Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2011, 16:55   #76
BHPian

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Great review as usual GTO. No doubt that the swift is a good car however lots of clumsy things comes packed with it. The biggest being the boot space!

One feels so claustrophobic inside, they could have seen how to widen the windows, headbanging will be frequent while getting in :-(
Old 27th September 2011, 17:19   #77
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Your review never misses even small things. I was not comfortable while releasing the clutch and my ankle hit the lower dash/console corner.
Thanks. Yup, I'm surprised at this design oversight.

Quote:
I found the Audio system is better than the Figo but no Blue tooth.
The Swift Z has the best stock audio system I remember of any hatchback. No comparo with the one in the Figo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
But, to my suprise, the Vista is missed in the comparison list even though it is sharing the same mill.
Hi Maverick, in every hatchback review, I've reiterated that it is NOT possible to include each & every competitor. Our format doesn't allow it. The ones used are those that I think will most likely be cross-shopped with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Also the brake assist they refer to is ABS i guess.
Nope, Jaggu, I am sure that isn't so. The ZXi I drove had powerful brakes all through (without the ABS kicking in).

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
handling . in Handling dept , new swift seems to have taken Punto;s head on.
Make no mistake, the Swift will leave a Punto for dead on the corners. Reason:

- Quicker steering. Much quicker.
- Lesser body roll. Much lesser.
- Noticeably quicker acceleration. And lesser turbo-lag that bogs you down too
- Quicker, smoother gearshift
- Grip levels are on par with the 185 mm rubber that our test car had. Remember, the stock Punto has even thicker tyres. A Swift with 195 tyres will outhandle any Punto out there.

If the Figo had more power, it would be the most fun on the twisties. However, as things stand today, the Swift diesel is the most fun-to-drive diesel hatchback there is on sale in India.

The two areas where the Punto maintains an edge is the rock-solid stability at high speed, and feel from the hydraulic steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
None of the engine s are as good as the previous ones. Why Maruti why?
Yup, both are tamer, though I would say that the diesel is now better (from the mass market POV). Less whoosh, and less lag. The petrol was a disappointment (and I speak as a self-confessed fan of the ol' 1.2 K Series).

Quote:
It is as tall as a tallboy. How can the handling be awesome?
Superb, superb suspension, tight chassis and w-i-d-e footprint. Drive it to believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I'm almost 6' and didnt notice either of these problems during the test drive.
Many other BHPians have also attested to the same problem on this thread itself. Of course, it's all down to your own, individual driving position at the end of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
GTO, as somebody who has test driven both the Jazz & the Swift, which is a better car?
No comparison, of course the Jazz. Better quality, more space, bigger boot and more powerful engine.

Last edited by GTO : 27th September 2011 at 17:22.
Old 27th September 2011, 17:24   #78
BHPian

Great Review to start with. GTO, thanks for the detailed report and comparisons. Would surely be of great help to all.

Coming to the new Swift (what do we call it ANS : All New Swift, just kidding), just like the outgoing model, it does have a wow factor. Amongst competition, its 'looks' will surely attract customers. And then the "S" badge will so the rest. Its quite a need design and a good car. Especially for the youth. Beat probably over did the youth factor, so Swift will be in the minds of prospective young buyers a lot. Kudos to the MSIL team for coming up with newness without loosing the original character. Wish others are listening!
Old 27th September 2011, 17:54   #79
BHPian

Excellent review GTO and team.

Couple of things I like to disagree here.

The first premium Hatchback was the Fiat Palio and not Hyundai Getz. Palio was not only more pricier in the GTX form but also had that engine beyond comparison and equivalent space and size.

The other is the term "common Anand" for obvious reasons.

Jokes apart, Swift comes across as a terrific package but a little impractical. Kindly make a small comparison with VW Polo 1.6 also since they both are priced around the same ballpark. Also, there exists no comprehensive Polo 1.6 review officially and thus this may act as one. OD mag made one in their anniversary issue but it looked far from truth and a lot biased and Swift was hailed to be next to god of cars. You may also include Punto 1.4 into the equation as well.
Old 27th September 2011, 18:06   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nope, Jaggu, I am sure that isn't so. The ZXi I drove had powerful brakes all through (without the ABS kicking in).
Ok but is this due to the ABS system being a better overall package compared to the stock booster assembly system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
However I do not think break assist is same as ABS. If you look at their site, it clearly mentions Break Assist separately from New gen. ABS with EBD. The following Spec screen shows that.
EDIT ^^^ This complicates the matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
If I could see what you are talking about. The rear seat backrest lock lever is now made of some fibre (nylon I think) cloth. I don't remember the old one but I guess it was a plastic lock right?

I always thought it was a steel tank. Are you sure about this? Since Maruti Suzuki has been stating that it is a new feature.
Not the lock, the latch where it locks. It is metal in old cars.

Am sure about the tank look underneath you will see a white fiber gas tank in Vdi, atleast my car has it/

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th September 2011 at 18:11.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2011, 18:07   #81
BHPian

Good review! Although very surprising you did not include the Honda Jazz and i20 in the comparos. i10 is best compared with the Brio and not the Swift.
Old 27th September 2011, 18:41   #82
Senior - BHPian

Actually, the previous gen swift VDI/LDI diesel models had this very same problem and maruti did a free replacement of improved brake boosters. More information in the following thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...gn-maruti.html

I myself got the booster upgraded from maruti and many members have reported improvement in braking characteristics thereafter. I hope maruti addresses this with the current LDI/VDI variants.

Quote:
Don't know. But I don't remember too many complaints on the brakes of the last-gen VDi. Maruti giving such mediocre brakes is an inexplicable oversight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

Tell me about it, I really wish Maruti takes a note from Toyota and provides an upgrade. The brakes are quite scary.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2011, 18:58   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Make no mistake, the Swift will leave a Punto for dead on the corners. Reason:
- Quicker steering. Much quicker.
- Lesser body roll. Much lesser.
- Grip levels are on par with the 185 mm rubber that our test car had.
If the Figo had more power, it would be the most fun on the twisties. However, as things stand today, the Swift diesel is the most fun-to-drive diesel hatchback there is on sale in India.
Superb, superb suspension, tight chassis and w-i-d-e footprint. Drive it to believe it.
Now I am seriously contemplating to replace my Palio with the SwiftD.
But the problem is we have a VentoD. Can the Swift satisfy someone, who is already pampered by the Vento's power & handling?
Or will the Figo with a powerbox make more sense for city runs.
Old 27th September 2011, 19:13   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Make no mistake, it's based on an all-new platform that is 90 mm longer now, with an additional 40 mm of wheelbase length thrown in.
I'm sad that only 20 mm of that additional 90mm space translated into cabin space. Worse is the fact that the boot got smaller. :(

Quote:
Maruti used to offer ABS as an option on the earlier "V" variants, and it's inexplicable that the same has been taken away on the new Swift. What makes matters worse is that the "L" and "V" variants have poor brakes, since it's only the "Z" level that receives the "brake assist" feature. While Maruti is tight-lipped on what brake assist means, from my drive in the ZXi, I can assure you that brake assist = brake booster.
I had got an article on Brake Assist from Autoteam Maruti Service Masters mailing list, Cochin on what Brake Assist means. Attaching the same.

This is what it means in short -

Many drivers are slow to react to emergency situations that call for immediate braking, and when they do react they often don’t press down hard enough on the brake pedal. This will worse if the ABS system kicks in, the noise and vibrations that feed back through the brake pedal may scare them, causing them to lift their foot off the pedal momentarily, or to pump the brakes. Either of these actions will reduce the effectiveness of the brake system, and may increase the distance it takes to come to a complete stop. Brake assist helps vehicles to stop faster and in less distance.

More details on Brake Assist on the attached file - Brake Assist.doc

Quote:
Shockingly, the “shin” area of my leg kept hitting against the plastic panel right above the clutch, when fully pressing the clutch pedal. To the point where it started hurting after 60 minutes of driving & constantly changing gears. Note that this is down to the driving position, and friendly Moderator Stratos didn’t face the same issue. On the other hand, in his driving position, his left knee kept hitting against the waterfall console in an annoying manner. If you are anything over 5’8” in height, you can bet that you will face either of the two problems mentioned here.
I faced the 2nd problem due to the waterfall design. My knees were rubbing against the centre console and did not feel good at all. This was one of the reasons which influenced my family's decision to cancel the new Swift booking.

Quote:
The rear seat is better than the outgoing Swift (Maruti claims 20 mm more of knee room), and two 5'10" adults can fit on the back seat. This still isn’t a bench that I would term as very comfortable or “spacious” though. The Swift is a compact hatchback and the confines are still limited.
First thing we noticed, when we tried the rear bench was the cramped space. It's a pity that Maruti did not give priority for space inspite of the fact that they had extra 90mm to work with. :(

Quote:
And, as a thoughtful touch, the part where your legs would hit the underside of the front seat is soft & cushioned.
Are you sure about this? Because I felt exactly the opposite, so did my friend. A metal was rubbing against the upper part of the feet. We tried it on 2 cars and we got the same feeling on both. Maybe GTO missed it since you were using the shoes with adequate cushioning on top ?

Quote:
Tiny rear window + black interiors make the rear environment similar to that of a cargo train:
After myself and my friend got into the rear bench, his first question was doesn't Ritz feel better on the rear? And I noded my head. You really feel like you are inside a cargo van on the rear bench.

Quote:
Abysmally impractical 204 liter boot. The high loading bay makes matters even worse:
Maruti got it terribly wrong here.

Quote:

• It’s unusual for a Japanese manufacturer to prioritise form over function (best left to the Italians, really). Yet, the Swift's engineering team has clearly followed this line of thought. The tiny rear windows, limited headroom at the back and the tough-to-load boot all illustrate the priority of aesthetics in the making of this car.
Yeah, I also felt the same, when I saw the car. Initially when I got into the car, I said 'wow'. But, once I started checking ergonomics and comfort, I felt that functionality has given away for aesthetics.

Quote:
• One reason for Maruti removing the ABS from the “V” variants is to upsell the “Z” variant. Safety-inclined customers are generally less price sensitive. However, this strategy could backfire. Remember, there are many other hatchbacks in the market offering the same space, ABS & Airbags at a lower price point.
Indian customers deserve ABS and airbags at a lower price point. Why is Maruti not bothering to provide these options especially with the poor braking even on the new Swift ?

Quote:
• To understand the brilliance of Honda packaging, get this : The Jazz’ exterior dimensions aren't that different. Still, the Jazz is the most spacious hatchback by far, and has a whopping boot size as well.
+1. Where did the 90mm space go ? Inside the bonnet ? :(
Attached Files
File Type: doc Brake Assist.doc (124.0 KB, 1142 views)

Last edited by amalji : 27th September 2011 at 19:18. Reason: Missed to upload the attachment and formatting mistakes
amalji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2011, 19:25   #85
BHPian

Very nice review GTO. I was eagerly waiting for one from your end.

One must admit that Maruti Engineers have done a great job of IMPROVING an already good product, there are a couple of areas where things could have been better.

Maruti messing up the rear ends of their cars, first surfaced when A-Star was launched. It is altogether a very ugly car when viewed from the rear. The new Swift with a similar design language, is not very pleasing to look at as compared to the front and side profile. I somehow dont like the gap between the hatch and the bumper above the number plate.

An All black interior doesnt feel fresh enough. Also it restricts the shades you can play with for your seats. A touch of beige would have been a welcome change.
Old 27th September 2011, 19:26   #86
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
I'm sad that only 20 mm of that additional 90mm space translated into cabin space. Worse is the fact that the boot got smaller. :(

+1. Where did the 90mm space go ? Inside the bonnet ? :(
This is what I noticed. I found more space between the radiator and the engine when the bonnet is open. The front portion of the new swift i.e from A pillar to the grille is lengthier where it would have swallowed 70mm or more.
I feel the 20mm rear leg room is taken away from the boot space apart from front seat design. Space management is not that much great where everyone expected a better proposition.
Old 27th September 2011, 19:35   #87
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Those of you who read the updates on my Civic thread would know that my kid bro is back home (was studying abroad).

When I was compiling the thread on enthusiast cars for 6 lakhs, I didn't realise I'd want a pre-owned Civic at the end of it. And when I was in the process of releasing this thread in the morning, I didn't know it will lead to a Swift coming home. Well, looks like that's just what is going to be happening. My brother needs a city commuter and has nearly finalised on the ZDi. Why Swift diesel. His needs:

- Light & easy to drive in the city (he hates "heavy" steerings)
- Diesel (fairly high running)
- A car that's youthful
- Fun on the open road
- Zero maintenance + solid after sales service
- Standard equipment
- Brand new. He isn't a fan of pre-worshipped cars (much to my )
- Doesn't need space, as he's still only 24, and there are other cars in the house for the long trips
- 7 lakh budget

He remembers how the Esteem gave us trouble-free service till nearly 2.0 lakh kms. That's also the car he learnt to drive on.

Why ZDi? In order of priority:

- BRAKES. Better brakes, 'nuff said.
- ABS
- Airbags
- Equipment (he's keen on the OEM audio, driver seat height adjustment & climate control in particular)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
(what do we call it ANS : All New Swift!
Please avoid using acronyms for new cars. We've recently banned it on Team-BHP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Ok but is this due to the ABS system being a better overall package compared to the stock booster assembly system?
Definitely a better overall package.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2011, 19:48   #88
BHPian

Quote:
On the other hand, I'm going to have to move the 1.2L petrol a position down, due to the timid tuning at the bottom end. I would rank the Hyundai 1.2 Kappa2 as the best petrol engine from the segment, followed by the Swift & the Brio (an equal No.2). The 1.2s from the Beat, Micra, Figo and Punto aren't even close to this trio.
Quote:
I loved the old 1.2 K series, but the newly tuned engine is nowhere as impressive.
Quote:
The petrol was a disappointment (and I speak as a self-confessed fan of the ol' 1.2 K Series).
Hi GTO, the wait for the elusive Swift road test was well worth it, given the quality of the review. It is quiet obvious from your above posts that you are quiet disappointed by the new Swift's petrol engine. Your less-than-positive (but unbiased) comments of the petrol variant along with the petrol price hike and huge demand for the diesel variant (over the petrol variant) will certainly not help Maruti's cause.

By the way, you compared the Swift with the Punto. How would you compare the Swift with the I10? Which of the two would be a better ALL ROUND petrol hatch as a FAMILY car? This is because a friend is seriously considering both petrol cars for the 4-member family and is eager for a neutral assessment of the comparison. He refuses to consider my views, which are, quite obviously, totally biased.

Quote:
My brother needs a city commuter and has nearly finalised on the ZDi. Why Swift diesel.
What better than to ask elder bro for the best possible advise in the country?

Last edited by misquitas : 27th September 2011 at 19:57.
Old 27th September 2011, 19:52   #89
BHPian

Any idea if the boot of the new Swift is big enough to accommodate an LPG cylinder? A neighbor of mine wanted to buy the new Swift but seeing such a small boot, he is confused if an LPG cylinder will fit in or not.

Swift and Brio seem to completely ignore rear seats and boot which makes them unfit for a family car and hence push a car enthusiast like me to buy a mediocre car instead, like Figo
Old 27th September 2011, 20:02   #90
BHPian

Quote:

Bet most (if not all) 2011 Swifts you’ve seen so far have been white. Reason? That’s the way production has been planned. We even have a picture to prove it!! Thanks to BHPian Devil_KLM for this one:
Thanks GTO.
I have booked my Swift ZDI(White) on monday

Most Viewed