Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2011, 12:29   #1
BHPian

15K kms ownership of Red Hot Cruze-LTZ AT

It was in the month of February when me & my wife got into different companies owing to job switch. We had an 2004 Alto LX till then. We have a 5 yr old daughter who goes to a day care, and we used to promptly pick her up in the evening.

But wife's new office demanded 9.5 hrs, which proved a tad bit difficult to manage with the day care's closing time . Additionally Alto LX was ageing and requiring frequent attentions as well (thanks to alto99 for providing tips on maintenance - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...0-000-kms.html).

I had been mesmerized by Scorpio VLX AT for past 2 years, especially the toys and gadgets that they had introduced; coupled with super marketing strategies. I was completely sold to it and had been saving to buy it at the next opportunity. Also, I like to go to un-explored places - like Konkan villages, interior MH etc.; have a Labrador as well, so thought Scorpio fits the bill completely.

So, thus I lined up Scorpio for a TD. Meanwhile had to go to Mumbai for some meetings, and there I met my colleague 2500cc, an ardent Bolero fan, and who hooked me onto team-bhp.

Honda..
Since I planned a TD, I thought lets try out sedans as well, as Scorpio Sales team was taking aeons to get back. As my budget was around 12 lacs OTR, I lined up Honda City as well, though was not interested in petrol. We registered with Crystal Honda for TD, and promptly they gave a TD of Honda City AT. Wife loved it, though I was a bit skeptical abt petrol engine. Seats were comfy, AC & HU were elegant. But we spotted Civic as well, and asked for its TD. That was the turning point in my car decision making. The comfort was just awesome. The interiors fab, steering wheel had steel controls instead of plastic, felt like driving from sofa (esp after driving Alto LX for a looong time). Above all the sales guy offered some discounts on insurance as well.
Was tempted, as it was a nice elegant and comfortable car, which is what probably I needed, rather than an off-roader, maybe??

Scorpio..
Was in the dreamland of Civic, when Scorpio guys woke up and woke me up. My cousin's family had come down at my place that day, so all of us were eagerly waiting for TD of my dream vehicle. Well, firstly they sent a 2008 manual model which put me a bit off. Adding to that the guy who had come with the car was not from sales, but a general driver who had no clue of Scorpio controls, specifications etc. I was mighty upset. Still, we put up a sporty grin and climbed onto it. Initial impression: (pardon me Scorpio guys, but my own views) its a Nano SUV. The seats were cramped, controls were cheap plastic. Still, took my home @Balewadi to Expressway for a ripping TD. At potholes, the vehicle swerved which put a frown on my face. At e-way, as soon as I touched 120, the vehicle started rattling and gear box started making funny noises. People at the back said they felt like puking.... my dream shattered and was mighty upset now!

Later the sales guys called and said they will send latest MT again, but the comfy factor in the seats, the handling, the elegance was completely missing.

Altis..
Then came Japs. Though interiors were awesome, they didnt have AT in Diesel variants, so striked off. Power was low as well.

Cruze..
Read mobike008's ownwership (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ms-report.html) & adventure trip (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...let-cruze.html) and was curious for a TD. Was a bit low on mood though, as there was immense confusion on what to buy -
Civic was petrol, but elegant, comfy, costly
Scorpio was AWD, but not comfy, within budget
Altis didnt have AT in diesel..

Anyways, registered for a TD on Cruze, unlike others before wherein I had called them up. Pashankar Auto guys, called up within 2-3 hrs and within another one hour, promptly turned up with the blue lagoon MT Cruze. Our first 'cautious' reaction was, Man, this guy looks macho. When we sat inside, my daughter squealed with delight at the sun/moon roof. Seating comfort was not as great as Civic but not bad as well, would rate 8.5 on a scale of 10; compared to Civic.

We tested some potholes near our house, and wife said, hmmm its suspension is like that of Civic. The odometer suggested the TD car has been driven for atleast a year.
I thought "Not Bad". And the car was performing elegantly as well. I was driving a bit slow as if a bit disinterested. Thats when we reached the highway and I thought, ok now, show me the stuff, and ripped it.
"Whoaa!" what was that!! It had a pickup of Yamaha, and shot up like a bullet. When I applied brakes, like an obedient pussy cat, it stopped with a small purr. It was indeed a diesel rocket, and its time my right foot too got its due!
Thats when I decided...this is it!! I have got what I wanted.

I think every individual is unique, and so is his/her vehicle. You might be influenced, you might be prejudiced, you might have some obstacles, but eventually, you will know once you TD it!!

A month later...last Thursday, got Velvet Red, LTZ AT and am madly in love with it - multiple times I visit parking in office, just to say a hello. Fellow passionate car lovers too come along, and believe me, this is absolutely normal.

Color - Kalmadi's (& other politicians) all vehicles are white, so rejected that. Already have a black menacing Alto, so thought of going colored and in all marketing campaigns GM has used Velvet-Red which looked fab, elegant, macho & tasteful.

The mods I opted for - Chrome Door visor, OVRM indicators, C bracket, door sill plate, car inverter kit, MapMyIndia SAT navigator.

Next plan - Upgrading headlights & maybe Michellin tyres.

The experience with Pashankar Auto (PCMC) had been awesome. Even though there were some delays in RTGS transactions, they went ahead with mods. Even, my mother was admitted in hospital when the car was delivered. I had forgotten to even plan for a pooja of the car. They arranged everything proactively. Not even once I had to chase them up regarding the delivery timelines even though there was strike at Halol plant.
Features I liked..
- power 150 bhp
- sun/moon roof
- Pickup
- Torque of 327Nm @2600 rpm
- Handling
- Brakes
- Tail lights
- Interior lights
- Macho looks

Things I didnt like..
- low headroom at rear seat
- headlights - doesnt justify the high speed visibility at all
- JK Vectra tyres
- Horn (would trade with a Skoda anyday)
- Rubber at the door (fixed with Chrome visor)

Pics followed...
Attached Thumbnails
15K kms ownership of Red Hot Cruze-LTZ AT-dsc_0011.jpg  

15K kms ownership of Red Hot Cruze-LTZ AT-dsc_0003.jpg  

15K kms ownership of Red Hot Cruze-LTZ AT-dsc_0020.jpg  

15K kms ownership of Red Hot Cruze-LTZ AT-dsc_0027.jpg  

15K kms ownership of Red Hot Cruze-LTZ AT-dsc_0042.jpg  

15K kms ownership of Red Hot Cruze-LTZ AT-dsc_0036.jpg  

15K kms ownership of Red Hot Cruze-LTZ AT-dsc_0044.jpg  

15K kms ownership of Red Hot Cruze-LTZ AT-dsc_0033.jpg  

15K kms ownership of Red Hot Cruze-LTZ AT-dsc_0028.jpg  

15K kms ownership of Red Hot Cruze-LTZ AT-dsc_0012.jpg  

Last edited by rahul_sinha : 13th May 2011 at 22:23. Reason: Uploading pics, completeness
rahul_sinha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 13:27   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My Tryst with Roaring Tequilla - Chevrolet Cruze LTZ AT

Congratulations rahul_sinha.
One query...Is your car driving licence enough for driving a rocket?? is it legal??

I have been very impressed with this car since it was launched.
Is the interiors in your car "all-black"
Please post some nice pictures buddy to do justce to your writeup.

Also please mention the financials if you don't mind and throw more light about the turbo-lag.

Drive safe, Have fun.
Old 13th May 2011, 13:44   #3
BHPian

@Hemanth
Believe me, since the day I got it (5/5/11) I am itching to rip it. Planning for this Sunday.
The car is indeed all-black, which is better than grey-white shade which looked awful. Additionals - bluetooth (only plays music with a paired mobile - cant rec/make calls - though I addressed it by installing SAT navigator), vanity mirror in passenger's seat with light - wife's eye gleamed at that. Even rear seat cushions have been improved a tad bit.

Reg finances, my RT(Roaring Tequila) costed 17.3 with mods/accessories.

As compared to MT, AT has reduced turbo-lag, but it is still evident, though I am getting used to it - especially since I have jumped from Petrol Alto LX to Cruze LTZ AT!

Will put up the pics tonight.

Last edited by rahul_sinha : 13th May 2011 at 13:54. Reason: Incomplete response
Old 13th May 2011, 13:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

@rahul sinha, Welcome to TBHP; thats a smashing first post. We look forward to the pics later tonight and to your participation on one of the tapri meets here.
I wish you and your panther/ pussy cat many a safe mile together

In terms of financials, did you get any of the mods as a courtesy from your dealer?

Last edited by selfdrive : 13th May 2011 at 13:56.
Old 13th May 2011, 14:08   #5
BHPian

@selfdrive:
Sure mate, thanks.
Reg accessories just rubber mats, mud flaps & 5-pin mobile charger were free, though overall I got a discount of 25k (10k on insurance - bargaining, 10k corporate discount & 5k on accessories negotiation). Probably I could have negotiated more, but I guess was too blinded
Old 16th May 2011, 15:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Tryst with Roaring Tequilla - Chevrolet Cruze LTZ AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha View Post
How do I bump the post?
I guess you just did it
It is now available for us to see; I hope you have lots of pics for us!

Last edited by selfdrive : 16th May 2011 at 15:01.
Old 16th May 2011, 18:26   #7
BHPian

One with Team-bhp sticker
Attached Thumbnails
15K kms ownership of Red Hot Cruze-LTZ AT-dsc_0006.jpg  

Old 16th May 2011, 20:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your new car - The Chevy Cruze. The car looks awesome in this color. Please keep the thread updated regularly and add some more pictures of the interiors. Happy Driving.
Old 16th May 2011, 23:10   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey congratulations on your new car. Fantastic choice. Please put some more pics of the car specially the interiors. Also it will be great if you can write a short review of the AT box. Cheers!
Old 17th May 2011, 00:32   #10
BHPian

Congrats alot for buying the new Red-Hot tequilla shot-CRUZE.
Is yours CRUZE is a 2011 face-lifted version with Black Interiors(with Titanium stitches) ?
If yes then please do post the pictures of its Interiors.
Old 17th May 2011, 20:04   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hey congratulations on your new car. Fantastic choice. Please put some more pics of the car specially the interiors. Also it will be great if you can write a short review of the AT box. Cheers!
Thanks.
AT box is okayish. It does what its meant for in the 'Drive' mode. Its a boon for an Alto LX driver, and in a choc a bloc traffic. But on sparse traffic and on a highway, its better to use the Sports mode, as the turbo lag is minimal, and the engine feels much more responsive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
Congrats alot for buying the new Red-Hot tequilla shot-CRUZE.
Is yours CRUZE is a 2011 face-lifted version with Black Interiors(with Titanium stitches) ?
If yes then please do post the pictures of its Interiors.
Thanks. Yes it is the face-lifted version with Black Interiors. Pics uploaded, as requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Congratulations on your new car - The Chevy Cruze. The car looks awesome in this color. Please keep the thread updated regularly and add some more pictures of the interiors. Happy Driving.
Thanks. Pics uploaded.
Attached Thumbnails
15K kms ownership of Red Hot Cruze-LTZ AT-dsc_0077.jpg  

15K kms ownership of Red Hot Cruze-LTZ AT-dsc_0080.jpg  

15K kms ownership of Red Hot Cruze-LTZ AT-dsc_0082.jpg  

15K kms ownership of Red Hot Cruze-LTZ AT-dsc_0084.jpg  

15K kms ownership of Red Hot Cruze-LTZ AT-dsc_0086.jpg  

15K kms ownership of Red Hot Cruze-LTZ AT-dsc_0073.jpg  

15K kms ownership of Red Hot Cruze-LTZ AT-dsc_0075.jpg  

15K kms ownership of Red Hot Cruze-LTZ AT-dsc_0076.jpg  

15K kms ownership of Red Hot Cruze-LTZ AT-dsc_0087.jpg  

Old 28th September 2011, 09:39   #12
BHPian

Hey buddy,
I think I saw you a few times on my way to office. ETZ, Hinjewadi right? I was right behind you today as well. (Red Palio Sport)
Man that Cruze really rocks!
Old 28th September 2011, 09:49   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post
Hey buddy,
I think I saw you a few times on my way to office. ETZ, Hinjewadi right? I was right behind you today as well. (Red Palio Sport)
Man that Cruze really rocks!
Yeah, I do work at ETZ. Thanks for the compliment. I guess, today you were right behind me , remember a guy in specs in a flaming Palio checking out while Cruze was going through the security check .
Old 28th September 2011, 12:06   #14
BHPian

7k kms ownership of Red Hot Cruze-LTZ AT

I remember, when I had purchased it in May (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...cruze-ltz.html), I would go for smoke breaks via office parking, just to say "Hi" to her. I still do it

Whenever there is a week or more gap, an itch starts, to floor the pedal for a looong drive. Just when you do it, you realize that the itch is two-way.

Coming from a background of driving Alto LX (no power steering, no power windows, puny AC consuming a lot of engine's power and a bit old), it was a giant leap of mankind. This car has an immense snob value. The kind of attention it garners could be similar to the attention hot blonde would get with an ageing grandpa, though I am not that old

I have completed almost 7000 kms (I know not much) in last 5 months and have loved every km of it in Cruze. Earlier, one-day trips were quite limited, due to tiredness and pain in the knees after driving Alto for long, but now, I look forward to a free weekend, to explore places that were deemed difficult.

During the course of last 5 months of ownership have visited Thoseghar, Kihim, Theur (Ashtavinayak), Malshej Ghat, Ozar (Ashtavinayak), Bhigwan, Wai (Dhom Dam) and within few days will visit Goa and planning for a road trip to Kerala in December. The desire to drive is just insatiable.

Had a share few brushes as well. Once while parked at FC Road outside British Library, a moron biker scratched the right ORVM. And, while going to Ozar a stray dog jumped near the left fog lamp and it got a minor dent. The dog seemed alright. Fixed both at a local workshop (Yuvraj motors @PCMC) costing 3k.

Now for the metrics, will start with the bad and end on awesome, as I am still biased.

The Bad
- Horns: How will a horn sound if someone chokes it just when it is about to go into high pitch - well thats how Cruze horns are. It sucks big time. And the Authorised dealers told changing the same (I wanted to install Skoda horns) might jeopardize the warranty. So, for now am living with it. Though on the positive note, its a motivation to use less horns

- Interior plastic: Though plastics work, and feels like it might last, but its looks are shoddy. Not for a C+ segment car.

- Inconsistent panel gaps: If you are too finicky, there are a tad bit of inconsistencies as far as perfection of maintaining the panel gaps are concerned.

- Cabin noise: The cabin is not insulated to my satisfaction, atleast. Many a times, I check on whether the windows are fully closed or not. Would have loved a better insulation.

- Rear headroom: Though not claustrophobic, but an oily-haired 6 footer will spoil the roof fabric, for sure.

- ICE: ICE is very basic. I generally set the music to 'Rock' mode. And my daughter increases volume everytime a dhinchak song plays. The speakers start vibrating dangerously. I am thinking of an upgrade soon-ish.

- Ground Clearance(165mm): Why GM/others why? For a C+ why cant you atleast give a GC of 180mm, atleast for India? There are a few "concrete" speedbreakers at Hinjewadi, which can freeze the daylights of the underbelly.

- Headlight: Have upgraded to 100/90. The stock headlights were 60/55, and with the speed Cruze jumps onto, its dangerous to drive with a puny headlight.

- Bottom Front exterior: No idea why GM stuck to fibre material in the front exterior. You are selling a beast, with a fibre shield??

- Hands free: The HU Console has the bluetooth BUT only for media playing. Fullto Bakwaas! The infrastructure is there to support hands free, but these guys missed on the practicality part completely.
The Good
+ AT box: Super convenience especially in bumper to bumper Hinjewadi traffic. Its the best knee balm doctor's ordered.

+ Steering mounted controls: I am not a serious music buff but particular about which song I want to hear. The steering controls works like a charm in this case.

+ Cruise control: Super feature on e-ways. The roller on the cruise control controls the acceleration as well, and you can neatly fold BOTH legs and drive. But only if the road is completely straight and completely traffic free.

+ Automatic Climate Control

+ Boot space: From an Alto mindset perspective, it is HUGE. Can easily gulp the luggage of 5 people.

+ Drive-ability: Super smooth. Especially the floor pedal just loves the acute angles of your right foot.

+ Rear sensors: Good feature, and a nice tup-tup whistle - with the frequency increasing once the obstruction nears.
The Awesome
* Exterior body: My first bump - I was reversing at office parking a tad bit fast, and hit a parked bike, which fell down. I was numb. First I picked up the bike and checked, it was alright. Then I proceeded to check the dent at the back. Nothing. Scratch? Nope. Boy, I was thrilled. Only if GM would have made similar arrangement at the bottom front pane..

* Sales and after sales: I am just amazed by the professionalism of Pashankar Auto. Not sure about other owners, but am overwhelmingly satisfied by their service. They treat you really well and are punctual and courteous. The cleaning, oil topping services have been top notch.

* SNOB value: Its amusing the quantum of stares that the car generates. I have had instances when I was moving towards my parked beast, and few guys just drooling at it.

* Suspension: Though GC is an issue with this car, riding through 'normal' potholes does not cause any noticeable body rolls, and you just sail through. One of the biggest reasons why I ditched Scorp for this.

* The torque, the thrust, the adrenaline: Yup, its FULLY LOADED. Run it through and you will know, it is a bloody beast.

* The brakes: This feature makes it even more deadly, since its coupled with a diesel maniac on steroids. Its your safety net though I must caution against rash driving.

* The radio antenna (or the lack of it): There ain’t any antenna yet ‘radio pakadta hai’? kaise kya? Some weird mesh exists on the rear windscreen. Great stuff. I had to change my Alto's antenna atleast thrice courtesy the over-enthusiastic cleaners.

* The sun/moon roof: Wife loves it, daughter loves it. I am yet to test it but can testify it for sure by their happy faces.
All in all, I am pretty much satisfied by the purchase and consider it to be a great VFM car, after 7k kms, yet dil maange more.

Note: Pics to follow

Last edited by rahul_sinha : 28th September 2011 at 12:08.
rahul_sinha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 14:08   #15
BANNED

Hi Rahul,
What is the FE you have been getting in Pune traffic? How much has your Cruze clocked now? Have you faced any GC issues under full load in the city or on the Highway till date? Any long trips that you have undertaken?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks