Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2011, 04:28   #316
BHPian

Re: People who booked Swift , "A harrased lot ".

Booked a VDi on 1st September and the dealer quoted a waiting period of 2 months on that day. After the strike(s) began, they were totally at loss on providing further details regarding the delivery. Quite understandable.

Yesterday, they told that the delivery will take another 4 months atleast. And even advised me to look at other options like the i20 or the Polo, both of which I never bothered to consider before booking the Swift.

In short, all I want to say is that, it's never east to get what you want the most. Just have to be patient and at the end, trust me, you'll not be disappointed.
Old 9th October 2011, 07:07   #317
BHPian

If you have booked a Zdi, why would you downgrade to a Vdi? I agree that the dealer must be having a Vdi around which probably was rejected by a customer and he is trying to pass on that car to you. Since want a diesel, you probably dont have any choice. If you were going for features, you might want to switch to a Zxi instead, but that's of course petrol. All the best in your quest to finally get the car into your garage.
Old 9th October 2011, 09:22   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
I don't think waiting for 6 months to 1 year for any car is worth it, there are plenty of options in the market including........
Spot on! The waiting period is just ridiculous.

On top of it you keep hearing about the new swift's reliability issues (could be a one off case too) on and off elsewhere in the forum.

Plus most of them have also complained about the weak brakes on the Low and Mid variants. The tiny boot would do no good for a family trip or Airport transfer.

The plastic fuel tanks adaptability and reliability in the Indian road/ weather conditions leaves room for more speculation.

No major cosmetic upgrade for the untrained eye.

IMO, Spending 7.XX plus on a car that can only handle well does not make sense for a person who is looking at this car as his primary ride.

The above points should really give the prospective swift owners (with 4m+ waiting period) a reality check. There are better cars out there in the market which are more VFM with relatively less waiting period. No offences meant to any swift owners or die hard swift fans. This is just a reality check!!!

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 9th October 2011 at 09:51.
Warwithwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 11:46   #319
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
On top of it you keep hearing about the new swift's reliability issues (could be a one off case too) on and off elsewhere in the forum.
Any other cars reported with reliability issues? Only one i heard of is the one that stalled thrice. Yet to know what caused the issue there since the car ran fine for first 2000 kms.
Quote:
The plastic fuel tanks adaptability and reliability in the Indian road/ weather conditions leaves room for more speculation.
This was the case with earlier swift diesel too. Havent come across even 1 issue reported anywhere online. So why does it leave room for speculation now?
Quote:
The above points should really give the prospective swift owners (with 4m+ waiting period) a reality check. There are better cars out there in the market which are more VFM with relatively less waiting period
Been hearing this statement ever since the car was launched. I'm looking for fun-to-drive diesel car (with ABS) around 7L OTR, and my reality check was when i had to narrow my choices down to only two cars to choose from - Swift ZDi & Punto Emotion, each having their own set of negatives.

Hopefully - a better spec Polo will get launched before the waiting period ends. But, looking at current Polo pricing, i doubt it will anywhere as VFM.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th October 2011 at 11:51.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 11:57   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
You need not think all Swift owners have 'herd mentality'. By saying so, you are not berating the vehicle but the owners. Pretty rude I must say. Everybody has their own reasons for buying a Swift.
1. Its FTD in its class
2. Its a maruti (means more resale, a.s.s. etc)
3. It has a wonderful diesel
4. Its fuel efficient
5. Looks great.
6. Doesn't have many niggling issues apart from rattling which should be fixed by now.

The list goes on and on.

Let me know if I need to elaborate on what other cars lack.

Doesn't mean Swift is perfect in any way but its still the best bet for many people.
@blue_pulsar,
I'm neither berating the car nor the choice of people who make informed decision. The point I'm trying to make is that apart from T-BHP members there are others who just follow others without evaluating their requirements. I know of friends whose family members wanted a swift because it was a status symbol in their circle of friends, just because it was Maruti and looked cool.

I don't want to get drawn into which car is better and which is not for whatever reasons. To each his own.

Also not deviating from the main topic, my main point here is Are manufacturers justified in making people wait for 6-8 months? whatever be the reason.

Cheers!!
Old 9th October 2011, 12:12   #321
BHPian

Dont worry about reliability when it comes to maruti . my brother owns a new swift zdi in jalandhar and is running fine till now . He has driven 5000 kms without any issue . Issue can be due to many reasons so dont worry about new swift reliability . Its the same great engine which is more refined and in a different state of tune .

Quote:
Spot on! The waiting period is just ridiculous.

Plus most of them have also complained about the weak brakes on the Low and Mid variants. The tiny boot would do no good for a family trip or Airport transfer.

No major cosmetic upgrade for the untrained eye.

IMO, Spending 7.XX plus on a car that can only handle well does not make sense for a person who is looking at this car as his primary ride.

The above points should really give the prospective swift owners (with 4m+ waiting period) a reality check. There are better cars out there in the market which are more VFM with relatively less waiting period. No offences meant to any swift owners or die hard swift fans. This is just a reality check!!!
Safari_Beast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 12:13   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

What I would suggest for any potential bookings of popular models known to have big waiting lists, is to clarify directly with a regional sales manager of the manufacturer for tentative ETA before booking, unplanned production constraints notwithstanding. It would definitely help avoid the heartburn and subsequent suspicion of interacting with a dealer.
Old 9th October 2011, 14:54   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
...........my reality check was when i had to narrow my choices down to only two cars to choose from - Swift ZDi & Punto Emotion, each having their own set of negatives
Absolutely agree to your POV. My post was more from the POV of a common man who wants to get his first dream car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
Dont worry about reliability when it comes to maruti . my brother owns a new swift zdi in jalandhar and is running fine till now . He has driven 5000 kms without any issue
Glad to know that your Bro's swift is doing well. Maruthi's have always been known for their reliability and ownership that's easy on a common man's pocket.

However, the recent labour unrest in their production units is something that has caused serious concern to people from various quarters. And also MSIL should do something about beefing up their A.S.S to meet the service requirements of the extended customer base.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 9th October 2011 at 15:03.
Old 9th October 2011, 15:20   #324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S.Grewal View Post
There must be so many people on this forum like me , who are eagerly waiting for their swift . I had booked Swift ABS on 25th of april,2011 . I was given a waiting period of 5 months which expired on 24 sept.
Nothing much can be done here, other than following up with Maruti directly rather than the dealer! Too many strikes in the company is creating the delivery havoc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S.Grewal View Post
The reason for me writing up here is that what are the option for me . I have 6.5lac money in my kitty . My first choice still remains a Swift due to it high resale value and seriously a good product. And The only second option that I feel relevant is I20. But in I20 I do not get many safety features .
Not sure whats the 6.5L that you are talking about. I am sure the ZDi doesnt come for 6.5L ! And also dont understand the "lesser" safety equipment in i20 claim ! What's lesser in an i20 than a swift ? i20 has 6 airbags in comparison to 2 airbags in a Swift right?

Edit::

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Grewal, hope you have learnt not to make full payment of a car before seeing it in flesh no matter what the waiting time is.
True - Full payment should be done only after the vehicle is dispatched from the factory. Atleast we are sure the product is on our way and will not have to worry about the cash lying with the dealer.

Quote:
First of all - I'm one among those waiting for the ZDi as well. Booked Sep first week, and I understand that i may get the car somewhere around Feb - March only.
You knew well what you were stepping into & the huge waiting period that's awaiting you when you booked in Sept. But PS Grewal waited for the whole 6 months and booked the car when there was no strike. He still doesn't have any idea when the car is going to be delivered. You will feel the same heat if you have no idea when your car will be delivered, even after waiting till Mar 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy View Post
If you have booked a Zdi, why would you downgrade to a Vdi? I agree that the dealer must be having a Vdi around which probably was rejected by a customer and he is trying to pass on that car to you.
Please understand that no Swift Ds lie in the dealer yard for a long time - there WILL be takers. And I understand that it was NOT the dealer, but the regional office guy who assured a VDi delivery.

************************************************** ******************************

To be frank, If I were in the market today for a Diesel hatch, I WILL NOT wait for 9 months for a Swift D. There are lot of options today in the market which are close to swift in most of the parameters. And let's stop talking about the "enthusiastic driving" side of the Swift for God's sake. Most of Swift buyers buy the car as it is a "Maruti" & not because of it's driver oriented nature ! Those majority will be equally comfortable in a Punto or i20 or Figo and would have bought the car if it was marketed, sold & serviced by Maruti.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th October 2011 at 15:41.
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 15:45   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Been hearing this statement ever since the car was launched. I'm looking for fun-to-drive diesel car (with ABS) around 7L OTR, and my reality check was when i had to narrow my choices down to only two cars to choose from - Swift ZDi & Punto Emotion, each having their own set of negatives.

Hopefully - a better spec Polo will get launched before the waiting period ends. But, looking at current Polo pricing, i doubt it will anywhere as VFM.

+1 to both the points mentioned. I TD'ed almost all diesel cars available between 6-8 lakh price range in bangalore and ultimately it came down to the Punto 90HP v/s Swift ZDI, one test drive of the Swift sealed it! No car comes close to it in terms of FTD. Its well worth the wait because at the end of 8-10 months i'll have a car that I will never regret buying

Most of the team-bhp ians i presume, have booked the car after considering the other options available in the market and very well knew they had to wait 8 months or may be more to get their car. The intention behind the OP creating the thread is to highlight the unfair allotment going on at the dealers as is evident in his case. I think that's why he chose to use the "harassed lot" due to the dealers attitude more than the troubles at the manufacturer's end.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 9th October 2011 at 15:49.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 15:59   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
I don't think waiting for 6 months to 1 year for any car is worth it, there are plenty of options in the market including from Maruti, Ritz where you would get a discount too apart from new Vista which is greatly improved, Figo, Fabia, Polo etc

!
In Trivandrum, for the diesel RITZ, you will not get a single paisa of rebate and not even a screw as free accessories! (Experience at Popular motors )
Old 9th October 2011, 16:41   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious
Not sure whats the 6.5L that you are talking about. I am sure the ZDi doesnt come for 6.5L !
You should check the prices up north before being sure.

Quote:
True - Full payment should be done only after the vehicle is dispatched from the factory. Atleast we are sure the product is on our way and will not have to worry about the cash lying with the dealer.
+1 I am not sure why you did this Mr. Grewal. Did the dealer, in any way imply that doing this would result in a faster delivery?

Quote:
You knew well what you were stepping into & the huge waiting period that's awaiting you when you booked in Sept. But PS Grewal waited for the whole 6 months and booked the car when there was no strike. He still doesn't have any idea when the car is going to be delivered. You will feel the same heat if you have no idea when your car will be delivered, even after waiting till Mar 2012.
As per Maruti, they are not making enough ZDi's right now as they want to clear the backlog for VDi's first. I too am offered a VDi in the next week and a ZDi in November if the strike is resolved. Mr. Grewal's case wont be much different.
ra'ul M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 16:48   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

"Harassed" seems too though and inappropriate. We have booked a VDi on 24th Sept and have been offered delivery in NOV.
But
during booking,the sales representative warned us about the long waiting period. He also refused to take booking for a Dzire when we were interested. Finally we settled for the Swift and he quoted 4-5 month waiting period. We were ok with it. He called again a week later and said Maruti would deliver us the car next month itself. Again we were OK with it.

Never did he force us to buy the Swift or book it. He was offering ready delivery of Ritz VDi but we declined. He then booked us the Swift but not before warning about long waiting period.

Cutting short,i mean to say, Maruti hasn't forced us to buy that car. We are vying for it because it is a good product. It is also trying to lessen the waiting period by ramping up production but labour issues are crippling it. IMO there is no 'harassment' but only 'demand Vs. supply' problem.
Old 9th October 2011, 17:53   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Completely agree here.
It definitely feels sorry to see cases of TBHPians falling for traps like this here. This, insp-ite of TBHP forum having umpteen threads on details steps of PD Inspections to be done on various cars before even getting it registered in his/her name (forget, taking the delivery).

I firmly believe that any aam-aadmi (the person who wants his first car with his hard-earned money) in our country would NOT put in the full payment in-spite of being aware of the huge-waiting lists with that product. The product might be fantastic & un-paralleled one, but in this situation the dealer is just expecting "much" more than the fully payment.

Also, there would be lots of people ready to put in 'full payment' if the dealer assures/even allows PDI for other customers in the line. It's just a 'demand-supply' situation being exploited by the folks in the supply chain due to our non-transparent system. The one put in by Mahindra's for the XUV500 booking looks promising and transparent. Hope this becomes a norm for other manufacturers in the future,.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
To be frank, If I were in the market today for a Diesel hatch, I WILL NOT wait for 9 months for a Swift D. There are lot of options today in the market which are close to swift in most of the parameters. And let's stop talking about the "enthusiastic driving" side of the Swift for God's sake. Most of Swift buyers buy the car as it is a "Maruti" & not because of it's driver oriented nature ! Those majority will be equally comfortable in a Punto or i20 or Figo and would have bought the car if it was marketed, sold & serviced by Maruti.

Looks like Maruti (oops sorry, Suzuki - On how many MS cars do you see the M logo on the front grill these days ?) is grossly underestimating it's customers & workers. The other thread on the plant strike throws up some interest insights (workers plights, etc..) into repeated unrests seen at their plants.

If MS is resting on it's laurels, they're just wearing it in the wrong place !!
Old 9th October 2011, 18:27   #330
BHPian

IMHO, 'harassed' isn't too severe to explain the situation, at least for some buyers. My brother booked a good while back, and was told he's getting one this week, or next week - and they have been saying this for little over two months now. And I think they have recently started playing the good cop / bad cop routine too - apparently some keep assuring him with the 'this wee or next week' routine, where as someone else warns him it would be another 6 months and tries to sell him the Ritz instead.

Anyway, best of luck to everyone waiting - hope you get your soon, and hope all goes well. And well done to Maruti for a successfull product.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks