Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2012, 19:05   #1111
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

I had a very similar experience with my old swift and the reason was that there there were some leaves that were stuck underneath the car where the A/C re-circulation flap was located. Once the re-circulation was switched off and on - the noise just vanished!

I'm not implying that your's will be the same issue, but from the description it looks very similar and hence thought of sharing with you. Dont think its a cause for worry, relax and enjoy your car. If it is going to show itself up again, then you can think of consulting the service station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
Yesterday after the car was in the bright hot direct sun of Pune from morning till about 2 in the afternoon, when I got into the car & switched on the ac, there was a whirring sound from the left hand side vent area like that of an old laptop fan or that hand held fan which was real irritating at low speeds & even after i increased the speed of the fan/ac it still remained through out the about hour long drive.
It didn't happen in any of the later drives that day nor during the drive from Pune back to Mumbai. Anyone know the reason for such a sound? Should i get it checked immediately or wait for the 5k service?
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 23:28   #1112
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone clocked 10K+ kms on the new Swift/Dzire? How is the interiors holding up? Any rattles so far ?
Old 3rd April 2012, 00:06   #1113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Has anyone clocked 10K+ kms on the new Swift/Dzire? How is the interiors holding up? Any rattles so far ?
I dont think any one would have crossed 10K within 30 odd days. I have crossed 3.5K and so far the interiors are holding up well. I had gone for a long trip and driven over mediocre roads for around 500 Kms and so far no rattles have set in.
Old 3rd April 2012, 00:14   #1114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_1982 View Post
I dont think any one would have crossed 10K within 30 odd days. I have crossed 3.5K and so far the interiors are holding up well. I had gone for a long trip and driven over mediocre roads for around 500 Kms and so far no rattles have set in.
Thanks.

The question was for both Swift & Dzire. And there should be a handful of Swifts which would have done 10K+ kms by now since it was launched in Aug-Sep 2011. I agree with you on the Dzire part though!
Old 3rd April 2012, 11:03   #1115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I had a very similar experience with my old swift and the reason was that there there were some leaves that were stuck underneath the car where the A/C re-circulation flap was located. Once the re-circulation was switched off and on - the noise just vanished!

I'm not implying that your's will be the same issue, but from the description it looks very similar and hence thought of sharing with you. Dont think its a cause for worry, relax and enjoy your car. If it is going to show itself up again, then you can think of consulting the service station.
Yeah that past week i had parked my car under some trees & had loadsa leaves & dust on the car along with tiny branches. Guess, that must be the exact reason. Hasn't happened since. Did you also hear the sound from towards the left side of the car?
Old 3rd April 2012, 11:14   #1116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Crossed 16,500 kms and there are no rattles in my car. In fact I am impressed with the quality. There was a minor rattle with the door pad that was fixed by tightening a screw that was left loose during ICE install.
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 16:14   #1117
BHPian

Quote:
Me too crossed 10k in 6 months,so far no rattles for me.
inder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 17:28   #1118
Senior - BHPian

Bingo! There you go. It was definitely towards the left side where the re-circulation flap is located. So no reason for worry.

P.S - Kudos to maruti for fixing the annoying rattles in the swift, my old swift started rattling out of the showroom and there are people on the forum who sold their cars since they were unable to tolerate it. I think it is safe to pass a positive judgement on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
Yeah that past week i had parked my car under some trees & had loadsa leaves & dust on the car along with tiny branches. Guess, that must be the exact reason. Hasn't happened since. Did you also hear the sound from towards the left side of the car?
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 23:49   #1119
BHPian

Quote:
Done about 9800 kms now. Hear a slight rattle sometimes near the center console around where the head unit is fitted. Most probably would be something to do with head unit fitment (its a VDI). Also, if you have bottles in the door pockets, they make a racket. Apart from these minor irritants, no rattles per se.
Freewheelin_KD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 00:12   #1120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheelin_KD View Post
Done about 9800 kms now. Hear a slight rattle sometimes near the center console around where the head unit is fitted. Most probably would be something to do with head unit fitment (its a VDI). Also, if you have bottles in the door pockets, they make a racket. Apart from these minor irritants, no rattles per se.

Congratulations for your lovely set of cars.
I saw your signature and you seem to be the owner of two fanastic diesel hatchbacks !
It would be really interesting if you can give us a comparision between i20 and swift as you must be having good idea about both the cars
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 10:41   #1121
BHPian

Quote:
My 2 months old ZDi has developed some rattles from near front passenger door and/or window glass ( can't fiqure out exactly where). I have driven on fairly good roads in and around Delhi. Have tried emptying the glove box , door pockets but the issue still persists. Rattles at around speeds from ~30-50 on slightly rough tarmacs and can be heard when the music volume is mute/low. Have clocked only 2700 kms. Any solution to this. I'm not sure if the Maruti people would be able to fix this or have any permanent solution to this.
Old 4th April 2012, 11:12   #1122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
My 2 months old ZDi has developed some rattles from near front passenger door and/or window glass ( can't fiqure out exactly where). I have driven on fairly good roads in and around Delhi. Have tried emptying the glove box , door pockets but the issue still persists. Rattles at around speeds from ~30-50 on slightly rough tarmacs and can be heard when the music volume is mute/low. Have clocked only 2700 kms. Any solution to this. I'm not sure if the Maruti people would be able to fix this or have any permanent solution to this.
Did you get your sun film installed by removing the glass from the door frames? Usually the vendors don't fix the door frame back properly and this leads to rattles.
Old 4th April 2012, 11:19   #1123
BHPian

Quote:
Did you get your sun film installed by removing the glass from the door frames? Usually the vendors don't fix the door frame back properly and this leads to rattles.
Yes the sun films were installed a week back at MASS MGA shoppe and they have done a neat job, glasses were not removed in the process only beadings and upper part of the door pad (above the silver tmims) were removed. But these rattles persisted even before this sun film job was done, even after this sun film job the rattles are exactly similar.
Old 4th April 2012, 13:13   #1124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Congratulations for your lovely set of cars.
I saw your signature and you seem to be the owner of two fanastic diesel hatchbacks !
It would be really interesting if you can give us a comparision between i20 and swift as you must be having good idea about both the cars
Hey Turbokick, thanks for the appreciation . It seems like we couldn’t decide between the two and bought both of them. However, jokes apart, we bought them because we needed two diesel cars and Maruti and Hyundai have dealers and A$$ closest to our residence. My observations on some major points:

Performance, Drivability & Handling: On paper, the i20 looks like a better performer, but in reality, the Swift is definitely more fun to drive. That doesn’t mean that the i20 is a slouch, but you tend to expect more as it is more powerful. Surprisingly, the Swift is also better when it comes to drivability in the city. It is definitely better than the earlier version. Both the cars have substantial turbo lag, but the i20 takes a longer time to wake up if you fall below 2000 rpm. The Swift starts waking up from around 1800 rpm itself. I think this is mostly due to the gearing, with the Swift being more short geared than the i20 (I have the 5 speed one). The Swift, even on those weedy tires, handles better and remains flat at high speeds. The i20, in typical Hyundai fashion, bobs up and down on less than flat surfaces at high speed and does not inspire confidence in corners. I also find the low speed ride quality of the Swift better than the i20. Surprising isn't it. Brakes are better in the i20 with awesome pedal feedback. I recall that my Accent CRDi too had direct brakes with excellent pedal feel. The mushy pedal feel of the Swift is what hits the nail in its Brakes, with it being extremely spongy and not inspiring any confidence, especially under panic braking. It did stop however, so cannot say for certain if they are weak or adequate. Strong they definitely aren't.

Refinement: The i20 is slightly more refined than the Swift. Clatter at idle is more in the i20, but once it has warmed up, you don’t notice the engine. Many people say the Swift’s engine is free revving. But when you drive it back to back with the i20, you start wondering whether the i20’s engine is petrol or what? It is definitely freer revving than the Swift. Hyundai is really out there with the best in terms of diesel engine technology is what I feel. Also, engine feel at various driver interfaces like the clutch and accelerator pedals, steering wheel is less in the i20 than the Swift. In the Swift, the engine vibrations can be felt at the clutch as it pulsates at idle and ever so slightly at the steering wheel when the turbo starts spooling (around 1800 rpm) for about a second. In the i20, the third gear is where the engine vibrations are felt most if you hold on to it while accelerating.

Maintenance & Mileage: Have had two services done in the Swift. One at 1000 kms and the other at 9500 kms. Both the services cost me around Rs. 1200 each and involved only oil and oil filter change. Two service for the i20 too but the first one isn't major as it’s just a checkup thing. The second one involved an oil and oil filter change and cost me around Rs. 1700. Mind you, all of these are free services and the real picture will be clear only when I go for paid services. I am expecting Hyundai to be more expensive than Maruti on account of their higher labour rates and expensive spare parts because they are imported. As regards to mileage, the Swift gives around 16 to 19 kmpl, tankful to tankful, depending on how you drive. If I am consistently driving over 120 kmph on the highway, I get around 16 kmpl. However, sane driving definitely yields upwards of 19 kmpl. The i20 also varies between 16 to 19 kmpl, tankful to tankful. Both the cars are driven 70% on highway and 30% in city.

Equipment, Interiors & Space: The i20 (Sportz) leads on the equipment front here but it is also a full Rs. 1 lakh more expensive than the Swift (VDi). Major grouse in both the cars is that none of them have ABS. The i20 though has a driver side airbag. Interior quality is definitely better in the i20 but, personally, not a big fan of the chocolate brown and beige combination. The centre console in matt silver looks out of place too. The Swift with its black interiors and silver/chrome highlights is definitely classier. OE seat fabric of the i20 is miles ahead as the Swift seats already have broken threads coming out. Space is at a premium in the Swift and don’t even talk about the boot space. On the other hand, the i20’s boot is as big as the one in the new Dzire (compared it recently). I am 5.10 and on the heavier side, so if I am in the driver’s seat in the Swift, a similarly built person can’t sit at the back. The back seat of the i20 is uncomfortable too in a similar situation but manageable.

This is what I could recall and put in without going completely OT. Do ask if you have any specific questions and I will be happy to answer them.
Freewheelin_KD is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 13:30   #1125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheelin_KD View Post
Hey Turbokick, thanks for the appreciation . It seems like we couldn’t decide between the two and bought both of them.
Thank you Turbokick & Freewheelin for initiating this comparison.

From the description, it looks like the Swift scores over a lot of points, save the interior trim & fit. Good to know that.
And seems, you are enjoying the best from both the cars.

cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks