Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2015, 23:10   #2491
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abkett View Post
Swift to get diesel AMT during festive season :

Swift diesel is supposedly getting an AMT version . It may make it the most affodable diesel automatic car during launch period .Launch expected during october / November 2015 .

Italian supplier of AMT Magneti Marelli is setting up their own factory in India to meet excessive demand from Maruti .
I will go to a temple and pray for the competition. I will also pray that the waiting list is less than a year for this.

Maruti has sealed this even before the launch. I hope have they have AMT kits in thousands in ready steady go mode.
Old 18th March 2015, 11:25   #2492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
1> Try to stretch for the ZXi model if possible. There is no price that can be put on safety, plus the ZXi as a bonus has a lot of great features.
Zxi model is going 7lakhs + which is beyond my budget.

I am planning to take a detail look at Grand i10. Its magna version is priced at 5.60 lakhs and with additional discounts it would be below 5.50 lakhs.

These days, to get a descent Hatchback we have to now shell our till 6 lakhs.

Just yesterday i was reading one post where one BHPian mentioned about the how in 2006 we could get Honda city at 6 lakhs. World is really getting expensive.
Old 18th March 2015, 14:57   #2493
BHPian

The new Zxi model is priced at about 7L plus here in my place. There are no discounts or offers available. I have also visited the Hyundai dealership for enquiring about the Elite i20. Sportz version of an elite i20 was there on display at the showroom and it looked beautiful. It had almost all the features that I need, and that too at almost the same price point as the swift Zxi. I have never seen the new Zxi in person. So I can’t just choose one among these two. Is there anyone in our forum who owns the new Zxi? I have searched, but could not find anyone.
Old 19th March 2015, 19:47   #2494
Senior - BHPian

Guys need your help to assess what has gone wrong here. A relative did a 500 km drive last Sunday and whenever he went above 80,he heard a grinding noise like some plastic parts are being rubbed against each other. Pulled over 3 times but was unable to identify the cause.

They got home really late so couldn't check it on Sunday. When I checked the underbody on Monday, I didn't like what I saw. Attaching a few pics here:

Notice the plastic flap that has come off. I suspect this caused the grinding noise
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-img_20150318_223657.jpg

Underbody seems to be drenched in Oil ?
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-img_20150318_223800.jpg

Oil level too close to Minimum level ?
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-img_20150319_191225.jpg
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-img_20150319_191833.jpg
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-img_20150319_191858.jpg

Isn't the oil level dangerously close to 'Min' level? Sueggesting a engine oil leakage perhaps ?
I don't remember the underbody ever suffering such a hit recently. My Mom said even during the Sunday journey there was no underbody hit. So if its oil,how did the leak happen ? Also,the Temp gauge was at the normal position when they returned.
I haven't driven the car since Monday and plan to take it to the service centre soon. What should I get inspected ?

Last edited by shashank.nk : 19th March 2015 at 19:49.
Old 20th March 2015, 14:06   #2495
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Notice the plastic flap that has come off. I suspect this caused the grinding noise
The engine guard (Plastic) seems to have sheared off. Looks like a underbody hit.

Check the lower arm once too.

Quote:
Is there any dent or scratches around the area where oil is leaking?

Quote:
Oil level too close to Minimum level ?
Hope the level was checked when engine was cold!

For now 'Top-up' and change it after you get the source of the leakage.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 14:43   #2496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The engine guard (Plastic) seems to have sheared off. Looks like a underbody hit. Check the lower arm once too.
Those plastic bolts that hold it are missing too. Will get it inspected soon.

Quote:
I think I'll have to get it on a ramp to be sure. Can't see any for now.

Quote:
Almost cold. Which is why I think I got false readings. It had idled for a minute,but I let the engine cool down for an hour before checking

Just checked the Oil level now and it seems fine. Here's a pic
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-img_20150320_142541.jpg

But surely,there's leakage somewhere. If not the underbody won't get drenched like that would it ?
Old 20th March 2015, 14:45   #2497
BHPian

Quote:
Attaching a few pics here:

Attachment 1351267

What should I get inspected ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The engine guard (Plastic) seems to have sheared off. Looks like a underbody hit.

Check the lower arm once too.

The green colored stuff that you see is most probably the grease from the drive shaft's boot. Look closely and you will find it to be grease.
Get the boot checked for any tear/split/cracks and replace it as soon as possible after cleaning and greasing the cv joint.

That plastic under-body guard is held by flimsy plastic clips and is known to fall off easily. Use a nut-bolt with large washers in-between to prevent this from coming loose .
interc00led is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 20:46   #2498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
Get the boot checked for any tear/split/cracks and replace it as soon as possible after cleaning and greasing the cv joint.
I'm a little held up this week and unfortunately need to use the car as well. Can I drive around for a week before I can get it done ? If not I'll probably give them the car day after.
Old 25th March 2015, 14:19   #2499
Senior - BHPian

Dropped the car for driveshaft replacement. 'Intercooled' was spot on with the drive shaft boot having gone bust. It looked like the work of a rat.
I have two queries though:
  • Can I just replace the boot and not the entire shaft ? Service centre says they don't have the boot alone and I need to replace the entire shaft
  • With vehicle stationary and handbrake disengaged,if I turn the steering wheel either right or left there's 'kat-kat' noise heard. This noise aggravates when turning on roads with broken patches. SA says this is normal and is because of the play in steering motor. However i'm not convinced with this. Is this normal ? What can be the cause of this noise ?

Last edited by shashank.nk : 25th March 2015 at 14:37.
Old 25th March 2015, 14:36   #2500
BHPian

Quote:
With vehicle stationary and handbrake disengaged,if I turn the steering wheel either right or left there's 'kat-kat' noise heard. SA says this is normal and is because of the play of steering motor. However i'm not convinced with this. Is this normal ? What can be the cause of this noise ?
Check the tie rod, they call it a "chimta" in Delhi, the ends have a grease filled rubber housing. The sound appears when the housing leaks grease. Are you also getting a low level "khad khad khad" sound when driving over a broken road?
shady_lawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 14:44   #2501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady_lawyer View Post
Check the tie rod, they call it a "chimta" in Delhi, the ends have a grease filled rubber housing. The sound appears when the housing leaks grease. Are you also getting a low level "khad khad khad" sound when driving over a broken road?
I got the stabiliser bar changed and that didn't solve anything. Will ask them to check the tie rod ends too.
Yes I get 'khad khad' noise when driven straight over broken roads too,it gets louder if the road is bad and i'm turning left or right.
Old 27th March 2015, 19:21   #2502
Senior - BHPian

Got the car back today with a 3906 bill,out of which 1112 (462+650) was paid towards the driveshaft boot and labour to replace it.

The gear assembly on my car was also replaced as it had a lot of play and would rotate freely. The assembly costs 980 which Maruti covered under extended warranty
However,they charged me 330 bucks for the knob,which was weird since the knob should also have been covered. I didn't argue since the amount was only 330.

I also got a 5k service done so the car feels slightly better to drive. Apart from all this I'd ordered a set of Hella Black Pearl horn which the service centre guys obliged to install on my car. It sounds great compared to the stock horn only problem is it isn't waterproof like stock horn which are also Hella btw.

I had ordered a OBD II reader from aliexpress that reached me day before and it works flawlessly on my car,a 2011 Swift Zdi. The old one bought from ebay was of inferior quality I guess,which is why I had issues.

The knocking sound when driven on bad roads and when taking turns seems to have disappeared for now. Hope they're gone for good this time

They charged me 86 for these not too bad looking valve caps with Suzuki logo.
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-img_20150327_184611.jpg

The next big update would be after I install Fxr 3.0 projectors on the car which should happen sometime in May I guess.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 27th March 2015 at 19:24.
Old 27th March 2015, 20:00   #2503
BHPian

Quote:
However,they charged me 330 bucks for the knob,which was weird since the knob should also have been covered. I didn't argue since the amount was only 330.
The knob is reusable. It can be removed.

Not sure what you mean by Gear Assembly - Gear cable or gear shifter mount? If they replaced gear mount, then old knob can be used because it just slides over the shifter.

The gear mount doesnt come with knob, both are 2 separate parts.

Yes, its a small amount, but it is clear that some maruti dealers can unnecessarily cheat people too!
Attached Images

Last edited by aerohit : 27th March 2015 at 20:03.
Old 27th March 2015, 20:37   #2504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
The knob is reusable. It can be removed.

Not sure what you mean by Gear Assembly - Gear cable or gear shifter mount?
Bill reads 'Gear shifting Control Lever' for this part. In my case the knob would also rotate and has resulted in many mis/delayed shifts. I think that's why these chaps replaced it,but can't be 100% sure. Are you saying the knob simply snaps on and can never go bad ?

EDIT: Got this from the internet,the knob has a T shape stopper on the inside that supposedly prevents knob from rotating freely. Here's a pic
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-knob.jpg

In my case I guess one of the stoppers went bad which resulted in rotation or may be I just got cheated!

Last edited by shashank.nk : 27th March 2015 at 20:51.
Old 29th March 2015, 20:18   #2505
BHPian

Hi everyone,
I am about to book the new Swift Zxi, and plan to take delivery by the end of 2nd week of next month preferably on the auspicious day of vishu. The color is fire red. Can someone please suggest accessory shops in and around Trivandrum from where I can get seat covers done for my car. I have searched online, but still haven't come across anything to my satisfaction. I really liked the seat covers in the swift windsong edition, but i would like to have red instead of yellow in that design. What will be the approximate costs for that if i try to custom build one for me?

Most Viewed