Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2014, 14:47   #46
BHPian

Can anyone share their experience of the A Star's ability to wade through water? Wondering what height of water can this hatch handle safely.

Last edited by outdoorlover : 12th July 2014 at 14:55.
Old 22nd December 2014, 15:00   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: A-star Automatic: Features review, EDIT: Mileage Updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Can anyone share their experience of the A Star's ability to wade through water? Wondering what height of water can this hatch handle safely.
When you say "ability to wade through water", do you mean "height of the exhaust tail pipe" (assuming the air intake opening is much higher)? It is higher than that of the Alto, I would take exact measurement this week and update you.
If you meant water resistance of bearings and other parts (as you already own an A-star), I am not sure. Would request others to comment on this.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 22nd December 2014 at 15:02.
Old 6th September 2015, 11:36   #48
BHPian

Jinojohn, I meant wading through water in the terms of what height of water it could run through safely without the engine sucking water.
Old 30th September 2015, 08:23   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

@Outdoorlover, the standard guideline for production cars is that you can wade thru water upto level of the axle (centre of the wheel). But go through slowly, so that the water does not splash upwards to the air-intake point. And in case the car stalls, then do not attempt to start it again - but get it pulled out of the water & checked before any further action.
Old 30th November 2015, 21:04   #50
BHPian

My A-Star AT completed 2 years this month. Being the second car in the stable, it has only done 10600 kms in these 2 years. This year too, I treated it to Synthetic oil (Mobil-1 0W40) along with the change, in coolant and brake oil which is mandated at 2yrs/ 20k service. The car is running smoother now I feel. Also got the front brake calliper adjusted as recommended by my Service advisor and this has improved braking performance which is not great in this vehicle given that the rear brakes are drum and not disc.
outdoorlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 10:23   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This year too, I treated it to Synthetic oil (Mobil-1 0W40) along with the change, in coolant and brake oil which is mandated at 2yrs/ 20k service.
I also use Mobil1 though it's not worth the 5X price. For the A-star, normal oil makes the engine uncomfortably loud, hence fully synthetic is the only option for me.
How many liters of Brake fluid did you need for a complete flush and refill? Finding it difficult to source Dot-5 brake fluid since most shops stock only Dot-4. Any pointers?

Quote:
Also got the front brake calliper adjusted as recommended by my Service advisor and this has improved braking performance which is not great in this vehicle given that the rear brakes are drum and not disc.
Where did you get this info from? The stopping distance of A-star hovers around the BMW-Benz-Audi territory (needs just 40 meters to stop completely from 100 km/hr in ideal conditions, where as the previous gen i20 diesel takes 65 meters to stop completely). I have been mildly rear-ended at least thrice, even in light to moderate braking.

See this thread if you are not convinced: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1871653

Last edited by jinojohnt : 19th April 2018 at 10:36.
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 13:52   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post

Where did you get this info from? The stopping distance of A-star hovers around the BMW-Benz-Audi territory (needs just 40 meters to stop completely from 100 km/hr in ideal conditions, .
Hi, my experience has been quite varied. With my original JK tyres on, it was terrible wherein I had come dangerously close to rear ending the vehicle in front of me. After I changed over to 175mm tread Michelin XM2, braking distance has been simply superb. I now have to watch out more for guys behind me in case of a short braking.
outdoorlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 22:39   #53
Senior - BHPian

Same with me - two stock JK's burst at 20,000 km, now I'm all on Michelin XM2.
Everything has improved from ease of steering to wet/dry braking. I'm yet to learn smooth braking in Automatics though (partly because of the engine 'push' in first gear), so I still keep extra distance to the car in front.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 6th May 2018 at 22:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks