Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2011, 12:54   #136
Team-BHP Support

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

It's pretty disappointing to read that the new K12 with VVT is actually not as good as the earlier one.

I think Maruti is taking mileage a bit too seriously and sacrificing driveability. I've been noticing this since the Alto BS4. To get the best FE very sharp fuel cut off's resulting in jerking and very poor driveabilty. Same was in A-star as well.

The Swift is a good car but IMO it is no longer worth the premium. In Bangalore the ZDi variant costs 7.8L on-road. That is exactly one lakh more than the Figo Titanium. The Swift has climate control and alloys as the biggest extra. Another 20K and you can get the i20 CRDi Sportz which has a much more premium image. 20K lesser will get you a fully loaded Micra DCi but Nissan don't give ABS. The swift is somewhere in between. The Nissan, Ford and Hyundai have more interior space and more luggage space and are good on FE and have very good diesel engines as well.

In case of the Petrol swift also it has nothing special. For the ZXi price you can get a Jazz with ABS and airbags. A far better product IMO.

The VXi and LXi have the i20 and recently launched Brio to worry about. The Brio and Swift both have abysmal boot space so they are even.

ps: Excellent review GTO. Rated 5 stars.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 13:24   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiii View Post
Can anybody confirm if the ldi variant has tweeter pods like in zxi near the side view mirror??
On LDI, the tweeter pods have not been provided.
Old 28th September 2011, 14:05   #138
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the 5 star rating, guys. I'm glad that all of you found my review useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
It is quiet obvious from your above posts that you are quiet disappointed by the new Swift's petrol engine.
Disappointed would be an understatement; the 1.2 K series had been one of my favourites right from the time of introduction. No longer the case. Whether your running is high or low, get the diesel. It's far superior.

Quote:
Which of the two would be a better ALL ROUND petrol hatch as a FAMILY car?
i10. Way more practical, better quality interiors, now a superior engine too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque123 View Post
One question that i have for you, is there a drop in performance (petrol and diesel) of the car when the a/c is switched on? Does the car become sluggish when the a/c is on?
No such issue with the diesel, thanks to the torque. The petrol's lacklustre bottom end might see a drop though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
If price & mileage was not point of concern & you needed a complete family car, which of these would you choose ?
Family hatch = i20 CRDi. Self-driven type with more cars in the house = Swift ZDi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjot1912 View Post
What's your say on the rattling department? How high are the chances of the doors getting prone to rattles? I understand that you tested pretty new cars, but still what's yor view?Thanks again!!
Don't know and honestly, that's not something I can comment on, after spending just a day with the car. You will have to wait for the BHPians to log on miles on their new Swifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvishnu View Post
I was surprised to see that you do not have the new Vista as one of the competitors, or when you compared the specs, any reason?
Included now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Otherwise why would Maruti NOT provide better brakes. The current set is frankly DANGEROUS.
True. I can't remember any other hatchback I've tested where the brakes were so poor (vis a vis the power on tap). This is outright dangerous, irresponsibility on part of Maruti, and I hope they release an update sooner rather than later. Else, expect to see a lot of Swifts rear-ending others. I am SHOCKED that Maruti tried to save on costs in an area that could cost people their lives. Cheap business, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Downer is the EPS, but would reserve my comments till I drive it.
Believe me, as a fan of hydraulic steerings, I have no complaints whatsoever with the EPS. Drive it to believe it. Superbly calibrated, very direct and suits the car's sporty intentions.

Quote:
Thanks to the Bhpian who loaned his prized possession and thanks Team for the 5* review
As I mentioned in my review, heartfelt gratitude to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by channelv View Post
@ GTO, wonder which diesel hatch you would buy if you want to take it for some highway drives along with city drives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
GTO, this is what you had said after reviewing the Punto at the time of launch back in 2009. If you've to pick a diesel hatch today,having driven all the new launches post 2009 which one would it be ?
Swift ZDi; currently the most fun to drive diesel hatchback in the market. Would be my pick of the lot.

I might add that the closest diesel hatchback in terms of fun is the Micra diesel. By gawd, what that Logan 1.5L diesel does to the car. But I just don't like those feminine clothes that the Micra wears.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 14:26   #139
Senior - BHPian

Inspired by this review, I walked down to Saboo Motors to help another bhpian check out a Waggie.

I found a Diesel Swift TD car ready, so I asked for it. It was immediately given to me with the caveat that I would need to take a U-turn at Raj Bhavan as there were traffic blockades ahead of it

The TD was amid traffic and only for 2 kms up and down. While I liked the driveabiltiy of the diesel,I could see the boost post 2000 rpm only a couple of times. It was indeed good, and reminded me of the i-20 CRDI. The brakes were also good (it was a zdi). Below 2000 rpm, it trudges along like the i-20, though the steering felt better (though not as good as my Fiesta's)

But I did not feel any discomfort with the clutch or footwell that was reported on this thread. Could be because it was only for 6 to 7 minutes. I am 5'11" tall.

Even the AC was quite effective in the 31 degree heat, and it was set to 20.5. Rear leg room was ok when I sat in the rear with the driver's seat adjusted to my liking.

The driver's seat was spot on, as was the sound system. The gear shift was also smooth, unlike my WagonR's.

But the biggest dampeners were:-
  1. Miniscule boot (I compared with an older zxi there, and it was just half of that)
  2. Horn position.
  3. 6 months waiting period.
  4. Price.
  5. Horrible rear view with the IRVM, though the ORVMs make up for it.
  6. The protruding rear wheel arches (like in the older Swift). One needs to ensure there is enough gap to avoid scratching those arches.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 15:29   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
5. No USB. On a car that's 6.5L on road. Are you kidding me????
I guess you wouldn't have noticed, Zxi / Zdi version have USB inbuilt, just below ACC. In case if you are looking at lower versions, installing USB is optional.
Old 28th September 2011, 16:16   #141
BHPian

Thanks GTO, very much felt everything that you mentioned in your reviews.
Have seen this vehicle in the showrooms, but never driven the new swift. But having driven the earlier swifts and the Dzire, I was expecting a lot of improvements in this one but am disappointed to find none.

Swift has always been a sporty premium hatchback from the day it was launched. Spirited handling, responsive engines and a sporty looks to go with it. This is what that makes the Swift an enthusiast buy, otherwise, the Ritz which is way cheaper than the Swift is no mug at all.

But the new swift has not widened the gap at all, and has simply plonked yet another car in the segment which is beaten by competition hands down in some of the areas, and also in its pride areas of handling and sportiness.

I was expecting a lower profile, lower dash, wider tyres on all models, An aggressive grille, racier engine, lower seating position et all, and in the new swift, they have again gone on to attend everyone's requirements than a car for the enthusiast
Old 28th September 2011, 16:42   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Great review giving credit where due and calling a spade a spade!!

Actually this is a great strategy - sell a great first product at superb prices. Achieve cult status and sell the second with less value and at jacked up prices. The cult status achieved in the first iteration propels the sales figures of the second iteration.

Otherwise why would Maruti NOT provide better brakes. The current set is frankly DANGEROUS. Even in the old iteration these locked up at the slightest excuse. And to exclude a brake booster at the L and V levels!! Frankly you are taking the customer for a ride. An aftermarket brake booster and a set of Tarox brake discs are what I would recommend as a upgrade before a tuning box. Pardon the excessive posturing but frankly this is unacceptable!!

There seems to be a major difference in the configuration of the intake of the diesel compared to the old setup. May be a clue to the change in power delivery.

The excuse for an antenna (a stick stuck into a half lemon) looks terrible and does not adjust like the old one. The boot was the final nail in the coffin for me. As a current Swift owner, the new Swift doesn't do it for me. Those who have the current iteration are having the cake and eating it too. Maruti has stolen some of the cake in the current iteration.

Drive on,
Shibu.
There is no excluding the brake booster in the L and V variant. The brakes are just 'weak'. A brake booster is very much present in the car . They must have put the old 10 inch one on this car instead the 11 inch one which customers on complaining about weak brakes got retrofitted with. Just an assumption about the brake booster size. But I am 100% sure about the New Swift Diesel having a brake booster.
Old 28th September 2011, 19:08   #143
BHPian

Bringing i10 and Brio into the equation with Swift is interesting. According to me, i10, Brio, A-star, Spark, etc. are in one segment, though prices may tell a different story.

Also this thread seem to be heading towards the conclusion that new swift is not a better swift. I don't think that is what GTO meant. It lacks the low end punch. Boot is more or less the same. Everything else has improved. So, I don't know why people have concluded that it is more of a downgrade.

Last edited by opendro : 28th September 2011 at 19:12.
Old 28th September 2011, 19:35   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

@GTO- just wanted to clarify one point: when you say the brakes are inadequate on the L/V variants that is NOT just because of the ABS/EBD on the Z, right? Your review seems to indicate that the brakes themselves are superior on the high-end variant.

Pardon me if this is a stupid question: for all my love of cars I am pretty much a noob of what goes on under the hood.
Old 28th September 2011, 21:35   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Maruti's 1.2L K-series has always been considered a jewel. With variable valve tech on the intake (Maruti says this was necessary to improve fuel efficiency), the power output has been bumped up to 86 BHP (@ 6,000 rpm) and 114 Nm of torque (@ 4,000 rpm). That's 2 BHP more than in the older Swift, and about the same torque made at 500 rpm less. Should make the motor even better, right? Wrong. Maruti insists that the engine has been tuned for fuel-efficiency, and the tamer nature is immediately evident at the bottom end. The engine feels weaker at lower rpms, where the older car felt distinctly sprightlier. The low rpm behaviour of the engine is completely different from what the specs sheet would have you believe.
Hi GTO. A very wonderful review as usual. Team BHP standard. Completely agree with your views on the diesel, though I felt the lag was more than the old swift. However, what is surprising is the poorer bottom end compared to the old K series. Almost all other reviews across car magazines and channels have said that the low end has improved and it is surprising you find it different.

I have not taken a test drive of the petrol. So for now I guess I will have to go with what you say as I trust team Bhp reviews more. Just that all others say the opposite is what is perplexing!

Last edited by nurni76 : 28th September 2011 at 21:37.
Old 28th September 2011, 22:17   #146
Senior - BHPian

The CV of Swift is fantastic and add to it the excellent resume by GTO. A total winner. The first para of the second post on the first page is fascinating stuff. More than makes up for the delayed review.

Last edited by rajeev k : 28th September 2011 at 22:18.
Old 28th September 2011, 22:48   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
IMO most of the ZDI buyers have already stretched their budget to the maximum possible extent. I doubt if people would be ready to shell out another 40-50k for slightly bigger boot. At approximately 8 lacs OTR for a Swift notchback, I don't think it would be a sensible buy. At this price point i20 CRDI( sports variant and higher) would be a better buy as the face-lifted version is due for launch next year and its expected that they would fix the AC and steering issues.
Yes, you are right. But there will be buyers who would like to stick with Maruti. For those, if they are looking for better boot space then Dzire CS will be a option.
Old 28th September 2011, 22:49   #148
BHPian

Took a test of this car on Sunday and trust me (as a Figo TDCi owner) did not feel anything appealing in the car, except for the MID.

The showroom rep nearly shooed us away by upfornt declaring a waiting period of 340 days...yes you read it right...it 340 days!!!! Are we in the age of Bajaj scooters? book it and forget it for 15 years?

Anyways, that apart, the steering felt very rubbery and under steered. Also, the diesel top end which I drove had a considerable amount of engine noise at high rpms. The gears did not run slot to slot.

I liked the tyre size though! they somehow look huge! The driver seat feels a lot above the ground. Higher than any other hatch I have driven.

Though the rear leg room is increased by around 40mm, the boot still looks clumsy. nothing much can be stored there!
Old 28th September 2011, 22:54   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Super Review!!.. Rating it a well deserved 5 stars.

It seems that Maruti has 'conservatively' bettered the outgoing model in almost every department, except may be the brakes.. and for 90% buyers out there, this gels in well. The bettered rear, the plastics et al.

I'm particularly disappointed that the 'punch' or 'turbo-kick' of the previous model is no more as evident. Ah.. what fun it used to be!

Quote:
• BHPian WebbleScott says "The back door of the Swift has an electromagnetic door opener with a delay. Trying to push shut the door without a time interval will not shut the door properly and can spoil the lock. Please wait at least 5 seconds before the second attempt to close the door."
GTO/WebbleScott, could you please elaborate in this regard?. I would love to hear more, considering such a feature exists in a budget Maruti hatch. Which other vehicles come with these?

Quote:
Swift ZDi; currently the most fun to drive diesel hatchback in the market. Would be my pick of the lot.

I might add that the closest diesel hatchback in terms of fun is the Micra diesel. By gawd, what that Logan 1.5L diesel does to the car. But I just don't like those feminine clothes that the Micra wears.
Where is Figo, in this picture?. Or is it just because of its engine?. Please could you compare the FTD factor of the Figo, and the Swift, and not limit it to the engines? I'm curious about the Swifts dynamics (Read: Corner craveability) vis-a-vis Figo.

--------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Your review seems to indicate that the brakes themselves are superior on the high-end variant.
Yes noop, as per my understanding of the review, the ZDi comes with a better brake booster, which means, the braking (ABS out of the picture) in itself is better.
Old 29th September 2011, 00:05   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
please elaborate in this regard?. I would love to hear more, considering such a feature exists in a budget Maruti hatch. Which other vehicles come with these?
This is with reference to the remote dicky (boot/tailgate) release that is electromagnetic in the swift. It is not cable operated. The precaution is to wait for a few seconds & then attempt at again closing the boot door, if you aren't able to close it in the first try. Otherwise the assembly will mess up. IIRC the old gen ZXi had a similar setup

I have seen these types of locks in Ford IKON.

Most Viewed