Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2011, 12:10   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2011 Jetta Highline AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurum View Post
FYI, I've done some research on this. One should put the gear into N at traffic signals, and not stand on the brakes on D.
Are you saying many DSG failures in Skodas happen because of this?
Old 2nd October 2011, 14:01   #17
BHPian

Re: 2011 Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT

Many many congratulations Aurum!!! So envy you, right now. The color is brilliant. My first choice too, but my better half ruled it out. ( Our old Chevy Aveo in Arizona Amber guise went for at least 10 grands cheaper due to the peculiar shade- her reasoning)

I'm done with the booking and waiting for my Fraulein with excitement akin to when i waited for my first bicycle as a kid! I've also chosen the leafy silver as lamboguy. Its taking so long and other colors like silver, white, grey and black came and went. I was adamant that if I'm paying over 16 lakh for my beauty, I can as well wait for a few more days to get the color I want.

Just a query...being so close to the festive season, did you manage to get anything like freebies or discounts from your dealer? Also, I thought that corporate discount should be same pan India..but my dealer told me I'd get only 15000 Rs initially. Later I came to know someone go 32000, so I made my dealer agree to this sum. Now I read somewhere here that in Mumbai people get around 45000!

Have you done any highway runs? When I TDed the automatic I felt a certain amount of lag, every time i needed a quick surge. I'd have to plunge the pedal and wait for a sec or two.

What do you think of the stock rubber? Any plan on changing them? If so, which would you recommend? I understand that you did not even go for the VW floormats. Did you get something else? Would you recommend going in for the mud flaps? They are so expensive and I feel they actually spoil the look somewhat.
Old 2nd October 2011, 17:20   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Are you saying many DSG failures in Skodas happen because of this?
It could be one of many possible reasons, and I'm just guessing here. For one, even the VW manual says that if there is pro-longed stop-start traffic, the DSG could get over-heated. Additionally, I've been reading a number of forums. This particular thread is interesting.

How to use a dsg gearbox - Page 2

The discussion becomes informative when Teutonic_Tamer, who seems to be some sort of expert comes in on Page 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by druk75 View Post
Many many congratulations Aurum!!! So envy you, right now. The color is brilliant. My first choice too, but my better half ruled it out. ( Our old Chevy Aveo in Arizona Amber guise went for at least 10 grands cheaper due to the peculiar shade- her reasoning)

I'm done with the booking and waiting for my Fraulein with excitement akin to when i waited for my first bicycle as a kid! I've also chosen the leafy silver as lamboguy. Its taking so long and other colors like silver, white, grey and black came and went. I was adamant that if I'm paying over 16 lakh for my beauty, I can as well wait for a few more days to get the color I want.

Just a query...being so close to the festive season, did you manage to get anything like freebies or discounts from your dealer? Also, I thought that corporate discount should be same pan India..but my dealer told me I'd get only 15000 Rs initially. Later I came to know someone go 32000, so I made my dealer agree to this sum. Now I read somewhere here that in Mumbai people get around 45000!

Have you done any highway runs? When I TDed the automatic I felt a certain amount of lag, every time i needed a quick surge. I'd have to plunge the pedal and wait for a sec or two.

What do you think of the stock rubber? Any plan on changing them? If so, which would you recommend? I understand that you did not even go for the VW floormats. Did you get something else? Would you recommend going in for the mud flaps? They are so expensive and I feel they actually spoil the look somewhat.
Thanks and congrats. I can imagine your excitement.

Went with the heart on this colour. Its not the easiest colour to get a consensus on. My wife was also partially leaning towards leaf, though she liked this one as well. I had to push the brown a bit.

Wouldnt expect any freebies or discounts for a newly launched car, except the corporate discount, which was indeed 45,000 here.

No extended highway runs as yet. If you really plunge the pedal, the wait is usually less than a second, and it really pushes you to the back of your seat. The sport mode makes it better. I havent seen any automatic I have driven handle it so well. You get from 1st to 6th in a very short period of time (i think in 10-12 secs, or probably less). I personally cant imagine trying to do it that fast in a manual.

I have issues with the stock rubber in terms of tyre noise. However, I dont intend to change them yet, and so havent really done the research. .anshuman changed his Laura tyres, and his thread might be useful.

There's no way I am putting mud flaps on this car. I went for the 3D mats. You wont get a custom size for the new Jetta yet, so you will have to make do with a Laura or 2010 Jetta one (I think they are the same).
Aurum is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 21:42   #19
BHPian

@Aurum, Congrats on your Jetta. Love the color. I am very seriously considering the Jetta, albeit the base version.Lovely pics. Would love if you can post some interior pics too.
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:16   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramv1 View Post
@Aurum, Congrats on your Jetta. Love the color. I am very seriously considering the Jetta, albeit the base version.Lovely pics. Would love if you can post some interior pics too.
Thanks, Vikramv1. There are rumours about the Petrol version now as well, so you could think about whether you want to wait for that. Will put up interior pics sometime next week. FYI, Rudra's pics in his review cant be beat, and my interiors pretty much look the same.
Aurum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the brilliant car ! While taking delivery of the Vento last week, I was drooling at the exact same Jetta parked next to my car. Even seriously considered it, as I knew there is no comparison between the two !! But as the Vento was for wifey, she absolutely did not want a bigger car, hence got the Vento.

But the Jetta is definately a great car, perfect not too big not too small. Hope you enjoy the car for a long time !!

Cheers
Old 4th October 2011, 11:48   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Congrats on the brilliant car ! While taking delivery of the Vento last week, I was drooling at the exact same Jetta parked next to my car. Even seriously considered it, as I knew there is no comparison between the two !! But as the Vento was for wifey, she absolutely did not want a bigger car, hence got the Vento.

But the Jetta is definately a great car, perfect not too big not too small. Hope you enjoy the car for a long time !!

Cheers
Thanks, Ricky_63. My feelings exactly! Its not too big, and not too small. My wife cant imagine driving anything bigger than her i10, so this was definitely out
Old 7th October 2011, 10:39   #23
BHPian

I just noticed when I took out dad's new Jetta for a drive to Elliott beach last night that the head lights turn when you turn the steering, illuminating the area which is otherwise invisible. I would've run over a dog sleeping on the road if it hadn't illuminated that area while turning left. Quite a useful feature. Have found this in high end motorbikes only. after the steering becomes straight, the extra illumination goes off. I think the left fog lamp or the right fog lamp turns on while turning. Will do a check again when the car is stationary and report more about this.
Old 7th October 2011, 11:25   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
I just noticed when I took out dad's new Jetta for a drive to Elliott beach last night that the head lights turn when you turn the steering, illuminating the area which is otherwise invisible.
This feature is available in the Jetta cousin (Laura) as well as in high end cars like Porsche. In fact the first time I saw this feature was in a Cayenne (3-4 years back) and boy was I impressed!
Check the below link on official Skoda Laura page
Skoda Laura features
Old 7th October 2011, 22:18   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I just noticed when I took out dad's new Jetta for a drive to Elliott beach last night that the head lights turn when you turn the steering, illuminating the area which is otherwise invisible. I would've run over a dog sleeping on the road if it hadn't illuminated that area while turning left. Quite a useful feature. Have found this in high end motorbikes only. after the steering becomes straight, the extra illumination goes off. I think the left fog lamp or the right fog lamp turns on while turning. Will do a check again when the car is stationary and report more about this.
What a Co-incidence! It was dark when i was removing the new jetta out of a tight parking spot and noticed the extra illumination. Later I reached my residence and played around a bit. This feature came a pleasant surprise.

lamboguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2011, 03:00   #26
BHPian

Guys, this is just superb. The New Jetta "HIDDEN FEATURES" list does not cease to amaze, impress and elate me!!! #$%$^%*happybunnydance*

But both deepakchan's and lamboguy's cars having this means, it is available on CL and HL. Any guess about the TL? I had read about these auto-turning lights in many luxury cars, but did not expect them to be incorporated into the Jetta, keeping in mind VW's strategy for India. Also, if the Skoda spec list mentions this as a feature, why does the VW brochure not carry this detail? Beats me.... should we regard this as VW's lackluster approach? Or careless mistake on the part of the agency responsible for typo-graphics?

Loved the video. Thanks.
Old 8th October 2011, 13:59   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druk75 View Post
Guys, this is just superb. The New Jetta "HIDDEN FEATURES" list does not cease to amaze, impress and elate me!!! #$%$^%*happybunnydance*

But both deepakchan's and lamboguy's cars having this means, it is available on CL and HL. Any guess about the TL? I had read about these auto-turning lights...

Loved the video. Thanks.
Welcome!

No this feature will not be available on TL. deepakchan's speculation of the illumination being due to fog lamps is correct. When you turn the steering, the respective fog lights turn on. And I must give credit to VW for the way in which the fog lamps turn on. Gives u nice illusion of the lights turning!

P.S. Pardon my ignorance but I always thought the auto turning of lights is possible only on projector lamps. If thats true, VW played a smart one for Jetta.
Old 8th October 2011, 14:32   #28
Team-BHP Support

A big congratulation Aurum! Lovely colour you picked up there. Our TD cars were all flat silver.

By the way I've missed this on the review, did you find anything abnormal with the horn? Because I did. Horn in that car felt like having a delayed response. Button was hard to press and sound (honk) wasn't instant.

I would love to shoot your car someday. That colour is way too tempting.
Old 8th October 2011, 20:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Aurum! Welcome to Team BHP!

Your Jetta looks beautiful. I literally couldn't take my eyes off the car especially when viewed dead front. After those amazing trio of opening pictures from Rudra's review, the pictures that you took are the next best until now. Wishing you miles and miles of happy motoring in the 'German' automobile. Do keep all of us posted on what's hot and what's not in the Jetta month on month.
Old 9th October 2011, 22:58   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Thats a nice catch! I did notice that the throw is wider than I was used to, but didn't know that it was responding to steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrek_924 View Post
This feature is available in the Jetta cousin (Laura) as well as in high end cars like Porsche. In fact the first time I saw this feature was in a Cayenne (3-4 years back) and boy was I impressed!
Check the below link on official Skoda Laura page
Skoda Laura features
In the Laura. I think its done with the projector lamps, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
What a Co-incidence! It was dark when i was removing the new jetta out of a tight parking spot and noticed the extra illumination. Later I reached my residence and played around a bit. This feature came a pleasant surprise.

Jetta turning - illumination - YouTube
Thats a cool video. nice one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
A big congratulation Aurum! Lovely colour you picked up there. Our TD cars were all flat silver.

By the way I've missed this on the review, did you find anything abnormal with the horn? Because I did. Horn in that car felt like having a delayed response. Button was hard to press and sound (honk) wasn't instant.

I would love to shoot your car someday. That colour is way too tempting.
Thanks, Rudra! The more the number of people who contribute to the decision, the less likely that one will go for this colour. In fact, if I hadnt seen the colour myself, I wouldnt have gone for "Toffee Brown". Sounds suspicious.

It would be an honour to have you shoot the car! PM whenever you are in Mumbai!

The horn is harder than usual, and does have a slight delay. It clicks and then blares. You get used to it pretty soon, and its a very slight delay, so nothing to be concerned about. Its disincentivising my driver from using it at every occasion, so I think that's good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Congrats Aurum! Welcome to Team BHP!

Your Jetta looks beautiful. I literally couldn't take my eyes off the car especially when viewed dead front. After those amazing trio of opening pictures from Rudra's review, the pictures that you took are the next best until now. Wishing you miles and miles of happy motoring in the 'German' automobile. Do keep all of us posted on what's hot and what's not in the Jetta month on month.
Thanks! I plan on doing that. My first small update will come up tomorrow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks