Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2011, 11:47   #46
BHPian

Re: Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0 - Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Congrats on the purchase of an amazing VFM car!

Sorry to hear about the crash. Thankfully, no injuries, and hopefully, it will be back on the road soon.

I hope you realise this is not something to be proud of!

Read through the forum and you will see the many frustrated members whose bookings have been played around with, by the dealers, due to such practises!

+ 1.

140 kmph.
140 while entering a bridge.
140 while entering a bridge overtaking a truck.
140 while entering a bridge overtaking a truck from the LHS.
140 while entering a bridge overtaking a truck from LHS, when the truck was being overtaken by another truck from the RHS!

Please drive safe (Mistake may be driver's, but its your life at stake), dear friend!
I read just the opening ownership thread and today when I looked at the other pages, I realized that an accident took place. Glad that no one was injured.

I second what CrAzY dRiVeR has posted. But not with an intent to open the wound but with a request to drive the car not only within legal limits but in a legal manner. Today it was you, just imagine what would have been the state of your mind, if it had been your family and kids who were involved? With the kind of agitation going on in AP, a situation could have come where reaching the accident spot would have been difficult.
Old 15th October 2011, 09:03   #47
BHPian

Re: Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0

Photos of the accident - please note these were taken in the middle of the night and slightly dazed frame of mind.

Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0-09102011468.jpg

Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0-09102011469.jpg

Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0-09102011470.jpg

Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0-09102011471.jpg

Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0-09102011472.jpg

Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0-09102011473.jpg

Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0-09102011474.jpg

Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0-09102011475.jpg

Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0-09102011477.jpg

Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0-09102011479.jpg

Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0-10102011484.jpg

Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0-10102011487.jpg

Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0-10102011488.jpg

Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0-10102011489.jpg

Taking over the road - My New Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0-10102011490.jpg
Old 16th October 2011, 15:03   #48
BHPian

That's some serious beatind your optra has taken,140 on this road,i would have think 100 time before doing that.
Old 16th October 2011, 16:01   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Thankfully you are safe & that makes the most difference. And yeah, take this as a lesson to be a more safe driver. I know you were not driving, but for the other guy too - am sure he will never do that again in his life. Hope your beauty is back with you soon and serve you trouble free for years to come.

Edit
:: I see two of your alloy wheels are damaged. Excuse to upgrade into something better ?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 16th October 2011 at 16:05.
Old 16th October 2011, 16:23   #50
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car NoRules. Sad to hear about the accident but the good thing is you are safe. Very bad maneuver though. But as suggested elsewhere, take this as an opportunity to replace the alloys (which I suggest you must even though they may appear to fine on visual examination). Try the alloys sold with 2009 models. In my view they looked better than the current ones.

Thanks for thanking my little contribution publicly. Appreciate your kind gesture.

The ACC issue you mentioned can be overcome by switching to manual. However, it is advisable to open the vents of the car AC to take in fresh air about every half hour when doing a long drive as it improves the oxygen content of the cabin air which is what the ACC seeks to achieve in addition to maintaining temperature. To switch to manual simply rotate the blower speed regulator one notch.

For your car - "Get well soon!"

Cheers!
Old 16th October 2011, 21:24   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry to know about the accident and it does not look like a small one from any angle. Glad to know you and the driver are safe.

Firstly, I think you may be mistaken as 140kmph at night is almost impossible to reach ( due to limitation on visibility) and perhaps is possible only on ORR or expressway type of roads but, certainly not on that road which I can see in the picture. Even on ORR type of roads, those speeds during night time is inviting disaster. I personally never cross 120kmph at nights as after 100kmph every 5kms/hour increment in speed greatly reduces your visibility and ability to react instantly

Secondly, its undoubtedly your driver's mistake and as all said, drivers should always be kept on a leash as they tend to get carried away. After all along with his, he's gambing with your life as well.

Goodluck and hope the car comes back as good as new
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 13:15   #52
BHPian

The service center guys have given an estimate of 2.3 lakhs for the repairs and HDFC ERGO has said it will be a cashless transaction. The required spares have been ordered and are expected to reach the service center this week and vehicle will be ready by next week. Will know the exact amount only when the car is fully repaired. Will have to wait and see how much the insurance company will pay.

Since it is a brand new vehicle and most of the damage is to the underbelly, I expect most of it will be paid by the insurer without any depreciation.
Old 17th October 2011, 20:12   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
The service center guys have given an estimate of 2.3 lakhs for the repairs and HDFC ERGO has said it will be a cashless transaction. The required spares have been ordered and are expected to reach the service center this week and vehicle will be ready by next week. Will know the exact amount only when the car is fully repaired.

That's a serious bill. Do post the part no(label) / description / labor cost list for reference. Part snaps will be a bonus. Sharing this info is the only way to get the actual maintenance cost into the public domain.

Hope the repairs come out nicely and the car feeling just as new.
Old 17th October 2011, 20:41   #54
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new car and i hope sincerely that everything will be back to as good as new. the velocity is clearly evident from the images and the state of the alloys , glad you both got out of it ok - i will never trust drivers to drive that fast
Old 18th October 2011, 12:53   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
That's a serious bill. Do post the part no(label) / description / labor cost list for reference. Part snaps will be a bonus. Sharing this info is the only way to get the actual maintenance cost into the public domain.

Hope the repairs come out nicely and the car feeling just as new.
Will post snaps of all the estimates / bills as soon as I get them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Congrats on the new car and i hope sincerely that everything will be back to as good as new. the velocity is clearly evident from the images and the state of the alloys , glad you both got out of it ok - i will never trust drivers to drive that fast
I personally never drive on the highways in the night - in the last 10-12 years of owning a car I did not drive on the highways even once during night except for short distances.

As I said, it was an urgent visit and I could not find any other means of transport. I kept telling the driver to go easy and that we had all the time in the world to reach Vizag. When the accident happened I was busy reading and exchanging text messages from a friend about where to stop for dinner and by the time I sensed something is going wrong and reacted, it was too late. Lesson learnt. Will be extra careful in future. No meeting is worth our lives.
Old 18th October 2011, 13:18   #56
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about your new car getting damaged. Anyway, both you and the driver are safe. Make sure you are alert next time onwards, and drive at safe speeds.

The estimate seems to be ok, considering the speed at which you hit the kerb. I know of another car in that segment where the estimate was nearly 4 lakhs for hitting a divider at speed. But in that case, the airbags got deployed, which leads me to the question whether the Optra has airbags?
Old 18th October 2011, 13:50   #57
Senior - BHPian

The entire left side suspension may need replacement - strut, insulator, shocker, lower arm. Also knuckle may need replacement.
In all eventuality, the Service Center will replace a lot more than what is really needed.
Make sure you get proper wheel alignment once the necessary parts are replaced and the car is ready.
The solid build quality of Optra has saved lives. Kudos to GM!
Old 18th October 2011, 15:53   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
But in that case, the airbags got deployed, which leads me to the question whether the Optra has airbags?
Optra LT does have airbags but in my case the impact was only on the side and not frontal. Whatever damage happened was in the under belly. Not even the head lamp broke. The engine was running perfectly even after the accident. Infact when the car was being towed, I sat in the car rear seat with the AC and music on till we reached Vijayawada.
Old 18th October 2011, 16:03   #59
Senior - BHPian

They can be quite thick skinned at times , like i said glad that the only one who sustained injuries was the car and that you and he are fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
I kept telling the driver to go easy and that we had all the time in the world to reach Vizag.
Old 19th October 2011, 14:14   #60
BHPian

The Service manager called today with an update that the ordered spares are dispatched and will reach them on Friday or Saturday and I should be able to collect the vehicle by the month end.

I told him not to hurry and check each and everything properly before declaring the car 'repaired'.

Most Viewed