Team-BHP - Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/106939-tata-manza-story-ends-45-000-kms.html)

I wanted to post the story of buying a new family car and will keep updating this post with regular updates about Ownership. Mods if this is not the time to post here in this thread please keep this thread locked untill ownership starts if required :)

Prologue

The story begins with Travel, we are or rather were driving a 2004 Maruti Zen (First Car purchased 2nd) from 2009 Sept onwards. Till date added 40k kms in 2 years, it has served us well and we called it lovely as "Mr. Miyagi." It was a super car to drive on highways due to its low CG and used belt a lot of small cars. No offence to anyone but it was having Alto, Indica, Santro, i10 for breakfast. But in recent times our family mainly in-laws also started participating on our highway errands and it used to get quite cumbersome to drive it with all luggage and 5 adults.

So our hunt started for a car with a boot, what we all call it "Sedan".

Research

Before we started to hunt for a Sedan, we had noted down the following criteria:

1. It had to be a diesel [my condition]
2. It had to have a boot for the luggage & the sub [my condition]
3. It had to have a comfortable rear seat for 3 adults [wife’s condition]
4. It had to have a high mileage [wife’s condition]

So armed with these 4 conditions we started looking around. Initially our search was for a used car due to budget constraints, but then another criterion kicked in

5. It had to have low maintaince with warranty [wife’s condition]

Now with the above condition obviously we had to rule out 2nd and go for a new car which gives us the warranty for at least 4 years. Due to this our budget inflated to around 7-9L OTR. This budget did not stop us from Test driving almost all of the C segment diesel sedans.

Test Drives
Our Test drives like I mentioned were not restricted by our budget and we zeroed down on the following cars
1. Hyundai Verna 1.6
2. Volkswagen Vento
3. Tata Manza Quadrajet
4. Mahindra Verito
5. Maruti Dzire vdi
6. Ford Fiesta Classic
7. Fiat Linea

Hyundai Verna
This was the first car we test drove. They had brought the SXO variant which I believe is the top end. I really liked the customer service of Hyundai which was very prompt and they were punctual in their appointment. The car at first glance looks really good. Nice fluidic design with sharp lines thrown in for good measure. Sat inside and the cabin is quite roomy with beige interiors and host of goodies and gizmos welcome you in the cockpit.

The family comprising of wife, sister, and mom in-law sat at the back. The first comment that I received from my better half was the seat was very very low.

Completed the test drive all went fine except for the brakes. May be it was test car but the brake was very soft and the car hit a speed breaker in HSR layout very hard.

+ve
1. Really good engine, with 110bhp it feels like a rocket
2. Good amount of safety features including air bags
3. Roomy interiors
4. Nice design

-ve
1. Brakes are awful I am not sure but the Sales Person mentioned this is a new car
2. Rear seat comfort is limited with low seating and curves back support at the ends. Can seat 2 but not 3 adults

We rejected the Verna as it was not fulfilling our 1 criteria plus it had a waiting period of 5 months. Now who is going to wait for that long for a new car?

Volkswagen Vento & Mahindra Verito
We actually never got to drive this car, I booked for a test drive through their website, got a call back within 10 mins that someone from the showroom will call and book the test drive. The guy from the showroom did call, and said that we can test drive on Sat but that call never came. I guess VW & Mahindra really does not want to sell its cars or it has sold a lot and is not bothered. We also decided not to call and looked away.

Ford Fiesta Classic
I had heard good reviews of this car, especially from one of my friend Unni, who drove his Fiesta in the GQ for 6k kms. So off we went the entire platoon one of the weekends to drive the Fiesta. This was the Sxi version that we drove and I really liked the car, specially the front seats. The equipment level was lesser than the Verna but somehow the car felt solid.

The rear passengers also were not complaining though the person in the middle was a tad uncomfortable due to the arm rest. But that was slightly negated but the suspension setup of the fiesta which is just perfect neither too soft nor too stiff. The small test drive was really good, though there was no Verna like take-off when you press the accelerator but the speeds it could attain was enhanced but its handling

+ve
1. Really good handling and suspension
2. Rear seat comfort was good, better than Verna
3. Nice design that does not fade away with time

-ve
1. Boot space was a tad less than the Verna
2. The lower variants which we could afford did not have many goodies like fog lamps (This I feel should be standard on all variants)

We did not reject this car immediately, in fact we shortlisted it from the 8 cars and it was ranked #1 in our list, of course we had driven only 2 cars till now.

Maruti Dzire
Having owned a Maruti for quite these last 2 years we had started to like its quality especially after nothing was broken in the Zen despite heavy thrashing on the Indian highways. So we assumed the same for the Dzire. Frankly, I did not want this in my initial list since I did not quite like the add-on boot on a swift, plus it kind of looked like fat cow specially the white ones :)

Nonetheless on the insistence of wife, we went to try that out as well. We were given a Zdi to drive. It is the top variant but somehow it did not feel like one once you are seated inside. The rear seat again has a curved back support at the ends that really kills additional space to seat 3 adults. With the black interiors the car actually makes you feel claustrophobic. But what I liked was it was using the Fiat MJD. The test drive was small and over broken roads near bellandur. I was put off by the fact that they did not allow me to drive in the Tata Croma section of the outer ring road which has some space to stretch its legs.

Anyhow what I did try was the suspension setup in those small broken roads, the rear folks were literally tossed around and after the drive they commented that they nearly wanted to puke. But somehow at the front I did not feel anything at all. Then I realized that due to the additional boot the design was not changed much and hence, the rear portion is quite wobbly

+ve
1. Really good engine which somehow manages to pull the car cleanly
2. Good front seat comfort
3. Maruti reliability can be taken as a plus (At least in my book)

-ve
1. Rear seat is really cramped. In fact my folks felt the Zen rear bench and space was better than the Dzire
2. The equipment levels in the Vdi are limited
3. Wait list of 3 months

We had to reject the Maruti due to the –ve’s pointed above. Plus when we compared to the Manza equipment list it felt over priced

Tata Manza
Now we moved to the Tata’s. A lot of folks and when I saw a lot, I mean all of my friends, relatives were against Tata due to the –ve name they had got themselves due to some under quality products and after sales. But then one fine day I read good review by a Manza owner in Mouthshut and I thought why not try this car as well, maybe the quality has changed as they say. So off we went to Prerna Motors on Sarjapura Road. It was a Sunday and I felt the roads would be clear to drive the car. Beforehand itself over the phone call I had mentioned to the Sales person that I would require a long test drive since we were keen to buy a car within a few weeks.

The car was a black Aura variant, which was battered quite a lot and I think it was a BSIII. Some low points on the condition of the test car. Opened the door sat inside and I was instantly welcomed by the acres of space inside enhanced more by the vanilla & black interior color combo. One look straight ahead and you are welcomed by the really good speedo console (I like the fonts used, I think its Calibri :) ) Then it hit me that the steering is low and somehow blocking my view of the speedo. The SP immediately adjusted the steering for rake stating that this feature comes with this variant. I was impressed that Tata is giving steering adjustment in that price bracket (Points are level after the initial deduction)

Rear folks were seated, I was inviting the same folks for all the test drives as I felt they could compare more than inviting new folks every time. I gave more brownie points to the Manza after I heard my wife say, “Wow! There’s so much space even after the 3 of us seated”

Started the car, no waiting for the coil as was customary in the earlier friends Indica that I drove for 400kms. Car pulled cleanly without stalling and quickly gains 60kph with the turbo helping somewhat after 1800 revs. Yes, there is a lag below that but the good thing I noticed in Manza, Fiesta & Verna is that in 2nd gear especially, after you release the clutch the revs of the engine takes the car forward and then starts to drop at which point we press the accelerator and the speeds continue. This I found really good especially in bumper to bumper traffic despite the lag.

The suspension setup is also really good, we drove through the construction in Bellandur flyover and the numerous potholes gave ample opportunity to test out the car, never really felt anything, I guess coming from a Zen this was a luxury since the Zen really tells you what kind of road you are travelling.

Let’s look at the performance; the Manza carries the same Fiat MJD as Swift, Dzire, Linea, Punto etc. It boasts of 90bhp same as the linea but being a little lighter may carry more bhp/ton. But the engine has been setup to give you mileage and hence the power delivery is quite linear and you don’t feel the turbo jerk as much as the Verna or Swift. I quite liked the engine as I thought it will be a good highway mile muncher. Though the 1.3L may run of breath at higher speeds but in our highways if you can cruise at 120 and maintain avg speeds of 80kph will be quite fast. But I know this car won’t be a corner hugger as the Zen and you will face slight under steer when taking high speed corners.
+ve
1. Space, space, and some more space
2. VFM when you consider the things that you can buy for 7.5L OTR
3. Reliable and proven MJD engine
4. No more Indigo lineage observed though they have stuck to the Indigo name
5. Sales Rep customer service was good as he was very accommodating and knowledgeable
-ve
1. 1.3L seems small for a car this size
2. Handling is compromised for comfort, could have achieved a balance like the Fiesta
3. Tata service is still suspect so will need to find a good service center

So Manza is obviously shortlisted and is added above the Fiesta in rank.

Fiat Linea
We were able to test drive the Linea the same day as Fiat shares the same showroom. It was an Emotion variant and had all the goodies. The first thing that you notice about the linea is the solidity. The doors just shut with a loud thud and its way different than the Japs.
The drive was short but the car is very comfortable. Did not notice the 2nd gear launch as observed in Manza once the clutch was released, don’t know if its inherent but if it’s not there then bumper to bumper might be a tad difficult considering the lag that is observed.

Overall it’s the same engine and performance was good, really liked the dash which was made really well and the equipment level, fit and finish is above the Manza. Rear passenger seat is also comfortable on par with the Manza but the GC is pretty low and you really have to be very slow in Bangalore speed humps

+ve
1. Quite a good amount of space provided including the boot
2. Nice solid built made to last
3. Reliable and proven MJD engine
4. One of the best handlers on par with the Ford and is a driver’s car around swooping corners
-ve
1. 1.3L seems small for a car this size and weight
2. Service is a suspect due to the Tata collaboration
3. Starting range has next no equipment’s at all.

Selection & Booking

So the top 3 cars that we short listed were
1. Manza
2. Fiesta
3. Linea
Why we choose the Manza? Well first and foremost the price of the car fitted nicely into our budget, secondly the entire family liked the car a lot. I for one liked the drivability, I am into no drag races so outright performance was not a criterion at all but the kind of equipment you get for the price is quite good.

We decided to go for the Aura variant, it gives you fog lamps, mid, etc. for an OTR of 7.67L including extended warranty. The looks actually grow on you. I for one did not quite like the rear 3 quarters initially but after a couple of drives and seeing the vehicle in flesh the looks grew on me and I started liking the Cadillac kind of boot if I can conjure a comparison.

Booking process was pretty simple hardly took an hour. But before the booking the next headache that we had was choosing a color. Thank god for Tata that they have limited colors for the Manza Aura. And it was a choice between the Red and the White. We decided to go for the white as the color would not fade over time and also looks bright at night.

Checked with the dealer and he informed that they do have a white in stock and delivery date was fixed for 9th September. So the agonizing wait for the “D” day starts.

Oh yes, in between I do plan to visit the stockyard with the SP to check on the car and do some self PDI so that they are giving us a new car, this was agreed to happen this coming Saturday.

So what happened to Mr.Miyagi? Well the Zen was bought off by Tata for an estimated amount of 1.52L including 20k exchange bonus, which I feel is a pretty good amount considering that the model is basic without power steering and being driven for so much.

So until this Saturday stay tight for the next update and upcoming initial ownership experience.

Hey congrats on your new car. The Manza is a great car. Even I was blown away by the huge space it offers. And everytime someone sits on the back seat you can proudly tell them that the angle of inclination is the same as the merc! ;)

Just a word of caution though: Please make sure you check the VIN number and see the date of assembly. Why am I saying this? Because 1.3L ( not taking into account the 20k exchange bonus) seems a bit too high for your base model zen. That too you are the second owner and it has run quite some on the Odo too.

@motomaverick,

Congratulations on the Manza buy. This was the only car which fitted to a T for your requirements.

Waiting for your detailed ownership thread with lots of pics.

That's a very well compiled report. Thanks for sharing! Congrats on your new baby. Wishing you many miles with it:).

The Dzire is a tarmac queen. It can handle flat roads with ease, broken roads are best left untested. And I agree with the front being more comfortable than the rear. About the rear, yes, its cramped. But 3 medium built adults can sit comfortably.

A very neat & crisp report indeed motomaverick. Congrats on your new car. Looking forward to a detailed report with pics.

Congratulations on the booking. I'm sure the Manza will suit your pocket and the family will appreciate the space and efficiency. It may not appeal so much to those who love to drive, but it is definitely practical. And at the price of most other petrols, it does make a good case for itself.

Good decision, IMHO. Looking forward to a similarly detailed ownership experience!

Motomaverick,
congratulations are in order for the new manza.
Seeing your family's penchant for long drives together, I think this could be the only sedan in the budget, which could accomodate all the family members with luggage plus also satisfy the driver in you with the equipments it offer.
Though must admit the handling is not one to rave about, but it does it work nicely.

I so pleaded to my FIL to have a look at Manza, but he couldn't get beyond the taxi image of Tata's and finally bought the Etios :(.

Compared to Manza, he got next to nothing in the equipments for the money he paid.

Looking forward to your experiences here.

Hirak,

Had not seen this till now before I saw your post in FB today morning. Appreciate the effort to write it up :thumbs up Looking forward to a detailed write up from 9th Sep :)

Motomaverick,

Congrats Mate.Well thought-out purchase and well putout review.

Can't wait till Saturday for more news and those snaps inside/outside.

Enjoy your ride and drive safe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 2487154)
Because 1.3L ( not taking into account the 20k exchange bonus) seems a bit too high for your base model zen. That too you are the second owner and it has run quite some on the Odo too.

Well, looking at what we were offered for a bog standard 7yr old Maruti 800 a year and half back, I am not at all surprised at the amount they are offering you for the Zen.

We were offered 75thousand for an '02 M800 with 85k on the odo, without so much as a test drive taken by the Tata Assured people. Dont know what their business model is but Tata buy 2nd hand cars at a much higher price than Maruti, who are probably the only other big player in the market. In our case, after a 20min test drive, and despite knowing the fact that the car had been entirely serviced at MASS for the entire 7 years, Maruti Tru Value had offered us only 55thousand.

Congratulations on your new car. A nice and crisp review.

Waiting for exterior and interior pics of your car.

Wishing you happy and safe driving.

Many congrats on your new steed!

The MANZA is indeed a very competent vehicle. It is a huge leap ahead from the Indigo's of yore - but somehow Tata Motors have failed to cash in on the Manza's strengths. Honestly, I think the MANZA is better than the Etios at that price point. Its just that the Tata badge doesn't have the snob appeal of a Toyota and hence the poor Manza is shunned by the car buying populace.

Although I do not own a Manza but know many of my friends who do and they are genuinely happy with the product.

Congrats once again. Wish you many miles of happy and safe motoring.

Congratulations for the new car.
Manza surely is a VFM car and will not disappoint you on that.
Please post pictures taken during PDI this Saturday.

HC

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 2487154)
Hey congrats on your new car. The Manza is a great car. Even I was blown away by the huge space it offers. And everytime someone sits on the back seat you can proudly tell them that the angle of inclination is the same as the merc! ;)

Just a word of caution though: Please make sure you check the VIN number and see the date of assembly. Why am I saying this? Because 1.3L ( not taking into account the 20k exchange bonus) seems a bit too high for your base model zen. That too you are the second owner and it has run quite some on the Odo too.

Thanks Mohit, yes i plan to check the VIN & the PDI list this coming weekend once the car is allotted in my name.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 2487177)
@motomaverick,

Congratulations on the Manza buy. This was the only car which fitted to a T for your requirements.

Waiting for your detailed ownership thread with lots of pics.

Thanks, yes the Manza matched our requirements to the T.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachinj12 (Post 2487197)
That's a very well compiled report. Thanks for sharing! Congrats on your new baby. Wishing you many miles with it:).

The Dzire is a tarmac queen. It can handle flat roads with ease, broken roads are best left untested. And I agree with the front being more comfortable than the rear. About the rear, yes, its cramped. But 3 medium built adults can sit comfortably.

The Dzire feels like a tarmac queen more so because of how the turbo spools i feel but I felt the Manza is more than competitive as both the cars handling is suspect :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by arup.misra (Post 2487295)
A very neat & crisp report indeed motomaverick. Congrats on your new car. Looking forward to a detailed report with pics.

Thanks Arup, hope it helps future buyers

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeluM (Post 2487333)
Congratulations on the booking. I'm sure the Manza will suit your pocket and the family will appreciate the space and efficiency. It may not appeal so much to those who love to drive, but it is definitely practical. And at the price of most other petrols, it does make a good case for itself.

Good decision, IMHO. Looking forward to a similarly detailed ownership experience!

Yes, ownership report coming soon before that a PDI report.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fordmanchau (Post 2487375)
Motomaverick,
congratulations are in order for the new manza.
Seeing your family's penchant for long drives together, I think this could be the only sedan in the budget, which could accomodate all the family members with luggage plus also satisfy the driver in you with the equipments it offer.
Though must admit the handling is not one to rave about, but it does it work nicely.

I so pleaded to my FIL to have a look at Manza, but he couldn't get beyond the taxi image of Tata's and finally bought the Etios :(.

Compared to Manza, he got next to nothing in the equipments for the money he paid.

Looking forward to your experiences here.

Thats where the Manza scores on most counts specially the Diesel, the price point is too good with the kind of equipment list it provides. I checked with the Fiesta classic Lxi & Clxi and both did not offer fog lamps as an example.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinu99@gmail.co (Post 2487402)
Hirak,

Had not seen this till now before I saw your post in FB today morning. Appreciate the effort to write it up :thumbs up Looking forward to a detailed write up from 9th Sep :)

Hey thanks Vinod, looking forward to driving with you once the break in period is over :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by charthom (Post 2487480)
Motomaverick,

Congrats Mate.Well thought-out purchase and well putout review.

Can't wait till Saturday for more news and those snaps inside/outside.

Enjoy your ride and drive safe.

Yeah, infact i can't wait for 9th, the time is just not flying :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by julupani (Post 2487510)
Well, looking at what we were offered for a bog standard 7yr old Maruti 800 a year and half back, I am not at all surprised at the amount they are offering you for the Zen.

We were offered 75thousand for an '02 M800 with 85k on the odo, without so much as a test drive taken by the Tata Assured people. Dont know what their business model is but Tata buy 2nd hand cars at a much higher price than Maruti, who are probably the only other big player in the market. In our case, after a 20min test drive, and despite knowing the fact that the car had been entirely serviced at MASS for the entire 7 years, Maruti Tru Value had offered us only 55thousand.

Very true, infact the Tata guy informed 1.3 initially but then after examination he quoted 2k more. In Bangalore thats a pretty good price since i feel Zens do cost more in Bangalore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluevolt (Post 2487620)
Congratulations on your new car. A nice and crisp review.

Waiting for exterior and interior pics of your car.

Wishing you happy and safe driving.

Thanks, yes pics & review coming up soon :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by arjab (Post 2487647)
Many congrats on your new steed!

The MANZA is indeed a very competent vehicle. It is a huge leap ahead from the Indigo's of yore - but somehow Tata Motors have failed to cash in on the Manza's strengths. Honestly, I think the MANZA is better than the Etios at that price point. Its just that the Tata badge doesn't have the snob appeal of a Toyota and hence the poor Manza is shunned by the car buying populace.

Although I do not own a Manza but know many of my friends who do and they are genuinely happy with the product.

Congrats once again. Wish you many miles of happy and safe motoring.

Yes the Tata badge was a deterrent for me as well but on the behest of a friend & some review i TD the car and that was booked :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habanero City (Post 2487893)
Congratulations for the new car.
Manza surely is a VFM car and will not disappoint you on that.
Please post pictures taken during PDI this Saturday.

HC

Yes, even i hoping that it will not disappoint on all the counts that we were considering when hunting for a car.

motomaverick,

Congratulations on your new acquisition.

Manza is one car that is surely under-appreciated by the market. It deserves better numbers than what it is doing now. Manza plays to Tata's strengths perfectly, i.e., space, equipment, VFM, and fine finish.

The after-sales experience depends a lot on the service center as it is reported inconsistent from one center to another. If your service center is good and closer to your home, then it will be the icing on the cake.

How do you feel parting with Mr. Miyagi? Yes, the Manza in white looks majestic. Waiting to hear the delivery and ownership experience with lots of pictures.

murillo