Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2020, 10:47   #2926
BHPian

Re: Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
IIRC the second generation Swift had H8 35W fog lamps in them from factory. I had fit HID's projectors in them.

If you have added the 55W in fog lamp it is recommended to add that setup with a relay.
Okay, then I'll search for the suitable relay for 55W fog lamps.

Further, I have the thought coming in my mind: is this fog lamp fuse and wire cross section are of same ratings like stock 55W head lamps or of lesser rating?

Fuse could be of different rating for 55W (for 12VDC 35W lamp current is approx. 3 Amp, and. For 55W lamp it is 4.6 Amp.); But usually wire cross sections are standard. Are the wire cross sections same for the head lamp and fog lamp?

When the technician was changing the lamps, I could see the wires for both head lamp and fog lamps are very thin, may be 0.5 sq mm or even less! 0.5 sq mm can carry upto 3 Amp current, whether it can carry 4.6 Amp current? Otherwise it will melt due to heat generated I2Rt (I square x resistance x time); R and T remaining same.

Is this 55W relay set-up includes the wiring change up to lamp socket end?
Old 20th December 2020, 15:05   #2927
BHPian

Update: The swift manual says, 15A fuse rating for each of the head lights (L & R). And the fog lamp fuse is rated 20A (only one number).

So, fuse rating is not the problem. Question is whether the thin wires can withstand the current/ insulation does not melt due to higher current 4.6A in place of 3A).

How to merge this post with last one #2926?

Last edited by RijuC : 20th December 2020 at 15:06.
Old 21st December 2020, 10:23   #2928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Question is whether the thin wires can withstand the current/ insulation does not melt due to higher current 4.6A in place of 3A).
Practically speaking, do you see any significant improvement in lighting with 55W fog lamps?

Stock 35W ones on my car serve no purpose and are overshadowed completely by the main headlamps. Fog lamp projectors are a different thing but, in my opinion, stock reflector housing offers very limited coverage even with upgraded bulbs.

Aftermarket wiring kits do come with thicker wiring and relay but the ceramic holders are for H4 bulbs. If you can find one with H8/11 holders, it will address your concerns regarding factory wiring. A wiring kit will bypass factory wiring and draw current directly from the battery. Otherwise I think you should move back to stock bulbs instead of risking a fire hazard and ask the shopkeeper to give you some other accessory in return.

Last edited by self_driven : 21st December 2020 at 10:26.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 10:37   #2929
BANNED

Quote:
Fuse could be of different rating for 55W (for 12VDC 35W lamp current is approx. 3 Amp, and. For 55W lamp it is 4.6 Amp.)
Quote:
Is this 55W relay set-up includes the wiring change up to lamp socket end?
Quote:
So, fuse rating is not the problem. Question is whether the thin wires can withstand the current/ insulation does not melt due to higher current 4.6A in place of 3A).
When I had installed HID projectors in my Swift fog lamps, I don't think I had used any relay or thicker wiring for those 55W ballast kit.

But when I did an HID projector retrofit in my Creta, I had used an HD Relay supplied by Morimoto which draws the main power from a battery and switching on/off current from the OEM headlight coupler.

So what I suggest you get is a relay wiring harness that you plug into the OEM fog light connector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Aftermarket wiring kits do come with thicker wiring and relay but the ceramic holders are for H4 bulbs. If you can find one with H8/11 holders, it will address your concerns regarding factory wiring.
+1.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 15:17   #2930
BHPian

During my recent trip, the petrol pump attendant has made this deep scratch along the entire hatch while cleaning the rear windshield

MASS suggests to ignore the scratch or repaint the entire hatch. I had claimed insurance earlier for windshield replacement, so NCB is already gone.

Should i repaint the entire hatch or do i have any other options?
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-20210109_103828_hdr.jpg  

Last edited by Ponbaarathi : 12th January 2021 at 15:32.
Ponbaarathi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 06:04   #2931
bkc
BHPian

Any idea of part number, for Swift 2015 left side orvm?
The folding motor keeps running but doesn't fold so, disconnected it's wire and using it manually.

Mirror, cowl and indicators are fine. The motor shaft is slipping the gearwheel, tried using araldite and the jugaad also failed.
Old 4th September 2021, 22:06   #2932

Swift Headlight indication lamp remains on after ignition off

Swift Vxi 2013, the headlight indication lamp used to blink intermittently, took my car to service centre. They checked the instrument cluster wiring and reported everything is fine but now the indication light remains on constantly. The flickering has stopped. Battery is Amaron 42B20L installed in December 2018. Battery was also checked by service centre before a few weeks and was reported to be fine.
Old 8th November 2021, 15:19   #2933
BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift : Official Review

My Swift car model is Swift VXi (O) October, 2016 model. I am started driving it since June, 2020. Before that it was rarely used and was driven by full time and agency hired drivers for the first 8550 km. And since June, 2020 my total km driven is ~10500 km.

The FE average figure varies between 18 to 19.5 kmpl. I usually turn on AC full time, even in winters (at minimum blue dial/ cooling position to avoid fogging).
My location is Gurgaon.

This Friday, we were feeling suffocated due to the toxic air pollution and bad weather condition (weather was very depressing). So decided to visit Kaudiyala, about 40 km from Rishikesh towards Devprayag. Booked the GMVN online (I usually stay in GMVN/ KMVN due to their excellent location). It was on the highway. Started at 12:50 hrs (night) after wife returned from work (US aligned work hours) from Gurgaon home (near Hero Honda Chawk). All tyres had 33 psi, also kept the spare ready (had a big puncture in rear left on Dipawali day).

Reached Haridwar Har ki Pauri Pt. Dindayal parking area by 5 AM with one tea/loo break for 15 minutes. 4 hours to reach Haridwar from Gurgaon/New Gurugaon area. I took the Meerut expressway route from Delhi. Had the breakfast and tea etc. there. Then we reached Kaudiyala by 7:45 AM. Had the breakfast and finally got the room at 10 AM.

Sunday we started from there at 12:50 pm. However, Rishikesh roads were jam packed. And it was finally 4:25 PM when we could reach Haridwar parking area, after a 45 minutes lunch break near Raiwala. Attended the Ganga Aarti, had usual sweet platters from Mohan ji sweet and Puri wale shop at the corner of Har ki Pauri Ghat, and packed Puri, Kachauri and Dry Sabji packed for late night dinner. Started again from Haridwar at 7:50 PM.

But this time during the return journey I had to slow down because of high traffic and road crossing by local vehicles, bikes, cycles, oncoming cars from opposite side with high headlamp. It was a complete mess. Even the Meerut expressway had dense traffic. Finally reached Gurgaon home at about 12:50 hrs night.

I filled up fuel tank with 37 litre petrol 1 day before the journey (37*95~3550 was the bill, thanks to the excise reduction in Haryana) on 5th November, 2021.

Total km driven=650 km, FE as per instrument console=20.3 kmpl, I guess remaining petrol is good to go for ~80-100 km more.

Attaching the instrument console photo taken after completion of the trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-20211108_133040collage.jpg  

Last edited by RijuC : 8th November 2021 at 15:21.
RijuC is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 12:04   #2934
BHPian

This weekend we were in Fagu, and 26th Dec it was snowing lightly from Afternoon. The swift (petrol oct, 2016) car was parked under open air. Overnight there was about 1/2 inch snow on the car and all windows headlamps were frosted. I tried to start the car at about 11 AM on 27th Dec. But it didn't start in the first attempt (with usual time it takes). Then I tried to start it again and hold the ignition key in position for a much longer time and then it started. Kept it running for about 15-20 minutes in idle and then started the return journey.

What would have gone wrong? I have never experienced battery down etc. (I reside in Gurgaon). The car has run 20k so far. Battery is the original one since purchase.
Old 18th January 2022, 13:47   #2935
BHPian

Help required:

(1) Whether I can replace the OEM music system with a touch screen type in Swift 2016 model?

My budget is 15k approximately (without the speakers). I am looking for a good responsive touch screen based system which can also run the Google map- on its' own or connecting through the Android based mobiles.

I do not intend to use any subwoofer. However a clear and distortion free set of speakers would be good. Would like to just replace the existing door speakers.

I need a rear view camera also while parking. Is it possible to see the rear view camera feed on this audio system when I change to reverse gear, and with guided lines?

Also, the installation shall be plug and play without cutting any wires.

(2) Suggestion for a tyre replacement/upgrade is required. My present tyres are Apollo Amazer 3G 165/80 R14, almost half life is spent (21k run).

My everyday running includes a 5 km no tarmac completely broken patch of road (or no road)+ 10-15 km on highway and rest are city traffic wherever I go. Long drives include average to pathetic Haryana highways. The average wear would be on higher side.

And the tyres must have excellent grip on winding roads of Himalayan mountains.
Old 23rd January 2022, 11:00   #2936
BHPian

Quote:
(2) Suggestion for a tyre replacement/upgrade is required. My present tyres are Apollo Amazer 3G 165/80 R14, almost half life is spent (21k run).

My everyday running includes a 5 km no tarmac completely broken patch of road (or no road)+ 10-15 km on highway and rest are city traffic wherever I go. Long drives include average to pathetic Haryana highways. The average wear would be on higher side.

And the tyres must have excellent grip on winding roads of Himalayan mountains.
Would suggest the Yoko Earth. They are good for the varied types of Indian roads. But keep in mind they are a bit noisy.
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 22:18   #2937
BHPian

2013 Zxi Swift run only 32,000 km.

I need to service the car, change the oil, oil filter, air filter, maybe gear oil, and get the suspension checked - the rear suspension rubber bushes look worn out.

The last service was done at the dealership approx a year ago, because the clutch was fried by the driver whom my folks had hired.

Just spoke to the ASS today regarding the cost for the above service and was quoted around 6k or more. They are charging 3k for the oil.

The manual for the car says the engine oil has got to be 5w30.

I am looking at options on Amazon, the prices seem cheap for Fully Synthetic oil.

Confused about which oil to buy. All prices are within the 2k-2.3k range for 3.5 liters of 5w30 fully synth. Choices are:

-Shell Helix HX8
-Idemitsu IFD 5
-Motul Eco Tech Plus
-Castrol Magnatec Start Stop

or should I be looking at something else?

Had changed the coolant recently at Shell. The chap drained out the old coolant and put in 4 liters of Shell coolant but didn't mix any distilled water. Is that problem?

Also is it a good idea to get the car serviced at the authorized service center and is the extra cost worth it or should I get the car serviced at the local mechanic who comes with high recommendations and whom I have gone to before for small work before going on long drives and am pretty happy with.

Please advise. Looking to get the car serviced asap as I have to travel out of town soon.
Old 31st March 2023, 08:59   #2938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie View Post
I am looking at options on Amazon, the prices seem cheap for Fully Synthetic oil.
Fully synthetic oil at MASS will cost you around 1000 bucks per litre. Yes, online is cheaper but there's a risk of spillage during transit. 5w30 is a very popular grade and I prefer to source it locally.

Quote:
Choices are:

-Shell Helix HX8
-Idemitsu IFD 5
-Motul Eco Tech Plus
-Castrol Magnatec Start Stop

or should I be looking at something else?
Personally I'm not too finicky about brands and decide as per availability but Shell, Mobil and Castrol are among the good brands. I've used Shell Helix HX8 in the past and would definitely recommend it.

Quote:
Had changed the coolant recently at Shell. The chap drained out the old coolant and put in 4 liters of Shell coolant but didn't mix any distilled water. Is that problem?
Unless it is a pre-mix coolant, distilled water has to be mixed.

Quote:
Also is it a good idea to get the car serviced at the authorized service center and is the extra cost worth it or should I get the car serviced at the local mechanic who comes with high recommendations and whom I have gone to before for small work before going on long drives and am pretty happy with.
It depends on the car and its usage. My car goes for service every six months. At MASS, service cost comes to ~5k bucks for a visit while at FNG it is 50% of that (with a cheaper engine oil of course). So FNG makes more sense for me but they do cut corners to bring down cost.

If you've maintained the car at MASS for all these years, it's better to continue with them as your running is also on the lower side. If not, there's no harm in trying out a local garage. Swift is a fairly simple car for local mechanics to work on.
Old 31st March 2023, 20:21   #2939
BHPian

Quote:
I've used Shell Helix HX8 in the past and would definitely recommend it.
Thanks, I have ordered 3.5 litres of Shell Helix HX8 on Amazon - for Rs. 2150/-. This oil is no longer sold in the Shell bunks. Only Helix Ultra fully synth is available. Any reason why HX8 is no longer sold?

Quote:
Unless it is a pre-mix coolant, distilled water has to be mixed.
The Shell coolant is pre-mixed, its written on the label at the back.

Quote:
It depends on the car and its usage. My car goes for service every six months. At MASS, service cost comes to ~5k bucks for a visit while at FNG it is 50% of that (with a cheaper engine oil of course). So FNG makes more sense for me but they do cut corners to bring down cost.

If you've maintained the car at MASS for all these years, it's better to continue with them as your running is also on the lower side. If not, there's no harm in trying out a local garage. Swift is a fairly simple car for local mechanics to work on.
So I took it to the Mandovi MASS where the car was bought and serviced until recently. The service assessment guy said only oil change was required and they charge 2.2k for labour regardless of the work carried out.

I also wanted them to assess a creaking sound coming from the right side suspension (front or rear not sure), the MASS guy said it's the bush in the rear axel that is worn out and this is a known issue with this model and they used to change it under warranty. For them to fix this on my car however it will cost me 12k because they don't just change the bushes, they change the entire rear axle apparently. Even suggested that I get just the bushes changed outside for a lot cheaper.

So I went to the FNG and the first thing they noticed was that the rear brake lights weren't working - got that fixed, next took the car for a spin and suggested that I get the wheels balanced and aligned. He checked front left and right suspension bushes and said they are fine. Said that the wheel alignment folks would check if there is any issue with the suspension.

So I got the wheels balanced and aligned, and they said its all fine but the creaking sound can still be heard while taking speed breakers slowly. Any idea what the issue could be?

Last edited by Sheel : 1st April 2023 at 11:29. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed. Thanks.
Old 1st April 2023, 11:25   #2940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie View Post
Thanks, I have ordered 3.5 litres of Shell Helix HX8 on Amazon - for Rs. 2150/-. This oil is no longer sold in the Shell bunks. Only Helix Ultra fully synth is available. Any reason why HX8 is no longer sold?
Yes I heard they've discontinued it but stocks are available with distributors and retailers.

Quote:
So I got the wheels balanced and aligned, and they said its all fine but the creaking sound can still be heard while taking speed breakers slowly. Any idea what the issue could be?
If suspension is fine, try moving the back and base of each seat vigorously. Also check the parcel tray while you're at it. I have the same car and there are squeaks time and again from the rear seats due to broken plastic locks/clips that attach it to the floor.

If the seats are also fine, you might consider getting the brakes checked and cleaned.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks