Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2011, 17:16   #1
BHPian

My Quest for a new ride… Toyota Innova GX (7 Seater)

My tryst with driving began in the initial years when as a child I would sneak in with the driver of the Army Jeep/Jonga that my father was assigned for official work.

My first purchase was a Hyundai Santro in the year 2000. It has been a very able companion giving us some memorable trips. It has been well tended to and is cynosure of our family.

The introduction of the Mecedes E220 gave us the joy of driving an extremely capable and strong and sturdy vehicle.

The Keeda (Germination of an idea) for procuring a new vehicle started in the beginning of this year.

The search began with the Audi A4, Mercedes C-Class C220 cdi, and the BMW 3 series 320d as diesel was the choice of fuel that we had decided on.

My impressions:

Audi A4 : I interacted with the only existing dealership of Audi Mumbai West. The Sales Manager assigned to me was well informed and technically sound regarding his vehicle. I Test drove the A4 and was mighty impressed with its looks and certain features that are only available in the competitor’s vehicles in a segment above it. The vehicle was sent to my residence at the scheduled time on all 3 occasions that I tested it. Once alone, the next 2 times with the family members. The car seemed endearing to me by its looks and poise. The sales team was not too pushy and interacted as and when I wanted them to give me information.

Mercedes C220 Cdi: I interacted with Metro Autohangar. The sales manager assigned was not so sound on technical aspects but was very keen on selling his vehicle with attractive offers. I tested the car twice and both the times the vehicle was delivered on the scheduled time. I had been prodding the sales person for some technical queries and hence he came equipped with a technical guy during the test drives. I found driving the C220 very endearing and it felt quite comfortable to sit it the rear seat.

BMW 320d: Navnit Motors was the dealer whom I contacted. The Sales person assigned was a hardcore sales guy driven by the passion to make a sale. He visited my office and residence multiple times to convince me about his vehicle. I tested the 320d 3 times and was extremely happy to drive it. The car was really peppy and loved to be throttled. But It seemed to be cramped from inside. The deal offered by far was really tempting probably because the 3 series is due for a makeover. I was getting a lucrative discount and the 3 years BSI package included in my base price.

As per the quotes received and hard bargained prices the Strongest contendor and first position was bagged by BMW 320d, the second Mercedes C220 Cdi and third by the Audi A4.

We were almost on the verge of buying the 320d when my little daughter suggested that we take a look at some SUV/MUV contenders. The search began again.

We tested Toyota Fortuner, Mitsubishi Pajero, Ford Endeavor and Chevrolet Captiva.

Toyota Fortuner: The Test vehicle was not available with Mahduban Toyota. Shinrai Toyota arranged the test drive but the vehicle was not delivered as per the scheduled time. The sales person was least bothered about making a sale. Probably because it has been selling like hot cakes among the political class throughout the state. I was not very impressed by the vehicle’s driving dynamics. It almost felt as if one was driving an Innova. The interiors were drab and boring. The exterior was very imposing.

Ford Endeavour: The test vehicle was not available at the dealership (Bhavna Ford) and hence they re-scheduled the test drive for the next day. I did not like anything impressive about the vehicle and the dealer’s sales person was pathetic.

Mitsubishi Pajero: Aquest Auto was the dealer that we got in touch with. The Test vehicle was delivered a day after the actual scheduled date. The sales person was a technically sound and able driver and also experienced in off-roading. The test vehicle was a 2 year old one but handled well. I was extremely impressed with the precise gearshift in the Pajero. In my opinion the pajero was really the best vehicle of the SUVs that I drove. I tested in some really rough stretches and the experience was exhilarating.

Chevrolet Captiva: National Garage took almost 7 days after my call to provide a test vehicle. It drove like a car and seemed very agile. The interiors seemed the best amongst its peers.

Now we had two Contenders…the BMW 320d and the Mitsubishi Pajero… It had been almost the month of June. Which one did we eventually buy and when.

The X1 was not in contention as it seemed neither a car nor a SUV. I was most inclined towards the Pajero and my spouse and daughter were in favour of the 320d. Then came a “Elderly suggestion” Why waste so much money on one vehicle when you could buy a large vehicle like a Mahindra Scorpio or Toyota Innova and keep some money aside for later. So that got us thinking and eventually we did a Test drive of The Toyota Innova that was not on my Radar from the beginning.

My impression:

Toyota Innova: I contacted Lakozy Toyota this time after my not so good experience with the other two dealers. The sales person was informative and precise. He was in no hurry to make a sale. The vehicle was delivered for 2 test drives from as far as Malad to my residence in Chembur which is at a considerable distance from the dealership. I liked the way the Innova drove. It was easy to maneuver and felt like driving a car. The sound of engine was percolating into the cabin. The seating was very comfortable for all the 3 rows.

Now the deliberations started amongst the family members and eventually we decided on buying the Innova as it satisfied our need for a large vehicle and was cheaper on the pocket. Even though my heart was inclined towards the Pajero, with a heavy heart but a calm mind I agreed to buy the Toyota Innova GX (7 Seater) Champagne Mica Metallic Colour.
Now in hindsight I think we made a good decision. The vehicle is easy to maneuver and handles well. It drives well on the Highway as well as the city. The cooling is good and maintenance minimal.

The vehicle was finally booked on 27th of July. The expected date of delivery was suggested between 4 to 6 weeks.

The Arrival
The vehicle left the Factory on 4th August 2011 at 21.22 and reached Mumbai on 9th August.

The PDI
I insisted on the Pre-delivery inspection and sales person informed that the vehicle was in their facility located in Mira Road. I drove down to their facility on a rainy day. The weather was very nice as it was not raining ‘cats and dogs’ as it usually does in this part of the year. The vehicle was inspected by me through the checklist obtained from TBHP. The distance in the odo read 6 km and the vehicle was spic and span. No problem was detected.

The buying experience
The sales person was very courteous and attentive. I had managed to eke out a discount of Rs. 15000/- and prodded more to get the following accessories at no extra cost. The other dealers were offering NO discount at all.
1. Rear Spoiler
2. Floor Mats
3. Stainless steel Muffler Cutter
4. Protective Moudling for the doors

Costing around Rs. 25000/-

The following was paid for
1. Fucot Antirust Treatment with 5 yr warranty
2. Body Coating

Costing Rs. 12000/-

Following Accessories were installed from outside the Dealership
1. Stage-1 ICE Setup including a JVC AVX 846, Roof Mounted Monitor and Reverse Camera for Rs. 32000/- from a fellow TBPian.
2. Art Leather Seat Cover Greige (7 Seater) along with Steering cover for Rs 5000/-
3. GPS Vehicle Security System Rs. 15000/-
4. Sun Control Film 3M Rs. 10000/- for whole car
Price Details
1. OTR Ex-Panvel including insurance and registration - Rs.1219580/-
2. After Discount and accessories Rs. 1179580/-
3. Cost of additional Accessories Rs. 62000/-

Detailed Review

1) Steering

The steering feels responsive and easy to handle. The steering adjustment for tilt is not to my liking my thighs don’t slide down easily from under the steering even when it is in the upright position. Getting in and out of the vehicle is easy.

2) Engine sound

The engine is noisy because I have been driving petrol vehicles. The engine sound is a better at higher speeds and on the highway where it is dissipated by the roar of the tyres on the road.

3) Gear

Gear Shift is smooth. But the gear shift lever is too long.

4) Clutch

The dead pedal is sorely missed during long drives.

5) Braking

Braking is decent but not very good.

6) Acceleration & Pick up

Acceleration is okay for an engine of 2.5 L capacity.

7) Cubby holes

There are quite a few cubby holes in the car but most of them are made fit in a ˝ ltr water bottles comfortably

8) Mileage
I've done 1000kms till now and the mileage is 11.5 kmpl

The 1st free service has been performed on the car.

Usage pattern : I drive 30 kms on daily basis. In minimal traffic as i use a road that has restricted access.

Exterior styling & design: In my opinion, the Innova is minimalistic in the design and styling aspect.

Overall build quality and fit & finish: Built to last and average finish.

Interior space and comfort: Excellent space and comfortable for all occupants.

Air conditioner : The Air Conditioner is extremely efficeint and comfortable

Suspension & ride quality: The ride is quite comfortable. On higher speeds on the highway, the ride is slightly bumpy.

Quality of after-sales service : My first service was scheduled exactly 30 days after the delivery date. The customer service team called twice for the confirmation of scheduled appointment. I reached the service facility exactly on the scheduled time (Sunday) and it took around 10 minutes for the intial paperwork. As i had fixed an appointment to collect the vehicle immediately after the service, i waited in the Lounge. The lounge is equipped with internet connectivity and faces the workshop maintenance bay. The service was completed in 1 1/2 hrs around 15 mins more than the promised time. I was satisfied with the service.

Queries: I was looking for an accessory that i found out while browsing the net. It is from a brochure of a Malaysian/Philipine website. "Engine Under Cover" could anyone suggest whether such an accessory exists. I enquired my dealer quoting the accessory number but he was unable to trace it.

Here is an image of brochure that mentions the accessory.
Attached Thumbnails
My Quest for a new ride… Toyota Innova GX (7 Seater)-engineundercover-acc.jpg  

Last edited by aquavelva : 30th September 2011 at 17:03.
aquavelva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 01:29   #2
BANNED

re: My Quest for a new ride… Toyota Innova GX (7 Seater)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquavelva View Post
My tryst with driving began in the initial years when as a child I would sneak in with the driver of the Army Jeep/Jonga that my father was assigned for official work.
Since your first love was a Jeep and you are a satisfied owner of a Merc, I presume you bought the Pajero.
Am I correct?
Old 28th September 2011, 08:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Isnt X1 an contender too? I suppose there was a diesel variant in it too. Also isnt Santa Fe available with the CRDi motor?
Old 28th September 2011, 09:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now we had two Contenders…the BMW 320d and the Mitsubishi Pajero… It had been almost the month of June. Which one did we eventually buy and when.
I guess you are caught between the devil and the deep sea. It can be seen that you are satisfied with the test drives of both the vehicles, so I guess then now it should be the moolah which decides which one have you opted for. IMO it should be the BMW. Fingers crossed.
Old 28th September 2011, 10:03   #5
BHPian

Well, If you already have a car and you want somethin to go out on a holiday, then SUV it is! Its a well known fact and many would not admit to it, even though they know its true, the Pajero is a far superior car in terms of comfort among the competition (body on frame and within the same price range). The amount of body roll and high speed cornering on cars such as fortuner makes it very uncomfortable and less confidence inspiring. But all said and done, at the end of the day, a Pajero is still an old wine in an old bottle! Those looking for style, image and status may not be impressed with the exteriors and interiors which are pre-historic and leave a lot to be desired! But if utility, as in proper off-road utilization, is the idea, then Pajero it would be!
Old 28th September 2011, 12:29   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Since your first love was a Jeep and you are a satisfied owner of a Merc, I presume you bought the Pajero.
Am I correct?

Devnath: I loved the Pajero but ultimately went in for the Innova GX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I guess you are caught between the devil and the deep sea. It can be seen that you are satisfied with the test drives of both the vehicles, so I guess then now it should be the moolah which decides which one have you opted for. IMO it should be the BMW. Fingers crossed.
ghodlur: The offer from the BMW dealer was very attarctive but the final decision, as you rightly said was based on the 'Moolah'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnair View Post
Well, If you already have a car and you want somethin to go out on a holiday, then SUV it is! Its a well known fact and many would not admit to it, even though they know its true, the Pajero is a far superior car in terms of comfort among the competition (body on frame and within the same price range). The amount of body roll and high speed cornering on cars such as fortuner makes it very uncomfortable and less confidence inspiring. But all said and done, at the end of the day, a Pajero is still an old wine in an old bottle! Those looking for style, image and status may not be impressed with the exteriors and interiors which are pre-historic and leave a lot to be desired! But if utility, as in proper off-road utilization, is the idea, then Pajero it would be!
rnair: I totally agree with your thoughts. Interiors in almost all the SUVs that I considered are drab. The old wine tastes better as that adage goes.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 28th September 2011 at 18:48. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts.
Old 28th September 2011, 12:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think he has already bought one and is trying to build the suspense here. So which one is it?

One question: from your reviews, you said the Beemer looked a little cramped from the inside, and the reason it was on top was mainly the lucrative discount on offer. Is that correct?

Another question: From your first post, you seem to be equally satisfied with the Captiva, so why not include it along with the Pajero?

Oh, it seems you already replied!

Man, Innova is a good vehicle, but it sure is a letdown to know we won't be getting any mouth-watering pics of a Pajero or a Beemer. Enjoy the Innova!

Last edited by honeybee : 28th September 2011 at 12:48.
Old 28th September 2011, 12:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

@aquavelva,

Congratulations on the Innova. Thats a total 360 degree shift from your options but nevertheless you took a good decision.

We need pics of your new ride. Happy mile crunching and drive safely.

BTW never heard of Fucot Antirust, is this new product and is it marketed by Toyota?
Old 28th September 2011, 14:14   #9
BHPian

You test drive a 3,A4 and a C.And then you go and buy a taxi? Blasphemy if i may.How could you?Am going nuts here just reading this.

But then you have an E220 so maybe it was a wise decision.
Old 28th September 2011, 15:07   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I think he has already bought one and is trying to build the suspense here. So which one is it?

One question: from your reviews, you said the Beemer looked a little cramped from the inside, and the reason it was on top was mainly the lucrative discount on offer. Is that correct?

Another question: From your first post, you seem to be equally satisfied with the Captiva, so why not include it along with the Pajero?

Oh, it seems you already replied!

Man, Innova is a good vehicle, but it sure is a letdown to know we won't be getting any mouth-watering pics of a Pajero or a Beemer. Enjoy the Innova!
honeybee: The beemer was very agile and fun to drive and the icing on the cake was the offer.

The Captiva is a bit nimble and very car like but none of us was "Captivated" by it. 'Pun intended'

Even i would have loved to share pics of Bimmer or the Pajero but .. who knows maybe in the future. For now the Innova it is.
Old 28th September 2011, 15:09   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
You test drive a 3,A4 and a C.And then you go and buy a taxi? Blasphemy if i may.How could you?Am going nuts here just reading this.

But then you have an E220 so maybe it was a wise decision.
revintup: That was the same thought that Cramped my mind when i was in the decision making mode. But i guess....mind won the battle against the heart !

Quote:
@aquavelva,

Congratulations on the Innova. Thats a total 360 degree shift from your options but nevertheless you took a good decision.

We need pics of your new ride. Happy mile crunching and drive safely.

BTW never heard of Fucot Antirust, is this new product and is it marketed by Toyota?
ghodlur: Fucot is an Antirust treatment from the Non-genuine Toyota accessories list. The Body coat was a Toyota Genuine product.
Attached Thumbnails
My Quest for a new ride… Toyota Innova GX (7 Seater)-dsc04146.jpg  

My Quest for a new ride… Toyota Innova GX (7 Seater)-dsc04155.jpg  

My Quest for a new ride… Toyota Innova GX (7 Seater)-dsc04147.jpg  

My Quest for a new ride… Toyota Innova GX (7 Seater)-dsc04153.jpg  

Last edited by aquavelva : 30th September 2011 at 16:28. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Please use the Edit button if posting within 30 mins of previous post.
Old 1st October 2011, 14:12   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Quest for a new ride… Toyota Innova GX (7 Seater)

Thread moved back to the Initial Reports forum. Thanks for sharing!
Old 8th December 2011, 11:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
1. Fucot Antirust Treatment with 5 yr warranty
Hi aquavelva,

Saw your post about Fucot underbody coating, needed your input.

I just bought a scorpio and the dealier is offering free Fucot under body treatment the product name he says is MaxiCare.

Wanted get your feedback on this product. Especially as I have not heard about Fucot earlier and not much details available on the web or this forum.

Also the dealier is claiming it costs 4300/- where as the well know brand 3M is only charging 3700/-
Old 8th December 2011, 15:47   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post
Hi aquavelva,

Saw your post about Fucot underbody coating, needed your input.

I just bought a scorpio and the dealier is offering free Fucot under body treatment the product name he says is MaxiCare.

Wanted get your feedback on this product. Especially as I have not heard about Fucot earlier and not much details available on the web or this forum.

Also the dealier is claiming it costs 4300/- where as the well know brand 3M is only charging 3700/-
Ajit: The Fucot Coating is a transparent coating. The warranty for the Anti-rust Treatment is 5 yrs. I paid Rs. 4700.00 for the Innova. Mumbai weather neccesiates antirust treatment. The treatment seems good although the car has exprerienced its first and only rainy season upto now.
aquavelva is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks