Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2011, 11:21   #16
BHPian

Re: My New Tata Manza comes home !

Congratulations Venu, the color is lovely and interiors look real neat. Its a fantastic family car and a worthy investment. Is this your first your first diesel? if so then be sure to closely follow with even more care what fellow bhpians have mentioned. You will need time to know all the characteristics of this complex piece of engineering, the learning experience is the most exciting part. Reading experiences on teambhp is a different, actually going through it oneself is the fun thingy Take your time to know the car, a good driver knows his drive well.

Enjoy your drive.
Old 4th October 2011, 13:33   #17
BHPian

Thanks everyone for wishes and advices.

Reasons:
1. Space: we are a big family, and need good rear space. No budget for 7/8 seaters
2. Budget: Falls in the range that I can afford
3. Diesel
4. VFM
5. Good reviews in T-Bhp.
6. There are also issues, and I was willing to accommodate them.
7. I got the car in 2 days after payment.

Update:

First long ride, to office. Felt a slight pulling to left. One story on the same topic comes to mind. Hope its not that bad. otherwise great ride. Engine still surprises me with its quitness. I'll have to listen carefully to hear the humming. can feel a murmur when AC is on. Gear shifting has become better now, guess I've adjusted to it in 1 day. Felt sluggish in 2nd gear. I keep a max rpm under 2500, and max speed of some 70.

A long drive is on the cards during puja holidays. will know things better during that.

Last edited by GTO : 6th October 2011 at 18:11. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted
Old 4th October 2011, 13:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

All very justifiable reasons mate. And i agree, you cannot beat this car when it comes to space.Enjoy you car !
Old 4th October 2011, 15:50   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on your new Manza. The color looks stunning and the interiors are very pretty,they seem as if they are from a more expensive sedan.
Gearbox should ease out over time after the 1st service and more after the second service. Till then go easy on your car. Also try to go in for some alloys,they will further enhance the character of your car.

Enjoy your car and drive safe. Best wishes.
Old 11th October 2011, 11:44   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Forum. Thanks for updating the opening post of your review!
Old 11th October 2011, 12:41   #21
BHPian

Update: ODO - 825km

Just returned from a trip to Thirunelly temple in wayanad, in my new steed. My Manza got a taste of everything in this trip. We've gone through a really bad stretch of the road and we did'nt have any issues, except the underbody below the nose of the car touched the ground, couple of times.

:
Amzing power at higher speeds (80) and rpm 2000-2500 (whihc is the upper limit as of now)
Extremely good handling and ride quality, at high speeds. I had a hard time keeping her below 80kph
Eating pot-holed roads with ease.
Retuned a mileage of 14.38
Good seating, for all of us.
Contrary to my expectations, there was a constant request from behind to reduce AC.

Very good music system. Got a taste of bluetooth, many times. May not be an ICE geeks own, but I'm sure 95% of users will be ok with this. I will not touch it to upgrade.

Manuerability: Very good, never felt the pain of riding a bigger/longer car

Clutch/Gear feels ok now, may be I'm adjusted to it. My companion, who is a swift owner, said the clutch is much softer than his.

Very sluggish at second gear, around 2K rpm. I had to change to 1st gear while climbing some uphill roads. Never let it go beyond 2.5K rpm.
Had some difficulty in over-taking at low speeds, in 2nd gear.

thanks.
Old 11th October 2011, 14:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrvarier View Post

Just returned from a trip to Thirunelly temple in wayanad, in my new steed. My Manza got a taste of everything in this trip. We've gone through a really bad stretch of the road and we did'nt have any issues, except the underbody below the nose of the car touched the ground, couple of times.

:
Amzing power at higher speeds (80) and rpm 2000-2500 (whihc is the upper limit as of now)
Extremely good handling and ride quality, at high speeds. I had a hard time keeping her below 80kph
Eating pot-holed roads with ease.
Good seating, for all of us.
Contrary to my expectations, there was a constant request from behind to reduce AC.

Very good music system. Got a taste of bluetooth, many times. May not be an ICE geeks own, but I'm sure 95% of users will be ok with this. I will not touch it to upgrade.

Manuerability: Very good, never felt the pain of riding a bigger/longer car

Clutch/Gear feels ok now, may be I'm adjusted to it. My companion, who is a swift owner, said the clutch is much softer than his.

Very sluggish at second gear, around 2K rpm. I had to change to 1st gear while climbing some uphill roads. Never let it go beyond 2.5K rpm.
Had some difficulty in over-taking at low speeds, in 2nd gear.

thanks.
yes the 2nd gear can be slight slower, this is the lag that we all speak about, but once u hit 2500 then it will fly, but the best is the 3rd gear. Have not yet climbed any hill but slow overtaking you have to be judging accurately for oncoming traffic.
Old 18th October 2011, 12:37   #23
BHPian

Re: My New Tata Manza comes home ! 1000 km update

1000 KM Update

Yey !

I hit 1000 km today on my way to office, on 16th day of purchase. My first service is due now, and what problems should I report? Nothing Major ! TOUCHWOOD!. That was very much contrary to what I thought, while booking. During my long trip, I told my folks to try everything so that we can report it in case of failure. But there was none. I got a taste of everyting: bad roads, butter smooth roads, heavyrains, severe sunshine, uphill, downhill and what not. It was smooth sailing till now.

The left pulling problem I experienced earlier, could not be re-produced consistently. I think its the taper of the road. May be I should mention this in my service.

I pushed her once or twice to 3000+ rpm and the turbo kicks in neatly. But thats not what was told to me. It should be sub-2000, I guess.

I see this Engine-oil topping up discussion somewhere. Any inputs there, anyone?

As someone said earlier, this color is difficult to maintain. I spend 2 hrs cleaning, and 10 mins on the road, its back to original. Bengalooru......

Another kerala trip is on the cards during Diwali weekend. A chance to push her further. Let's see how she behaves. Hope the service will not create problems.

Wish me well...Thanks.
Old 18th October 2011, 23:49   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My New Tata Manza comes home ! 1000 km update

Quote:
As someone said earlier, this color is difficult to maintain. I spend 2 hrs cleaning, and 10 mins on the road, its back to original. Bengalooru......
I was just going to post the same thing and you did it ; these dark colours are real real impressive when clean ; the sad part is they gather dust faster than light colours

Having owned three white cars so far , am having big problems keeping the dark blue Corolla clean.
Old 20th October 2011, 17:37   #25
BHPian

My smart-card RC has come. That's within 15 days of purchase. Pretty quick given the delays that I heard initially. Mine is Indiranagar RTO. My SE was saying the hosur road RTO takes upto 90 days ! Thanks.
Old 20th October 2011, 18:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

That is very quick , in fact i have not heard or known anyone who has managed to get it so fast , it took 90 odd days when we got the Ritz , and thats the timeline i hear pretty much all the time in Delhi atleast.

Quote:
My smart-card RC has come. That's within 15 days of purchase. Pretty quick given the delays that I heard initially. Mine is Indiranagar RTO. My SE was saying the hosur road RTO takes upto 90 days ! Thanks.
Old 24th October 2011, 12:52   #27
BHPian

First service Update

Did my first service at Old madras road service centre. First of all, there is no Wow. I did NOT get a feeling that they are experts. There were these subtle signs of incompetence & ignorance. The SA was requesting to give 10/10 when TATA calls, which I felt pathetic. I may think about giving that purely out of sympathy.

But when I took the car out, it felt real quite & smooth, but why? They don't do anything in first service. Psychological? May be. Now I push the car a little beyond 3k rpm once in a while just get the turbo effect.

BTW, the SA was insisting on the underbody coating by 3M. It was not a question, but a statement: "Underbody coating karna padega, sir " (entire conversation was in hindi, even though my hindi is pathetic. Subtle sign?). I promptly declined. Is this required? Anyone did that?
Old 24th October 2011, 13:05   #28
BHPian

Quote:
First service Update

Did my first service at Old madras road service centre. First of all, there is no Wow. I did NOT get a feeling that they are experts. There were these subtle signs of incompetence & ignorance. The SA was requesting to give 10/10 when TATA calls, which I felt pathetic. I may think about giving that purely out of sympathy.

BTW, the SA was insisting on the underbody coating by 3M.
First of all congrats on your new ride. It looks a real beauty. I have a lot of experience with all most all of the Bangalore Tata workshops. If you are not satisfied with their service, do not rate them high. Not that I have anything against any one of them. But then, rating them correct keeps them on their toes. If you give them the real rating, and the rating is not high, the service center would call you back and offer to fix whatever you feel was not up to the mark. At least that has been my experience with Concorde, Manipal (now closed), KHT, and Prerna! I tried them all

Cheers!
Old 24th October 2011, 13:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

:

thanks.
Hi, congrats on the great looking and spacious car. On highway driving I feel your mileage is on the low side. A quadrajet engine should give you 18 - 20 kmpl.
Old 24th October 2011, 14:07   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
First of all congrats on your new ride. At least that has been my experience with Concorde, Manipal (now closed), KHT, and Prerna! I tried them all
Thanks. Which one of them is good, in your opinion? I chose OMR prerana because I live close to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Hi, congrats on the great looking and spacious car. On highway driving I feel your mileage is on the low side. A quadrajet engine should give you 18 - 20 kmpl.
Thanks. I will not complain. We've gone through a really bad stretch of roads for the majority of the drive, and it was crawling traffic on myr-blr road while returning. And its before 1st service.

Most Viewed