Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2012, 00:40   #76
BHPian

Re: VW Vento Highline TDI comes home !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
I suspected the noisy clutch on the day I took delivery. So I went to the VW service center today to have the auto lock activated, also asked the head mechanic to take a look at the clutch feel & noise.

A short test drive & he confirmed my suspicion. The clutch in the Vento being hydraulic, there is oil under high pressure in the line. VW had already sent out a circular to say that a few cars may have the noisy / pulsating clutch when depressed. They are already prepared with the remedy. The pipe which carries the clutch fluid will be replaced with one of another design / length / bend - they would also fix a bracket to ensure no pulsating is felt when the clutch is depressed.
Ricky, thanks for all your inputs. I'm from Gurgaon as well & just picked up my Vento four days back and from the beginning, I sensed my car has the same problem - it's almost like a motor whirring the moment the clutch is pressed. I plan to take it to the workshop, but was wondering if you can let me know the name of the head mechanic who diagnosed your problem - would just make things easier for me.

And would love to meet you in case there's a meetup in Gurgaon anytime soon. Thanks once again!
Old 3rd January 2012, 00:52   #77
BHPian

Ricky, I've also been contemplating getting 16" alloys with 205/50 tires - from what I've picked up, you need to reduce the profile by a factor of 10 for every inch one increases the tire size.

Since you seem to have done a lot of tinkering with your cars, was wondering if you could weigh in on this.

I'm scared of the ABS implementation here, so picked up the Trendline, and therefore, do want alloys, and if I am getting aftermarket ones, I though 16inchers would look far nicer. Also, I'm partial to the simple, spyder design, which only look nice in a larger rim size.

I also read somewhere that you had a racing chip on your Octavia. Any comments on that? Was thinking of getting the racechip one after about 5,000 kms.
Old 3rd January 2012, 11:18   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
Ricky, thanks for all your inputs. I'm from Gurgaon as well & just picked up my Vento four days back and from the beginning, I sensed my car has the same problem - it's almost like a motor whirring the moment the clutch is pressed. I plan to take it to the workshop, but was wondering if you can let me know the name of the head mechanic who diagnosed your problem - would just make things easier for me.

And would love to meet you in case there's a meetup in Gurgaon anytime soon. Thanks once again!

Hi, I got my car from Frontier VW Gurgaon, the head mechanic was a keralite who has quit & moved to "greener pastures" the present head mechanic is also a Keralite guy, whose name I do not recall.

You will need to push your case from the first day,else you will be told, that the sound in "normal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
Ricky, I've also been contemplating getting 16" alloys with 205/50 tires - from what I've picked up, you need to reduce the profile by a factor of 10 for every inch one increases the tire size.

Since you seem to have done a lot of tinkering with your cars, was wondering if you could weigh in on this.

I'm scared of the ABS implementation here, so picked up the Trendline, and therefore, do want alloys, and if I am getting aftermarket ones, I though 16inchers would look far nicer. Also, I'm partial to the simple, spyder design, which only look nice in a larger rim size.

I also read somewhere that you had a racing chip on your Octavia. Any comments on that? Was thinking of getting the racechip one after about 5,000 kms.
I am running 205/55/15's as mine was with alloys - the design of which I found acceptable. If you want to with 16's try & check out the tyre calculator at www.1010tires.com - the Overall diameter should not exceed or reduce by more than 2% at the most.

For alloys you have a Hijoin dealer in Gurgaon Atul Kataria Chowk, STAR WHEELS, he also has Yokohama, Bridgestone tyres..

As for the Octavia, I did not have a chip but a REMAP, which is way better than a tuning chip, you should refrain for atleast the initial first service. The Vento TDI has enough grunt to keep "most of us" happy, having said that a bhp bump never did any harm either For a tuning box you can use the Red Rooster dieseltronic or Race Dynamics both are said to be good.

Speed Sport is the authorised dealer for both products. Take a call !!

Happy motoring

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 3rd January 2012 at 11:23.
Old 4th January 2012, 10:47   #79
BHPian

Hi Ricky, Took my car to the workshop yesterday and after a weak 'this is typical crdi engine sound' attempt, they accepted there was a problem. Seems the problem is widespread but the company send the part only against the VIN no. of the specific car. They had 2 in reserve, against previous complaints and said I'll get mine in a week's time.

Otherwise, my experience with the workshop was quite pleasant: everything was clean, organized; even the mechanics attire was neat & tidy. I interacted with a passing mechanic and seemed quite knowledgeable and well-spoken. The moment my car got there, someone covered the steering and seats with polythene. All in all, this was much better than what I've been used to with GM & Maruti. Don't know if this is just the Gurgaon workshop or if this stands true across VW workshops.

Quote:
If you want to with 16's try & check out the tyre calculator at 1010TIRES.COM® — Tires and Wheels Absolute Authority. - the Overall diameter should not exceed or reduce by more than 2% at the most.

For alloys you have a Hijoin dealer in Gurgaon Atul Kataria Chowk, STAR WHEELS, he also has Yokohama, Bridgestone tyres..
I checked out the BBS & Hijoin website and I'm in love with a couple of 17" wheels. But that will reduce the profile to 40. I remember driving a friend's Cayman S, which also has profile 40 tires, and it seemed ok. But in everyday usage, would this low a profile be a problem?

Checked out the site (it's tires1010.com, btw ) and if I get 45 profile tires, the diameter difference from stock is 2.56%. Is that ok, and would that 45 vs. 40 profile make a difference, in your judgement (btw, the with 40 profile, the difference from stock is only 0.81%). Is diameter difference the only thing I should be looking at or should I watch out for something else as well.

Also, can the larger tires this have a detrimental effect on shocks/ brakes, etc? Checked with VW and their only point was that I'll need to get alignment done more frequently?!!

Quote:
As for the Octavia, I did not have a chip but a REMAP, which is way better than a tuning chip, you should refrain for atleast the initial first service. The Vento TDI has enough grunt to keep "most of us" happy, having said that a bhp bump never did any harm either For a tuning box you can use the Red Rooster dieseltronic or Race Dynamics both are said to be good.
Doesn't remap mean that you're playing around with stock ECU settings? Is that safe? Plus, doesn't that void warranty?

I was actually checking out Chiptuning von RaceChip - die Powerbox für sicheres Motor Tuning and it seemed a lot more promising than the others. And cheaper too, as long as I'm in Europe or having someone get it for me.

You're right Vento TDI has enough grunt but then, as you said, a bhp bump never harmed anyone

Irrespective, don't plan to get it done before at least 5,000 kms.

Thanks for all the help!

Cheers,
Old 4th January 2012, 16:46   #80
Senior - BHPian

I think anything over 16" would not be adviseable. Profile below 55/50 would not be good for the ride at all..

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 01:37   #81
BHPian

Quote:
I think anything over 16" would not be adviseable. Profile below 55/50 would not be good for the ride at all.
A friend informed me today that his 3-series runs on profile 45 tires, company fitted. I haven't driven it but have sat in the car, and I remember the ride being ok. Is it the case that since it is company fitted, they are compensating elsewhere, say, by making the suspension softer.

Basically, I understand where you are coming from, when you say that profile below 55/50 is unadvisable for Indian conditions, and this seems to be the accepted wisdom in tires. But I'm just questioning how much of this is based on fact, and how much of a compromise does one really end up making in ride, etc.

The Vento is my personal ride, so I'm not really that worried about rear-passengers etc. being uncomfortable, as long as I get handling advantages. And the looks

But then again, the car does have to tackle Gurgaon roads
Old 5th January 2012, 16:34   #82
Senior - BHPian

I was driving my Octavia on 225/45/17 in Gurgaon, but the ride was surely compromised, suspension life is also compromised. The drive has to be cautious especially in Gurgaon. Ultimately it is your call.

Cheers
Old 5th January 2012, 16:57   #83
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ricky,
Very embarrassed coming here rather late !
Even more embarrassed - congratulating you on the acquisition this late. But...

Congratulations ! Have a great time and many, many safe miles with the Vento.

Will now savour the report in full !
Old 5th January 2012, 17:06   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Ricky,
Very embarrassed coming here rather late !
Even more embarrassed - congratulating you on the acquisition this late. But...

Congratulations ! Have a great time and many, many safe miles with the Vento.

Will now savour the report in full !

Hi

No problem - der aye durust aaye
Thanks for the wishes

Cheers
Old 20th January 2012, 20:46   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I suspected the noisy clutch on the day I took delivery. So I went to the VW service center today to have the auto lock activated, also asked the head mechanic to take a look at the clutch feel & noise.

A short test drive & he confirmed my suspicion. The clutch in the Vento being hydraulic, there is oil under high pressure in the line. VW had already sent out a circular to say that a few cars may have the noisy / pulsating clutch when depressed. They are already prepared with the remedy. The pipe which carries the clutch fluid will be replaced with one of another design / length / bend - they would also fix a bracket to ensure no pulsating is felt when the clutch is depressed.

So I will get a call in around a week to have the same replaced. They do have the pipe but the bracket does not yet have a part number - hence it can only be ordered once that is done.

I just wish the PDI was more thorough so one did not have to go for such things even before one has done 250 kms on the new car.

Cheers
Hi Ricky, Can you please share the part no of the pipe replaced?

i have bought a new Vento. i also own a linea.

after driving the vento i immediately picked up the clutch problem.
whenever i try to accelerate and press the clutch to shift there is a dirty vibration and "khal khal khal" kind of irritating noise. believe me it sucks.

this was a shock for me and i never expected this kind of vague and unrefined clutch, atleast from VW. even then sumo clutch is better.

i mentioned this to SA and he was like " sir aapko hi na jane kya kya awaj ate hai"

Even i was under impression that after driving linea which has butter smooth refined clutch my expectations are too high and i am the only person who is hearing this kind of noise from vento.

it feels so crude that i dont feel that i am driving a 11lac rs sedan.

now that you and others too have confirmed this is a problem i am going to fight with my dealer and get this part replaced.

how is the feel of clutch now after this part was replaced?

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 20th January 2012 at 20:50.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2012, 17:16   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Hi Ricky, Can you please share the part no of the pipe replaced?

i have bought a new Vento. i also own a linea.

after driving the vento i immediately picked up the clutch problem.
whenever i try to accelerate and press the clutch to shift there is a dirty vibration and "khal khal khal" kind of irritating noise. believe me it sucks.

this was a shock for me and i never expected this kind of vague and unrefined clutch, atleast from VW. even then sumo clutch is better.

i mentioned this to SA and he was like " sir aapko hi na jane kya kya awaj ate hai"

Even i was under impression that after driving linea which has butter smooth refined clutch my expectations are too high and i am the only person who is hearing this kind of noise from vento.

it feels so crude that i dont feel that i am driving a 11lac rs sedan.

now that you and others too have confirmed this is a problem i am going to fight with my dealer and get this part replaced.

how is the feel of clutch now after this part was replaced?

The pipe/hose line - Part Number - 6R2721465R, Price INR 2072/89

You can give him this detail & then let us see his reaction

The clutch is super after the pipe replacement...

Hope this helps

cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2012, 13:02   #87
BHPian

Is there bluetooth integration. There seems to be a "call button" in the steering controls though? But do not find any information in the brochure on this.
Old 22nd January 2012, 17:22   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
Is there bluetooth integration. There seems to be a "call button" in the steering controls though? But do not find any information in the brochure on this.
sadly this is a fake button carried forward from some other compatible model.
Old 22nd January 2012, 19:08   #89
BHPian

Congratulations Ricky.
I bought a TDI HL one week ago. The manufactured month is Nov'11. I've become cautious now after reading the thread..
Let me check for the noise & update all again..

As far as the 'call button', its really sad to know that a world class manufacturer
has put dummy switch, that too in the steering.
Since the HU has BT capabilities, I'm just expecting VW to come up with a SW upgrade to atleast use this "call" option via BT.
Old 22nd January 2012, 21:16   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
sadly this is a fake button carried forward from some other compatible model.
That will be very annoying for a car owner not to have such a feature when there is a button present in there. For a car that costs 12L on road Bluetooth integration should not be a big deal to implement. Especially when the owners all have access to latest gadgets and they need all round connectivity.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks