Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2011, 17:12   #496
BHPian

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
5k done already on a new swift? Thats some monthly running your relative has!

Was it a diesel/ petrol? Was the any improvement in driveability post first service?
yep, they take take atleast one long drive every week, its petrol. I'm not sure of the first service but the k motor was super silent. I got so high with my new Punto and clocked almost 5k in the first month and did my first service at 5600km.
Old 26th November 2011, 18:09   #497
BHPian

Have enquired about my booked New Swift & as per him they're currently delivering Swift ZDis' to December2010 bookings & VDi to Feb2011 orders.

So, my July2011 booking will expected to be delivered by 2012 March-end or April-beginning.
Almost 10 months of waiting period. I'm expecting another price rise before I get the delivery of my car.
Old 26th November 2011, 18:56   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyworld View Post
I do no agree with this. ZDI in Bangalore costs 8 Lacs On Road. Within that price point, you can buy Jazz, Punto (90 HP diesel), Beat (Diesel), Fabia.

Some of these cars are cheaper than Swift but offer superior build quality than Swift. IMHO, Rattles are inexcusable at this price point and customers have every right to complain.

If I am spending 8 Lacs for a hatch, high build quality is something I would presuppose. Heck, if you add another 50K , you can buy Sunny and City (base model) which takes the build quality to the next level.
I second that. when i was looking for my replacement for swift, the new swift was not even considered and a test drive confirmed that. I wanted my car to have better rear bench comfort, better build quality and moreover i didn't want my family to complain about how tiresome the trip was.

It used to irritates me to the core on uneven roads . Service center retards pasted few small pieces of sponge in all doors called door damping and billed 400 each, still it rattled. I totally agree Swift is a handler but you should be listening to music or exhaust note when driving spirited not the rattles.
Old 26th November 2011, 18:58   #499
BHPian

Quote:
I do no agree with this. ZDI in Bangalore costs 8 Lacs On Road. Within that price point, you can buy Jazz, Punto (90 HP diesel), Beat (Diesel), Fabia.

Some of these cars are cheaper than Swift but offer superior build quality than Swift. IMHO, Rattles are inexcusable at this price point and customers have every right to complain.

If I am spending 8 Lacs for a hatch, high build quality is something I would presuppose. Heck, if you add another 50K , you can buy Sunny and City (base model) which takes the build quality to the next level.
Obviously we aren't comparing equivalent cars here.
Jazz being a Petrol car should be compared to equivalent Petrol version of Swift which costs lot cheaper.

Punto (90HP) has its own share of quality blips like quality of plastics and fit/finish. Swift has got its plastics better fitted and uniformly better quality.

Beat Diesel is clearly a segment lower, though I agree to the fact that it has got good build quality inside out.

Fabia diesel, I am sure not too many people will opt for this car ahead of Swift ZDi at 8 lakhs.

I accept the fact that Swift is priced on the higher side but people are ready to pay the premium for some reason or other. The overall package matters
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 19:11   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Obviously we aren't comparing equivalent cars here.
Jazz being a Petrol car should be compared to equivalent Petrol version of Swift which costs lot cheaper.

Punto (90HP) has its own share of quality blips like quality of plastics and fit/finish. Swift has got its plastics better fitted and uniformly better quality.

Beat Diesel is clearly a segment lower, though I agree to the fact that it has got good build quality inside out.

Fabia diesel, I am sure not too many people will opt for this car ahead of Swift ZDi at 8 lakhs.
I thought we were ONLY comparing build quality at a specific price point. You can compare the Jazz base version with Swift zxi. There is a daylight difference between the build quality and only minor difference in the price.

Again, I mentioned Beat Diesel & Fabia just to underline my point that a good build quality is possible at price points much lower that what Swift retails at.
I am not comparing engines at all.

Quote:
I accept the fact that Swift is priced on the higher side but people are ready to pay the premium for some reason or other. The overall package matters
People are ready to pay premium for Swift because of the Maruti badge & peace of mind. In any case, once the fizzle of new Swift dies down, I expect ZDI not to sell in large numbers (unless there is a price correction).
Old 26th November 2011, 20:16   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Compare apples to apples. Jazz is a petrol car, so makes no sense comparing it with a diesel car at about 40k more than the Jazz X. Punto has an entire thread dedicated to niggles, leave alone the A** or resale.

FYI, i've heard rattles in Octavia's, Laura's and Civics. So at 8 lakh price point rattles are not inexcusable really. Whether your car rattles or not, apart form the build quality, is hugely dependent on what kind of roads you drive, and how it is driven on such roads.

If build quality is the sole criterion, i would be looking at Polo or Fabia,not the Swift.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 20:30   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Disagree. Please dont think that swift's parts oozing quality, check for the window switches and the other plastics and come back and take a look at Punto.

Door inside handle broken by a lean friend of mine twice.
Door window switches went in so many times on all doors and i see the same switches in the new swift. I have opened both the cars door panels and i know for sure which one has the better quality.
which one will you say the quality, the rattling interior or the silent one?

I am not too sure about the initial punto but whatever i have has better quality than the swift. Of course Punto has its own niggles but not the things I'm discussing here.

I don't know, I loved swift(on smoother roads) but after Punto i started hating it. IMHO its not worth the price.
Old 26th November 2011, 20:57   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Compare apples to apples. Jazz is a petrol car, so makes no sense comparing it with a diesel car at about 40k more than the Jazz X. Punto has an entire thread dedicated to niggles, leave alone the A** or resale.
I am sorry when we are comparing build quality, where does the point of Petrol or Diesel come in. You can compare the Swift Zxi with Jazz Base model (more equal in terms of price). My argument still stands.

Quote:
FYI, i've heard rattles in Octavia's, Laura's and Civics. So at 8 lakh price point rattles are not inexcusable really. Whether your car rattles or not, apart form the build quality, is hugely dependent on what kind of roads you drive, and how it is driven on such roads.

If build quality is the sole criterion, i would be looking at Polo or Fabia,not the Swift.
I am not saying they are inexcusable. I am saying customers have a right to complain and expect better. I would NOT be happy if my Laura or Civic rattles at that price point.
Old 26th November 2011, 21:46   #504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sorry when we are comparing build quality, where does the point of Petrol or Diesel come in. You can compare the Swift Zxi with Jazz Base model (more equal in terms of price). My argument still stands.
Jazz has better quality of plastics over the Swift, but is no segment leader when it come to build quality. Polo and Fabia are leagues ahead.

Customers have a right to complain, yes. But show me one person who'd buy a Swift because it has excellent build quality, and i'll accept what you say. People pick up a Swift due to many reasons and i won't get into it, what i'm sure about is build quality is NOT one of them, so i don't see any reason why customers would be complaining knowing they didn't have build quality as there No.1 priority.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 26th November 2011 at 21:48.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 22:20   #505
BHPian

Quote:
I thought we were ONLY comparing build quality at a specific price point. You can compare the Jazz base version with Swift zxi. There is a daylight difference between the build quality and only minor difference in the price.

Again, I mentioned Beat Diesel & Fabia just to underline my point that a good build quality is possible at price points much lower that what Swift retails at.
I am not comparing engines at all.

People are ready to pay premium for Swift because of the Maruti badge & peace of mind. In any case, once the fizzle of new Swift dies down, I expect ZDI not to sell in large numbers (unless there is a price correction).
There will always be some areas where a manufacturer will use the knife.
Every car has got areas where it excels,does moderately well and some weak points.
When you spend 8 lakhs, you have to prioritise your requirements.
Swift D comes with a stellar engine,good suspension and acceptable build quality.

Fabia D has got a great build quality,good suspension and average engine.

I guess you got my point. For 8 lakhs you have some points to compromise.

Having said that, I still maintain swift's build is par for the course. It is NOT like Jazz is far ahead. Honda is better but Swift is decent as well. More importantly it has improved over the previous version.

Brand and peace of mind aren't the only reason why Swift is the top selling car. Probably it gives you the best possible compromise that appeals most.
Old 26th November 2011, 22:33   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Jazz has better quality of plastics over the Swift, but is no segment leader when it come to build quality. Polo and Fabia are leagues ahead.

Customers have a right to complain, yes. But show me one person who'd buy a Swift because it has excellent build quality, and i'll accept what you say. People pick up a Swift due to many reasons and i won't get into it, what i'm sure about is build quality is NOT one of them, so i don't see any reason why customers would be complaining knowing they didn't have build quality as there No.1 priority.
They wouldn't have earlier but if I bought ZDI (which retails at 8 OTR in BLR), I would been pretty peeved if it rattled. That is my point.

People might not have complained earlier (thought I know a lot of people who do) but now they might and should

Last edited by sunnyworld : 26th November 2011 at 22:34. Reason: added final remarks
Old 26th November 2011, 23:10   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They wouldn't have earlier but if I bought ZDI (which retails at 8 OTR in BLR), I would been pretty peeved if it rattled. That is my point.

People might not have complained earlier (thought I know a lot of people who do) but now they might and should
Sunny, like i said before if build quality is SO important to you, it makes sense to look at Polo or Fabia. Build quality is OK in the Swift, if your unhappy with it, you certainly can chose the best options like Polo, Fabia or Punto.

Thanks for the suggestion for prospective owners of Swift ZDI, however sadly reality is a little different my friend. Members like Racer X, Beejay who paid for the ZDI or Moralfibre who bought the VDI are very satisfied with the build quality as can be seen from their ownership reports. I haven't come across any new owners of VDI/ZDI complaining of build quality yet. A forum like our's can only echo the opinion of the general public right ?

Point is, these people never had build quality as one of thier top priorities when they bought the Swift.
Old 26th November 2011, 23:22   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Sunny, like i said before if build quality is SO important to you, it makes sense to look at Polo or Fabia. Build quality is OK in the Swift, if your unhappy with it, you certainly can chose the best options like Polo, Fabia or Punto.

Thanks for the suggestion for prospective owners of Swift ZDI, however sadly reality is a little different my friend. Members like Racer X, Beejay who paid for the ZDI or Moralfibre who bought the VDI are very satisfied with the build quality as can be seen from their ownership reports. I haven't come across any new owners of VDI/ZDI complaining of build quality yet. A forum like our's can only echo the opinion of the general public right ?

Point is, these people never had build quality as one of thier top priorities when they bought the Swift.
and I am very happy for them. However, its a little early to really guess the build quality of Swift, don't you think?

The discussion on hand was just about build quality and therefore my argument. Lot of people buy cars for a period of 5-7 years and for those people (I count myself among them) Swift isn't VFM. No offence to anyone just my opinion. My two cents on this
Old 26th November 2011, 23:43   #509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and I am very happy for them. However, its a little early to really guess the build quality of Swift, don't you think?
Not too early my friend. The previous gen Swift used to rattle (or so i believe) in a few months or with less than 5k on the odo. The new Swift has held up good until 5k now, so it means the build quality is much better.

Quote:
The discussion on hand was just about build quality and therefore my argument. Lot of people buy cars for a period of 5-7 years and for those people (I count myself among them) Swift isn't VFM. No offence to anyone just my opinion. My two cents on this
I'm not trying to defend the Swift furiously or anything, it has its own flaws,but would like to know the logic behind calling a Swift if used for 5-7 years as no VFM product. Is it like VFM=Car not rattling after 5-7 years ?
Old 27th November 2011, 00:43   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Not too early my friend. The previous gen Swift used to rattle (or so i believe) in a few months or with less than 5k on the odo. The new Swift has held up good until 5k now, so it means the build quality is much better.

I'm not trying to defend the Swift furiously or anything, it has its own flaws,but would like to know the logic behind calling a Swift if used for 5-7 years as no VFM product. Is it like VFM=Car not rattling after 5-7 years ?
You got me all wrong here. Swift isn't VFM (at ZDI price levels) for a lot of reasons . Build quality is one of them.

At the price point of ZDI, I should expect a rattle free experience for atleast 5 years. Besides, I am not trying to defame Swift also. It has a remarkable engine for its category.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks