Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2011, 15:29   #1
BHPian

Scorpio MHawk, SLE: Initial Ownership Report @2,500 kms

Hi

I bought a Scorpio 2.2 MHawk SLE on 3rd July, 2011. Here is a brief on my initial ownership experience:

Car & Variant: Scorpio 2.2 MHawk SLE, 7 seater
Colour: Rocky Beige
Ex-Showroom Price Delhi:9.21 lacs
On Road Price with Haryana Registration: 9.89 lacs
Dealer: Bhasin Motors, Mohan Cooperative, Mathura Road, Delhi
Accessories installed:
1. 4 Mahindra Alloys: Rs 20,000
2. Mahindra Roof mounted carrier: Rs 8,500
3. Rear Parking Sensor from Mahindra: Rs 3,000
4. Anti rust and corrosion treatment with 2 years warranty: Rs 5,000
5. Autocop Gear Lock: Rs 3,000
6. Seat covers, mats and Teflon treatment: Rs 4,500 (struck a deal with the dealer)
Kms done till date: 2,500
After market Music System: Alpine head unit with USB, Aux inputs and CD player. 2 JBL 6” speakers for the front and 2 JBL 6x9” speakers for the rear: Rs 22,000

Other cars I currently own: SX4 VXi. I have posted a long term ownership report (62,000 kms) on that @ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...roduction.html

Back ground:
I got married almost 4 years back and at that time (now too) I had the SX4. For my wife’s office commute we bought a second hand wagon-r. We were not too gung-ho on it but that was the only thing we could afford at that time. That car served us well but my wife always missed having her own ‘new car’ and I agree with her on that; a new car is a real head rush!! However, we never really worked towards a new car till about 18 months back. Then, as we saved some money in the bank we started a new car more serious thought. There was no pressing need except a deep desire for a new car. Thus started my research on cars (about the same time I discovered TBHP).

At this point I would like to shed some light on my family; and this is not off-topic . I stay in Gurgaon with my wife. My parents, sister & her husband and child, my wife’s parents, her brother and wife, aunt-uncle, their kids with their respective spouses all stay in Delhi and are all very close to each other. We also like planning weekend trips about 3-4 times a year. So for any trip there are always a minimum of 6-8 people. This was also an influencing factor, though not the primary driver in the decision of what car to buy

Alternatives considered:
Since the time we planned on a new car, I researched everything from the Fabia, the Polo, i20, the Etios, the Suma Grande Mark II, the Bolero CRDE, the Xylo and the Safari (might be forgetting a few)

The daily driving would primarily be by my wife to her office and back, about a 11 km round trip with about 80-100 kms each weekend

Even though I have never driven one, my heart had for a long long time been set on the Bolero; there is something about that car, something that I can’t put my finger on, that really draws my admiration. However, given that my wife would be doing most of the driving and the family including the elders would at times be passengers I thought we needed something more refined. So, sadly that was the end of the Bolero for me

I then for some time moved on to researching small cars and focussed on the Fabia and the Polo, with the 1.6 litre petrol engines; I had had it with the 1.1 Litre wagon-r engine and was in no mood for another sluggish car. Both the Fabia and Polo have the same 1.6 L engine, which I thought would be quite a performer for a hatch. These cars would have cost me around 6.75 lacs on road. Thought about it for a while but then thought that so much money for a hatch didn’t make much sense. Additionally got really scared with the *** reputation of the Skoda and was not too sure about the *** of the VW as well. So, out the window went these options. Researched the Etios, but that did not somehow ring my bell. In the meanwhile a very close friend of mine sold his Alto and bought the Scorpio. I drove that on a trip to Hisar and so did my wife and I think from that point on, it was only going to be a SUV for us!!

Thought about the Safari, but had heard almost every one say that it is a monster on maintenance costs. I do not know how true this is but with everyone speaking of it as a money drain, I decided against it. I thought about the Xylo for a long time as I think utility-wise it is best suited for our needs and is extremely comfortable as well. But the Xylo has ABS only on the top model which is about as expensive as the Scorpio SLE, or a bit more I think and I didn’t fancy spending more money on a Xylo than a Scorpio (mental block).

So finally we ended up zeroing in on the Scorpio. Family suggested that we should buy a Vento or a City if we were going to spend close to 10 lacs, but we were having none of it!! We thought that a sedan may be more comfortable and may have better ride quality, but given that the new car would be driven for only 11 kms each day, it didn’t really matter what car we had. Our perceived advantage with the Scorpio is that you can take it anywhere (road trips, mountains, etc) and I love road trips and with a vehicle like the Scorpio I have alot more options that I can drive to (Leh)!! We have been planning a Leh trip for close to a year now and are finally going on 9th Sep. The Leh plan also played a crucial part in us finally firming up our buying decision.

I was considering the base model but chose the SLE for the sole reason that it has ABS, which I think is much needed on a car that big.

Dealer Experience, including TD, purchase, delivery, etc:

My wife and I had both driven the Scorpio earlier but wanted a TD so we could evaluate from a buyer’s perspective. My parents stay near India Gate and when I bought my SX4 in 2007, I had TD the Logan as well from Bhasin Motors in South Extension. I remembered that and I called them for a TD of the Scorpio. They told me that they had shifted the setup for the M&M cars to Mohan Cooperative but would come for a TD. I called them on a thursday for a TD on the following Saturday. The sales rep arrived more or less on time with a driver and a brand new white SLE which had 96 kms on the Odo. My drive drove it around India Gate, Khan Market, Pandara Road for about 2-3 kms and we told the sales rep that we would think and get back to him. This was in early June. We were told that a black/white SLE would take 4-5 weeks for delivery and the rocky beige would take 3-4 weeks. We had initially planned on a white Scorpio, but looking at the white TD vehicle didn’t really excite us. So after a few days thought and figuring out how much loan we would have to take, we finally booked the Scorpio SLE Rocky Beige with a commitment of Rs 30,000. We were told that the delivery would take 3-4 weeks. Negotiated with the dealer for a discount on seat covers, mats and Teflon job.

In the interim we decided that we would get M&M alloys put. I went to M&M site and decided on a set that cost Rs 4,750 per wheel, i.e. 19,000 for a set of 4. I called the sales rep and told him about the model that I wanted. He put me through to the accessories chap who told me that the set of 4 would cost Rs 27,000!! I told him to recheck because the website quotes a much lower price. He gave me some gyan about taxes, etc, which was all bull. I called back after 2 days but still he told me the price is Rs 27,000. This went on for few days and then I finally wrote to M&M customer care. M&M customer care forwarded the mail I had written to the GM at Bhasin Motors, who promptly called me and resolved the issue in about half a day. Finally, I got 4 alloys for Rs 20,000.

As the time for delivery approached nearer, I was told I would get the car on Sunday, 3rd July. About a week before the date, I started calling people to sell our wagon-r. I sold the car on Saturday, 2nd July. Incidentally, I called up Bhasin Motors on 2nd to ask at what time I should come to pick the car the next day. To my dismay, I was told that it would take 3-4 more days as all the accessories were not available. My problem was that I had sold the wagon r and without a second car I would be in a spot of bother. The sales rep told me that he would deliver the car to Gurgaon after 3-4 days, to which I immediately declined, because I did not want the M&M driver driving my new car across the city; I think I was a little paranoid about the car not being driven beyond 2000 rpm during the breaking in period of a 1000 kms. After my talk to the sales rep I called the GM, who assured me that the car would be ready when promised. True to his word, the car was ready the next day but without the seat covers, which I was told were not available at that time (I got them put a week later). I had planned on picking up the car myself but there was some delay so I let the M&M folks deliver it till my parents place. They delivered it with a bouquet and some chocolate, which was really nice. The reading on the Odo was about 100 kms at the time of delivery, which I guess is ok for

First Impressions, Build Quality and Finishing of the Interiors:

My first impression of the car was NOW WE’RE TALKING BABY!! I felt almost naughty and mischievous when I saw the shining olive green spanking new Scorpio!! (I don’t know why they call the colour ‘rocky beige’; there is nothing either rocky or beige about it)

The front view is visually very appealing. The rectangular fog lamps look really cool and in my opinion better than the round ones on earlier Scorpio models. The wipers seem a little down market but do their job. The tires are MRF Wanderer and are huge and look as if they can conquer most anything they come across. The side profile of the car is also very pretty to look at and the car seems like a hound waiting for its master’s command to attack. The rear is rather squarish but fits in the overall scheme of the design. The spoiler and roof rails add a somewhat aerodynamic look to the car besides being nice to look at. The external build quality is pretty good, though the finishing is a bit shoddy. There is huge gap where the front bumper attaches to the body, but I kind of like that. These small finishing issues in no way diminish the overall macho look and feel of the car.

The interiors are just about ok, but could have been much better, but then interiors’ quality is not the USP of this car. The knobs and flow directors on the AV vents are tacky and seem a little shaky. The arm rest with the driver’s seat is of no use in the city where constant gear shift is required, though on long drives it is an advantage. The gear lever is appropriately placed. The steering is of an appropriate size and adjustable for height. Seats are comfortable with pedals appropriately placed and spaced. Driving position commands a clear view of the road and of where the front of the car ends, making driving in traffic relatively easy. There is tons of space in the car. I am 6’1” tall and when I drive there is enough space in the middle row for 3 well sized adults to sit. There are AC vents for the rear between the front seats. This is a good thing as one does not have to turn the AC on to high fan speed for the rear of the car to cool while freezing the front occupants. There is open wiring that can be seen if one cares to see below the driver’s seat, where the fuse box is located and the lock handles seem ready to come off, but then again one would not buy this car for its interiors.

Subsequent to delivery we took the car to the neighbourhood temple in Khan Market. There for some reason, the driver side door refused to open from outside. This has happened twice and I have had to open the doors from the inside both the times. There was also a rattling noise from the rear door and the left front door panel from the outset. Thought will get it repaired soon. Then after about a week the rear door stopped opening from the inside and a few days after that from the outside as well. I finally took the car to the dealer who fixed the rattling sound as well as the door problems. Apparently there was not enough grease on the door latches. The workshop guy put extra grease on all the doors. Since then there has been no problem

Driving:

For the first 1,000 kms my wife and I didn’t drive the car beyond 2000 rpm (80-90 kmph). As mentioned the daily running is about 11 kms with about 80-100 kms on weekends. The car is a breeze to drive given its size, though I don’t really feel like driving it beyond 100-110 kmph. The view from the driver seat is commanding with no blind spots. The steering is very light and good for city driving, though there is too much feedback, which is a bit annoying on bad roads. The Scorpio cannot be driven like a sedan in that you have to depress the clutch 100% to change gears and it is some distance, gear throws are large but not inconvenient. The 1st gear is very short and one has to change into 2nd at about 10 kmph. Even at a crawl if one puts the car into 2nd then just by using the clutch the car moves forward; there is no need to use the accelerator. This is useful in stop-go and slow moving traffic. The 3rd gear is pretty long most convenient for city driving. The car takes bad roads very well but at the cost of some body roll, but this is not a real issue. Even after the SX4, I do not find the body roll disconcerting. In the city, I have received a mileage of about 10 kmpl, but I guess that will improve after the first servicing. I have only taken the car on one highway trip yet, from Delhi to Naukuchiatal (near Nainital). The car behaved itself; I had my parents in the middle row and they did not complain of any body roll. In Naukuchiatal, there we 8 of us and one evening we decided to all pile in the Scorpio for a little drive. With 8 on board, it did a stretch that I guess had a 25-30 degree slope with ease in 2nd gear at about 2200 rpm!! My SX4 would have had to whine itself up in 1st gear on the same stretch I feel. Now that is one of the reasons you would buy a Scorpio (and not the interiors)!! There were some nasty stretches of road on this trip and it was on these that the suspension setup of the Scorpio was a boon; it just gobbles up bad roads!! On the highway trip, I got a mileage of 11 kmpl.

Overall Assessment:

1. The Good: Looks, Comfortable, Suspension set up (a mixed bag and really depends on condition of roads most often driven upon), AC (it’s a chiller), space, easy to drive
2. The Bad: Finishing and quality of interiors, minor niggles
3. The Ugly: Nothing really

Conclusion:

The Scorpio is a lifestyle vehicle that one would buy for the sheer pleasure of driving, especially road trips. Owner feedback suggests continuing small niggles, but it does not matter, because whoever buys this car will be a driving enthusiast for sure!! If you are a stickler for interiors, body roll and top rack quality, then this is not the car for you. However, if you are a driving enthusiast who loves driving to his/ her destination rather than fly or take a train or taxi, and one who does not want to spend a bomb for a dependable proven performer, then folks, this IS the car to buy!!

PS: Am going on a 16-day road trip to Leh on the 9th Sep. Will write a detailed travelogue with how the car performed/ behaved subsequent to my return

Regards
Crusader
speed crusader is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 16:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scorpio MHawk, SLE: Initial Ownership Report @2,500 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed crusader View Post
I bought a Scorpio 2.2 MHawk SLE on 3rd July, 2011. Here is a brief on my initial ownership experience
Fantastic review! It would be even better if you posted a few pics to go along with it. Rated it 5 stars!

If I weren't lazy enough to write a review of my Scorpio SLE, the background and alternatives considered sections in your review would be uncannily similar to mine.

I'd posted a few do's and don't [in fellow member benbsb29s Scorpio LX thread] that I've learnt over the course of a year and a half of my ownership. Copying the link below for your reference. Hope you find it useful.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2449161

Wish you a million miles of safe and happy ownership!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 2nd September 2011 at 16:40. Reason: Posted correct link to benbsb29s review
Old 2nd September 2011, 16:33   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Fantastic review! If I weren't lazy enough to write a review of my Scorpio SLE, the background and alternatives considered sections in your review would be uncannily similar to mine.

I'd posted a few do's and don't [in fellow member benbsb29s Scorpio LX thread] that I've learnt over the course of a year and a half of my ownership. Copying the link below for your reference. Hope you find it useful.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2490805

Cheers,
Vikram
Thanks!! will check out the link

By the way i don't know why there is a sad face alongwith the titel of my post..not intentional folks!!
Old 2nd September 2011, 16:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Fantastic review! If I weren't lazy enough to write a review of my Scorpio SLE, the background and alternatives considered sections in your review would be uncannily similar to mine.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2490805

Cheers,
Vikram
by the way i think you copied the link of my review where you intended to copy the one referred to. Please provide that link for my reference. thanks!
Old 2nd September 2011, 16:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Speedcrusader,

Fantastic review, great writing. Congratulations on the mean machine. We definitely need pics to justify your great writing. Whats the odo reading now?

Happy mile crunching and drive safely esp on your Leh trip. Will be looking forward to the travelogue.
Old 2nd September 2011, 16:40   #6
BHPian

@ghodlur have been meaning to clic pics of the car, just a bit lazy i guess will do it over the weekend. Current Odo reading is 2500kms
Old 2nd September 2011, 16:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations for your Mahindra Scorpio.

That was a nice short and sweet review. I request you to add few pics of your ride ASAP.

Wishing you happy and safe driving!
Old 2nd September 2011, 17:28   #8
BHPian

I will post pics after this weekend. Also, there was some confusion on the way the posts were appearing on my screen and it seemed a bit warped, but now it's fine. I could see the link of my post where you had sent me the link comfortablynumb, but now it's fine. I guess some browser problem
Old 2nd September 2011, 18:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the way i don't know why there is a sad face alongwith the titel of my post..not intentional folks!!
I'm sorry, but this just made me laugh out loud for real. I just imagined you saying "I bought a new car, thought I'd share with you guys :(" and laughed for a few minutes. Thanks!

Anyhow, congrats on the purchase. I was wondering why you plumped for a Scorpio over a sedan, because that is the logical choice at that price point, but your post summed up your reasons beautifully. This is the "go anywhere, do anything" car that is perfect for those that love to travel.

Hope you have many enjoyable (s)miles at the wheel. I look forward to that travelogue once you return!
Old 2nd September 2011, 19:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
by the way i think you copied the link of my review where you intended to copy the one referred to. Please provide that link for my reference. thanks!
Sorry about that. I realized my mistake a little while after submitting the post, and then edited and posted the correct link.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 3rd September 2011, 07:42   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking forward to your trip log. Nicely summed up purchase decision.

A little bit OT : Do test out ABS on an empty road and get used to its behavior on and off tarmac. Scorpio with its bulk some times gives you a scare in stopping when on loose surface. Most of the drivers still freeze under heavy braking and do not try to maneuver away from trouble even though they have ABS in their vehicles.
Old 9th September 2011, 23:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

SC many congratulations on your Scorp. I must say a very timely review for me siince I too am in the process of finalising a Scorpio SLE and Bhasin is most likely the dealer I will be going to.

Glad to see that the much talked about ride and body roll are not proving to be an issue for you. Always good to know the experiences of an owner, direct from the horse's mouth

Wish you many miles of happy motoring.
Old 12th September 2011, 13:53   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
First Impressions, Build Quality and Finishing of the Interiors:

My first impression of the car was NOW WE’RE TALKING BABY!! I felt almost naughty and mischievous when I saw the shining olive green spanking new Scorpio!! (I don’t know why they call the colour ‘rocky beige’; there is nothing either rocky or beige about it)
I echo your thoughts. The Rocky Beige should have been used for the other color, which they call as Jawa Brown.

Quote:
Subsequent to delivery we took the car to the neighbourhood temple in Khan Market. There for some reason, the driver side door refused to open from outside. This has happened twice and I have had to open the doors from the inside both the times. There was also a rattling noise from the rear door and the left front door panel from the outset. Thought will get it repaired soon. Then after about a week the rear door stopped opening from the inside and a few days after that from the outside as well. I finally took the car to the dealer who fixed the rattling sound as well as the door problems. Apparently there was not enough grease on the door latches. The workshop guy put extra grease on all the doors. Since then there has been no problem
The exact same thing happened with my less than 2 months old Scorpio, that too when i was on vacation with the vehicle in Kerala. We had gone to visit the Tenmala dam, and along the trip, i faced this issue many times. Each time, for some reason i got into the vehicle from the rear door, and then clambered to open the driver's side door from the inside. Even then it opened with much difficulty, but worked. Somehow, a few hours later, it started working as if there was no issue at all!

I had to put up with questions on the quality of the plastics on the Scorpio, since my 5 year old Ikon never presented us with any such issues during the course of its ownership so far.

I took it to the dealer in Kerala for the first service, and when i mentioned this issue to them, they applied grease generously to the door latches. So, i guess this is a common issue they have faced.

Quote:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2449161
Thanks for those tips, Vikram. I have been following them quite religiously, and they have helped. That reminds me, i need to update my thread as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
SC many congratulations on your Scorp. I must say a very timely review for me siince I too am in the process of finalising a Scorpio SLE and Bhasin is most likely the dealer I will be going to.

Glad to see that the much talked about ride and body roll are not proving to be an issue for you. Always good to know the experiences of an owner, direct from the horse's mouth
Congrats on the decision, Himanshu. What made you decide not to wait for the Merlin?

As for the body roll, i put my Scorpio through some really nasty bends along the winding roads in Kerala, with about 5 passengers, and the feedback was not totally negative. I would say it was on expected lines for a vehicle with such ground clearance and a higher COG.
Old 12th September 2011, 13:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post

Congrats on the decision, Himanshu. What made you decide not to wait for the Merlin?
Thanks Benny-

As regards the Merlin, three things- 1. no clarity on launch date (i need my car by 10th Oct latest); 2. In all likelihood it will be priced around 10L Ex howroom, which takes it to 12.5L OTR- way aove my budget and 3. the generally positive feedback about Scorp. the SLE sits bang in my budget, i love how the black looks and it has the all important ABS.
Old 28th September 2011, 09:32   #15
BHPian

Hi folks!! sorry for not replying...was away to Leh!! so i guess i can be forgiven

I am preparing a travelogue on that but might take some time as there's lots to write about.. i know i have been a bad boy but i promise i will include photos of the car and the place in that writeup!!

till then...so long!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks