Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2011, 17:56   #211
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Point taken, 2 sec is significant. Out of curiosity, what is the figure for 0-120 for Figo (somehow I'm unable to get anything on Figo on net)? I'm sure it must be around that 23 or 24 secs which the DZire DDiS also takes. I leave the rest to Figo TDCi owners to defend or throw some light

Comparing the power figures and acceleration times of Civic and i10 Kappa2 is a wrong example though. That would be like saying an alto K10 is much more powerful than an Octavia 1.9 TDI (in terms of 0-100).
Civic vs i10kappa2 performance comparison makes sense
octavia tdi vs alto k10 doesn't make sense because one is a Petrol and one is Diesel.
Old 30th September 2011, 18:09   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Moderator Jaggu insists that his diesel Swift (previous gen) also has hydraulic engine mounts. That's why I haven't added it to my review, though the same has been discussed.
Although I haven't really looked properly inside the old DDiS Engine bay, the reason I felt that this is a new addition is because when I went to see a pre-launch demo of this car, a seemingly knowledgeable maruti representative told me about the addition of hydraulic mounts in the 2011 swift.
Later I also happened to see this listed on the Wiki page as new improvements in the 2011 swift :
Maruti Suzuki Swift - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
But then again they have also mentioned "The diesel engines have adopted DDIS technology ", which obviously was there in the old gen swift diesel also. So don't know about the authenticity of the info given here.
I hope that I come across an older generation swift diesel soon, curious to find out.
Old 30th September 2011, 18:20   #213
BHPian

Thanks for the superb review. This car is going to be a mega-hit.
Old 30th September 2011, 22:04   #214
BHPian

devil_kln - absolutely let us wait for the delivery of the swift. I dont mind being car less for another 3 months as long as I get the swift. Call me a moron, but I would just like to say that I dont care.
Old 30th September 2011, 22:06   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Are you serious? Did you see the VDI or ZDI?

Didn't really get what rubbery steering meant? Its really strange that you found it understeering? Where did you drive the car (in Pune) and at what speed to notice understeer?
Yup ... I am serious! It was ZDI.

The front wheels didn't feel planted. It felt like I was not driving on tarmac but on some soft surface which were making the drive feel very ... not getting the right word. But surely it wasn't anything close to either Figo or Punto. (I know its wrong to compare these cars with Swift in respect to ride and handling...)

Yup, the test ride was done in Pune and on long straight stretch of road with very less traffic. Speeds varied from 20KMPH to around 90 or 100 KMPH. By the time I touched 100 on speedo, I could clearly hear the engine that too with AC on.

Not that Figo is any better here, even that makes a lot of noise (My manger always said when I started the car "Yaar, yeh tractor band karde"!!! please turn off that tractor )

Anyways, I had expected a lot better swift, (Brother is hell bent on buying one). But now even he is not sure if he should go in for it or not..!
Old 30th September 2011, 22:44   #216
BHPian

see this link on overdrive. A comparison between swift petrol and Brio. A close fight but finally the swift wins. What we see here is that the Swift petrol engine is as good if not better than Brio.
Overdrive

Some of the test parameters posted below:

Honda Brio vs Maruti Suzuki Swift performance figures

Performance Honda Brio Maruti Suzuki Swift
0-100kmph 12.85s 12.93s
0-400 metres 18.56s@120.06kmph 18.57s@120.60kmph
0-1000 metres 34.60s@140.33kmph 34.78s@142.13kmph
40-100 kmph 30.88s(4th)/51.39s(5th) 27.22s(4th)/55.04s(5th)
Top speed 143.2kmph 165kmph
Braking (100kmph-0) 43.09m/3.38s 48.46m/3.4s

FUEL EFFICIENCY

Highway 21.3kmpl 20.1kmpl
City 14.6kmpl 14.9kmpl
Overall 16.27kmpl 16.19kmpl
ARAI 18.4kmpl 18.6kmpl
Old 30th September 2011, 23:06   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast
Please add my name as well waiting for Zdi booked on 15th July 2011 . Guys i am going i20 test drive tomorrow , what u all bhpians says i20 or swift zdi .
If you love driving then it's got to be the Swift. i20 is a loaded car but there are few issues with it regarding the high speed feedback and the steering rattle which is quite common. Add to that the possibility of an all new i20 in 2012 and Swift starts making more sense.
My mind somehow keeps going back to the Punto 90hp . I know it probably makes even lesser sense when compared with the Swift, but then there is something about it which strikes a chord!
Old 30th September 2011, 23:14   #218
BHPian

i20 thing is coming up due to the waiting issues i am facing . . I have 2010 swift D in my family and when i test drove the new Zdi , it gave me huge smile on my face . Ride , handling , interiors are amazing and far better then old swift . Now when GTO has reviewed the swift and he terms it as the one of the best hatch which gives FUN To Drive factor , this let me wait for some more time . GTO what you say i20 or swift zdi . My heart and mind says swift zdi , its all due to the waiting period which is making me impatient .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M View Post
If you love driving then it's got to be the Swift. i20 is a loaded car but there are few issues with it regarding the high speed feedback and the steering rattle which is quite common. Add to that the possibility of an all new i20 in 2012 and Swift starts making more sense.
My mind somehow keeps going back to the Punto 90hp . I know it probably makes even lesser sense when compared with the Swift, but then there is something about it which strikes a chord!

Last edited by Safari_Beast : 30th September 2011 at 23:15. Reason: correction
Old 1st October 2011, 00:10   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Nice review GTO, much awaited! Thanks

Been wanting to ask, has none of you'll notice the similarity of the New Swift's rear styling with the A-Star's?
A month ago, when I spotted this new swift in our neighbourhood, I mistook it for the A Star.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M View Post
Are your serious ? IMHO they are totally different. The only thing you can confuse the New Swift with is the Old Swift!

And to prove my point..
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-production_suzuki_astar_2.jpg

Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-marutiswift06.jpg

Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-marutiastarvxi1.jpg

I meant the high rear bumpers, smaller rear wind-shield & hatch door..
Old 1st October 2011, 00:28   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
and in the exteriors I see this - "Triple Barrel headlamps" What on earth does triple barrel", really. They put plus for Vista and "not available" for swift. ....claim to be superior. On another note, I guess they (tata's marketing team) feel the aam admi may be taken in by such things and go for Vista.
+1 to that, they feel common man can be taken for a bumpy ride.
The one area TATA cars Indica (excluded) are superior is on the blinding power of the head lamps. The second barrel comes on in Hi-beam position. The Vista lights are a nuisance on the roads as the common man on the wheels of TATA cars never dip their main beams, the ACE, which has elephantine (power wise) headlamps, included.

Last edited by rajeev k : 1st October 2011 at 00:30.
Old 1st October 2011, 00:30   #221
Team-BHP Support

Glad to see so many Z verions. No offense to anyone who has booked VXi/ VDi. I'm mentioning the Z version in particular because a lot of people mentioned Z wont be a seller as there are better options available at those prices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
i20 thing is coming up due to the waiting issues i am facing . . I have 2010 swift D in my family and when i test drove the new Zdi , it gave me huge smile on my face . Ride , handling , interiors are amazing and far better then old swift . Now when GTO has reviewed the swift and he terms it as the one of the best hatch which gives FUN To Drive factor , this let me wait for some more time . GTO what you say i20 or swift zdi . My heart and mind says swift zdi , its all due to the waiting period which is making me impatient .
Test drove i20 yesterday. Really impressed with the interiors. (Have seen it before, but the blue display and everything totally caught me off-guard). Even the Magna version had ACC! The Asta version i drove had almost all features you could demand for the price range.

The engine was sweet, refined and picked up pace quickly - i felt the acceleration to be better than Swift. Lag/ absence of it felt similar to new swift. Not as much turbo kick though IMO.

BUT, same cant be said about the dynamics. At speeds around 90kmph- didnt feel too confidence inspiring, specially the rear suspension seemed too soft and gives a pitching sensation when car goes over small undulations. I didnt have a problem with the steering since I am used to light EPS system in the WagonR. Heard the infamous steering rattle three times over bad roads. Irritating and really loud, i thought i hit the front underbody on two occasions.

Overall IMO- Budget no-bar, no nonsense diesel city car, to impress the boss and ladies - i20 without doubt. Swift simply doesnt feel as premium. However, if you look forward to driving the car yourself - Swift diesel it is!

PS - I have been driving a WagonR for over 50k kms now. i20 is a lot better in dynamics front, and would be a big step up for me. Just that I really dont want to compromise just because of the waiting period.

Last edited by GTO : 1st October 2011 at 11:35. Reason: Removing list of members & bookings. They can use the "I booked my car thread" for the same purpose
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2011, 00:50   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Glad to see so many Z verions. No offense to anyone who has booked VXi/ VDi. I'm mentioning the Z version in particular because a lot of people mentioned Z wont be a seller as there are better options available at those prices.
CrAzY dRiVeR, tbhp sales pattern have always been very much different from the 'aam-juntha'. Take for example the Fiat T-Jet, or Fiat itself. % of Fiat owners here are much..much more than the real world out there, where its negligible.

Same may be the case with ZDi. Please note that I'm not intending to say that ZDi is not a worthy contender in any way, but just that, you cant judge by sales statistics in tbhp.

dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2011, 00:59   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
CrAzY dRiVeR, tbhp sales pattern have always been very much different from the 'aam-juntha'.
Same may be the case with ZDi. Please note that I'm not intending to say that ZDi is not a worthy contender in any way, but just that, you cant judge by sales statistics in tbhp.
+1. For any car, as far as I understand, the mid variants sell much more than the top variant. The entry & top variants sell lesser. I guess one reason for that is still a high percentage of the aam junta thinks ABS / Airbags offered on top variants is useless or not required for city runs and are not ready to pay the extra bucks or even ready to wait a couple of days more !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
Since you mentioned the i20 2012 launch let me add that the car that strikes a cord with your heart is also having a facelift.
Is it confirmed that Punto Evo will come our way ? Those alloys look smokin HOT !

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 1st October 2011 at 01:01.
Old 1st October 2011, 07:46   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
they feel common man can be taken for a bumpy ride.
IMHO, the comparison also highlighted ABS, Bluetooth, Steering audio control, Height adjustable seat, Lumbar support, intelligent rear wiper as well.

So the common man is not taken for a ride, bumpy ride included.
Quote:
The Vista lights are a nuisance on the roads as the common man on the wheels of TATA cars never dip their main beams
An (unwarranted) far stretch of generalization.

Quote:
the ACE, which has elephantine (power wise) headlamps, included.
I completely agree with the ACE menace
Old 1st October 2011, 08:36   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M
If majority of your driving is long distance look no further, go ahead and take a Punto. Swift's rear seat is a backbreaker while doing long distance, but for city ride swift is ideal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks