Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2011, 08:01   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

I have couple of points

1. AC knobs are from grandfather's era. I feel old gen swift was having better knobs. This really looks pathetic in center console.

2. At one place you said leg room is not great ergonomically and your chin and Stratos knee were banging. At later stage you said there is sufficient room for resting your leg.

For average Joe this will be not new car. I think Maruti made trend to carry on its old horses with some changes (in past they did with Wagon-R). Next we will see new platform Alto and Ritz.

It may be called in market that Swift possess new platform. But here it is wise to understand, what is new platform at all? Did they do scratch up work for designing new car? or just deceiving customer with this marketing word -- "New Platform".

- Few mm wheelbase and length increased apparently not visible to users. You also written in review.
- Same engine.
- Failed to make rear seat and boot spacious.
- Cosmetic changes like headlight change, rear light change and moved blinkers to ORVM
- Great point is average, engine and driveability. This was there in old swift as well.

I am seeing this version of Swift more like "Swift Refresh" nothing more than that.

Last edited by anujmishra : 29th September 2011 at 08:02.
Old 29th September 2011, 09:31   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I am seeing this version of Swift more like "Swift Refresh" nothing more than that.
It is not your fault. Any common person will pass this off thinking that it got a mild face-lift.

The fact however is that EVERY body panel on the car is new.

And yes it is based on a completely new platform, Which is derived from the international version of the new swift.
Old 29th September 2011, 09:57   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro
Also this thread seem to be heading towards the conclusion that new swift is not a better swift. I don't think that is what GTO meant. It lacks the low end punch. Boot is more or less the same. Everything else has improved. So, I don't know why people have concluded that it is more of a downgrade.
Yeah, it is funny how a couple of issues (lack of boot-space being the main concern) seem to overshadow what is otherwise a brilliant car. All you need to to is look at the initial Like/Dislike bullet-points in GTO's review and you can see that this car does almost all things well.

What you’ll like:
Snazzy styling packs appeal. Interiors are well-designed too
Competent engine range. Very refined motors
Balanced ride and handling. Superbly tuned suspension
Terrific fuel efficiency, especially from the diesel
Effortless to drive in the city; lots of fun on the highway
• Maruti’s excellent after-sales service & wide dealer network

What more would a customer (who is already sold on the previous Swift), need than a package consisting of competent/refined engines in a stylish package with good interiors, that offers good ride and handling, is easy to drive in the city, is fun on the highways and to top it all is fuel-efficient ?

I think that covers not only a layman's requirement, but also most of what an enthusiast would love. I ignored the last point which is something that is available by default for all Suzukis in India.

And when you look at the NotLikes, it is mainly the boot. The outgoing Swift was not really known for boot-space either. More than that, the brakes are what are cause for concern. The other points (delivery period, price, looks etc) are not really an issue with the car per-se.

What you won’t:
Small, impractical boot. Luggage capacity is severely restricted
Mediocre brakes (LXi / LDi & VXi / VDi). Inadequate for emergency braking conditions
• Looks nearly identical to the outgoing generation car
• Rear seat space, though improved, still isn't "spacious"
• Pricey ZXi / ZDi variants. Also, ABS no longer an option on the middle “V” variants
• Long waiting period for delivery. Runs over 6 months in some cities

I think they have done a good job with the new Swift. As it is, it is a gamble to take something that is doing really well and tinker with it, which is not MSIL's way of doing things.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 29th September 2011 at 10:11.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2011, 10:11   #154
BHPian

Nice review GTO, much awaited! Thanks

Been wanting to ask, has none of you'll notice the similarity of the New Swift's rear styling with the A-Star's?
A month ago, when I spotted this new swift in our neighbourhood, I mistook it for the A Star.
Monaro CV8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2011, 10:42   #155
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
There is no excluding the brake booster in the L and V variant. The brakes are just 'weak'.
Yep, that sounds logical. Brake Assist = More powerful brake booster. Will update this point in my review as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@GTO- just wanted to clarify one point: when you say the brakes are inadequate on the L/V variants that is NOT just because of the ABS/EBD on the Z, right? Your review seems to indicate that the brakes themselves are superior on the high-end variant.
Leaving aside the ABS, the L & V have very ordinary brakes. They are just weak in terms of stopping power from speed. The Z, on the other hand, has brakes that you'd expect in a 85 BHP car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Where is Figo, in this picture?
Figo has awesome dynamics, but looses out due to lack of engine power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
At later stage you said there is sufficient room for resting your leg.
Sufficient space for resting the "foot" (to the left of the clutch pedal).

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Yeah, it is funny how a couple of issues (lack of boot-space being the main concern) seem to overshadow what is otherwise a brilliant car. All you need to to is look at the initial Like/Dislike bullet-points in GTO's review and you can see that this car does almost all things well.
Great job overall, as I said the ZDi would be my pick from the segment. The major downside, in my books, on the L & V are the brakes.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2011, 10:47   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Boot is more or less the same. Everything else has improved. So, I don't know why people have concluded that it is more of a downgrade.
Sorry, I inspected the new Swift and the older one yesterday, and found that the new model's boot was around 40% less than the old one. Even the Sales Advisor nodded in affirmative when I asked him.

This, according to me, is the greatest deterrant. While Figo tdci may be a better city car owing to near zero turbo lag, the Swift zdi would definitely be a better cruiser on the higways, though ride and handling may be on par.

But owing to the boot, it is unlikely for a family of 4 to pack their luggage for a weekend trip. The compromise would be to take a Figo, though it runs out of breath over 100 kmph.

The need of the hour is for a Swift with a bigger boot or a Figo with a more powerful diesel mill.
Old 29th September 2011, 10:58   #157
BHPian

Funny that you say we need a more powerful diesel mill for the Figo. Are we forgetting that Figo has the same diesel engine that powers the Fiesta Classic? Both Fiesta and Logan diesel are nice cruiser on highways, though they run out of steam above 140Kmph. So is Swift diesel though all of them can reach a max speed of 158Kmph.
Old 29th September 2011, 12:31   #158
Senior - BHPian

Well, I've never driven the Fiesta classic tdci, nor the Figo. My knowledge is based entirely on this forum. I've read someone's post that the Fiesta tdci lacks punch over 110 kms, but not sure on whose thread.

Even GTO's review on the first page says 'both petrol and diesel Figos lack outright performance'. Further, the tdci would need a gear drop while overtaking, while the ddis may not.

But I do plan to TD the Figo tdci soon.
Old 29th September 2011, 12:40   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Nice review GTO, much awaited! Thanks

Been wanting to ask, has none of you'll notice the similarity of the New Swift's rear styling with the A-Star's?
A month ago, when I spotted this new swift in our neighbourhood, I mistook it for the A Star.
Are your serious ? IMHO they are totally different. The only thing you can confuse the New Swift with is the Old Swift!
Old 29th September 2011, 13:27   #160
Senior - BHPian

Having owned the first Swift for several years, looking to change and was seriously thinking about the new Swift. Petrol only - running is very low. But GTO - you mention that the VVT petrol is a bit of a disappointment and also that on a comparison with the Jazz, you clearly prefer the Jazz.

Budget is not too much of an issue. I still have to TD both the cars but from what I read, my comparisons between Jazz/new Swift are as under:

Swift has better ACC, tires (ZXi), better ICE, handling. Swift has worse engine, ergonomics (left foot hitting under dash/console), boot / overall space, overall build/quality.

Jazz Select would probably be ~75k more than ZXi. I am not too sure I would pay for X for fogs, spoiler and seat adjust.

A.S.S. mostly seem ok, only Honda costs are quite a bit higher in general.

The Jazz seems to be your overall choice. Wifey would be driving it most of the time.

I will be highly appreciative of your more detailed reasons for preferring the Jazz to the Swift. Or do you think I should also take a closer look at the Brio? All three seem to now have waiting periods of 4-6 months - what economic slowdown are we talking about here?

Last edited by sandeep108 : 29th September 2011 at 13:30.
Old 29th September 2011, 13:30   #161
BHPian

Guys really confused now... Between Ford Figo TDCI and Swift VDi.

My 2005 Wagon R is due for replacement and I have waited for the new swift for almost a year now. Thanks to the waiting period, another year looks likely...

Can you advice me what to buy in < 6 lac? It has to be a diesel.
Old 29th September 2011, 13:43   #162
BHPian

I've done 150@3900 in the Ikon TDCI. Also it is comfortable in the 120-140 range, with the car planted comfortable on the road.
So, engine wise even Figo should be able to touch these speeds, but the body weight the aerodynamics may impact the stability of the Figo.

Cheers
MKP
Old 29th September 2011, 14:05   #163
BHPian

I've driven Figo Tdci, as somebody also mentioned it lacks the punch. Felt somewhat under powered. Once you reach a speed of 100-110kmph, stability of the car is gone. Guess one has to use it purely in city.
Old 29th September 2011, 14:14   #164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Took a test of this car on Sunday and trust me (as a Figo TDCi owner) did not feel anything appealing in the car, except for the MID.
Are you serious? Did you see the VDI or ZDI?

Quote:
Anyways, that apart, the steering felt very rubbery and under steered. Also, the diesel top end which I drove had a considerable amount of engine noise at high rpms. The gears did not run slot to slot.
Didn't really get what rubbery steering meant? Its really strange that you found it understeering? Where did you drive the car (in Pune) and at what speed to notice understeer?
Old 29th September 2011, 14:35   #165
BHPian

GTO - thanks for the very exhaustive and informative review. I was waiting for this detailed a review for some time. Unfortunately, I bought my i10 Asta auto before the Swift came out, otherwise I would not have thought twice and gone whole hog for the Swift.

Most Viewed