Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2011, 10:13   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Our 2011 Silver Honda City (ANHC) VAT: A journey from Dreams to Reality

Congratulations on your latest acquisition! The Honda will never let you down!

It's a pity that Honda doesn't sell the Jazz with an AT. It would have made more sense, considering that it is as spacious as the City, has a big boot, is more compact on the outside making city-driving a boon, and the FE is astonishing too! The Brio would benefit with an AT as well! Honda, are you listening?
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 10:24   #17
BHPian

Congratulations and you have made the right choice for your requirements.
My thought is that the bumper protectors if installed would look good if they are painted in body colors.
Though door protectors might get passed (like that of bluevolt) the bumper protectors will stand out.
Some more pictures of the car.
What grade of 3M film did you choose (RE/CS/HP/CR)?
What tires, hope Honda gave Michelin at least for a VAT.
Drive safe and have fun with iVTEC.

HC
Habanero City is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 12:38   #18
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the wishes/comments. I agree the pics are pending, and will try to upload a few this weekend. Will also post the interior pics with the g-sport seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtecguy7166 View Post
Since there is no auto lock in the car and as you say when kids are at back, it might be dangerous, then you can always do the child-lock on rear doors.
Child lock is not a replacement to auto lock. Adults sitting in the back cannot get out if they have to till you open the door for them. There are times when I wait for others to go and pick up something quick from a shop/vendor. This cannot be done when child lock is on. Also, it makes you feel like a chauffeur. But I guess I have to try this for some time and figure out how much of an inconvenience this is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Are you planning any upgrades for the headlights? I found them to be seriously weak for night drives and have upgraded to HIDs
Yes. Have to research on this. What is the upgrade you did. How much did it cost. And does it void the warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
On the cup holder count - there is one in the rear seat arm rest too
Bingo. There are two in the rear armrest. Totally forgot about those, since we hardly open the arm rest (am afraid my three year old may prefer to use that as a seat) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@BH.p
Please dont opt fotr the black bumper, do go for the body coloured one or have already gone for one now that the car is delivered. The black ones would have looked horrible.
I already took delivery with the black bumper protectors. We checked both options out before delivery. I agree the black ones do not look as good as the body colored ones. But we felt, for Silver, they do not look that bad. Also, IMO, the purpose of a protector is to save you from having to repaint the bumper in case of those small nicks. Having these in body color may mean you have to get the protectors painted instead, which defeats the purpose. So we went in for black ones. I will post the pic. Hope you don't find it very bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtecguy7166 View Post
There is no need to shift from D to P/N in bumper to bumper traffic or while normal driving. You can just slot in D and if at a signal you can just slot in N and pull hand brakes.

Also when at traffic signal no need to shift to P, because if we shift to P then generally we wont apply any brakes and transmission will get the load and it wont be good in the long run.
Similarly, whenever I park my car I always ensure I first slot in N, pull hand brake and then shift to P so that load is bear by hand brake and not by transmission. I slot in P only while parking the car.
In bumper to bumper traffic, I do not move to N every time I stop. If I know I am going to stop for > 15-20 secs, I shift for N, and wait with the break pedal depressed. If I know I will stop for >30 secs, I shift to P and switch off the engine.
The point of using the handbrake instead of P is interesting. Does putting the car to P amount to putting the car to a gear (first gear?). I doubt. If that was the case, the car should crawl if engine is on in P mode.
Also, if it was indeed engaging a gear (which I really doubt), would it be detrimental to the gear life? I have always parked in first gar without handbrake (started driving in a premier padmini, which did not have good handbrakes, and that habit continued in my 800/Alto till I bought this car). I think gears are designed for this.
In any case, the ideas listed by you surely do not have negatives and will try to practice till the P mode system is clarified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
It's a pity that Honda doesn't sell the Jazz with an AT. It would have made more sense, considering that it is as spacious as the City, has a big boot, is more compact on the outside making city-driving a boon, and the FE is astonishing too! The Brio would benefit with an AT as well! Honda, are you listening?
Yup. Jazz AT would be my ideal choice. But alas, Honda does not think so. They should probably hire us for helping them understand market dynamics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
My thought is that the bumper protectors if installed would look good if they are painted in body colors.

What grade of 3M film did you choose (RE/CS/HP/CR)?
What tires, hope Honda gave Michelin at least for a VAT.
HC
As I mentioned above, I thought black bumper protectors do not look very bad on silver. So went with it, as they may be more practical. Strictly IMHO.
I think the sun film is RE35 (the one approved by RTO). And got a MRF. Not a michellin. Had asked the rep for it, but he said there were none in stock. And discouraged me from waiting for next lot since the offer may not be valid.
Bh.P is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 13:35   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
Child lock is not a replacement to auto lock. Adults sitting in the back cannot get out if they have to till you open the door for them. There are times when I wait for others to go and pick up something quick from a shop/vendor. This cannot be done when child lock is on. Also, it makes you feel like a chauffeur. But I guess I have to try this for some time and figure out how much of an inconvenience this is.
In scenarios where an adult is seated at the back with the child lock on, I lower the rear window and have them reach out for the door lever on the outside..

Quote:
Yes. Have to research on this. What is the upgrade you did. How much did it cost. And does it void the warranty?
Will save you the search part of your research -

Our own automotive lighting thread has all the information you seek. Search for posts on ANHC and you will get most of your questions answered.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ting-here.html

If you have any specific queries, more than happy to clarify.

I have the following installed in my ANHC - almost an year now:

Philips Lighting India - Xenon HID conversion kit

Got this installed at Sachin's Autoshop in Koramangala for 9.5K. This is available only with the 6000K output. Was looking for the 4200K one, but that is no longer available in India. Very satisfied with the installation process and the results as well.

Warranty (the electrical one that is) may be void, but I am more than willing to risk it at the cost of overall safety during night driving (which I have to do on a daily basis). I recollect, the service center including a comment in the service log that the lights have been modified.

Quote:
am afraid my three year old may prefer to use that as a seat
Well my 5.5 yr old does that already. He has this habit of keeping 2 bottles in the cup-holder and use them as the control stalks of his imaginary JCB !!

Cheers
Uday
uday.ere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 22:05   #20
BHPian

@BH.P,

Congratulations and welcome to the All New Honda City club(the acronyms have been officially banned)!!

Well researched and thought out buy.Sorry for being a bit late to join the merriment-I was out of touch for a few days.

Mate-post more pictures. If you are planning any 3D mats-consider star mats too. I am eager to hear about them from some new owner.

Enjoy your ride-control it from flying too high

All the best.

Cheers,charthom.
charthom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 22:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jazz is probably 'nearly' as spacious as the City. City has longer wheelbase, with longer seat base on the rear seats. Also has substantially bigger boot. But yes, Jazz is big enough for most occasions and more suited for city use.
Old 17th September 2011, 00:03   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Jazz is probably 'nearly' as spacious as the City. City has longer wheelbase, with longer seat base on the rear seats. Also has substantially bigger boot. But yes, Jazz is big enough for most occasions and more suited for city use.
You're probably right. If one takes a measuring tape and compares the length to the centimeter, the City would be more spacious. However, the City's rear bench is a whole lot more comfortable that the bench in the Jazz. The under-thigh support for the passengers at the back is almost non-existent.

The seat is soft, but the lack of support may make it a little uncomfortable on long journeys. Reason? There is one: the magic-seats. The Jazz's magic seats fold in several ways. Bolstering will restrict the bench's versatility.

Good day!
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2011, 00:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will people accept the premium which Honda may charge for the AT? Honda had tough time selling even the manual transmission cars recently.

But yes AT would have been nice option for both Jazz and Brio.

Last edited by bluevolt : 17th September 2011 at 00:07.
Old 17th September 2011, 14:00   #24
BHPian

^^
I think yes, some people will be ready to pay the premium (assuming it is 70-80K more than the MT version). I have seen quite a few members on this forum checking if there will be Jazz AT. I also see a lot of i10 Autos in Bangalore now a days. So Jazz is a good option in between the i10 AT and City AT. I am guessing it will be a couple of lacs lesser than the city AT...so should be lucrative.

Have dropped off my car for the first service today (950 kms on the odo). So the photos have to wait till tomorrow or next week.

Was asked if I want the under body rust coating. Was told they do not do 3M. They do Waxol, costing around 4.9K. Had not heard of that brand. So wanted to research before going for it. Given the rains this car has seen in the past month, the anti rust may be useful.
Bh.P is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2011, 14:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was asked if I want the under body rust coating. Was told they do not do 3M. They do Waxol, costing around 4.9K. Had not heard of that brand. So wanted to research before going for it. Given the rains this car has seen in the past month, the anti rust may be useful.
Though there is no harm in going for anti-rust treatment but you should go for it if it rains like Mumbai style in your city. Otherwise the investment is not worth.

I was also going for anti-rust treatment but a fellow senior bhpian gave me similar suggestion.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2011, 19:02   #26
BHPian

<ServiceUpdate>
First Service
17-Sep-2011
950 kms.
Cosr: Rs. 0/-

Had taken an appointment for 10 AM. Reached there at 10:10 AM. Was attended to at 10:50 AM (so much for the appointment system).
No complaints except the rear bumper protector peeling off. Requested them to stick it properly.
The door protectors had paint issue during delivery. Asked them to repaint.
Delivery promised by 2:30 PM. Was called by 4:00 stating car is ready.

Claimed to have done the routine first service check. Car was washed decently well.
Brought the car home.
Both the rear bumper protectors had come off again! So the only complain I had given was not done well.
Bought a Rs. 5 feviquik couple of days later and stuck it myself. I only hope they did the other tasks of first service well enough.
<ServiceUpdate>
Old 29th September 2011, 19:29   #27
BHPian

Hello Bh.P
Congrats on your new ride..
Did you upgrade your headlights to XID kit ?

Alternately, you could replace the factory bulbs to the Philips X-treme bulbs. You can check and match the ratings as per the manual.

These bulbs are available at around 1000 bucks and are much better value for money than stock bulbs. Lots of our friends here have changed it for better night visibility.

Cheers.
MKP
mkpiyengar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 07:06   #28
BHPian

Quote:
<
No complaints except the rear bumper protector peeling off. Requested them to stick it properly.
The door protectors had paint issue during delivery. Asked them to repaint.

Both the rear bumper protectors had come off again! So the only complain I had given was not done well.
Bought a Rs. 5 feviquik couple of days later and stuck it myself. I only hope they did the other tasks of first service well enough.
<ServiceUpdate>
Many of the dealers do not take enough care while fixing the accessories and this is one of them.
The painting and sticking of the protectors have been one of the issues with dealers.
However it is your right to get what you have paid for.
Do not settle for the feviquik solution as it may not last for long.
Take the effort to go to the dealer and sit with him to get the painting and sticking problems resolves to your satisfaction.

HC
Old 30th September 2011, 13:39   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
Hello Bh.P
Did you upgrade your headlights to XID kit ?

Alternately, you could replace the factory bulbs to the Philips X-treme bulbs. You can check and match the ratings as per the manual.
These bulbs are available at around 1000 bucks and are much better value for money than stock bulbs. Lots of our friends here have changed it for better night visibility.
Thanks MKP. I believe upgrading the headlights in any which way voids warranty. Do not want to risk that, especially after a recent issue (read below).
Do you know if just changing the bulbs to Phillips X-treme voids warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
Many of the dealers do not take enough care while fixing the accessories and this is one of them.
The painting and sticking of the protectors have been one of the issues with dealers.
However it is your right to get what you have paid for.
Do not settle for the feviquik solution as it may not last for long.
Take the effort to go to the dealer and sit with him to get the painting and sticking problems resolves to your satisfaction.
HC
The side bumper painting issue is taken care of. No issues there.
The rear bumper protector looked fine while taking the car from service. The issue was again noticed when I came back home. Did not want to make a 8 km trip again to get it fixed. So stuck it myself. Has been 2 weeks since, no issues. Hope it stays that way.

Folks
So much for the promised Honda Trouble-free Experience which was a major factor in my decision to take this car, this is what happened to me. I hope it is only a one-off case, and does not repeat.

24-Sep-2011
Exactly a week after the service, while washing the car, I noticed oil under the car where I park. Was not sure if I should drive.

25-Sep-2011
Called Magnum Honda on Sun. Service was closed (they only sell on Sundays!).
Called RSA. They send a tow vehicle with a technician. The technician is unable to figure out what oil is leaking, and is not sure if I can drive the car. Suggests towing. I ask them to come back next day since service station was closed that day.

26-Sep-2011
Called Magnum Honda. They send a technician, who is also unable to figure out the root cause. Suggests not to drive, but to tow.

27-Sep-2011
Called RSA again. Car was towed to Magnum Honda (was quite a sight, with neighbors wondering why a brand new car was being towed!)
After about an hour of waiting and putting the car up on the lift, they figure there is an issue with the "front end seal", which is a rubber part.
The part is not in stock. No idea if they can get it that day.

Later that afternoon, was called to tell that the part is not available with any dealer in Bangalore. So they have placed an order. May take 2-3 days.
I ask for a loner car, but was not given citing lack of relevant policies/provisions. I sent an email to Magnum Honda. No response.

28-Sep-2011
Was called and informed they hope to get the part the same day. How? Another dealer in Bangalore had it (?). The car would be fixed later that evening, and would be delivered the next day after testing.

29-Sep-2011
Called and confirmed the leakage issue has been resolved.
Took the car in the evening. Had run 21 kms since I left the car there. Apparently for testing.
No leakage noticed till next morning at home. Hope it stays that way.

Effectively, I was unable to use the car for 5 days in around a month after purchase. Was not given a loaner car to take care of my travel needs (though I paid through my nose). However, I hope the issue is isolated, and does not repeat.
The person I dealt with at the service station was polite and helpful. So do not intend to escalate to Honda at this stage.
Old 30th September 2011, 13:59   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks MKP. I believe upgrading the headlights in any which way voids warranty. Do not want to risk that, especially after a recent issue (read below).
Do you know if just changing the bulbs to Phillips X-treme voids warranty?
No. As far are the bulbs are of same rating it is fine. If you go for those white bulbs with 100W ratings which require additional cut out etc. then the warranty might be void as you are tampering with electricals.

These bulbs (Philips X-Treme) give a concentrated beam compared to the normal bulbs, thereby increasing the visibility.

I had asked the service center guys about changing them, but they said they do not do it themselves and can do it outside. Also, they told me that the KIT is expensive approx 18K.

Don't know what kit he was mentioning because Philips has XID Kit for Rs9.5K

Got the bulbs from outside and did it myself, takes 5 mins (Owner's manual has clear instructions on bulb replacement.)

Quite few of fellow T-bhpians have done the change. Refer to All New Honda City ownership threads.

Cheers
MKP

Last edited by mkpiyengar : 30th September 2011 at 14:01. Reason: Removed ANHC
mkpiyengar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks