Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2011, 18:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: My better half's Hyundai i10 Asta Automatic: My first impressions

Congrats Harbir on the i10.
I do no think high throttle was a problem for me when I used to drive mine. Also - not to point fingers, iphone 4 is not the phone with world's best reception. Try the BT with some other phone. Yes - the OEM stereo / speakers are of no good. Did not change them for the sake of not destroying the look.
As I used to drive a gen 1 Asta AT - had none of the other electronic items (BT / USB / steering controls / parking sensor etc) - so cannot comment on them.
Drive safe!
Old 10th September 2011, 19:22   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benu9714 View Post
The reverse sensors are a great help. The tone does change progressively to indicate the distance from any obstacle behind.
Thats interesting. I'll have them check this on the first service. but somehow I am not very hopeful, what with all the nightmare stories about Hyundai's non-responsiveness with airbag modules and what not.

thank you. I'll follow up on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Congrats Harbir on the i10.
I do no think high throttle was a problem for me when I used to drive mine. Also - not to point fingers, iphone 4 is not the phone with world's best reception. Try the BT with some other phone.
Since my iphone works fine with my jawbone earpiece, and works perfectly as a blue tooth based hotspot, I am not inclined to point fingers at the phone. And whether it works with some other phone or not doesn't help us because we're not about to change our iphones just because the car's bluetooth doesn't work with them.

but I do intend to try it with my blackberry.

Last edited by Harbir : 10th September 2011 at 19:27.
Old 11th September 2011, 17:11   #18
Sss

Congrats Harbir on choosing the i10 AT

My wife drives the Santro AT and I find the throttle pedal there as well is located unusually high, which causes calf pain. However my wife does not seem to have that problem.

BTW is the AT of i10 a 4 speed unit or a 5 speed unit?
Old 12th September 2011, 22:45   #19
BHPian

4 speed. I think the car would have both better acceleration and better fuel economy and more refined running with a 5 speed, but it is what it is

some more impressions about the electronics package. today the blue tooth worked fine with my iphone. can't explain the difference.

more use of the reverse parking sensor shows considerable inconsistency. in some place it works adequately and turns from beep to steady tone at about 18" distance. but at other places it does this at 4 feet left to go. In other places, it goes from silence to frantic beeping in a matter of inches. I get the impression that the sonar coverage isn't very uniform, and variability in the shape, reflectivity, and bulk (is it car? a person? a scooter? a gate? a fence? a child? a small dog? ) of what is behind the car affects the functioning of the reverse parking sensor in a very big way. It works ok when things are big, even and consistently reflective (like a car), otherwise not.

other notes, the music system works fine playing old lata tunes which don't tax the system too much.

the car now has 172km on it and we are really enjoying it. My wife isn't very happy about the lack of power and the ruckus and roughness she perceives compared to the accord, but thats because she is used to the accord zooming around effortlessly, but she is getting used to it, and we are both enjoying how terrifically brilliant the car is in tight delhi traffic. Not just on the big roads of lutyens delhi but the chaotic muhala and bazaar streets. the small size, light and accurate steering, and the automatic transmission make it a breeze to zip along in the worst conditions without a thought or concern.

its truly wonderful. No regrets.

I am doing the research on what kind of aftermarket stereo to go with. I think I'll go with some Boston Acoustics or Infinity Kappa Components and a Rockford Fosgate subwoofer, and probably a Sony touch screen double din head unit XAV72 (or something), and an appropriate amp. but not immediately. all thats not a small amount of money

It needs a nicer stereo system though.

PS. Sss, thank you for confirming that I am not the only one with issues with the throttle pedal placement.
Old 13th September 2011, 08:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
The blue-tooth function is also completely useless. the transmission between the system and my iPhone 4 and the car's system is so poor 3 words out of 5 drop out making communication impossible.
Congratulations on i10 Automatic. Very nice and crisp review.

I'm not facing any issue with the transmission quality between the system and phone in my i20. The only issue I'm facing with the bluetooth is the inability to receive the phone calls while the car is in motion whereas there are no issues with outgoing calls. Are you able to receive calls while the car is in motion?

You can also stream music (stereo) from your phone to ICE through bluetooth. All you need to do is to press the AUX button on the ICE and start the music application on your phone.

Please do post some pictures of your new i10. Have many more happy and safe miles with your ride.
Old 13th September 2011, 16:55   #21
BHPian

Good, unbiased review, Harbir. My wife got an i10 recently as well. We wanted the ABS and airbags, and so plonked the extra moolah for the higher model with the junk goodies.

We have the exact same issue with the pedal. My wife's leg really hurts at the end of each day's drive, even though the drives aren't that long. The bluetooth works very well though. Both of us have iphones, one 4 and a 3GS. It works fine with both.

The AC vents are very irritating though. There is no direction (except closed), where it doesn't freeze the drivers hands. The reverse sensor on this one is really a gimmick. Wouldnt rely on it for reversing at all.

Overall though, its a nice little car, which does exactly what its supposed to. Pretty spacious inside for its compact size, and perfect for city bumper to bumper driving.
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:06   #22
BHPian

Quote:

"more use of the reverse parking sensor shows considerable inconsistency. in some place it works adequately and turns from beep to steady tone at about 18" distance. but at other places it does this at 4 feet left to go. In other places, it goes from silence to frantic beeping in a matter of inches. I get the impression that the sonar coverage isn't very uniform, and variability in the shape, reflectivity, and bulk (is it car? a person? a scooter? a gate? a fence? a child? a small dog? ) of what is behind the car affects the functioning of the reverse parking sensor in a very big way. It works ok when things are big, even and consistently reflective (like a car), otherwise not."
The reverse sensors cover not only the area immediately behind the car, but the areas to either side as well. Hence, if you are reversing into a parking slot and there is a pillar close to you on either side, the reverse sensor will beep continuously when you are close to the pillar, EVEN IF the end wall is still quite far away from the back bumper of the car. As soon as the tail end of the car passes the pillar, the beeping will stop, and will resume again as you approach the wall at the back.

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd September 2011 at 12:12. Reason: Fixing Quotes, do a Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 13:38   #23
BHPian

my BMW had parking sensors and I know how they work when implemented well. The i10's is junk. its poor performance cannot be explained away by how their behavior is inherent to the technology.

they are very poor.
Old 22nd September 2011, 18:56   #24
BHPian

Harbir, quite a few commonalities... I bought an i10 AT Sportz for my wife. She learnt her driving in our Accord AT.

1. Agree with the pedal position. It's a bit too vertical. In fact, I noticed it only after you posted the comment!

2. Speed 1 on the blower is a bit too high

3. Don't even try playing rap and cranking the bass up on the stock speakers.The door pads started rattling.

4. The ride feels terribly choppy, especially after getting used to Accord. My old Swift was definitely better. I'm not sure whether even an upsize would fundamentally solve the problem. Running on stock bridgestones now.

5. Put in a HGP reverse sensor. Happy with it.
Old 24th September 2011, 16:19   #25
BHPian

Quote:
My wife bought an i10 Asta automatic last night and we've driven it about 60km so far. We bought the asta because my wife wanted a very small convenient automatic transmission car (as a change from her Accord which we still have) and insisted on a car with airbags and the other features were a sweet bait (not at all that sweet as it turns out)
PS: A note of advice: I would advise that anybody looking to buy the i10 Automatic should buy the Asta instead of the Sportz ONLY if they want airbags, ABS and sunroof. The other additions over the Sportz are only for the brochure, not for the real world. For us the Asta was worth it because our primary interest was the airbags and ABS.

Nice review, but am surprised at a couple of things because I havent experienced them in my Asta Auto.

Reverse parking sensor - it has been pretty useful for me and has indeed saved me from a knock many a time. Am wondering abt the parking sensor, since mine starts beeping rapidly when its about 4 feet and only then changes to a constant tone.

Stereo - while its not upper end, for a car like this I feel its pretty decent. Also, I havent had any problems with the Bluetooth with any of my phones (including an android phone), however, am not sure of the iphone though. The only issue i had with the android phone is that music streaming was erratic - sometimes works and sometimes doesnt. But the other phones are perfectly working.

All the best with your car!
Old 25th September 2011, 07:32   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Congratulations on i10 Automatic. Very nice and crisp review.

I'm not facing any issue with the transmission quality between the system and phone in my i20. The only issue I'm facing with the bluetooth is the inability to receive the phone calls while the car is in motion whereas there are no issues with outgoing calls. Are you able to receive calls while the car is in motion?

You can also stream music (stereo) from your phone to ICE through bluetooth. All you need to do is to press the AUX button on the ICE and start the music application on your phone.

Please do post some pictures of your new i10. Have many more happy and safe miles with your ride.

Guyfmblr - I'm not facing any issue on my i10 with receiving phone calls or making outgoing calls even when the car is in motion. You are right about music streaming from the phone. However the music streaming from my android phone is a bit erratic - sometimes works and sometimes doesnt . However with the other phones, I have absolutely not issues.
Old 25th September 2011, 19:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy View Post
However the music streaming from my android phone is a bit erratic - sometimes works and sometimes doesnt . However with the other phones, I have absolutely not issues.
Is it a Samsung Android phone? They don't use the standard A2DP profile for bluetooth audio streaming. They use some profile called BRCM Audio (I'm not sure about the actual name of the profile) for the same in Android phones. I have observed this in Samsung Galaxy S ans S2. This may be the issue for the erratic behavior of music streaming in your phone. If you have a PC with linux, I'll let you know some commands to check the bluetooth profiles implementation in your mobile.
Old 26th September 2011, 07:11   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Is it a Samsung Android phone? They don't use the standard A2DP profile for bluetooth audio streaming. They use some profile called BRCM Audio (I'm not sure about the actual name of the profile) for the same in Android phones. I have observed this in Samsung Galaxy S ans S2. This may be the issue for the erratic behavior of music streaming in your phone. If you have a PC with linux, I'll let you know some commands to check the bluetooth profiles implementation in your mobile.
@guyfrmblr - yes, its a Samsung Android phone (Galaxy 5). The problem is that initially the music starts playing, and then if i disconnect the phone and again try to play it it doesnt work. I know Android is based on Linux, but is it possible to check it through some Windows based tool?
Old 26th September 2011, 09:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy View Post
@guyfrmblr - yes, its a Samsung Android phone (Galaxy 5). The problem is that initially the music starts playing, and then if i disconnect the phone and again try to play it it doesnt work. I know Android is based on Linux, but is it possible to check it through some Windows based tool?
I'd come across a tool called Forkbread which is a command line tool for windows. There will be a executable called 'sdptool' along with it using which you can list out the bluetooth profiles of your mobile. If you see that A2DP is not there in the list, then you can go for a custom updated Android ROM for your mobile which you can find in xda developers forum (which consists of A2DP). But be very careful while flashing the custom ROM as it may brick your phone if not done properly. It also voids the warranty of your phone.

I had similar problem with Galaxy S. I was not able to stream the music from phone to Bluetooth speakers. The problem got solved after installing custom ROM which had A2DP profile. Flash the custom ROM only if one is available for your model in xda developers and you are comfortable with flashing procedure, else please don't try it as it'll brick the phone.
guyfrmblr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 07:56   #30
BHPian

A brief update:
  1. the car's blutooth troubles seem to have not reoccured. both phone calls and streaming audio on iphones works fine. however, the system says "error" when the iphone is connected to the USB port. The manual says we need to buy the cable from Hyundai. Slick way to make some additional money.
  2. My discomfort with the throttle pedal remains. My wife has not complained.
  3. The car does show at times that its a really basic little economy car at the borderline of decent car. For example, I find myself twirling the wheel a lot in tight maneuvering conditions and I ask myself why does such a small car need the wheel turned so much? answer: its got a slow geared rack. so why does it? because that will reduce the size of the power assistance motor and that in turn reduces the electrical load. And sure enough, it does show up in ways that I never seen in other cars. If you're holding on the brake while in drive so the engine is restrained from revving up, and you turn the wheel, once in a while, when the situation is such that the there is a slightly added resistance to the steering (perhaps because of a stone next to the tyre), you feel the power assistance level drop and the wheel effort goes up. My guess? the engine's revs being contained by the brake means the alternator doesn't produce enough juice to keep up with the demand of the EPS system. Now its not a big deal. It has shown up maybe twice or thrice in the 750km the car has been driven so far. and most people wouldn't notice. but I do.
  4. I had not been very impressed with the ride, steering or handling of the car compared to my buddy's wife's i10 Magna. turned out that the tyre pressures were very low, about 25psi. I pumped them up to 33psi as recommended. The initial perception was of considerably increased feel of the road texture (in a bad way), but very quickly it became apparent that the car was indeed much improved dynamically. the harder tyres cause the suspension to stroke more so behavior over bumps is much improved, having gone from bouncy and jolty to smooth and smothery. the steering and handling are also much improved (though its still not what I would consider a fun to drive car)
  5. Another way the car demonstrates its economy car roots (something I also noticed in the demo Sportz I test drove). When you get on the throttle so the car holds lower gears as it accelerates through the rev range, you feel vibration and harshness in the steering wheel. the transmission is not well isolated vibrationally from the subframe that holds the steering rack it seems. Not a big deal. after all this isn't a Lexus. but its something you notice for sure.
  6. The car is getting 10.0km/l in delhi driving. This has come has a huge relief to me since I was all freaked out about the reports that automatic i10s are getting as little as 6km/L. Very honestly, it wasn't just the prospect of large fuel bills, but the feeling that if dinky little car like this has poor fuel economy, something is very very wrong. but thankfully, so far, the car's showing good fuel economy. I expect that it will rise from here both because this 10km/l is with the tyres down on air pressure, and fuel economy usually improves as an engine breaks in and tolerances free up.
  7. I am disappointed that the car doesn't have the instrument panel dimming feature.
  8. The handbrake is a disappointment. Pulling it up as much as the strength in my wife's arm and thumb allow is not enough to keep the car stationary on slopes. This means that when the car is put in Park, the transmission takes the load of the car and then when shifting out of park, you get an unpleasant jolt. WHen I lift the parking brake to where the car is sure not to move on the slope in front of our apartment where we park, my wife can't put it down. She's unhappy about this because the parking brake in her accord goes all the way up and down without calling attention to itself about the effort required.
  9. last but not least, I am having an absolute blast with the level of ease and convenience this car provides both due to its very small size and the automatic transmission. Driving the accord in comparison is like guiding an air craft carrier through traffic. I find myself so completely relaxed and destressed in traffic situations where I would be getting anxious or irritable or impatient. In the i10 auto, I just sit and go with the flow. This is very strange because in the US, I never ever in any situation ever prefered an auto over a manual, not even in the heart of manhattan. I think that the difference is that for me the advantage of the auto is not, for me, in stop go traffic, but in the chaos of indian traffic where you need to swerve, brake, shift, so much to steer around all the chaos. in this chaos, to have the load on the brain brought down to just steering and pedal/brake work is just a huge advantage.
  10. On the whole, a perfect purchase for us. going down to the A-star would have meant foregoing the airbags and power ORVMs (not acceptable) and going up would have meant a wider longer car and so not as convenient. THis is the perfect perfect car for us.
  11. Oh yes, another thing. the stereo system really sucks. the sound quality is terrible.

Last edited by Harbir : 3rd October 2011 at 07:59.
Harbir is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed