dealer informs us a day before delivery that these were out of stock and they aren't sure when the new ones would arrive. Think this is dealers ploy to pass on the post-budget price increase.

Few observations between the old and the face-lifted City

a) Ground clearance - has definitely improved. Though I didn't face any lower scrapping issues on mine, I had to go dead slow on any speed breakers. However on the new one you can easily ride over a bump at even 15-20kmph while having 5 occupants in the car

b) Horns - Wouldn't say its a sore point, but the horns on the new city are definitely more loud then the older one. It doesn't seem to get the dual tone when braking and depressing the horn continuously.

c) AC blowers are more quieter especially on three and four levels. The knobs too look much appealing than the older one.

Guys any others you find?
arup.misra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 21:24   #55
BHPian

Mod Note : As per the recent mass PM, please do NOT use acronyms when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name. Any further usage of acronyms will invite severe Moderator action on your account. Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 29th March 2012 at 12:03. Reason: Do NOT use acronyms when referring to cars. Use the full make & model name ONLY
Old 3rd April 2012, 22:01   #56
BHPian

On a recent long drive, I experimented with the mdsaab style to see if the mind-blowing averages were really possible. As it turns out it is actually very true though its very very difficult to not floor the pedal to hear the vtec roar.

B103, I even tried to awaken my kundalini as you prescribed on your thread. Any believe me, its very very addictive. I just thanked god that I tried this after the mdsaab style.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda City - Live your dream-city-mileage.jpg  

arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2012, 20:16   #57
BHPian

It's been long that I've had a chance to update my thread. Nothing much to report. The ever reliable Honda gleefully keeps chugging away in B2B traffic or highways it never complains. Kind of boring after a while.

In between work, I've had a few opportunities to let my dragon loose on highways trips. The thrill is too amazing to describe in words.

4th Service Update ~ 15k km

Finished 4th service today. It's nearly a year that I've been living my dream and boy am I loving it or what. Every kilometer of the 7000 odd km it has run is absolute bliss. Nothing to complain about barring a small niggle. Unfortunately I am facing rodent trouble in my parking. Since the car was unused for a good 10 days, during my business tour, the rat had merrily chewed on the wiper washer rubber tube. This required replacement which was done during the service.

Need to find a solution to avoid such instances again. Would putting a wire mesh in the open space under the engine work? Any thoughts guys?

Service Center - Apex Honda Worli

VAS - Rs. 350

15k Paid Service - Rs. 780

AC Disinfection - Rs. 750

Engine Oil change - Rs. 1,323

Washer Fluid - Rs. 45

Washer Plug Drain - Rs. 21

Wiper Washer Tube - Rs. 326

Nitrogen Filling (5-tyres) - Rs. 200

Total (including tax) - Rs 4,115

Time taken - 5 hours

The Ownership Experience so far

The car is getting smoother by the day as the odo begins to crunch miles. Light steering and good low end torque makes city driving effortless, though on the highways steering feed back is grossly inadequate. In my few highway journeys so far I've driven it very aggressively but never felt unstable at very high speeds.
Old 18th November 2012, 19:45   #58
BHPian

Apex Honda - Free mega service camp

Apex Honda is organizing a "Mega Service Fest" in their Kurla workshop. They are offering the following

a) Free 40 point health check up
b) Any top up of oils, if requited, at no cost
c) Free full body wash
d) 25% discount on all labor charges; 5% discount on all preventive maintenance, general repairs and body paint parts
e) Special 25% on exterior polish treatment
f) 15% on extended warranty & RSA

Dates - from 19th Nov to 30th Nov 2012

Appointments - 9768687444; 9768687222; 9870935422; 9768674555

Have attached the official letter that I received from them.

Honda City - Live your dream-letter.jpg

Mods- Have posted in Mumbai directory as it is relevant only for Mumbai members.
Old 22nd November 2012, 11:45   #59
BHPian

Hi Arup, bumped quite late into your thread; Congratulations on getting your dream fulfilled. A nice crisp write up.

I also bought my ANHC SMT in September 2011; have done 17500 km till now.

Have you thought about shifting to synthetic oil ?
breezydrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 14:44   #60
BHPian

Quote:
..... and good low end torque makes city driving effortless, though on the highways steering feed back is grossly inadequate. In my few highway journeys so far I've driven it very aggressively but never felt unstable at very high speeds.

In my 2.5 years of ownership of the City I believe that in fact the city lacks low end torque and thus sometimes makes city driving cumbersome. The lack of low end torque I'm referring to is only in respect of the Corolla I own as that car has a near perfect low end torque response and thus for low speed driving in the city corolla is the preferred car for me. Nevertheless I find the highway manners of City much better than my corolla which believes in threatening you with its flimsy handling and body roll if you request her to go above 110-120

I would like to know from other ANHC owners where they find the low end grunt of City lacking compare to any other vehicle they might be owning.
abs182 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks