Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2011, 18:11   #16
BHPian

Re: FORD FIGO: Story of a Defective LEMON (1.2yrs of stressful ownership)

I myself have a figo and other than the squeaky sound and a few rattles and underbody scraping i don't have any of the other issues list here. I think you have been given an abused car.

About the squeaky sound when the car was around 22k the ford guys applied some kind of grease/cleaning of the shocks(they said that some kind of pad has to be put in the springs/shock but that was not available at that point of time) and the sounds went away. At the 30K service,some kind of pad has apparently been put to ensure that the squeaky sound does not come. Keeping my fingers crossed though.

The underbody scraping is an issue with airpressure mostly and when it starts scraping it's a signal for me to check airpressure. Have to ensure that it doesn't go below 30. This was an issue in chennai but in tvm the scraping is pretty rare.

Rattles are there but some of them are because the seatbelt fasteners are not in proper position. It's not that bad actually and my bro tells me that i have obsessive/compulsive disorder when it comes to rattles . Somehow i am the only one in my family who really notices the rattles.

Figo is built to a price but so are other cars in the segment including the sales leaders like swift/indica/i20 and the ritz.

Last edited by vishnurp99 : 2nd October 2011 at 18:14.
Old 2nd October 2011, 18:14   #17
BHPian

Sorry to hear about the issues you are facing with your FIGO. Ford cars have had a history of similar issues.
I would suggest, instead of going to the service center / dealer take your issues directly with some ombudsman department at FORD. Probably they would try to send someone more technical.
Old 2nd October 2011, 18:25   #18
BHPian

@ ankurvirmani I can't agree with your quote about ford having a history of similar issues.

Please elaborate on that post and explain how you got this information. I am prepared to bet that you have never owned a ford car.

I have 3 cars a figo, a fiesta and a santro currently. I used to have a jellybean zen/palio before the santro. From my experience, ford is as good or as bad as maruti or hyundai.
Old 2nd October 2011, 18:45   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh_Malhotra View Post
'Car of the Year' Cars cant be called defective?
When problems develop over a period of time, say 6-10 months, one cannot foresee the problems when granting a car of the year status. Overall, it was a good offering for people who wanted a Ford but, yes, I agree they should have maintained at least the basic responsibility when dealing with problems.

Quote:
Even if it shares this issues with all its siblings, should we just neglect?

Figo is a good car at a good price. Some tolerate its problems though i am done with it after having borne such abysmal service and torture from ford and repeated issues.
In a VFM car, if you car runs through its warranty period without problems but then develops rattles and squeaks, that is quite acceptable. The owners can get the rattling attended to but must don't. However, when a vehicle is under warranty, I would expect all problems attended to - a warranty is a form of prepaid repair charge that you agree to pay irrespective of whether you actually need repairs or not, and in the event that you do have a problem, you have a right to something that you paid for.
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:14   #20
BHPian

Re: Ford Figo : Story of a Defective LEMON (1.2yrs of stressful ownership)

Hi Dinesh!

Welcome to the "Figo Issues Club". I am myself a Figo owner for past one year now (Oct 17) and I am facing quite a few similar issues with my Figo TDCi Titanium.

Had put a post on TBHP sometime back (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...go-tdci-2.html)

How I came out of those issues? Simple, I drove an Alto for couple of days in a line and when I sat in my Figo, everything started feeling so pleasant!!! Have stopped complaining now!!! (Just kidding)

There are a few things, like the hand brake issue, please get it rectified/replaced or whatever helps to address it at the earliest.

All the best for your fight the A.S.S .. please do keep us posted ...
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

@Dinesh - Sorry to read about the issues being faced by you. I was surprised by it and then after you started the thread was even more surprised that other Figo owners also have reported some of the same issues. Hope that all your issues are resolved soon.

I think instead of having separate threads it would be helpful to have a common thread - "Known Issues with Ford Figo". This would help in a common discussion of the issues and clarifications from different members.
Old 2nd October 2011, 20:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

What the what! I dont mean any offense to you Captain. I am just somewhat dazed. How can a product with so many problems be such a huge hit in the market?

Heh. Yeah but dont go for those cheap chinese imitation sound systems. You might end up signing your death warrant there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
So should we gather from the last few posts that the Figo in question is NOT a lemon and shares these problems with all its siblings? Then how come we have so many happy owners here on the forums and otherwise? I have heard guys like anilisanil and ajnagpur positively gush about their Figos at the Pune meets! There's more to this than meets the eye. After all the Figo was Car of the Year 2010 on T-BHP!
Haha, No-no I think I didn't phrase my words right let me correct myself here.
These issues are pretty common in all the figos.
My gut tells me that atleast 80% of the figos have all the problems reported here by us and only a handful of the owners like myself, Dinesh, vinboy and maybe a few others are smart enough to know that these issues are unacceptable for any new car.
Ford doesn't want to accept these problems and puts us in a little box and wants to wait until warranty of the car ends.

So if you look at it that way his car is not a lemon. We should start counting how many good "trouble free" figos are being made!!
There was a post here by another Bhpian who just took delivery of his white figo and from the very first day the head light assembly is fogging up!
Let me see if I can find that post.

Rest of our county follows the herd mentality. My neighbor says its good so it must be good. Its got car of the year award so it must be a wonderful troublefree car to own. And then there are others who just dont care.

Thanks for the reply Dinesh, and let me welcome you aboard the troubled figos club.

Quote:
Mine got rectified too a large extent after visiting the dealership over and over again for rectification of the same issue and going through the acceptance/non acknowledgement 'drama' created by dealership and Ford`s RM for western region both.
some sound still there... but Yes ! the music system helps in this case.
Man if you ever find a fix to these then please let me know

Quote:
mine is hard from day 1. drove a 30000kms driven figo yesterday. its much more precise and smooth. even Ford`s SA acknowledged it and they have been acknowledging the same from past many times, but Yet i await a proper solution of the same.

Trust me they will get more rough and Hard as you reach towards the 30,000kms mark as your`s have already started to get rough now.
You sir are starting to scare me. I fear what will happen tomorrow.

Quote:
Their body shop is the worst. people are unaccountable for their mistakes and most of the times they simply ignore your request for detailed description for the reason such misdeeds occurring at service bay or bodyshop for that matter.
After a small paint job I noticed that parts of the door had no paint & no primer I could see the bare metal of the body.

Quote:
mine were never changed. Feels totally uninspiring. I have given up on this issue.
ah OK, Mine were changed at 7,000 or something because the original ones were making too much sound.

Quote:
when i apply brake at a slow speed, it makes sound as if these brakes are of some 10 year old lorry. Hand Brakes especially during monsoon, get stuck on to tyres. its like even if disengage the HANDBRAKE, it would still remain applied on the car`s wheels and would raise the whole back side of the car and only after heavy acceleration, it would let the car loose.

its happening from past 2 monsoons that i have faced with this car.
This happened only once, when I didn't use the car for 6-7 days but thankfully never happened again.

Quote:
did they provide any resolution for the same ?
I haven't gone to them yet. Booking a service slot has become more difficult than getting an appointment with a good doctor these days.

Quote:
They say that to me very bluntly. i say i cant accept such things. my friends mock me due to this man.
Apparently there is a fix to this problem. The newer figos don't have this problem. The springs are different and they don't make any kar kar sounds. But you will have to really push them to these changed.
I have bigger issues to handle like the headlights fogging up the leak in the front windshield.

Quote:
anyways though its a really bad car... engine is good though
Im not so lucky, I drive a 1.2 Petrol! the engine is the worst engine among the 1.2s

I have just 1 question to all figo owners here, What happens when warranty on the car ends? I can see both small and big major parts failing withing the first year. What happens in 3-4 years?

In our old car parts started failing at only 80,000 KM (7-9 years) of trouble free ownership.

Here is the link and picture to the headlamps fogging up on a new figo.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...go-petrol.html

Last edited by Captain Slow : 2nd October 2011 at 20:18.
Old 2nd October 2011, 20:20   #23
BHPian

Apart from the handbrake and drivers seat mounting issue, rest of the issues seems to be quality issues or the service centers not competent to fix the problems. These issues crop up during the initial period of launch for any high volume car. Question is whether the 2011 cars have these problems? If issue like misting of headlamps are still present in current cars, then it is a serious quality lapse from Ford's part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
How I came out of those issues? Simple, I drove an Alto for couple of days in a line and when I sat in my Figo, everything started feeling so pleasant!!! Have stopped complaining now!!! (Just kidding)
LOL! And what car were you driving before?
Old 2nd October 2011, 22:53   #24
Team-BHP Support

Yep, the headlights get fogged in my car as well.

I also have the poor gear shift quality which has gotten hard even after getting all the cables adjusted, lower FE of 14kmpl and creaky suspension.

The rear C-pillar rattle was rectified in the last service and 2000kms later not appeared again.

The rear wiper has a mind of it's own and sometimes stops in the middle. The rear wiper if you forget to turn it off which invariably does happen reminds you after a while by a strange croaking sound. Give it a few minutes rest and its back to being quiet.

The AC compress cutoff at idle in the diesel which will cause the car to jerk as if it's been rear ended. This is noticeable when waiting at a signal.

The suspension has a very high rebound so going over small speed breakers a little fast will cause a huge thud from the left side when there is no one else but driver in the car. With a passenger this will not happen.

The car is extremely sensitive to tyre pressures. Any loss in pressure by 2-3psi in anyone tyre dramatically affects performance and the gears became a pain to shift. The gears slot in very hard. Fill up all tyres back to 33psi and all is well.

Not to mention my car has also once displayed the stalling while downshifting at 80kmph from 5th to 4th gear while overtaking a volvo bus.

The 2 major issues I see with my car are the stalling which I saw only once on a cold engine and the hard hear shifts.

Apart from those 2 other problems are design issues and one has to live with them and/or drive around them. For example the suspension thud sound is easy to fix if you find the sweet speed to go over a bump at which it doesnt occur. Needs a bit of practice.

Another thing is the suicide mud flaps. 1yr and not a single mud flap has been murdered by me. I scraped it a few times after which just drove a little more carefully.

Most of the cars have some flaw or the other. We just need to work around them. Even my Altis has a list of things I don't like but have learnt to live with it and drive around the problem.
Old 2nd October 2011, 23:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post

Here is the link and picture to the headlamps fogging up on a new figo.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...go-petrol.html

Guys hold your horses at least on the headlamp fogging issue, as per the Ford manual (blue one) if fogging happens then just by switching on the headlamp for some time will clear the fogging. Hence this is not a manufacturing defect as per Ford officially
Old 3rd October 2011, 00:08   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Guys hold your horses at least on the headlamp fogging issue, as per the Ford manual (blue one) if fogging happens then just by switching on the headlamp for some time will clear the fogging. Hence this is not a manufacturing defect as per Ford officially
Had the same issue with my headlamps and now also in tail lamps.
drove for nearly 20 days with it and guess what even after rains have already left us for good, the mist formation was still there.

headlamps were replaced, now the problem is with tail lamps !
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Yep, the headlights get fogged in my car as well.

I also have the poor gear shift quality which has gotten hard even after getting all the cables adjusted, lower FE of 14kmpl and creaky suspension.

The rear C-pillar rattle was rectified in the last service and 2000kms later not appeared again.

The rear wiper has a mind of it's own and sometimes stops in the middle. The rear wiper if you forget to turn it off which invariably does happen reminds you after a while by a strange croaking sound. Give it a few minutes rest and its back to being quiet.

The AC compress cutoff at idle in the diesel which will cause the car to jerk as if it's been rear ended. This is noticeable when waiting at a signal.

The suspension has a very high rebound so going over small speed breakers a little fast will cause a huge thud from the left side when there is no one else but driver in the car. With a passenger this will not happen.

The car is extremely sensitive to tyre pressures. Any loss in pressure by 2-3psi in anyone tyre dramatically affects performance and the gears became a pain to shift. The gears slot in very hard. Fill up all tyres back to 33psi and all is well.

Not to mention my car has also once displayed the stalling while downshifting at 80kmph from 5th to 4th gear while overtaking a volvo bus.

The 2 major issues I see with my car are the stalling which I saw only once on a cold engine and the hard hear shifts.

Apart from those 2 other problems are design issues and one has to live with them and/or drive around them. For example the suspension thud sound is easy to fix if you find the sweet speed to go over a bump at which it doesnt occur. Needs a bit of practice.

Another thing is the suicide mud flaps. 1yr and not a single mud flap has been murdered by me. I scraped it a few times after which just drove a little more carefully.

Most of the cars have some flaw or the other. We just need to work around them. Even my Altis has a list of things I don't like but have learnt to live with it and drive around the problem.
You serious about the altis having flaws? I always saw it as a perfect car
Did the A.S.S offer any solution for the fogged headlamps ?
I agree that these are design flaws but they arent doing much to fix them.
You are lucky Vid, 9 out of 10 figos have broken mud flaps

Dear tj123
Where is it mentioned about the fogging in the manual ?

Quote:
Had the same issue with my headlamps and now also in tail lamps.
drove for nearly 20 days with it and guess what even after rains have already left us for good, the mist formation was still there.

headlamps were replaced, now the problem is with tail lamps !
The taillamps are fine in my car but the headlamps get fogged up even if I wash the car with a bucket of water.
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There are many more issues.. just please go through the multiupload link attached here at the end of this post.

i have attached a .zip file containing my vehicles history, a set of mails that i`d sent to ford for help, the current issue that my car`s stuck on, the acknowledgement by FORD`s SA as of today etc etc..

somehow after having 6hrs of driving (126kms) today (from vashi to thane, then to JNPT and then to Panvel) to convince FORD`s SA of the existence of issues that i`d raised complaint for, has totally left me drained out and certainly with my above post i clearly have missed on writing with my usual flare, but what to do ? i feel like being brain-dead now !

sorry for the inconvenience guys..

Please Members of T-BHP go through all of it if you can find time and please let me know...

Have I been served a LEMON here ?
1: Squeaking sound from Rear portion of the car --->

it got rectified only after 5 times they performed repairs on it and failing. Replacement worked!

Yes, I had this issue, but solved now.

2: Gear Lever being too hard --->

NO

3: Mist & Fog composition in Headlamps --->

No

4: Rattling noises from dashboard, steering area, rear seats, front speaker compartments --->

Happens on bad roads.

5: Mis-Alignment of bumper after accident repair job performed, Paint mis-match, lots of free DENTS as gift from dealership itself, seat-belt lock was broken, pinholes formed on all paint job done, paint peeling off from car`s exterior, paint bubble formation.. they are just too many related to paint especially... --->

Not a manufacturing defect

6: Soft Brakes --->

Braking distance is amongst the best for Figo, at least in Titanium. But things are relative.

7: Ac Cooling not Optimally --->

No such issue

8: Hitch Hitch Hitch sound from space between the door and roof on driver side --->

Persists, but ignored.

9: Bad Pickup was notified --->

Mine is 1.4, so cannot comment.

10: SOUND coming after pressing brakes, clutch and handbrake --->

What type of sound?

11: Rear washer failed twice --->

Lemon

12: Water Leakage from right rear door-beadings and driver`s footwell --->

Lemon

13: Horn gone bad (twice) --->

Known issue, TSB issued.

14:
Suspensions making noise, they still do, but FORD said today the source are Handbrakes now --->

Known issue, TSB was issued for this.

15: Most CRITICAL one... Handbrake failure (still persists after making complaints in first few months of purchase and again numerous times and yet today it was acknowledged by FORD`s SA on 1st OCT 2011 in writing of still existing) --->

Lemon.

16: Front Driver Seat had loose bolts. lost its position on its own while driving and i was freaking that close to DEATH ! --->

Not too sure, but if you change the position of seat by sliding or inclining, this did happen. Ever since, I change the position and check the locking by pulling in and out.

17:
Air Bag Safety Light ON --->

Happened to me.

18: Foul Smell from AC --->

Not a manufacturing defect.

19: Left rear door making noise when someone sits --->

No such issue.

20: KHAS KHAS sound when car starts ALTERNATOR belt issue --->

Not too sure.

21: My car doesn't only scrape but bottoms out the chassis with a nice thud sound --->

Never had any such issue, what is your PSI on the tires?

21: Front right door lock has failed now --->

Lemon.

So except for a few rattles and stalling problem, there are no such issues for my car. Mine is July '10 model with 21K on ODO. I was indeed irritated by squeaks, but was compensated by Ford by a free service, so I have no complaints.

Also considering the Indian roads and the way I drive, I for one know that a part or two might go loose and rattle. But my rattles are not that bad, it is just those coins and other hard things I put in glove box that amplifies the effect actually.

But this thread makes me think :P

Last edited by anilisanil : 3rd October 2011 at 10:28.
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:27   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
You serious about the altis having flaws? I always saw it as a perfect car
Did the A.S.S offer any solution for the fogged headlamps ?
I agree that these are design flaws but they arent doing much to fix them.
You are lucky Vid, 9 out of 10 figos have broken mud flaps
There's no solution for the fogged headlamps. It's condensation and it means that the seal around the headlamp is not perfect. A sign of cost cutting. If they have fixed it in newer cars then we could change it to those. You will notice that it fogs up only around the corners, a clear sign of design flaw.

You can save the mudflaps buy just going that much slower over small speed breakers and being a bit more careful. Also as I believe the new rubber flexi mudflaps are also available now instead of plastic ones.

ps: Yes even the Altis has flaws. Go check out my ownership review where I have pointed out all the issues faced till date. Ofcourse the issues are much lesser in number and also less irritating.
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:27   #30
BHPian

1: Squeaking sound from Rear portion of the car --->

"Rectified" twice by *** - Still sounding!

2: Gear Lever being too hard --->

Nope - Butter and Hot knife!

3: Mist & Fog composition in Headlamps --->

Yes - But just during a pressure wash- Solved it by switching on the lamp- Didn't notice it again

4: Rattling noises from dashboard, steering area, rear seats, front speaker compartments --->

Happens, Happens and happens again - Complained in all services and checkups! Still the reply from *** is "We were not able to find the noise". Grrrr.....

5: Mis-Alignment of bumper after accident repair job performed, Paint mis-match, lots of free DENTS as gift from dealership itself, seat-belt lock was broken, pinholes formed on all paint job done, paint peeling off from car`s exterior, paint bubble formation.. they are just too many related to paint especially... --->

No accidents till now!

6: Soft Brakes --->

Didn'tfeel so. No sound also from brakes. No hard braking - Sedate driver

7: Ac Cooling not Optimally --->

Optimal "iceland" cooling! Dont know whether it is V-Kool blocking sun or AC being good!

8: Hitch Hitch Hitch sound from space between the door and roof on driver side --->

Persists,complained - but *** ignored - Their ears cant sense sounds it seems!

9: Bad Pickup was notified --->

Nice pulling for a 1.2 - Leaps after 2.5K rpm

10: SOUND coming after pressing brakes, clutch and handbrake --->

Clutch spring sounds like 50 year old jeep! The spring sound is there!

11: Rear washer failed twice --->

Wiper blades failed - Both front and rear! Will be replacing with BOSCH ones before next rainy season! Sorry - Don't believe in FORD part!

12: Water Leakage from right rear door-beadings and driver`s footwell --->

Not in mine!

13: Horn gone bad (twice) --->

Known issue.

14:
Suspensions making noise, they still do, but FORD said today the source are Handbrakes now --->

Makes sound! And a lot of sound when someone sits. Pointed it out on last service - They asked me to replicate it! They said it doesn't exist!

15: Most CRITICAL one... Handbrake failure (still persists after making complaints in first few months of purchase and again numerous times and yet today it was acknowledged by FORD`s SA on 1st OCT 2011 in writing of still existing) --->

Lemon.

16: Front Driver Seat had loose bolts. lost its position on its own while driving and i was freaking that close to DEATH ! --->

Locking problem I suppose! It happens when the seat is not locked in slot!

17:
Air Bag Safety Light ON --->

Didn't happen yet!

18: Foul Smell from AC --->

When fresh air is drawn in! Seriously doubt whether they have any filter for cleaning the fresh air drawn in - All road smells, smokes, rubber smell and even waste water smell comes in to cabin!

19: Left rear door making noise when someone sits --->

No such issue noted.

20: KHAS KHAS sound when car starts ALTERNATOR belt issue --->

No such issue noted.

21: My car doesn't only scrape but bottoms out the chassis with a nice thud sound --->

Yes! But solved it with Tyre change(up size). Still scraps some potholes in Kerala - Blaming the potholes!

21: Front right door lock has failed now --->

Lemon.

Mine is July '10 model with 7887Km on ODO. I am irritated by squeaks. And more squeaks and the endless squeaks - Busy with work and don't have time to run after the service center guys!

The rattles are not that bad. I don't even put coins or loose objects in my car so that I wont get any rattles!

Will be taking the car for a checkup! Again to BINDASS from ford - The only doubt is whether it is Bind-*** in English or binddaaass in hindi!!!

Will update the thread after(???) solving the rattling issues!

For the record - I am not a true believer of ford *** anymore as they changed my rear parcel/speaker tray! Yes - Mine was having my reg number written on it on the rubber part! Now the numbers are not there!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks