Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2011, 11:42   #121
BHPian

re: Tata Manza:: The Story Continues:: 20,000 kms Update

I too faced some problems earlier on with the turbo kicking in (Aura+). It happened over a year back when i was driving Bangalore - Chennai. Somewhere before Chennai, I felt as if I had lost engine power. Usually turbo kicked in at about 2300 rpm, but now the engine was dragging and finally turbo kicks in at just over 3000 rpm.

Took it to Bhoomas, a TATA authorised service centre somewhere on the outskirts of Chennai and had a wonderful nap waiting for the car to be returned (problem identified or rectified). The car was returned after some cleaning, tweaking, speaking to Tata Engineers etc., also a test drive from their side. It worked fine they said!!! I too did not have a problem for that day and the next whilst driving in the city. Ignored it as being the usual early niggles issue and had forgotten it completely by the time I started driving back from Chennai the next day.

Voila! It happened again!! Kept driving with very low power for some time. Became a bit difficult to overtake vehicles and on a longish stretch when I did manage to reach 3000+ rpm, the turbo kicks in and suddenly it starts zooming!!! After having done this for a few kilometres decided to stop and have a cup of tea. Switched off the engine, had a leisurely cup of tea and started driving back. Lo & Behold! Everything normal. Car was behaving as if it had no problem whatsoever. After driving for sometime, it surfaced once again. I thought then that there was something to do with 5th gear and speeds dropping suddenly without gear shifts. Stopped the car, waited for a few minutes and re-started, a beautiful car once again. I confirmed that it seems to be happening when I slam the brakes at 100+ speed in 5th gear and then have to shift as low as 2nd. This is when I lose power and it starts dragging. Did the stop start many a time and reached BLR.

Took it to Concorde Motors - Mysore Road and they replaced the turbo. Did not do a long trip for a long time (also read as did not touch 5th gear in BLR) and when I ventured out next, felt the same problem cropping up again. By this time I knew the exact point at which the problem occurs and became adept at circumventing the problem creeping up, by managing the gear and speed as much as possible. When unfortunately, I have to slam the brakes then it does come up. Simple solution....stop the car....switch off the engine.... remove the key......restart the engine. Back to normal!

Will be highlighting this issue once again when I go back for my next service 30000!
Old 29th November 2011, 09:58   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariwar View Post
I too faced some problems earlier on with the turbo kicking in (Aura+). It happened over a year back when i was driving Bangalore - Chennai. Somewhere before Chennai, I felt as if I had lost engine power. Usually turbo kicked in at about 2300 rpm, but now the engine was dragging and finally turbo kicks in at just over 3000 rpm.

Took it to Bhoomas, a TATA authorised service centre somewhere on the outskirts of Chennai and had a wonderful nap waiting for the car to be returned (problem identified or rectified). The car was returned after some cleaning, tweaking, speaking to Tata Engineers etc., also a test drive from their side. It worked fine they said!!! I too did not have a problem for that day and the next whilst driving in the city. Ignored it as being the usual early niggles issue and had forgotten it completely by the time I started driving back from Chennai the next day.

Voila! It happened again!! Kept driving with very low power for some time. Became a bit difficult to overtake vehicles and on a longish stretch when I did manage to reach 3000+ rpm, the turbo kicks in and suddenly it starts zooming!!! After having done this for a few kilometres decided to stop and have a cup of tea. Switched off the engine, had a leisurely cup of tea and started driving back. Lo & Behold! Everything normal. Car was behaving as if it had no problem whatsoever. After driving for sometime, it surfaced once again. I thought then that there was something to do with 5th gear and speeds dropping suddenly without gear shifts. Stopped the car, waited for a few minutes and re-started, a beautiful car once again. I confirmed that it seems to be happening when I slam the brakes at 100+ speed in 5th gear and then have to shift as low as 2nd. This is when I lose power and it starts dragging. Did the stop start many a time and reached BLR.

Took it to Concorde Motors - Mysore Road and they replaced the turbo. Did not do a long trip for a long time (also read as did not touch 5th gear in BLR) and when I ventured out next, felt the same problem cropping up again. By this time I knew the exact point at which the problem occurs and became adept at circumventing the problem creeping up, by managing the gear and speed as much as possible. When unfortunately, I have to slam the brakes then it does come up. Simple solution....stop the car....switch off the engine.... remove the key......restart the engine. Back to normal!

Will be highlighting this issue once again when I go back for my next service 30000!
Thanks for confirming that I am not the only one facing this issue, though in my car there is no loss of power its just that when at 2800rpm when the turbo completely opens it jerks for about 1-2 secs and when the rpm crosses 3k there is nothing.

Came back from Prerana Workshop and they could not resolve the problem and stated that this is an expected behavior, we tried one more Manza there and when i drove i did not find any jerks that too when its engine was cold but when the Mechanic took the drive he said he felt so i am not sure who is correct but my heart certainly says that I am correct.

Any how i took back the car thinking not to waste too much time since they have already given up their hands, not angry with them but just amused that when they cant solve it, they state its by design. So planning to write to Tata and get their statement if its by design.
Old 17th December 2011, 19:38   #123
Senior - BHPian

Got the door pads & steering wheel cover done at Karlsson yesterday. The work was really good specially the steering wrap which is just perfect. It took half a day and costed 4800 for the Manza. I went with the Scandinavian 1.5mm thickness leather "Midnight Black" to prevent the dirt from getting stuck on the fiber door pads which the company had provided. The leather ones were attached on top of the stock ones as the stock ones are molded into the door and cannot be removed.

Small Gift: A Key chain in Leather.

Here are some finished pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-dsc05669.jpg  

Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-dsc05670.jpg  

Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-dsc05671.jpg  

Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-dsc05673.jpg  

Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-dsc05675.jpg  

Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-dsc05676.jpg  

Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-dsc056722.jpg  

Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-dsc05677.jpg  

motomaverick is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2011, 20:42   #124

Vow! The 7th picture (second one from the last, above the key chain) which shows the full steering, looks great. It looks as if it is factory fitted. The threads could have been in black color. Even though 4800 INR seems to be expensive, its worth. The finishing is perfect.
Old 18th December 2011, 10:44   #125
BHPian

Hi Motomaverick,

The overall outcome looks fantastic!

Did you get just the door pads and the steering wheel or the seat covers done from them as well?
Did they have to dismantle the steering to stitch over it?

I had inquired with Karlsson's contact person in mumbai, he told me that they do not do just the door pads and the steering wheel. I would have to get the seat covers done from them as well. And he also told me that, they would have to remove the steering wheel to stitch the leather on.

Last edited by DeKay : 18th December 2011 at 10:45.
Old 18th December 2011, 13:03   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveAddict View Post
Vow! The 7th picture (second one from the last, above the key chain) which shows the full steering, looks great. It looks as if it is factory fitted. The threads could have been in black color. Even though 4800 INR seems to be expensive, its worth. The finishing is perfect.
Yeah the finish is like its done in factory. I myself told them the white to go with the vanila interiors of the manza, slight contrast otherwise it would be pretty dull . Price looks expensive but like u said its worth the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Hi Motomaverick,

The overall outcome looks fantastic!

Did you get just the door pads and the steering wheel or the seat covers done from them as well?
Did they have to dismantle the steering to stitch over it?

I had inquired with Karlsson's contact person in mumbai, he told me that they do not do just the door pads and the steering wheel. I would have to get the seat covers done from them as well. And he also told me that, they would have to remove the steering wheel to stitch the leather on.
I just got the door pads and steering done only, speak with Sajith he is the propieter of Karlsson. Yes they dismantled the steering completely but if u have air bags then they will have to do inside the car I guess, they won't be able to remove the steering.
Old 18th December 2011, 15:30   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post

I just got the door pads and steering done only, speak with Sajith he is the propieter of Karlsson. Yes they dismantled the steering completely but if u have air bags then they will have to do inside the car I guess, they won't be able to remove the steering.
It would be great if you could give me the details through a PM. I was told that the steering has to be dismantled in any car be it with or without airbags. Since Mine does, I am concerned because I do would not want anything to go wrong with life-saving equipment.
Old 19th December 2011, 10:32   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
It would be great if you could give me the details through a PM. I was told that the steering has to be dismantled in any car be it with or without airbags. Since Mine does, I am concerned because I do would not want anything to go wrong with life-saving equipment.
They were saying about certain steerings that are difficult, the number of the showroom is there in their website, i dont have the personal contact number of Sajith, he is usually in at the shop from 11am, try then.
Old 19th December 2011, 11:18   #129
Senior - BHPian

Maverick, awesome pics of the leather work. The workman ship shows,particularly on the steering. It's perfect to the T.
I think 4.8k for such a class of work is VFM. The leather looks good too. Mind putting a picture of the entire interior together.
Would love to get the whole view.
Old 19th December 2011, 12:42   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Maverick, awesome pics of the leather work. The workman ship shows,particularly on the steering. It's perfect to the T.
I think 4.8k for such a class of work is VFM. The leather looks good too. Mind putting a picture of the entire interior together.
Would love to get the whole view.
Will try to do that today, will need my SLR for that for the wider angle
Old 19th December 2011, 14:13   #131
BHPian

Hey Motomaverick, the interiors look super-hot. Put up some full shots for us to admire the beauty
Old 19th December 2011, 15:39   #132
Senior - BHPian

Hey, it really looks classy .

Bdw did you book any appointment for the work to be done , or we can just drive in .

Im also planning to get a steering cover from Karlson from longtime, but now i guess the time has come to go for it .

Cheers
Old 20th December 2011, 09:23   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Hey Motomaverick, the interiors look super-hot. Put up some full shots for us to admire the beauty
Just need to find little time here, but definately will post full interior pics, not much change though, the only grouch is the Autoform seat covers look out of place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Hey, it really looks classy .

Bdw did you book any appointment for the work to be done , or we can just drive in .

Im also planning to get a steering cover from Karlson from longtime, but now i guess the time has come to go for it .
Cheers
Well i didnt take appointments but its best to check with them before you plan to come as stitching etc, takes a little bit of time. I checked with Sajith over e-mail.
Old 20th December 2011, 10:50   #134
BHPian

30,000 kms Service Report

Just completed 30,000 kms service yesterday at Concorde Motors, Mysore Road. The following complaints were registered.
1. loss of power & turbo kicking in very late, noticed when speed drops drastically from 5th gear, necessitating engagement of 2nd/3d gear, noticed only on long/highway drives.
2. small sounds emanating infrequently from front suspension when going over speed breakers.
3. Mike function not working when mobile is paired with music system. Also not synchronizing the contacts of my phone.

Was advised to change oil, needs changing every 10,000 kms, supposedly recent memo from TATA Motors to that effect. Agreed.

Was advised to undergo wheel alignment & balancing, also ideal to be done at every 10,000 kms. Agreed. Asked them to rotate the tyres (have been doing it every 10000 kms) including the spare.

Time-in: 0900 hrs Time-out: 1830 hrs...patient listening to all my ramblings by the service advisor....got a call @ 1700 hrs that vehicle is ready and can I come by 1830 hrs. Agreed.

Report of Service:
Issue 1. Unresolved as Service Advisor believes parts may need to be replaced. Since, a road trip has been planned, I decided to defer further action till my return and take it up at that time. It will be replaced within extended warranty period (ends in April 2012). Agreed to take this up in first week January.
Issue 2. Resolved by replacing Assembly Strut Top Mount (within warranty).
Issue 3. Unresolved, after fiddling with controls for sometime, they didn't want to remove and work on it as it is still within warranty. Advised that if I can deliver the vehicle for one day, they will get it taken to Koramangala service centre and do the needful, if required replace the entire music system. I decided to defer further action till my return and take it up at that time.

Total Costs:
2475.00 - Engine Oil - Synthetic - Castrol Professional Edge 5W40 - 3.3 ltrs - 0315.00 - Oil Filter
0149.12 - 5gm Wheel Weights x 10 nos.
1080.00 - Paid Service for 30,000 kms.
0432.00 - Wheel Balancing
0270.00 - Front Wheel Alignment Check & Adjust
0183.34 - Various taxes/cess etc.
5391.00 - Total Expenses (since I am a gold club member various discounts for labour and parts were applicable).

Overall satisfaction: As usual rated them 10/10 for everything. Left the service centre, very satisfied for the good customer service provided, though a couple of issues still needs to be resolved.

Last edited by pariwar : 20th December 2011 at 11:00.
Old 20th December 2011, 12:46   #135
BHPian

^^ I had the same issue with the blue tooth mic. The problem was traced to the mic cable which had got cut. The cable runs from behind the HU through the front left a-pillar to the mic. The mic is placed behind the IRVM.

For the pairing, did you try a master reset of the HU and repairing again?

@motomaverick: The work on the steering and the door pad is excellent. It is good idea to use black material on the door pad. Wish we had Karlsson in Chennai as I couldn't get anybody who could gaurantee such a finish on the steering wheel of my Manza

Last edited by Sridhar K : 20th December 2011 at 13:12.
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks