Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2011, 19:10   #61
Senior - BHPian

Dot you too eh.
I remember us speaking about the City having this feature while our Civic's don't.
Speaking about shifting.
The pre-facelift Civic AT shifts like this
1st to 2nd 17 kmph
2nd to 3rd 32kmph
3rd to 4th 47kmph
4th to 5th around 57-60kmph

The City shifts up much more quickly
It's into second around 12-14 kmph
Third by 25-28kmph
Fourth around 40-42 kmph
Fifth around 50 kmph

So the City shifts up much more sooner than the Civic in its aim to extract a better mileage figure.
This along with it's smaller 1.5L I-VTEC help it extract some amazing mileage figures.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2011, 20:55   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab

Really, what year make was it?
I do not have this feature on my pre-facelift Civic VAT.
Do you think it can be added by some sort of update?
Ok I have some idea about this.

My civic model is august 2009 that was around the time of the facelift (I had the option of choosing either model and I went with pre facelift). My model allows using the paddle shift in D mode. To my knowledge this was introduced sometime in 2009 I think well before the face lift came in. However, earlier models did not have this. I think (although I could be wrong here), the models from which this feature appears only have P, R, N, D, S written alongside the gear shift whereas older models where Paddles didn't work in D mode had something extra written alongside the fear (can someone with an 07/08 model confirm whats written alongside the gear shift)?

Thanks

A.
Old 31st October 2011, 21:24   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77

I think (although I could be wrong here), the models from which this feature appears only have P, R, N, D, S written alongside the gear shift whereas older models where Paddles didn't work in D mode had something extra written alongside the fear (can someone with an 07/08 model confirm whats written alongside the gear shift)?
Here is a picture of an older model where paddles don't work in D mode. My car does not state paddle shift on the right side.

http://www.carwale.com/used/ViewAlbu...fileNo=S215390
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 16:29   #64
BHPian

Re: City Sleek or Civic Sense? A short comparison of the two

A late entrant on this thread but must say, Bro you have collated all the subtle differences beautifully.

vis-a-vis CIVIS is bound to be winner no doubts about that but was interesting to see the clean margin involved. It better be the winner when you pay more for it -isn't it ?

Anyway, I went to ANHC purely for the bugetory and recurring economy reasons, but heart always wanted CIVIC. But having used ANHC and additionally with this informative thread my heart is convinced with ANHC now .

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 1st November 2011 at 16:34.
RemingtonSteele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 23:18   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77
Here is a picture of an older model where paddles don't work in D mode. My car does not state paddle shift on the right
Thanks Axe77 for the clarification. So i am guessing here that some sort of update could probably enable this feature in the older AT Civics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele
A late entrant on this thread but must say, Bro you have collated all the subtle differences beautifully.

vis-a-vis CIVIS is bound to be winner no doubts about that but was interesting to see the clean margin involved. It better be the winner when you pay more for it -isn't it ?

Anyway, I went to ANHC purely for the bugetory and recurring economy reasons, but heart always wanted CIVIC. But having used ANHC and additionally with this informative thread my heart is convinced with ANHC now .
Hey Bro, and there you are. Yes pretty late indeed. Thank you for your positive comments.
And congratulations on crossing 500 posts.
You are right the Civic is clearly ahead. And rightly so.
But the City holds a strong case for itself. And if one zeroes in on a City they can be sure of a fantastic and fulfilling ownership experience.

Last edited by mdsaab : 1st November 2011 at 23:19.
Old 2nd November 2011, 10:00   #66
BANNED

Somewhat OT but member guptavis is quite desperate to find the recommended viscosity grade for his City in http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...l-oil-209.html . can someone help him, and also point out as to where are the viscosity grades specified.
Old 2nd November 2011, 10:22   #67
Senior - BHPian

Re: City Sleek or Civic Sense? Where is T-BHP heading to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
This is one high-point of the Civic. AFAIK, of all the engine options available on the Civic worldwide, the 1.8 i-VTEC is the best-selling option.
Not until you drive the US 2L 190 bhp 8,500 RPM limiter mated to a close ratio 6 speed GB one.
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:02   #68
BANNED

In any case the Bharat version of the Civic is detuned by about 10hp from the European one. Now that we have 93RON (post April 2010 is all cities) why, since the Euro 5 also asks for than only, sure beats me. It is just matter of reprogramming the ECU.
Old 2nd November 2011, 14:13   #69
dot
Senior - BHPian

Since we are discussing different engines, let me share my recent experience as a passenger in a 1.6L 2008 Civic. The engine looks exactly like the 1.8 sibling. During drives, the engine is absolutely quiet, but the acceleration felt slightly slower. However FE =10-11 in S'pore.
Old 11th November 2011, 00:28   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
That's a great idea. I will try and procure a spare parts price list of both the CITY and Civic. So far only free services on the golden beauty so not sure of the labour charges.
Did you get the spare parts price list, bro? Eagerly waiting to see how the Honda beauties stack up in their maintenance comparo.

Also, if you and Dot can shed some light on the driveability of the beauties during night time? Which one is better to drive at night, in terms of front/rear visibility, handling, etc.? What if it is a rainy night?
Old 12th November 2011, 11:40   #71
Team-BHP Support

We have a Honda City and a Honda Civic in our household too. I bought my pre-owned 2007 Honda Civic VMT 18 months back for a little over Rs. 9 Lacs. And last month, my brother bought a new Honda City SMT for about the same price. I have driven the Honda City for around 200 kms and the Honda Civic for around 15,000 kms. Here are my thoughts on Pre-Owned Honda Civic Vs New Honda City -

ADVANTAGE BRAND NEW HONDA CITY:

1) Better low-end torque and city driveability. The Honda City engine pulls cleanly from 800 - 1000 rpm even in the second gear. So there is no need to downshift to first gear over humps. In bumper to bumper traffic, just slipping the clutch will get the car moving - even without pressing the accelerator. In the comparison, Honda Civic has poor city driveability and you have to visit the first gear too often. However, you get used to the driving characteristics of the Honda Civic after a few thousand kms and I no longer feel that this is a huge negative.

2) Better low speed ride quality. The Honda City sails over bad patches of roads below 40 kmph. Even sharp ruts do not pass on the vibrations to the driver through the steering wheel. High speed ride quality is pretty decent too. In comparison, the Honda Civic has a lot harsher ride quality at low speeds. Doesn't ride like a Rs. 16 Lac car. However, the rear passengers have a comfortable ride because of softer suspension at the back.

3) I expect my brother's Honda City to have a lower maintenance cost in the first year because the car is new.However, my pre-owned Honda Civic needed new tyres, new clutch and new brake pads in the first year of ownership. The 6 CD changer conked out thrice and I have given up on it totally. I have now purchased a AUX-IN to USB convertor and play all my music from a pen drive. I also had to purchase new insurance policy within 2 months after I bought the car. All this cost me around Rs. 80,000 extra. But my second year of ownership has been light on the pocket so far.

4) Honda City gives better mileage - around 11 kmpl in the city and 15 kmpl on the highways. In comparison, my Honda Civic gives 9 kmpl in the city and 13 kmpl on the highway.

City Sleek or Civic Sense? A short comparison of the two-img_5190.jpg

DEUCE - No particular car has a significant advantage when comparing these parameters:

1) Both cars have equally rev-happy engines and hence the needle keeps visiting the 7,000 RPM levels quite often. However, the Honda Civic engine feels a little bit smoother (possibly because the Civic's engine is nicely run in, while City's engine is still new).

2) Price! We bought both the cars for around the same price. We both got ribbons, balloons and chocolates with our cars. However, the Honda City came with plastic all over the seats and that new car smell (which the Civic didn't have).

3) Rear seat comfort of both the cars is similar. But perhaps Honda City has a slight edge over the Civic because of that angled footrest at the back.

4) Although Civic has 6 speakers and City has 4, both the cars have similar sound quality.

5) Both the cars have equally good high speed ride quality.

6) City's boot space of 500 litres might be more than that of Civic's (430 litres), but the Civic too can pack in lot of stuff. You just need to be a bit creative and know where to place the luggage.

7) Driver ergonomics & gearshift quality of both the cars are similar, with the Civic having a slight edge.

8) In the looks department, both the cars have a striking front end, elegant side profile and fussy/boring/ugly back end.

ADVANTAGE PRE-OWNED CIVIC:

City Sleek or Civic Sense? A short comparison of the two-img_2624.jpg

1) Honda Civic has lot more features/equipment than the City. I get climate control, electrically foldable side view mirrors, fog lamps, alloy wheels, fatter grippier tyres, full leather interiors and a 6 CD MP3 player that works only for 3 months before conking off. However, my brother's Honda City has got stereo mounted audio controls & a GPS Navigation system (offered by the dealer).

2) Honda Civic has a lot nicer interiors, especially in the VMT trim. However, I'm not quite sure what the fuss is all about on Honda City's supposedly bad interior quality. Seems fine to me.

3) Steering feel and feedback for Honda Civic is a 9 out of 10. However, the EPS unit of Honda City, although light, is not too bad either. I get a fair amount of feedback from the wheel and one gets used to it after driving for sometime. However, at moderately high speeds (100 kmph) on a dual carriage way weaving through traffic, somebody who is used to driving a Honda Civic will find the Honda City a bit disconcerting.

4) Honda Civic is a much better handler than a Honda City. However, changing the shoes of the Honda City should bring it closer to the Civic. The stock skinny tyres on the Honda City however will suit 80% - 90% of the buyers.

VERDICT
:

There are 4 parameters where Honda City can be considered to be distinctly better than a pre-owned Honda Civic. And there are 4 parameters where the Honda Civic trumps the City. And in many other parameters, the comparison between the City & Civic is like comparing apples and oranges. Overall, in my opinion, Honda City is a better City car while Honda Civic is a better highway car.
SmartCat is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks