Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2013, 13:01   #256
BHPian

re: Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Sorry for the late reply I was out traveling with the Manza to Leh.

1. About the HID mod that you have done? Have you installed projectors?

For your questions on the DieselTronics.

a. Engine cover need not be removed, its a simple plug and play. You just need to remove the sensor plug thats on the left side of the engine and connect the box.
b. Yes, having used the tuning box & remap I am more inclined towards a remap. Recently I completed a cross country 8000 kms run with the remap setting at 120bhp & 260NM torque. The car was a breeze to drive even with a full boot and passengers weighing close to 220 kilos. No strain felt. Though you will not be driving at the top speed on a highway but what makes a difference is the acceleration.
c. Yes, drivability will improve a lot. Hill climb was never a issue with the stock Manza, maybe you should get yours checked before the tuning box. Your top speed will not be effected as thats a mechanical thing but what changes is how fast you get to the ton. That will bring a smile to your face.
d. Cannot comment on the fuel pump life as nothing mechanical has been damaged as of now.
Thanks for the feedback and i was expecting a late reply understanding the Leh trip. Really wanting to know you experience.

Thanks for your useful feedback.

Will answer your query first :

1)HIDs on my Manza are without the projectors:
They are 4300 K.
No projectors because the dealer (wheels car customs) was very clear that the throw of the light will be compromised with even the best quality and most expensive after market projectors. He himself is a importer and retailer of various types of after market projectors but is quite an honest chap.
Please remember that i have blackened the bezel of my headlights which helps in a more concentrated focus of lights.
Also I ALWAYS drive in city with the head lamp setting on lowest focus(setting no. 3). So as to be sure that i am not hurting anybody's eyes. (oncoming traffic, pedestrians etc.)

Now coming back to your suggestion of getting my Manza checked :
No i don't feel there is anything wrong with my Manza . I am pretty sure about that. When i make the remark about hair pin incline and Manza is basically not a complain or a problem in the manza but just a personal observation when compared to a scorpio or a XUV 500 or a Cruze and may be even a swift. (gearing ratios and some other factors/tuning making me feel that way).

Also please note that its not that i am an inexperienced driver for such inclines as many a time i have completed such hair pin inclines on a fully loaded Manza in a 2nd gear whereas my friend got stuck in his light weighted
i10(1.2L) with just 3 onboard. But still would be more happy if the R D Box further enhances this trait of the Manza so that i can take to such hair pin steep inclines more confidently.

My question to your remains :
Practically speaking : Do you feel that adding the RD box will definitely help this trait of the Manza (hair pin steep inclines. ?
Eagerly looking forward to your LEH travelogue(if you can ).
Happy crunching miles on your Manza.
Old 16th September 2013, 15:00   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post

My question to your remains :
Practically speaking : Do you feel that adding the RD box will definitely help this trait of the Manza (hair pin steep inclines. ?
Eagerly looking forward to your LEH travelogue(if you can ).
Happy crunching miles on your Manza.
My bad if you thought it was directed at your driving, was not the intention. To answer your question, yes it does help. In fact I had the good fortune of driving the Manza to Coonoor the very next day after fitting the tuning box and it was taking the Masinagudi hair pins which are pretty steep at few places very easily in 2nd and most of the straight climbs in 3rd. More than the gearing the engine felt less strained and not struggling.

What you can do is to do trial with the tuning box inside a shopping complex parking, though not much of a similarity but I am sure you can find some difference. RD does give you trial opportunity before finalizing the purchase.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 15:15   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No projectors because the dealer (wheels car customs) was very clear that the throw of the light will be compromised with even the best quality and most expensive after market projectors. He himself is a importer and retailer of various types of after market projectors but is quite an honest chap.
Please remember that i have blackened the bezel of my headlights which helps in a more concentrated focus of lights.
From the reading I have done when I searched for HID's, my understanding is that:

1. the projector is (more like) a lens, and helps focus the beam from the HID
-- Check how lamps on vehicles that have projectors with regular Halogen bulbs behave. Eg: Hyndai Elantra (old), Storme etc
--The same bulb can be used without a projector - check the beam pattern in this case. Now put the same bulb in a projector based lamp & see the beam. You will know what is causing the difference in beam pattern.
-- Now do the same for HID lamp with & projector.

2. Putting in the projector is not easy. May be why this guy is asking you go the other way.

How does blackening the bezel help to concentrate the beam ? at the most it can restrict a part of the beam due to lack of reflecting surface in the blackened part.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 16:09   #259
BHPian

Quote:
My bad if you thought it was directed at your driving, was not the intention.
============
RD does give you trial opportunity before finalizing the purchase.
Thanks again Motomaverick, Yes i am aware of the box being fitted on trial basis too . But i assume that one has to convey the decision related to final purchase within 1-2 days or 7 days max. Which i will still avail of before final payment. But wanted to still have your opinion first.
Quote:
Ladakh Drive Report

After having driven the car for more than 8000 kms this month for the Ladakh trip, I thought I will pen down my observations on how the car performed overall.
[*]Mileage; One Word: Good. Manza, always gives good mileage on the highways and this drive was no exception. Overall Bangalore to Bangalore calculation gives me a rough 17kpl over 8000 kms. Which I think is pretty cool for the weight it was lugging around. This average could have been more in a stock car but with the remap there was some spirited driving. [*]Safety; One Word: Tank. Though nothing untoward happened on the trip. But considering the number of under body hits in Ladakh and the kind of roads that it went through, I can salute the build quality of this Tata car. No new rattles have emerged after the trip. That I think says a lot of the improvement in quality. Though my car does not have ABS, braking was never an issue, there were a few high speed braking but nothing scary at all.[/list]
So if anyone is planning to take the Manza on a long long drive across the country, you can close your eyes and complete the trip.
+1 to Motomaverick on the mileage part. It simply brings a to your face realizing the fuel consumption despite the weight (1.25 tons + woofer+other mods+ passengers)

Safety part : Again it is a known fact that Manzas and Vistas under body and underpinnings(special mention) are designed keeping Indian conditions in mind and hence they are definitely more robust then there foreign counterparts.

This reminds me of an incident 8-10months ago where i was driving my Manza on a very narrow road at a speed of not over 20kmph . A cycle cargo carrier carrying LPG cylinders in front of me suddenly lost it and swerved wildly to the centre of the road and i had no time to break and inorder to save him i had to turn the steering wheel only to realize that i have landed the front right wheel of my Manza on the divider. There was dust smoke , a loudish thud noise and a few people from nearby garages running towards me(many garages on that road).
I got down expecting some damage to the under body & the bumper but was astonished to see no damage and the same was confirmed by a garage boy who was already peeping inside . I calmly reversed the car and again inspected the under body visually and drove off. Got the car to Tass next day morning and got it inspected to confirm that there is no damage.
Those words of that garage boy are imprinted in my brain forever. " Tata hai saab , kuch nahi hua gaadi ko, Aur koi gaadi hota toh waat lag jaata."

Having said that i somehow don't find the built quality of the body(bonnet area, both bumpers, boot lid)to be near to Fiats and VWs. But definitely better than most of the japs at this price point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
From the reading I have done when I searched for HID's, my understanding is that:

1. the projector is (more like) a lens, and helps focus the beam from the HID
-- Check how lamps on vehicles that have projectors with regular Halogen bulbs behave. Eg: Hyndai Elantra (old), Storme etc
--The same bulb can be used without a projector - check the beam pattern in this case. Now put the same bulb in a projector based lamp & see the beam. You will know what is causing the difference in beam pattern.
-- Now do the same for HID lamp with & projector.

2. Putting in the projector is not easy. May be why this guy is asking you go the other way.

How does blackening the bezel help to concentrate the beam ? at the most it can restrict a part of the beam due to lack of reflecting surface in the blackened part.
1)yes you are right but i feel that with after market lens while it will helps the focus of the beam, it definitely hampers the complete spread and visibility. This is not applicable to OE projectors IMO.

2)Putting the projectors is not easy : agreed,but this shop in question here (wheels car customs- Andheri link road - next to lotus petrol pump)is quite pro at this job. In fact they have fitted many such projectors on various types and makes of cars. So i guess that was not the reason of him not recommending me the same.
The reason could have been mainly because my first question to him was that i don't want a compromise in head light spread which is very satisfactory right now, i don't mind the cost but do you have such projectors with you? Install it only if you are 100% sure.

3)Blackening of the bezel :Yes you are right it just helps restrict a part of the surface to reflect. Actually my impression is due to the followoing sequence of events :
1st )I got HID installed in stock headlamps of my Manza (wheels car customs : as they were willing to fit them for trial for 7 days and pay only if i am satisfied). While the improvement was tremendous i was skeptical and got them removed next sunday as the glare from HIDs(4300K) was blinding to fellow motorist (personal feeling)
2nd)After a few months WHEELS recommended me smoking the head light bezels to black. They were very sure that they would look very god on Manza triple barrel head lamps. So i went for the same. But next 7 days i was disappointing with the head light spread as same was disturbed due to blackened bezel.
3rd)To make up for the same i then again installed HIDs (4300K) and fortunately with blackened bezel this time the HIDs were not at all hurting to eyes and the beam pattern was very well focused on the road.

Blackening of the bezel removed unwanted throw of the beam thereby giving it a more focused type of pattern.
However projectors / beam focus pattern is a completely different story and mechanics all together.
Old 16th September 2013, 21:50   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
i feel that with after market lens while it will helps the focus of the beam, it definitely hampers the complete spread and visibility. This is not applicable to OE projectors IMO.
projectors are about getting a beam where it helps visibility the most. If you dont use the projectors, you are going to blind the on-coming guy more than you think.

If the aftermarket set-up was that good, then car manufacturers would ahve given that as OE itself. EIther after market lamps, or remove the projectors al together & saved a nice sum of money (they think in terms of single dollars - so a 100+ saving per lamp is something they will jump at )

Beyond this & the points I have mentioned in my earlier post - even giving you examples of simple tests, it is left to you.
Old 16th September 2013, 22:09   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
projectors are about getting a beam where it helps visibility the most. If you dont use the projectors, you are going to blind the on-coming guy more than you think.

If the aftermarket set-up was that good, then car manufacturers would ahve given that as OE itself. EIther after market lamps, or remove the projectors al together & saved a nice sum of money (they think in terms of single dollars - so a 100+ saving per lamp is something they will jump at )

Beyond this & the points I have mentioned in my earlier post - even giving you examples of simple tests, it is left to you.
Well I am not here to debate about projectors. In my previous post I have expressed my agreement to your previous post twice.

As far as blinding the traffic goes. I have checked with various people about my headlights and I am very sure that they are not hurting anyone's eyes. I mentioned the same to motomaverick even without he mentioning/asking/expressing this concern. Please go through my posts again. Also I think now we are getting OT here . Let us not hijack motomaverick's beautifully compiled thread . Last but not the least, I may go for the experiment of projectors time permitting soonest.
Old 19th September 2013, 17:48   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Ladakh Drive Report

After having driven the car for more than 8000 kms this month for the Ladakh trip, I thought I will pen down my observations on how the car performed overall.
Awesome! Congratulations. Is this the first Manza-Ladakh trip? At least that I'm aware of. As usual, good show. You make us Manza owners, proud.
Old 19th September 2013, 18:23   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrvarier View Post
Awesome! Congratulations. Is this the first Manza-Ladakh trip? At least that I'm aware of. As usual, good show. You make us Manza owners, proud.
Maybe not sure, but it was fun. You should also drive up there sometime, though we need to be careful but its fun.
Old 19th September 2013, 18:53   #264
BHPian

Is there a log to your trip? Been a while since am away from the forum. Swamped at work!
Old 19th September 2013, 19:06   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrvarier View Post
Is there a log to your trip? Been a while since am away from the forum. Swamped at work!
Yeah in fact there is one going on currently in the Travelogue section. 25-0-40 downunder to upover - Leh'd2013
Old 3rd October 2013, 21:45   #266
Senior - BHPian

A visit to Hesaraghetta

In recent times I have missed quite a few Team-bhp outings due to one reason or the other, so this last Sunday when the team had gone to Kanva dam, my wife and I visited Hesaraghetta on the day of our anniversary. Here are some pictures from the small trip to the last real grasslands of Bangalore.

One of the newest and better sections of NICE road
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-hirakdeepaanniversary8.jpg

Full view of the sorrounds
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-hirakdeepaanniversary9.jpg

The ever smiling whale
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-hirakdeepaanniversary11.jpg

As soon as you enter the grasslands, you will be greeted with this sight
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-hirakdeepaanniversary12.jpg

Sorrounded by little forest, the place is a perfect spot for picnic. But alas! like all other tourist places, no one cares about keeping it clean
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-hirakdeepaanniversary13.jpg

Evening times are pretty good for photography they say,
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-hirakdeepaanniversary14.jpg

Tree not big enough for providing shade to the white whale
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-hirakdeepaanniversary16.jpg

New found friend for the whale
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-hirakdeepaanniversary19.jpg

There were some folks flying radio controlled airplanes, since the place does not have any overhead wires or nearby trees, it is perfect for these activities
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-hirakdeepaanniversary20.jpg

Basking in the setting sun
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-hirakdeepaanniversary23.jpg

Smiling at the last rays of the sun
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-hirakdeepaanniversary29.jpg

It is time to run (please do not mind the picture, it is not sharp)
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-hirakdeepaanniversary30.jpg
Old 7th October 2013, 11:27   #267
Senior - BHPian

White Whale completes 40k kms

The car finally crossed the 40000 mark this past weekend after a quick trip to Bargur, Tamil Nadu. It has been 2 years of blissful ownership, through some happy to sad to adventurous situations.

So I think it is only fitting to pay a tribute to probably the best put together car from Tata Motors.

Kms Completed 40045
Time Taken 2 years 1 month
Places It has taken
  • Mysore - 3 times
  • Coorg - 1 time
  • Ooty - 3 times
  • Coonoor - 1 time
  • Goa - 2 times
  • Kochi - 1 time
  • Yercaud - 1 time
  • Ladakh - 1 time

States it has covered
  • Karnataka (Home state)
  • Tamil Nadu
  • Kerala
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Goa
  • Maharashtra
  • Rajasthan
  • Haryana
  • Punjab
  • J&K

Here is the customary speedo picture
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-speedo-reading.jpg

A little picture tribute over these past two years

The car waiting to be delivered to us on 12th Sept 2011
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-tata-manza-white-whale01.jpg

Getting the keys to the White Whale, it did not know where it would be made to travel
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-tata-manza-white-whale02.jpg

The Gods showered their blessings that Monday evening, with rains as soon as we left the showroom
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-tata-manza-white-whale04.jpg

Its first trip out of Bangalore to the hills of Ooty
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-tata-manza-white-whale05.jpg

Got some TLC with leathering wrapping of Steering wheel
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-tata-manza-white-whale06.jpg

It got the black leather treatment for the door pads as well
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-tata-manza-white-whale07.jpg

Its first trip to Goa
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-tata-manza-white-whale09.jpg

Got its wheels changed to these sparkling alloys
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-tata-manza-white-whale10.jpg

After the alloys it took us to another trip to Ooty
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-tata-manza-white-whale11.jpg

The car then took us to Kochi to help us attend a friends marriage
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-kochi84.jpg

Then it took us to Goa through Jog Falls and then come back via Amboli
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-tatamanzawhitewhale12.jpg

Here it stands tall in Amboli Ghats
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-tata-manza-white-whale13.jpg

With cosmetics done, it was time to put in some performance, and it tasted the RD box
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-tuningbox.jpg

The next day itself it took to Coonoor
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-tata-manza-white-whale14.jpg

Sometime this year beginning it took us for a quick lunch in Yercaud
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-_mg_9914.jpg

After using the RD box for some time, it was time to up the ante with some performance tuning from Tune-O-Tronics, this necessitated a new sticker
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-lecday66.jpg

Then the mother of all trips happened to Ladakh, it brought us safely up Zojila
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-tata-manza-white-whale15.jpg

It had all sorts of quotes written on its butt
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-tata-manza-white-whale16.jpg

Drove through foggy mornings
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-tata-manza-white-whale17.jpg

Crossed some ice cold water crossings
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-tata-manza-white-whale18.jpg

Drove on some beautiful highways
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-tata-manza-white-whale19.jpg

Finally basking in the sun after all the fun it has had in these 2 years
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-tata-manza-white-whale21.jpg

To sum it up, this car has taken us to places Tata Motors itself would not have dreamt of and came out with flying colors. It is undoubtedly the finest car to come out of Tata.

I am sure it is here to stay with us for many more years to come and kilometers to cover.
motomaverick is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 18:20   #268

Awesome Thread by motomaverick . Hachi's story and your updated post 40K KM clock makes all Manza owners proud of their possession. I have been following your thread for a while now and quit impressed with your inscription skills. Look forward to read more of your posts.

I brought my Manza Aura ABS last year in July. The car just completed 10K on its odo (yes thats nothing compared to Hatchi's running record but I wanted to share my ownership experience (1 year) with those who may come to this thread looking for reviews/ratings.

Manza-Q-Jet is definitely one of the most underrated cars, but understandably; the negatives are because of 3 major reasons:
1- Taxi image of TATA cars
2- Tacky plastics used have bad finish and doesn't stand good as compared to Hyundai / Honda / Toyota et-all.
3- Constant niggles in TATA cars has become an irritant one would prefer avoiding by spending an extra lac or slightly higher

Not to forget their after sales service at dealership was undoubtedly the most troubling until last year or so. However; it has certainly improved by leaps now and to be honest it does feel powerful to be a TATA car owner because they do work and close loop on your complaints.

Performance - Car performance is certainly above average with chunk of additional features generally available in cars of the next up-budget bracket. Manza is a delight to drive on highways and has remained unshaken even on speeds above 150KM/hr. 100- 120KM/hr doesn't even feel like you are on high speed (by Indian standards). I can confidently say that Manza can easily match and even outdo a Honda and Toyota when it comes to stability on high speeds, particularly on highways. (I did an avg 160KM/hr for over an hour on Yamuna expressway with 4 passengers and a full load in boot.)

The clutch and gear ratios though are a tad tough for city driving but this is fairly compensated by the driver seat comfort and better road visibility. However the fact remains; it does tire your foot in traffic and typical city driving if you are on road for over an hour. The clutch feels a bit tight after a while. If changing gears frequently doesn’t trouble you much, it does impact maneuverability and fuel consumption in city.

If brand image doesn't bother you much and you really want to stick to your budget and still want/need a spacious/executive like/budget friendly/sturdy and fresh looking car; Manza Diesel is the one you should definitely test drive.

Another advice to all interested in Manza; please read the most recent reviews from Manza owners before you strike it off your check list as the initial owners of Manza do appear to be correct in their negative ratings because of the above listed reasons. To reiterate; car build quality and after sales service has improved at least by 200% during the last year and a half.

Good luck!
Van
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-img2012070100031.jpg  

vanatlarj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 21:27   #269
Team-BHP Support

Congrts. It sure has been a very good and faithful one for these years. And as you said, it has seen the places.

Wish you many more. And whats more ?
Darjeeling, Sikkim ?
Old 8th November 2013, 13:19   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanatlarj View Post
Awesome Thread by motomaverick . Hachi's story and your updated post 40K KM clock makes all Manza owners proud of their possession. I have been following your thread for a while now and quit impressed with your inscription skills. Look forward to read more of your posts.

I brought my Manza Aura ABS last year in July. The car just completed 10K on its odo (yes thats nothing compared to Hatchi's running record but I wanted to share my ownership experience (1 year) with those who may come to this thread looking for reviews/ratings.
Hey thanks for sharing your ownership here. So you bought just before the Club class came out? Because I heard that club class has a few other changes. The top of the line is really good. Well it sure is a tough car because I am still running it these days after the Leh trip without a service but just fluid top ups done and believe me no niggles absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Congrts. It sure has been a very good and faithful one for these years. And as you said, it has seen the places.

Wish you many more. And whats more ?
Darjeeling, Sikkim ?
Yeah, actually Bhutan is on the radar but contemplating whether to subject the sedan to another round of abuse or get an SUV

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks