Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2016, 11:41   #256
BHPian

re: My new Toyota Altis D-4D: The first one on TBHP! EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Could be badly used/misused car you landed up with. Did you get it checked thoroughly before buying? I'm sure this problem plagued the initial batches of Corolla Altis & Liva/Etios as many of my friends/known persons experienced this in their vehicles. One of them used to carry a 5L Engine oil can in the boot of the car all the time
Well, i did my bit to check about the usage of the car and it was maintained in pristine condition. The past owner was an Australian Indian and he used the car with extreme care. I checked the service records and he went overboard to maintain the car. Every service of his included all the regular service tasks and more than that it included all the fancy treatments possible i.e.(AC Treatment, Engine Bay treatment, 3M Germikleen treatment etc.). The service records were also intact. After buying the car, i replaced the tire and during that time too, i checked about the condition and the service engineer told me that the car has been maintained in a good condition. I will fight this out with Toyota if its a problem with the engine. Luckily, i have a close friend who is in a leadership level of Toyota Kirloskar Motor(TKM) and if needed, he can help me escalate this to the highest level.

Until this is resolved, i will understand the trend of Oil consumption and carry with me a can of engine oil in the car(may be a 5L can). This way, it might add up another 2000/3000Rs in my maintenance but should work out fine
Old 17th April 2017, 21:40   #257
BHPian

Any recommendation for battery replacement brand/ model. Mine seem to be acting up after nearly 5 yrs of use
Old 19th April 2017, 12:14   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Any recommendation for battery replacement brand/ model. Mine seem to be acting up after nearly 5 yrs of use
Get an Amaron. Check on car battery expert dot com or battery bhai dot com.
Old 11th May 2017, 11:45   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The car underwent the 60k km service last week with no major issues so far. The total damage was Rs. 8500 inc taxes which comprised of the regular 60k kms service including oil change, oil filter, air filter and few miscellaneous things + labor.The average is still a healthy and consistent 17-18 kmpl in the Delhi-Gurgaon gridlock everyday that some of us also refer to as the Gurgaon expressway!
Hi mohit,
How is your car doing now? Request to keep updating as it's the only thread on Altis D.
I am contemplating buying a used one.
Old 11th May 2017, 13:59   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelchandra View Post
I will fight this out with Toyota if its a problem with the engine. Luckily, i have a close friend who is in a leadership level of Toyota Kirloskar Motor(TKM) and if needed, he can help me escalate this to the highest level.

Until this is resolved, i will understand the trend of Oil consumption and carry with me a can of engine oil in the car(may be a 5L can). This way, it might add up another 2000/3000Rs in my maintenance but should work out fine
How's it going now ? Did Toyota resolve this issue for you ?
Old 12th May 2017, 08:18   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Hi sorry for the late reply but even my car's battery lasted exactly 5 years and then I could see a slight effort during cranking and opted for a change rather than risking a break down. I opted for Exide only and its been almost 1.5 years now with no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Hi mohit,
How is your car doing now? Request to keep updating as it's the only thread on Altis D.
I am contemplating buying a used one.
Hey the car is doing as good as day 1. It is used slightly less these days and I think is nearing the 70k kms mark. I haven't faced any major issues till date and have only carried out periodic engine oil change. Only the front brake pads have been changed once and everything else is stock. One small issue I had faced was AC gas leak which had first occurred in 2012 approximately 6 months into the purchase. Toyota couldn't find any leak as such and refilled the gas and problem was solved but only to recur in 2014. Again they couldn't find anything wrong and refilled. It had been working fine till now and everyone in the family swears by the cooling capacity of the AC. Co-incidentally yesterday I noticed that the cooling is again lacking and would be taking it to the service centre over the weekend. Last time they told that they will open the whole dashboard next time to see for any leak around the cooling coil but the problem didn't occur since 2014. This time around too, I would rather just go for a refill than let them open the dash and risk rattles later.

All in all I am very happy with the car. Spacious, comfortable, excellent FE, affordable service cost. Only reason for now buying it is if you intend to drive fast. It won't respond to your throttle inputs the way you would expect a Jetta or Cruze to or probably even a City or Vento.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 13:17   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Service update

The last year the car has seen less running as I try to consciously use the BMW more since the BSI pack is active on that and naturally it is more fun to drive. So in the last year the car has only run 6700 kms but still I went ahead and got it serviced according to the 70k kms schedule.

Appointment booking and handing over the car was a breeze at Galaxy Toyota, Moti nagar as always. There is nothing wrong with the car and the regular service costed only Rs. 4300. The service quality was satisfactory. The only small downside was that for the first time, the SA at Toyota tried selling me useless stuff to inflate the bill like injector cleaning and interior disinfection treatment.

All in all the car still runs as new and both me and my father feel this was the best decision that we took. This car is a keeper.

Point to note: My car is still running on stock rear brake pads and all 4 discs. Only the front brake pads were changed in the last service. So this is in contrary to a lot of other reported user experiences where the brakes were turning out to be the achille's heel of the Altis.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 21:57   #263

Hi. I saw a 2012 corolla D4D. any advice on price and things to observe. it's about 50k run. all advice welcome please. can the stock audio support reverse camera?
Old 24th December 2018, 22:36   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Long overdue update:

Let me first apologize for the long delay that has crept in the ownership thread of this wonderful car. A lot has changed in life and all in all it has become just too busy to allow for any free time to update the thread. But better late than never.

The car just does not stops appealing to you and is everything that the brand Toyota stands for. It is because of this unmatched quality that I would always tend to favour Toyota as a brand ( even though I voted in the negative on the other thread asking if I would limit myself to a single brand). The Altis has just replaced the Innova that we owned earlier, offering us the same peace of mind, go anywhere capability ( of-course except hardcore off roading), great comfort and bullet proof reliability. The back seat is supremely comfortable, overall the car is just so spacious and the boot swallows luggage without a single hiccup.

As of last evening the car has completed 85500 kms. From last 2 years now, its been driven by my father. This weekend I had to go to my in-laws place in Punjab and the better half had clearly called and told that she had 7 pieces of luggage ( 2 big suitcases and the rest medium sized) to be brought back to Delhi. It was more of an indirect message not to even think of taking out the BMW. After an initial sigh of agony ( yes the 320d is addicting to drive and a rare lost opportunity to open it up on the highway was a downer), the Altis became the default choice. So after a hiatus of close to 2 years, barring a few small random trips, I took the Altis out. Got it tanked up and ensured that the tyres are all running on correct pressures. 15-20 kms into the journey and all the old memories of driving it daily for 5 years/55k kms came back. The initial sigh had turned back into a peaceful smile ( against the grin that one has in the 320d). The carpet like ride quality and stable ride quality at legal speeds just translates into a very calm drive. I think one of the best decisions that I had taken was to change the tyres to Michelin XM2. They offer amazing cushioning and are very silent tyres compared to the stock Bridgestones that the car had come with. Completed the journey ( total of 920 kms from door to door) and as always it was absolutely glitch free. Well laid out roads, long jams in the innumerable small junctions while exiting and entering Delhi, half hour long queues at the toll plazas and even the gravel roads that one needs to resort to deal with the maddening diversions and traffic jams - the car just doesn’t complain even though we were 4 adults with luggage loaded to the brim. The icing on the cake is the fuel efficiency in the end - it had returned 20.4 kmpl and given the kind of traffic jams we encountered, it was simply too good.

I have tried to maintain the car very well. The interiors are in top notch condition and as good as day 1. The exteriors is a different story and I have honestly given up on them in all my cars because people in Delhi just do not respect your property. Vandalism is one of the favorite hobby here and the car has accumulated its fair share of scratches in these last 7 years.

The last service was done in July this year with odometer at 76k kms ( 80k kms service). Finally the brake pads and discs were changed in my car. Yes, contrary to the multiple other reports on the forum and elsewhere that this car eats its brakes very fast, my car was still running on stock pads and discs all along without any issue. From the time I had hit 20k kms on the odometer, I used to dread every time the car went for a service, that this time they are going to tell me to change them. But to my surprise it used to pass each time ( and yes I categorically used to ask them to take a look at the brakes and document the thickness or any uneven wear and tear). I think only the rear brake pads had been changed previously around the 40k kms mark (would need to search for it).

Since the car has completed 7 years this September, the NGT ghost started to haunt us. Now the thing that NGT has managed to achieve is to throw the used car market of Delhi NCR in complete chaos. Threads like "when to sell your used car" have just lost their significance in the NCR region. We were being forced to sell off an otherwise perfectly well maintained car at a loss against our will. Unsure of whether to sell it off now or keep driving it for another 2 years and then sell it or still the last option of just keep driving it and hope that no one stops you or alternatively registering it out of state in my name only - multiple ideas started coming to mind with no single one having a clear advantage on the other. Taking a tough call, I felt that now would be the correct time to sell it off and perhaps also opt for an AT car. I even started flirting with the multiple candidates that could be a possible replacement, latest being the Harrier and X1 but that is not relevant to this thread. Now previously, a couple of years back, I had to sell my Innova - again due to the NGT rule as it had entered its 10th year. The response on Olx was phenomenal for it and within a day I sold it off, of course at a lesser price than it would have ideally fetched in the non-NGT era.

But to my shock and disappointment, the response this time was extremely poor. Not in terms of enquiries. But in terms of pricing. Right from cars24 to individual buyers from outside states, offered ridiculously low prices, barring a few who offered better but still significantly below the expected price I wanted. From the multiple discussions I had with different potential buyers, I realized that the condition of your car, its service history etc has got no real advantage in the used car market. People are just trying to low-ball you into parting ways with your ride at a ridiculously low price citing the NGT. And I do not blame them. There must be enough sellers in Delhi who was in the panic mode and let go off their cars at such low prices. But to me it felt just wrong. I have taken care of this car personally, barring last 2 years, and I would not be left with a feeling of getting blackmailed into selling the car. As a result, I had mentally decided not to sell it off below my expected price ( which I had arrived at considering the NGT rule). Hence, the car has been listed but not sold.
Why am I boring you with all this needless information? After the drive ( a total of 920 kms and 20 hours over the weekend), I felt the decision to sell is not right. The car drives like new, has never given any trouble and is extremely spacious, comfortable and reliable all at the same time. Selling it and that too at a loss, makes little sense. Also as of now, there is hardly any real time enforcement of this ban going on. So I might as well keep driving it and later get it re-registered outside Delhi to be on the safe side.

To rejuvenate things a bit, I have planned the following additions to the car:
1. Floor mats.
2. A reversing camera with parking sensors.
3. Dash camera.

Few pictures I clicked during the trip ( please pardon me for the quality as these are simple point and shoot kind of shots):

It just swallows luggage:
My new Toyota Altis D-4D: The first one on TBHP! EDIT: Sold!-20181223_112149.jpg
My new Toyota Altis D-4D: The first one on TBHP! EDIT: Sold!-20181223_112204.jpg

Probably the best angle to look at it:
My new Toyota Altis D-4D: The first one on TBHP! EDIT: Sold!-20181223_112218.jpg
My new Toyota Altis D-4D: The first one on TBHP! EDIT: Sold!-20181223_154648.jpg

Interiors as good as day 1:
My new Toyota Altis D-4D: The first one on TBHP! EDIT: Sold!-20181223_112237.jpg

Many more kms to go:
My new Toyota Altis D-4D: The first one on TBHP! EDIT: Sold!-20181223_204923.jpg

The MID was off by close to 2 kmpl as I calculated the FE for this trip by tank to tank method.
drmohitg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 07:28   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

10000 kms up in 7 months since the last service was done with the odometer at 86k kms. Hence gave the car for servicing yesterday for the 90k km service. As always the experience at Galaxy Toyota was a breeze. Only thing apart was like last time they added a couple of extras (diesel injector cleaning this time) which they try to sell as recommended but on pressing further, mention that its recommended by them and not Toyota per se.

Anyways the service comprised off the basic things: Engine oil, filter and AC filter. A couple of bulbs were not working so got them replaced too.

Total cost including taxes came to Rs. 7000 which I feel is pretty reasonable for a D segment car on a yearly basis.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 22:06   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

The Final Update

Time Flies! Sept 2011 - July 2019. 8 long years and 94k kms of flawless service and finally we part ways, thanks to the NGT. Sold the car today for pittance as used car market prices have crashed in NCR since one is forced to sell out of state. And what a co-incidence that it too found a new home in the state of Kerala where 3 years back its elder cousin, Innova, went.

It is an emotional moment to see your car being driven away by someone else knowing that you will never see it again. Something that has been at your service for last 8 years, more so since it was with me during my post graduation and a lot of college memories are associated with it. Hoping it will serve the new owners well.

It is indeed disappointing to know that Toyota isn't planning to continue the Altis in the near future. It is one of the best cars that they have made.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th July 2019 at 06:30. Reason: As requested
drmohitg is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 21st July 2019, 17:01   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

The replacement car for the Altis has arrived and hence sharing the same here. After a gap of 2 decades, a Maruti car comes in the garage. The last one was the 1st generation Zen way back in 1994-95. And now comes the Vitara Brezza ZDI AMT. It wasn't really in the scheme of things but happened to get an extremely mouth watering deal on this car and hence bought it home.

Model: Vitara Brezza ZDI AGS (AMT)
Year: 2018
Odometer: 9300 kms
Attached Thumbnails
My new Toyota Altis D-4D: The first one on TBHP! EDIT: Sold!-img20190721wa0006.jpg  

My new Toyota Altis D-4D: The first one on TBHP! EDIT: Sold!-img20190721wa0003.jpg  

My new Toyota Altis D-4D: The first one on TBHP! EDIT: Sold!-img20190721wa0004.jpg  

drmohitg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 15:36   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My new Toyota Altis D-4D: The first one on TBHP! EDIT: Sold!

Unfortunate turn of events

What a week it has been. Just as we welcomed the new entrant into the garage, destiny had other plans. And for the first time in our lives, the Brezza got stolen yesterday night from outside our house. A neighbour's Dzire was also taken along. The thief must be a Maruti loyalist!

Have registered an FIR but of-course I know there is near zero chance of the car's recovery.

A fellow BHPian made a very valid point today. Why do we pay for extra equipment like engine immobiliser etc. which proved to be of no deterrence to the car thieves. No alarm nothing. The car simply vanished.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 15:52   #269
BHPian

Quote:

A fellow BHPian made a very valid point today. Why do we pay for extra equipment like engine immobiliser etc. which proved to be of no deterrence to the car thieves. No alarm nothing. The car simply vanished.
I hope that the cops are able to find your car. I guess installing a GPS tracker would be a wise idea till all cars become smart cars.
KL01toKA03 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 16:16   #270
BHPian

Quote:

What a week it has been. Just as we welcomed the new entrant into the garage, destiny had other plans. And for the first time in our lives, the Brezza got stolen yesterday night from outside our house. A neighbour's Dzire was also taken along. The thief must be a Maruti loyalist!

Have registered an FIR but of-course I know there is near zero chance of the car's recovery.

Really sad to hear about this. I thought cars getting stolen from cities was a thing of the past, but clearly not. My car has no central locking, nothing and I keep it parked outside my house. I used to be really paranoid previously, but now I've found a new hack. I had an old smartphone lying at home. Took it, put a sim in it and activated a data plan. The cellphone is kept on silent permanently, and the data connection is kept on. The phone is hidden below the centre console casing, just behind the gear lever. I take the phone out whenever I'm driving and charge it, and the rest of the time it stays there. If by chance the car ever gets stolen, I can use my phone to track the phone in the car, and thereby find the car itself. Of course, it won't help if the car's stripped right after it gets stolen and the thieves find the phone, but it's worth a shot.

I'm hoping you hadn't kept any other valuables in the car, man. Keeping fingers crossed, and hoping the police will be able to track the car down.

Last edited by boniver : 26th July 2019 at 16:29.
boniver is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed