Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2013, 11:21   #241
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit View Post
Yes. they are attached to the seat and very strong. It does not come in between the hand break & give perfect reach for the gear shifts. It doesn't feel like jugad in anyway. I will try to post some picture of the same today.
Ok thanks, can you tell me how much it costed and if it was bought from TASS. Would they fit it?
Old 13th August 2013, 15:38   #242
Senior - BHPian

Did a small modification which was pending since last year. It was pending due to unavailability of a part in the aftermarket area called Headlight relay.

About 6 months back the market saw the availability of a this relay kit in H7/H7 type. Yes, this small little kit no one manufactured in this combination as there were not many cars with H7/H7 setup for low & high beam. I dont know why Tata opted for this combination.

The kit is from a local company called Super (1 year warranty). It comes with cermaic holders. The price that I paid was around 750 bucks.

Will have to test it out on the highways to know its effectiveness. I have upgraded to 80w for both hi-lo beams. Did not go for higher ones as I would be traveling cross country soon and did not want any electrical issues.
Old 14th August 2013, 11:48   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Ok thanks, can you tell me how much it costed and if it was bought from TASS. Would they fit it?
No, It was not done at TASS. I got sourced them from Mayapuri, New Delhi and got help from a local workshop to install them. I was surprised to see that Seat-foam were easy to remove as it has a locking system. Got the seat open and had to weld the bracket on the seat. It is very strong and able to take as much as weight as you want. My 5 year daughter keep on stepping on it whenever she need to change seats from rear to front .

As a matter of fact while taking pictures today, i noticed that it will come in between when both arm rest are open but i generally drive alone so it hardly create any issue. My hand slide from its side and reach to the handbrake easily.

Overall cost came around 2K.
Find below the pics for your reference.

Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-1.jpg

Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-2.jpg

Last edited by adroit : 14th August 2013 at 11:54.
adroit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 10:11   #244
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Adroit for the pictures, the armrest does look neat and sturdy. I guess this will have to be done after my trip as now no time.

UPDATES

Did some necessary updates to the car as part of the preparation for the Ladakh trip in 4 days time.

Performance

I had spoken to Siddarth from Tune-O-Tronics about my upcoming Ladakh trip and he had promised to alter the maps a little for the trip. So this weekend happened to find some time to get the current maps tweaked.

First off was a test drive with the existing map, since I had got the clutch redone and changed air filter etc, Siddarth was extremely pleased with the response from the car. So after discussion, we agreed to up the torque wee bit around 15 NM from the current settings.

Previous Settings
Torque: 245NM @ 1950 rpm
Bhp: 114

Current Settings
Torque: 260 NM @ 1900 rpm
Bhp: 122

T-O-T feels this should be enough for me the enjoy the plains as well as have pulling power in the hills on a loaded car. Hence, my feedback is pending post the trip

Mechanical

Got suspension spacers installed on the car. These are of B3 size done at A1 Car Care center, Lalbagh Road, Bangalore. These spacers are same as your AutoRunners as both of these fellows order from the same supplier in South East Asia. Infact their measurement codes are also same.

Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-img20130815wa0003.jpg

Reasons:

1. Main stock GC of 165 even after full load for the trip
2. Stiffen the suspension wee bit for better drive

Observations:

1. Car now just glides over the Bangalore potholes with just a slight murmur.
2. Stiffen suspension has ensured that the bounciness or what we call body roll has reduced considerably. This I could observe by the amount of speed that I can now take through the corners when compared to before
3. Steering has tightened a little bit and has become super responsive. You can feel in control of the car
4. As per calculations the unloaded car stands at 185mm GC apprx, give or take 1-2mm.
motomaverick is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 11:13   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Did some necessary updates to the car as part of the preparation for the Ladakh trip in 4 days time.
Eagerly waiting for the post your Leh Trip updates as this one is long awaited for me with family. I am hesitant to take a sedan on this trip as done 2 bike rides and not very confident about doing it by car.

Quote:
Got suspension spacers installed on the car. These are of B3 size done at A1 Car Care center, Lalbagh Road, Bangalore. These spacers are same as your AutoRunners as both of these fellows order from the same supplier in South East Asia. Infact their measurement codes are also same.
Can you please tell us the total cost involve in installing the spacers ? Is there any way we can order it online ? I don't know if these can be installed here in Delhi.
Old 19th August 2013, 12:35   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Can you please tell us the total cost involve in installing the spacers ? Is there any way we can order it online ? I don't know if these can be installed here in Delhi.
I dont think these are available online. But here is the contact number of A1 Car Care Center, may be you can check with them if they can courier it. The size for Manza is B3. Or if you can meet me on the return journey from Ladakh I can hand it over personally. But install them only if you feel the need as I am not sure whats the impact on the suspension, dont think there will be any negative impact but still why break something which is working fine.

Cost: 1000 bucks each

A1 Car Care Center
No.1/1, Nr Mallige Mahabodhi Hospital, Ashoka Pillar Rd, 1st Blk, Jayanagar, Bangalore - 560011 | View Map 9741987786, 9343085404 (080) 26577438
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 12:45   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Or if you can meet me on the return journey from Ladakh I can hand it over personally. But install them only if you feel the need as I am not sure whats the impact on the suspension, dont think there will be any negative impact but still why break something which is working fine.
Thanks Bro. I will check with the contact you have mentioned about getting it shipped to Delhi. But despite that, if time permits for both of us, I would surely like to meet you on your return trip from Leh.
Old 19th August 2013, 13:47   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Bro. I will check with the contact you have mentioned about getting it shipped to Delhi. But despite that, if time permits for both of us, I would surely like to meet you on your return trip from Leh.
Sure probably when returning we will know where exactly I will pass, may or may not be near to Delhi. You can keep track in FB or Twitter (@lecindia)
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 22:19   #249
BHPian

Wow Leh on the Manza, gracelessly update us on the trip @motomaverick.
All the best on the trip!!!
Old 20th August 2013, 13:06   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asif 6959 View Post
Wow Leh on the Manza, gracelessly update us on the trip @motomaverick.
All the best on the trip!!!
Will do that, i guess a lot of Manza owners are waiting to conquer Ladakh
Old 20th August 2013, 16:16   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Also another thing to check before the Leh trip, the rubber seals under the body which seals the water from entering the body. Do check and seal it up with the silicon paste if necessary.
Old 20th August 2013, 21:43   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you get them installed all round or only at the rear?

I may be wrong but I find the placement of the spacers curious. Should they not be at the bottom of the springs? Wouldn't the current placement interfere with spring movement?

Best of luck for the trip!
Old 20th August 2013, 21:57   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Also another thing to check before the Leh trip, the rubber seals under the body which seals the water from entering the body. Do check and seal it up with the silicon paste if necessary.
Thanks Krishna, I take it that this is from your experience in your recent trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Did you get them installed all round or only at the rear?

I may be wrong but I find the placement of the spacers curious. Should they not be at the bottom of the springs? Wouldn't the current placement interfere with spring movement?

Best of luck for the trip!
Well not sure, I was told that it should be in the middle to get height, would love to hear from anyone else using these spacers on the placement.
Old 12th September 2013, 13:10   #254
BHPian

Hi motomaverick , I became a member of teambhp very recently.
I have been following this thread since day 1.
I must say its a very well compiled thread . Very honest and neutral as well.
I own a Manza Qjd, Aura Abs.
Done several mods till date:
1)Head lights : Blackened bezel for enhanced looks and detailing
installed HIDs in low beam and Osram night breaker + in high beams
2)Installed Skoda type horns
3)Installed lip type spoilers with Black CF vinyl in bottom half.
4)Gloss Black roof
5)Yokohama c drive 195-60 R15 tyres
6)Stock air filter from Pipercross
7)Manza club class chrome strips around fog lamps
8)Manza club class chrom weather strips on windows
9)ICe :
Pioneer Avhx2590 bt touchscreen head unit
Infinity components 6" in front
JBl co axials 6x9 in rear
Mtx bass tube
Sony 4 channel amp.
10)Alloy wheels(star type) from Tata

Off late(especially after reading your review) there has been a constant itch of going in for a Dieseltronic box. I have already read your post on that one.
but personally i feel Rs 20000/- is asking for too much and 1 needs to decide carefully before spending.

I have following doubts to start with :
1)During the installation process do we need to remove the engine cover or it can be installed without touching the cover ?
2)Can the installation / removing of the box be done by myself as DIY?
Asking this since i would never like to give thecarto service centre with the box installed on it. Hence its important that i can confidently and conveniently (without much fuss) remove or reinstall the the box myself.
3)You having experienced both(the box and the remap) do you really feel the box is worth Rs 20000/- I am sure i wont go for a remap but this tuning box is may be a yes.
I want it mainly because :
a)Want to improve the drivability of the Manza. WIll it help ?
b)hill climbing / steep hair pin incline is a weak point of the Manza and one doesn't feel very confident driving it and has to carefully plan such hair pin climbs in advance. Also the hydraulic steering set up saps the engine of power in those situations. I assume that this box will definitely help negotiate such hairpin steep inclines in a better way. Is my assumption correct ?
c)I hope the top speed wont be compromised due to installation and use of the box in the lon run (say after 15000+ kms with the box)
d)Will it effect the life of fuel pump in the long run ?

My Manza is currently done 29000kms(june 2011 purchase)
Daily run is about 30+ kms within bombay(dauly office commute)
+ once a month highway drives

Thanks in advance . Please Pm me your number if you dont mind.
Looking forward to your LEH trip reports.
All the best
Old 16th September 2013, 12:31   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
1)Head lights : Blackened bezel for enhanced looks and detailing
installed HIDs in low beam and Osram night breaker + in high beams

I have following doubts to start with :
1)During the installation process do we need to remove the engine cover or it can be installed without touching the cover ?
2)Can the installation / removing of the box be done by myself as DIY?
Asking this since i would never like to give thecarto service centre with the box installed on it. Hence its important that i can confidently and conveniently (without much fuss) remove or reinstall the the box myself.
3)You having experienced both(the box and the remap) do you really feel the box is worth Rs 20000/- I am sure i wont go for a remap but this tuning box is may be a yes.
I want it mainly because :
a)Want to improve the drivability of the Manza. WIll it help ?
b)hill climbing / steep hair pin incline is a weak point of the Manza and one doesn't feel very confident driving it and has to carefully plan such hair pin climbs in advance. Also the hydraulic steering set up saps the engine of power in those situations. I assume that this box will definitely help negotiate such hairpin steep inclines in a better way. Is my assumption correct ?
c)I hope the top speed wont be compromised due to installation and use of the box in the lon run (say after 15000+ kms with the box)
d)Will it effect the life of fuel pump in the long run ?

My Manza is currently done 29000kms(june 2011 purchase)
Daily run is about 30+ kms within bombay(dauly office commute)
+ once a month highway drives

Thanks in advance . Please Pm me your number if you dont mind.
Looking forward to your LEH trip reports.
All the best
Sorry for the late reply I was out traveling with the Manza to Leh.

1. About the HID mod that you have done? Have you installed projectors?

For your questions on the DieselTronics.

a. Engine cover need not be removed, its a simple plug and play. You just need to remove the sensor plug thats on the left side of the engine and connect the box.
b. Yes, having used the tuning box & remap I am more inclined towards a remap. Recently I completed a cross country 8000 kms run with the remap setting at 120bhp & 260NM torque. The car was a breeze to drive even with a full boot and passengers weighing close to 220 kilos. No strain felt. Though you will not be driving at the top speed on a highway but what makes a difference is the acceleration.
c. Yes, drivability will improve a lot. Hill climb was never a issue with the stock Manza, maybe you should get yours checked before the tuning box. Your top speed will not be effected as thats a mechanical thing but what changes is how fast you get to the ton. That will bring a smile to your face.
d. Cannot comment on the fuel pump life as nothing mechanical has been damaged as of now.

Ladakh Drive Report

After having driven the car for more than 8000 kms this month for the Ladakh trip, I thought I will pen down my observations on how the car performed overall.
  1. Overall Performance One word: Awesome. This can be mainly attributed to the remap settings that had before the trip, thanks to T-O-T, the car was running a 260NM tune at 1900 rpm. With luggage probably weighing in at 200 kilos and combined passengers weighing in at 220 kilos (we became thin by the time we reached home), the car was a breeze to drive. Overtaking was never at issue on single lane roads. On expressways, 5th gear acceleration was as if there was no weight at all. Even with some spirited driving & hill climbs (30% ) the mileage that the car returned was a staggering 17kpl overall.
  2. Handling; One Word: Better. Manza was never a handler but with the fitment of the rubber spacers all around, the suspension was a tad bit stiffer and hence, the improvement in handling. Sharp curves yes you do have slow down but sweeping curves on highways was so much better. On the rough terrain of Ladakh, the car did touch the bottom innumerable times, but no major damage. I got only one ask to Tata, please put a stiffer suspension setup.
  3. Mileage; One Word: Good. Manza, always gives good mileage on the highways and this drive was no exception. Overall Bangalore to Bangalore calculation gives me a rough 17kpl over 8000 kms. Which I think is pretty cool for the weight it was lugging around. This average could have been more in a stock car but with the remap there was some spirited driving.
  4. Safety; One Word: Tank. Though nothing untoward happened on the trip. But considering the number of under body hits in Ladakh and the kind of roads that it went through, I can salute the build quality of this Tata car. No new rattles have emerged after the trip. That I think says a lot of the improvement in quality. Though my car does not have ABS, braking was never an issue, there were a few high speed braking but nothing scary at all.

So if anyone is planning to take the Manza on a long long drive across the country, you can close your eyes and complete the trip.

Last edited by motomaverick : 16th September 2013 at 12:46.
motomaverick is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed