Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2011, 22:16   #16
BHPian

Re: Booked Toyota Etios Petrol, ended up buying Ford Figo Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
At mom's request, we also considered "safe choices" namely Suzuki DZire, Hyundai i10 and Hyundai i20 (though i20 exceeds mentioned budget but an exception can be added due to its status as a rich man's car).
Although I avoid Hyundai, the Hyundai i20 was on my list because it had a 6-speed MT as opposed to the 5-speed MT on most of the vehicles of its class but the 6-speed MT was later phased out and the 5-speed MT was put back in.

Quote:
Everything except for AC was no better than my Esteem.
My Esteem AC was really good when new. There was mist because of the temperature difference between the air blowing out and the temperature in the cabin when the AC was switched on. Alas, it was no longer the case after a few months.

Quote:
Suzuki DZire Hated its bulbous rear, cramped rear and pathetic interior plastic quality. Felt a downgrade from Esteem. The fact that a new version was due in near future.
The DZire definitely seems like a downgrade from an Esteem and therefore a lot of Esteem owners including myself felt that the DZire was no replacement for the Esteem and considered other models. However, seeing the over-priced SX4 has made me consider the DZire again but I'd rather wait for the new model than get something that is outdated within a few months.

Quote:
Tata Manza No offence meant to Tata owners but "it is a Tata!".
If I don't pick a DZire during my purchase next year, I'll be considering a Tata Manza despite concerns over the service network. The space makes it great for the airport runs.

Quote:
Fiat What if the Punto has a problem? Who will fix it?
I did consider the Fiat Linea but seeing how Fiat is sold and serviced through Tata's network and they do not exactly serve the Fiat the way they serve a Tata, I decided against it. Other than that issue, the Fiat Linea is a great Esteem replacement.

Quote:
Ritz The rear design says it all.
The Ritz styling is a lot like that of the fins on the old Ford Edsel. A few decades in the future, you'll see a Ritz in a movie four decades down the line and the kids watching it would think all of us drove one of those or something similar.

Quote:
Suzuki Swift Crazy long waiting list plus cramped rear and practically no boot.
Right now, I guess the waiting list and production problems would mean a 6-month waiting list.

Quote:
They were ready to book the car only for Rs 1000.
When I wanted to buy an Esteem, at Mithra motors the booking amount was 90% of the price whereas at Varun Motors it was only Rs.10,000/-.

Quote:
"scratches are common on new cars and automatically disappear on third day", "why such a big issue, you are going to scratch the windscreen one day anyway"
I've never had the issue when buying a new Maruti or Toyota and the showroom typically takes care of dealing with any repairs needed before contacting customers. You should have probably responded with, "If the scratch on the car automatically disappears, this car should be donated to a research laboratory for studying its self-healing properties," and "If I'm going to sell the car one day, why such an issue and even buy the car?"

(unable to quote because the editor keeps turning everything I type into bold even when I try to 'un-bold' it, but I'm referring to your mention about the boot space and head lamp mist)

What I like the most about the Figo is the boot space.

BTW, there shouldn't be any mist along the head lamps. Try to have them checked on the next service. I only had that issue with a cracked head lamp cover.
Quote:
I would be grateful if anyone can guide me about the following issues.
  • What should be done regarding the scratch on the windscreen? I don't want to replace it. Original is the best. Should I claim for some compensation instead?
  • What should be done to make the seats softer and hence more comfortable for long journeys?
Replacing the windshield is typically done without resulting in any leaks. The original windshield on my Esteem was destroyed by a flower pot my nephew dropped on the car and I didn't know it was replaced till I was told about the incident. The car has been used in heavy rains and the windshield hasn't leaked at all. If you can get either compensation or a replacement, you should go for it but you shouldn't accept it with the scratch when you bought it as a new vehicle from the showroom.

The seats can be made softer with padding and a seat cover over it. The padding would be noticeable near the rear of the seat but should not really be a concern (if it is, get an extra pin to have the seat bottom cover attached to the seat-back cover).
k_nitin_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2011, 22:52   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
You should have probably responded with, "If the scratch on the car automatically disappears, this car should be donated to a research laboratory for studying its self-healing properties,"

Quote:
BTW, there shouldn't be any mist along the head lamps. Try to have them checked on the next service. I only had that issue with a cracked head lamp cover.
I am still confused if there is a crack in headlamp cover since the misting occurred only once, and that too not during the first time usage. I will better check it myself than with the dealer.

Quote:
Replacing the windshield is typically done without resulting in any leaks. The original windshield on my Esteem was destroyed by a flower pot my nephew dropped on the car and I didn't know it was replaced till I was told about the incident. The car has been used in heavy rains and the windshield hasn't leaked at all.
Actually, you are a lucky one. Loads of people complain of water leaking inside due to poor fitting of replacement windshield. I think that the scratch is not that a big issue and hence, I would settle for a freebie (seat covers with padding instead).

Quote:
If you can get either compensation or a replacement, you should go for it but you shouldn't accept it with the scratch when you bought it as a new vehicle from the showroom.
I know! But even after two days of inspection, I failed to spot it. I spotted it only when the payment was made and the car was already registered in my mom's name.

Quote:
The seats can be made softer with padding and a seat cover over it. The padding would be noticeable near the rear of the seat but should not really be a concern (if it is, get an extra pin to have the seat bottom cover attached to the seat-back cover).
I am looking for pics of such seats on Team-BHP before putting them on my car. Thanks for details especially "The padding would be noticeable near the rear of the seat but should not really be a concern"!
Old 26th September 2011, 15:35   #18
BHPian

Congrats in the new Car. That's a really nice review/ownership thread mate.

And as you mentioned "I rate Ford Figo as an average car with sheer practicality and unbeatable VFM.", Figo is just that and nothing more. Its an average car for an average Joe, looking for VFM. BTW what happened to the "skatch on the bind screen" issue? Try not to drag it for long, decide on something and close it.

Kudos on the review again.
Old 26th September 2011, 17:22   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statement View Post
BTW what happened to the "skatch on the bind screen" issue? Try not to drag it for long, decide on something and close it.

Kudos on the review again.
Thanks Statement

Even though the scratch is so light that I almost never notice it while driving, I will remember to do something about it during the first service which is two months away. There is no need to hurry and waste time about it since it has already been mentioned in the documents and that there is a case pending in consumer complaints about the scratch.
Old 26th September 2011, 19:52   #20
kkg
BHPian

Congrats for your new Ford mate. Please keep posting on this thread regularly about the FE figures of your Figo. A petrol Figo is a kind of rare one and some decent FE figures would justify its presence.

Off topic, you complained about the rear legroom space in Figo, Beat and Dezire but coming for the age old Esteem(no offence), that should not have been issue.

Last edited by kkg : 26th September 2011 at 19:53.
Old 26th September 2011, 20:06   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
Off topic, you complained about the rear legroom space in Figo, Beat and Dezire but coming for the age old Esteem(no offence), that should not have been issue.
This is not off-topic, mate. And, I didn't take any offence.

Esteem has long, thoroughly thigh-supporting and really soft rear seats. Plus, the inclination of backrest is much more than in most modern cars. For this reason, we never felt need to move around our legs even on 700+km journeys.

Figo, like most cars today, has rather short seats to give illusion of massive leg space. This, combined with lack of thigh support, thin & hard foam and less inclined backrest, makes us uncomfortable and hence move around our legs frequently in attempt to get comfortable, resulting in the illusion of the rear legroom being cramped.
Old 26th September 2011, 20:49   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Actually, as per discussion on Etios' Facebook fan page, there are many people who want to buy base model of Etios but are easily forced to buy G model instead by the dealers.

This is just a scam by Toyota (company or dealers, I am not sure) to advertise Etios having price starting from 4.99 lac by having non-existent J model when actual on-road price is more than 6 lac.
The behaviour of the dealers does give rise to the exact same suspicion. Why Toyota? Do you really think that you can gain in the long-term by hoodwinking a customer?! But then, if there are enough customers, there isn't even that unethical reason for Toyota not to supply the variant. Anyways...

Quote:
I am not very disappointed for cancelling Etios since there are many fields where Figo is better than Etios.
Yeah. You gain some, you lose some! It's the overall package that matters.

By the way, I forgot to compliment you earlier for a detailed unbiased ownership report. Please do keep up the good work by regularly updating the thread.
Old 29th September 2011, 07:08   #23
BHPian

Congrats for the Figo
Is there any difference in quality of components between LXi and EXi, like different seat material etc? I remember reading that seat material is different between top variant and others.

Akshay
Old 29th September 2011, 08:26   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I've never had the issue when buying a new Maruti or Toyota and the showroom typically takes care of dealing with any repairs needed before contacting customers.
Sorry for being late in asking but is not it better to see new car as it is and not repaired up? Selling a repaired car to a customer is unethical.

I would prefer zero repairs so that I can see that a vehicle was damaged (even if it is just a scratch on bumper) and choose not to buy that one.

So, looks like you are in hunt for a new car. Why have you not considered Etios when from your post, it appears that you have bought Toyota at least once? You also say that you never had a problem with Toyota.

I don't know why people on T-BHP prefer Jazz more than Etios. Etios was the only car under budget of 7lac which I felt to be a true upgrade from Esteem.
Old 29th September 2011, 13:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for being late in asking but is not it better to see new car as it is and not repaired up? Selling a repaired car to a customer is unethical.
On consumer electronics, I wouldn't want a repaired unit. However, if the bumper or windshield on a vehicle were replaced, it would be acceptable to many people. However, I do agree with you - it is unethical to hide the fact that something has been replaced on the vehicle. It's like putting an old pair of speakers in a new box and having the box sealed.

Quote:
So, looks like you are in hunt for a new car. Why have you not considered Etios when from your post, it appears that you have bought Toyota at least once? You also say that you never had a problem with Toyota.
In the UAE, Al Futtain (the Toyota dealer and service station) charges the least for spares and labor for a Toyota therefore it easy to maintain. In India, Maruti charges the least therefore a Maruti.

Quote:
I don't know why people on T-BHP prefer Jazz more than Etios. Etios was the only car under budget of 7lac which I felt to be a true upgrade from Esteem.
In terms of looks, I thought the Fiat Linea and the Maruti SX4 served as good replacement for Esteems. However, neither is in the same price range. The DZire simply doesn't appeal to the Esteem owners though it is a VFM package.
Old 29th September 2011, 14:31   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Congrats for the Figo
Is there any difference in quality of components between LXi and EXi, like different seat material etc? I remember reading that seat material is different between top variant and others.
Akshay
Thanks akshay

From my inspection, I found no difference in quality of components across different model ranges of Figo. Regarding seats, only fabric colour is different but material is indeed same.

In case you are interested in knowing more, I even observed that that many Figo's came from factory without door handles and cover for ORVM's. You can also see that Figo's don't have model description (LXi, ZXi etc) pasted on its back. So my conclusion is, factory ships only LXi, mid-variant and Titanium.

The dealers then add accessories to mid-variant to make EXi, GXi and ZXi.

Hope this helps
Old 11th October 2011, 15:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

That is one EXHAUSTIVE review mate!! I hope you have fun with your car!!!
Old 11th October 2011, 20:41   #28
BHPian

Thanks Thank you all for appreciating my review. This warms up my heart
I will certainly be updating this thread once enough time passes and I have covered more km revving my car.

Mileage I know that it is too early to comment about mileage but it is always the burning question for most people. So here is my comment that this car's mileage is not be as high as Wagon R but it is extremely consistent.

Ever since it has arrived my home, it has always been revved hard, AC has been on 100% of time, made to wait at red lights for 3-6 min, used to teach my mom and sister driving, often taken out and back in my garage for cleaning purpose, never driven at constant speed except when stuck behind a vehicle and yet it has returned 11kpl so far at only 450km reading on odometer.

Extra reading In case anyone is interested and has missed this thread, here it is http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...t-ves-ves.html by EagleEye.

This thread is excellent for reading for anyone who wants to read random small things about Figo diesel.
Old 21st October 2011, 17:26   #29
BHPian

DevilsCry, Congratulations on your Figo Petrol. I think you and I are the only few Figo petrol owners here. Mine is a Zxi. Nice review. I wish I had the expertise and passion to write my experience, but I am lazy.

Slightly off topic: Does anyone know what is the default key to pair the bluetooth to another device? I unpaired my phone with the music system as it had some issues. Now I dont have the code anymore. Help?
Old 21st October 2011, 22:21   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
DevilsCry, Congratulations on your Figo Petrol. I think you and I are the only few Figo petrol owners here. Mine is a Zxi. Nice review. I wish I had the expertise and passion to write my experience, but I am lazy.
Thanks gtonsing. Actually, I realized that once you start writing, you realize that you have a great passion and are able to write a highly detailed review. As for expertise, look again carefully, my review totally lacks any kind of expertise. All the points are mere what I feel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
Slightly off topic: Does anyone know what is the default key to pair the bluetooth to another device? I unpaired my phone with the music system as it had some issues. Now I dont have the code anymore. Help?
I don't have any music system in my car since I am a complete petrolhead who prefers only the sound of the engine

Anyway, I suggest 0000 or 1234. These are the most common codes. If it doesn't solve the problem then refer to your manual (hoping that you didn't lose it), the manual is surprisingly super useful!
DevilsCry is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed