Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2011, 14:05   #1
BHPian

Skids With Diesel Energy: Chevrolet Beat LS

I brought Beat Diesel LS (white) on 5th september. A diesel hatch was the only choice after selling my Zen D last month as City ZX was not for daily use, considering the petrol price.

Selection Process

Although I was attracted towards Beat since it was launched, I always had a doubt that it was a bit too modern. But once I started considering the car for a purchase, I liked the sharp curves and modern looks.

As I was not ready to wait for long, I had to eliminate Swift D and the Ritz had never appealed me. Considering the price range, the actual competitor for beat was the Figo, but the Figo’s design was too old for me though my Father liked it.

Choosing B/W LS and LT

I had booked LT and downgraded to LS sine I was offered a LS white within 4 days of booking as the customer had switched to RED. Another reason was, I wanted a better Ice Setup and didn’t like the OE head unit and paper cone speakers.

Delivery

As promised by the dealer the car was delivered on 5th September.
The extra accessories brought from the dealer were:

3M under body coat - Rs 3500(good with 5 years warranty)
Floor mat - Rs 700 (Fabric mat- unnessary, will have use other mat on top)
Boot Mat - Rs 300 (Not Bad)
Roof Antenna - Rs 700(Absolute necessary)
Rear prcel tray for speakers- Rs 950(It is robbery, ICE guys told me that they have better trays made from multiwood for that pice)

Upgradation

Alloys
I had fixed the alloy model before the car delivery, so the selection was pretty easy.

Alloys - Platti 14”
Price - 14000 with fitting balancing and alignment
Model - PY416
Tyres - Stock Goodyear 165/65/14

ICE

HU - Pioneer AVH 2390
Front - Bull Audio 4”
Rear - JL audio 6*9 TR

800 kms Ownership review.

Looks

The alloy upgrade had changed the entire stance of the car, the car started looking better day by day.
The muscular front is very attractive. But the rear needs a dual spoiler for the complete look.
The front quarter view from the sides look ugly, I did not like the popping out head lights.

Ride and Engine

The car has a peppy dive and feels very stable on speeds upto 80, I haven’t gone above that.
80@ 2000 rpm in 5th gear, at 2500 rpm the engine sound is pretty audible.
First I didn’t like the engine sound (Low 3 cylinder clatter) as it was different from what we had heard earlier. But now it is ok as we don’t notice it.
The engine is pretty much silent compared to other diesel Hatches and sedans, yet to compare it head on with Ritz.
The turning radius is good and you can easily take it through ant small roads.
Road visibility is very less and I almost on a big stone as I has forgotten that I had parked infront of a stone.
With 4 people and A/c on I could feel some lag, as I didn’t get sudden response to acceleration, will confirm it later as I forgot to notice the rpm when I felt the lag. Shift the gears above 2000 rpm range, the car is responsive and we could feel the low end torque.

Comfort
The gas shocks are very comfy and we won’t notice or feel small bad patches of roads in between. But big potholes and long stretch of bad roads will shake the car like boat as the suspension is soft.
Rear seats lacks cushioning and long rides needs better seat. Front seat are good and very comfortable.
I was not able to find the comfortable riding position until I raised the driver seat height 25mm using custom spaces and this has also increased the road view.

General review

The car climbed hills with 3 people on board in third gear during my trip to Athirapally(Hill Station in Kochi), that was pretty decent performance.
The interiors feels up market and premium.
Good ride, handling and chilling ac(The cooling is instant even without sun film).
Smooth gear shift.
Easy to park and ride through small roads.

Dislikes
A round gear knob should have been better to hold.
The placement of power window switches is hard to operate while driving.
Height adjustable drivers seats is necessary.
Still didn’t got used to the small steering wheel.

Got an Average Fuel Efficiency of 20km(Approximate calculation), will update the exact figure after first service 1000kms.
Attached Thumbnails
Skids With Diesel Energy: Chevrolet Beat LS-20110906-16.30.04.jpg  

Skids With Diesel Energy: Chevrolet Beat LS-img_0217.jpg  

Skids With Diesel Energy: Chevrolet Beat LS-img_0219.jpg  

Skids With Diesel Energy: Chevrolet Beat LS-img_0244.jpg  

Skids With Diesel Energy: Chevrolet Beat LS-img_0256.jpg  

Skids With Diesel Energy: Chevrolet Beat LS-img_0252.jpg  

b_ambat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 14:23   #2
BHPian

Re: SKIDS WITH DIESEL ENERGY: Beat LS

Congratulations on your diesel Skids! Alloys and ICE HU looks too good. I'm also rather interested in the dashboard trim(carbon fiber look). It would be very helpfull if you share the details of the same: source, cost, etc.

Drive Khulke!
Old 19th September 2011, 14:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

@b_ambat,

Congratulations on the Diesel Beat. The colour looks good, the alloys are meaty, is it the background which is making the car stand out?

Happy mile crunching and drive safely.

have you opted for the GM maintenance plan, is it available for Diesel Beat too? What did the ICE set up cost you?
Old 19th September 2011, 14:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on a nice a cute buy, and looking at the fuel efficiency figures i must say its a very sensible buy.

Always wondered whenever i saw this car on the road as to how would the rear door open without a handle? only to realize on my visit to TD Cruze that the handle is at a strange and new place .

Please post more pictures.
Old 19th September 2011, 15:02   #5
BHPian

Congratulations for your new acquisition!

How about writing on the maximum speed, average - with and without AC, and city/highway driving? Just curious to know, as a friend is contemplating to own one soon.

Your insights on the above would help a great deal. Thanks.
Old 19th September 2011, 16:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skids With Diesel Energy: Chevrolet Beat LS

Congratulations for you Chevrolet Beat. Nice review and pictures.

Please do keep the thread updated.

Wishing you happy mile crunching!
Old 19th September 2011, 16:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Congratulations on your diesel Skids! Alloys and ICE HU looks too good. I'm also rather interested in the dashboard trim(carbon fiber look). It would be very helpfull if you share the details of the same: source, cost, etc.

Drive Khulke!
@mi2n- Thanks, the dashboard trims are from the dealer, forgot to mention it in the review. They charged me 1550 for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post

Drive Khulke!
@mi2n- Thanks, the dashboard trims are from the dealer, forgot to mention it in the review. They charged me 1550 for that.

have you opted for the GM maintenance plan, is it available for Diesel Beat too? What did the ICE set up cost you?[/quote]

@ghodlur
Thanks, I haven't opted the maintenance plan, as the quoted an amount around 25,000 and think it is only till 45,000 kms.
Old 19th September 2011, 16:36   #8
BHPian

Congrats,nice colour and good choice of the variant. LS is VFM.

Cheers
Old 19th September 2011, 16:39   #9
BHPian

@mayankjha1806 - Thanks and more pictures will be up, now she is dirty as it was raining here in kerala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueintrepid View Post
Congratulations for your new acquisition!

How about writing on the maximum speed, average - with and without AC, and city/highway driving? Just curious to know, as a friend is contemplating to own one soon.

Your insights on the above would help a great deal. Thanks.
Detailed review on maximum speed and exact economy will be posted after the first service, As the car is new I am pretty much careful and slow on foot.

@bluevolt - Thanks.........
Old 19th September 2011, 20:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_ambat View Post
I was not able to find the comfortable riding position until I raised the driver seat height 25mm using custom spaces and this has also increased the road view.
Would appreciate some pics of these spacers. need to up my seat position too on my Dzire. Also how did you go about manufacturing them?
Old 19th September 2011, 20:38   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Would appreciate some pics of these spacers. need to up my seat position too on my Dzire. Also how did you go about manufacturing them?
I made the spacers myself from 16 mm round brass rod. The front seats of Beat was easily removable like cushions (actually the base is a cushion with 4 bolts welded in ends, resting on the frame).I don't know about Desire's seats, I will check and let you know, the possible designs.
Attached Thumbnails
Skids With Diesel Energy: Chevrolet Beat LS-spacers.jpg  

b_ambat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 20:38   #12
BHPian

hey you didnt get any freebies from the dealer?
Old 19th September 2011, 20:44   #13
BHPian

@Crazy4.Cars
No buddy the are having enough bookings for diesel and Backlocks, even with all contacts all I got was a rubbish key chain and a table clock.
Further it is monopoly here in Kochin, all three showrooms are of the same dealer Geeyem Motors and its the same in nearby towns, so they are pretty sure I won't go anywhere else.

Last edited by b_ambat : 19th September 2011 at 20:47.
Old 19th September 2011, 20:59   #14
BHPian

@b_ambat,

Nice car, Mate. Look very manly and refined in white with the alloys. Good to note that the torque is good to take 3 people to Athirappilly.

My impression was- the rear seats are very comfortable-you have not really liked them.

How do you pit it against the i10-is it desirable or just has the diesel advantage?

Enjoy many miles safely,responsibly and economically() on your new stunner.
Old 19th September 2011, 21:27   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
@b_ambat,

Nice car, Mate. Look very manly and refined in white with the alloys. Good to note that the torque is good to take 3 people to Athirappilly.

My impression was- the rear seats are very comfortable-you have not really liked them.

How do you pit it against the i10-is it desirable or just has the diesel advantage?

Enjoy many miles safely,responsibly and economically() on your new stunner.
Thanks.
About the rear seats, they are not for long drives but some cushioning will make them better and its not bumpy in the rear either.
I will always recommend Beat against i10, built quality and looks but it always depend on personal preferences. I always hated the Shift lever positioning in i10 and Ritz.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks