Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2012, 08:59   #886
BHPian

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Those buying on a company lease? Or certain "MNC" employees alone ?
It is employees of corporate companies and not just company lease.
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 09:13   #887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nri199
I got my first service of my Zdi done and I wanted to check the FE. I was shocked to get an FE of just 15! And that too with just about 40% AC . I used the full tank method to measure the FE. It was about 30 % highway driving and 70% city driving. I do understand that FE depends on the driving style (mine is neither sedate nor spirited, somewhere in bet). Is this not too low for the new Swift diesel, whatever the driving style?
Well even my friend's new swift LDI (modified to VDI) is not giving mileage above 16.5 kmpl without AC. May be the car's still in its run-in period.

By the way can you please tell us how much you were charged for first service and what was the breakup of the same?

SPECTRA motors (Thane) is claiming that as per the new circular from maruti, they can now only use synthetic oil and on that basis the charges for first service will be close to 4500 rupees...

I find it to be too much. Guys whats your take? Next oil change at 10,000kms.
Old 16th February 2012, 09:18   #888
BHPian

I know that the entire DMS (dealer management system) of Maruti is outsourced to Wipro. Might be a priority based on this relation. Only time (2 more months) will tell
Old 16th February 2012, 09:27   #889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nri199 View Post
I got my first service of my Zdi done and I wanted to check the FE. I was shocked to get an FE of just 15! And that too with just about 40% AC . I used the full tank method to measure the FE. It was about 30 % highway driving and 70% city driving. I do understand that FE depends on the driving style (mine is neither sedate nor spirited, somewhere in bet). Is this not too low for the new Swift diesel, whatever the driving style?
You really think it is low? I can imagine Bangalore traffic being as bad as Mumbai's. 15 kpl in such situations for a relatively new car is not bad IMO. I was getting 15 kpl as per MID before 1st service. That has jumped up to 17-17.5 kpl now. I expect the MID to have some error, so 15-16 kpl is what I would eventually get based on manual tank-to-tank calculations. Coming from a petrol car, I am quite satisfied with these numbers. A recent highway run at speeds of 80-100 kph on a 600 km drive got me an FE of 21 kpl. This was prior to the first service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh_Malhotra View Post

By the way can you please tell us how much you were charged for first service and what was the breakup of the same?

SPECTRA motors (Thane) is claiming that as per the new circular from maruti, they can now only use synthetic oil and on that basis the charges for first service will be close to 4500 rupees...

I find it to be too much. Guys whats your take? Next oil change at 10,000kms.
850 Rs is what you should be charged for normal oil change. If you insist on oil filter change (I did), you can add around 300 Rs more.

Changing to synthetic oil in such a new car is not advisable. I can't believe Maruti issued a circular recommending synthetic oil at first change. Can your dealer show you this circular? The dealer maybe taking you for a ride.
Old 16th February 2012, 09:36   #890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict

850 Rs is what you should be charged for normal oil change. If you insist on oil filter change (I did), you can add around 300 Rs more.

Changing to synthetic oil in such a new car is not advisable. I can't believe Maruti issued a circular recommending synthetic oil at first change. Can your dealer show you this circular? The dealer maybe taking you for a ride.
Not only SPECTRA Motors (Thane) but also SK Wheels (Navi Mumbai) came up with the same figures (4.5k) suggesting that they only use synthetic oil as recommended by new circular issued from maruti's side.

Again the oil has to change after 10k kms and same figure will be charged.

At 20k kms it will be 4500 + labour + other parts charge = 6.5K.

Suddenly i find maruti loosing out on the low maintainance tag.

Figo's maintanance till now 27k kmw old:
1st service 1200
2nd service 1200
3rd service 2500
4th service (due soon) ...
Old 16th February 2012, 09:45   #891
BHPian

Quote:
Not only SPECTRA Motors (Thane) but also SK Wheels (Navi Mumbai) came up with the same figures (4.5k) suggesting that they only use synthetic oil as recommended by new circular issued from maruti's side.
This is ridiculous. I see this as a money making racket. My service station gave me the option of synthetic but did not say it is mandatory. Best is to call MUL directly on 1-800-1800-180 and have your doubts cleared.
Old 16th February 2012, 10:05   #892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh_Malhotra
SPECTRA motors (Thane) is claiming that as per the new circular from maruti, they can now only use synthetic oil and on that basis the charges for first service will be close to 4500 rupees.
Do they flush the engine before switching to synthetic oil?

And switching to synthetic oil before the running in period gets over is a bad idea as it prevents the proper running in, thanks to the high lubricating priorities of synthetic oil.
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 10:06   #893
BHPian

What is the point of using synthetic oil if it has to be drained in every 6 months (as per the service schedule ) ?
The prime reason why Fiat and VW cars have service interval of 1 year is because of usage of synthetic engine oil which can comfortably cross 12000 or more kms on a single run.

Now Rs 5000+ per service means Rs 10000+ per year. Now where is the difference between Swift's and Polo's service cost?
Old 16th February 2012, 12:08   #894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
50% of my saily commute of 35 km is bumper to bumper and wait at signals. I switch off the engine at signals. Even wioth bumper to bumper traffic, it seems a very low FE for a diesel.
Relax. There is nothing wrong with your car. I would say the FE is quite good for a brand new engine and the kind of traffic that you encounter. And it is bound to increase and will stabilize after the 3rd service @ 10K.

Quote:
Regarding oil- they do change at the first servie for the diesel swifts. I was asked if I wanted synthetic oil- was not sure I should go for that, so refused. Any thoughts on that?
As others have rightly pointed out, don't go synthetic till you cross 10K KM.

I will continue with mineral oil even after 10K KM. Because 1) synthetic oil is very costly, approx. 3X the price and 2) I would prefer to put fresh mineral oil at every 5K KM rather than run synthetic for 10K KM.

Changing the synthetic every 5K KM doesn't make economic sense to me. And our city driving conditions are quite harsh. The engine will thank you for fresh oil every 5K.
Old 16th February 2012, 13:41   #895
BHPian

My friend did his first service at Maruti service masters Chennai for his ZDI and he too was told about the circular from Maruti to use Synthetic oil for Swifts with VIN beyond a certain value.
Old 16th February 2012, 13:59   #896
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was asked if I wanted synthetic oil- was not sure I should go for that, so refused. Any thoughts on that?
Not required unless you want to spend almost 3-4 times more for some better refinement. IMO, please stick to mineral oil the entire life & change it every 10K kms [as usual] or every 5K kms if you LOVE your car too much!

Quote:
Have you asked them to share the circular? Previous gen Swifts came with mineral oil, now I don't see a Maruti, which is known for low service costs, will use synthetic oil in their engines from factory! So don't fall for it - you car is good with mineral oil.

Quote:
Again the oil has to change after 10k kms and same figure will be charged.

At 20k kms it will be 4500 + labour + other parts charge = 6.5K.

Suddenly i find maruti loosing out on the low maintainance tag.
Your calculation still shows the low maintenance. Add 3000/- extra [for synthetic oil] to those bills that you mentioned which will take the servicing costs of a swift to Polo/Vento levels. Now if a customer is ready to pay that much for a Maruti, why don't they get a better brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
My friend did his first service at Maruti service masters Chennai for his ZDI and he too was told about the circular from Maruti to use Synthetic oil for Swifts with VIN beyond a certain value.
What is the reason they are providing for the use of synthetic oil?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 16th February 2012 at 14:04. Reason: Adding the last quote
Old 16th February 2012, 14:50   #897
BHPian

Quote:
The answer is the circular attached in the post below. I am surprised at this move by maruti to mandate a fully synthetic oil for swift with FGT, that too with 10k km oil change interval. New swift owners should expect the service costs to go up by ~3k for every oil change service.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2680931

EDIT - this most likely will apply to the new Dzire as well.

Last edited by amit1234singla : 16th February 2012 at 15:08.
amit1234singla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 15:20   #898
BHPian

Quote:
It seems the car comes with mineral oil from the factory and the service centers have been asked to change to synthetic at 1k for new Swifts. I suggested my friend to refuse the synthetic but they forced it upon him citing the circular from Maruti, with no specific reason. The next oil changed for him is at 10k.

BTW, my dealer told me to expect a letter from Maruti in the couple of days that will indicate delays in delivery of all diesel models. I had booked my car on 9th Jan with the dealer promising me delivery with 4 months but a week later called me to to expect allotment on 1st Feb based on prioritization for people working with corporate MNCs.
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 16:47   #899
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
The answer is the circular attached in the post below. I am surprised at this move by maruti to mandate a fully synthetic oil for swift with FGT, that too with 10k km oil change interval. New swift owners should expect the service costs to go up by ~3k for every oil change service.
EDIT - this most likely will apply to the new Dzire as well.
What is the intention behind this? Just to cover all the losses they had due to the strike? I believe this move is going to cost Maruti MUCH! Swift was never that cheap to service, it just got worser! And the service interval is going to stay the same!! B-A-D !

And with this, Maruti just gave one more instance for the A$$ to fleece the customer of money. Am sure, citing this circular, many A$$ are going to force customers to shifting to synthetic oil. Crazy!
Old 16th February 2012, 17:42   #900
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys,

Whats the current waiting times for Swift Zdi if i book now ???

i am thinking of booking it in Delhi NCR, any pointers or preferred dealers ??

thanks in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks