Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2012, 13:29   #961

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
I had this complained during delivery, 1st service and 2nd service. was never fixed. Escalated and spoke to GM of service and the vehicle will be taken on Monday for the same reason.
Ok. Do let me know what they say? BTW, I see you are from Banglaore. Where are you getting the car serviced?
Old 26th February 2012, 16:56   #962
BHPian

went on another TD of the swift diesel to try and make up my mind over the jazz vs swift zdi debate.

Love the way the car drove yet again! but the SA is now quoting 50 weeks.. yes 50 weeks of waiting for the Zdi. he was hell bent on pushing me for a vdi or the vxi.
Old 26th February 2012, 17:37   #963
BHPian

Production of VDI is more. Everywhere ZDI is having highest waiting period. As discussed previously maruti is not much interested in selling ZDI.
Old 26th February 2012, 17:43   #964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Given the driving conditions in India, changing the oil after every 10K km interval is not such a bad idea. 15K km interval IMO is over optimistic and is used as a selling tactic especially by the VW and Fiat guys to show lower maintenance costs. For mineral oil, interval of 5 to 7.5K seems to make sense rather than 10K. Again, these numbers could vary depending on driving conditions in your city.
15K interval is optimistic!? Semi-Synthetic oils from Ford had a service cycle of 10K KMs, Am I sitting with a broken down engine in my garage!?

The Manufacturers have done better homework before they recommend the oil change intervals!

Quote:
They should not make this mandatory. It is uncalled for.
Just one of those cheap tricks Maruti has been doing with the Swift to rip off their loyal lot of customers.

Quote:
I am sure you won't feel the change even if you change the oil after 20K km. I would check the colour of the oil after say 5-7.5K km (for normal oil) and then take a call. For synthetic, I would stretch that to 10K km. The longevity of the engine is what improves with a shorter interval for the oil change. Short term benefits or ill effects will not be tangible even if you change or not change the oil after the short interval I mentioned above.
What change can one feel otherwise?
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 20:41   #965
BHPian

I feel Maruti should offer an additional model for Swift/Dzire : VDi/VXi + 185 section tyres and ABS.
Ofcourse brakes should be upgraded in all models.

There is a big gap between V and Z variant IMO.

Just like i20 has got a sportz model between Magna and Asta model
Old 26th February 2012, 22:55   #966
BHPian

Hello friends, I have a dec. 2011 zdi with upgraded tyres, but still am not satisfied with the braking performance . My 2006 swift zxi has better braking, & also feels more direct. So guys , please tell me whether i should get it inspected as somewhere in the forum it was mentioned that newer batches have better brakes. Have they changed/upgraded any component like the booster? Please give your opinion, thanks in advance..
Old 26th February 2012, 23:52   #967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nri199 View Post
Ok. Do let me know what they say? BTW, I see you are from Banglaore. Where are you getting the car serviced?
Bought from Pratham Queens road. So getting it serviced in pratham itself.
Old 27th February 2012, 13:08   #968
BHPian

I am in the dilemma of choosing car between Swift ZDI / Dzire ZDI / Polo 1.2 Highline.

Just to put in a better perspective why these cars as options only is because I am looking for a car through company lease plan and the options within my budget would be possible for these only.

Just to let you know I own a swift VDI which has done 60k now after 4 years of ownership. This car I possibly will sell or keep in the family after some months.

What do you guys suggest me to go for considering following:

- I want out and out drivers car
- I want decent space better than my existing swift
- should offer good space in the rear for three passengers.
- the car being leased I would not like to invest extra in the car to add accessories so should give the most out of the standard car.

Thanks to help me make my decision as I have to finalise on one in 2 weeks time to book through lease plan.
Old 27th February 2012, 13:25   #969
BHPian

Well, it depends is your employer giving you an option? OR is it your own company. I ask this because then resale/long term usage is less valuable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhdadhichi View Post
I am in the dilemma of choosing car between Swift ZDI / Dzire ZDI / Polo 1.2 Highline.
The new swift is an amazing package, but as rightly pointed out by you is very cramped and feels claustrophobic. In that matter the Dzire Zdi may be the right choice because it has decent road manners and will feel if not anything else an upgrade to your current ride.

The Ddis is anyway a better choice than that crappy 3 pot which VW uncannily charges a premium for...

Quote:
Thanks to help me make my decision as I have to finalise on one in 2 weeks time to book through lease plan.
Its your call at the end of it but the swift family definitely has the FTD factor that the Polo D lacks, choose wisely!

Last edited by Furebo : 27th February 2012 at 13:27.
Furebo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 16:21   #970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Huh! Then how do you justify Maruti for making customer change the oil at 10k irrespective of whether the oil is mineral or synthetic? Your remarks makes me feel that Maruti were pushing the interval of mineral oil too far so as to make the maintenance costs lower.

Does the Maruti Swift use semi-synthetic or fully synthetic oil? AFAIK, VW & FIAT uses semi-synthetic oil.
Not just Maruti, doesn't every manufacturer push the limits for oil change? Which manufacturer will want to show a 5K km oil change interval when others recommend 10 or 15K? Ideally, they need to recommend different intervals for mineral/synthetic oils. Does anyone do that? Not that I know of. To alleviate my concerns, I would check oil colour periodically and then take a call. For a newer engine, the interval would be shorter - precisely why synthetic oil in a new car is not always recommended. As you clock more kms, the interval can be longer.

I suspect Maruti uses semi-synthetic. I am guessing based on the price they are asking for the oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
15K interval is optimistic!? Semi-Synthetic oils from Ford had a service cycle of 10K KMs, Am I sitting with a broken down engine in my garage!?

The Manufacturers have done better homework before they recommend the oil change intervals!
We can debate on the oil change interval forever. It all depends on driving conditions in your city. 10K km interval is perfectly fine in a cleaner environment and moderate traffic conditions which are less harsh on the engine. I would not use that as reference across the board. To cite my experience, I have noticed oil colour turning black around the 7.5K mark in my earlier petrol car even on fully synthetic oil (Mobil 1- 5W50). I can always follow manufacturer's guidelines and carry on till 10K/15K km. No worries, the engine is not going to break down. I would be more concerned about engine performance/life in the longer run.

Quote:

What change can one feel otherwise?
Smoother engine, lower NVH and a marginal rise in FE. Some might say this is just psychological.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush78 View Post
Hello friends, I have a dec. 2011 zdi with upgraded tyres, but still am not satisfied with the braking performance . My 2006 swift zxi has better braking, & also feels more direct.
What are the tyre specs you are running on? I too have the ZDi with 195/60 tyres and compared to my earlier ZXi, the brakes feel on par. I won't say they are better but they aren't bad either.

Quote:
If you are considering the Polo, why not the 1.6 Highline - petrol? The 1.2 TDi will be a disappointment after you have driven the Swift VDi all these years.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th February 2012 at 20:02. Reason: fixed quote tags
Old 27th February 2012, 22:38   #971
BHPian

@ fuel addict , i am running michelin primacy LC 195/60/R15 with 32/30 F/R & what i feel is that driving the zdi back to back with my old zxi petrol the brakes are kind of spongy & not as direct as in the older car. Also the pushing effort is more than the zxi
Old 28th February 2012, 08:08   #972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not just Maruti, doesn't every manufacturer push the limits for oil change? Which manufacturer will want to show a 5K km oil change interval when others recommend 10 or 15K? Ideally, they need to recommend different intervals for mineral/synthetic oils. Does anyone do that? Not that I know of. To alleviate my concerns, I would check oil colour periodically and then take a call. For a newer engine, the interval would be shorter - precisely why synthetic oil in a new car is not always recommended. As you clock more kms, the interval can be longer.
Push the limits is just the wrong word to use here mate! All manufacturers have tested their engines long enough to suit our Indian conditions and the 15K interval that you see is recommended. Just to clear your perception, follow the threads of Ford/Fiat/VW cars and you will not find anyone complaining about losing performance.

Quote:
We can debate on the oil change interval forever. It all depends on driving conditions in your city. 10K km interval is perfectly fine in a cleaner environment and moderate traffic conditions which are less harsh on the engine. I would not use that as reference across the board. To cite my experience, I have noticed oil colour turning black around the 7.5K mark in my earlier petrol car even on fully synthetic oil (Mobil 1- 5W50). I can always follow manufacturer's guidelines and carry on till 10K/15K km. No worries, the engine is not going to break down. I would be more concerned about engine performance/life in the longer run.
There is nothing to debate! Oil change as suggested by Manufacturer is the best way forward. I am sure its not going to break the performance/life or at worse breakdown the engine!

Quote:
Smoother engine, lower NVH and a marginal rise in FE. Some might say this is just psychological.
Like you said, its a psychological thing!
Old 28th February 2012, 09:46   #973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush78 View Post
@ fuel addict , i am running michelin primacy LC 195/60/R15 with 32/30 F/R & what i feel is that driving the zdi back to back with my old zxi petrol the brakes are kind of spongy & not as direct as in the older car. Also the pushing effort is more than the zxi
Could be three reasons for this:

1) Higher torque generated by the diesel engine needing more input on the brakes.
2) The kerb weight of the ZDi (even with the weight reduction in the new Swifts) is still higher than the older ZXi. I would imagine the brake booster used in both variants is the same.
3) The ABS unit in the new Swift is supposed to be different (smaller?) than the ones used in the previous gen. cars. You aren't using ABS all the time while braking but this could still have some effect.

I don't have my ZXi anymore, so I can't compare back to back. If you contact MUL and get some positive feedback, please do share it with all of us.

Quote:
Push the limits is just the wrong word to use here mate! All manufacturers have tested their engines long enough to suit our Indian conditions and the 15K interval that you see is recommended. Just to clear your perception, follow the threads of Ford/Fiat/VW cars and you will not find anyone complaining about losing performance.
Really? Has VW done enough testing in Indian conditions? Why are many VW owners complaining about oil levels dropping in their cars then? I dread to think how much oil would be left after 15K km at that rate.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 28th February 2012 at 09:48.
Old 28th February 2012, 09:52   #974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Really? Has VW done enough testing in Indian conditions? Why are many VW owners complaining about oil levels dropping in their cars then? I dread to think how much oil would be left after 15K km at that rate.
The VAG TDi is prone to drinking more oil during the initial run-in days! Thats however is not the case with the Fiat MJDs.
Old 28th February 2012, 19:05   #975
Senior - BHPian

Agree to what anachronix says. It is mentioned so in the ownership manual too. But isnt restricted only to VW, I have heard many new cars reporting engine oil loss during the initial run in period.

That aside, do we actually know why the new engines (post the cut off VIN) require synthetic oil in the first place? What changed to warrant this? Maruti is not asking the old customers of 2nd gen swift which came with mineral oil to change to synthetic, which indicates something has changed with these new batch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks