Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2011, 14:22   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: My New Tata Manza comes home !

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrvarier View Post
Thanks. Which one of them is good, in your opinion? I chose OMR prerana because I live close to it.

Thanks. I will not complain. We've gone through a really bad stretch of roads for the majority of the drive, and it was crawling traffic on myr-blr road while returning. And its before 1st service.
I would not worry so much about the milage coz this last Friday i belted the car really hard with the rpm mostly between 3500 to 4k rpm range to maintain the turbo range, i got a milage of 13.5kpl, which i feel is pretty good considering the thrashing.

I heard that KHT are slightly better than others though i do not have any experience, i did the 1st first service at Prerna Hosur road.
Old 24th October 2011, 17:08   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Which one of them is good, in your opinion? I chose OMR prerana because I live close to it.
Prerna on OMR are okay-okay. I tried them once but had to do 2 repeat visits to get the issue solved. Later when KHT opened, I tried them, they are marginally better than others. May be they are new, so they want to put an extra effort. When I was there, KHT provided free pickup and drop. Don't know whether they still provide this service (this was last year June).
Old 28th October 2011, 13:51   #33
BHPian

Hi, Vrvarier,
First of all, a hearty congratulations on your new purchase. The manza is a great car and the color you have chosen is the best available. I too own the same car, but the 'Elan' version in the same Tyrian Wine color.
Did you hear any creaks or rattles from your car? I started hearing some noises from the dash even before the first service. Like always, the guys at the Tata service center could not solve the problem. The car is close to 15k now, still facing similar problems.
Old 28th October 2011, 18:02   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Hi, Vrvarier,
First of all, a hearty congratulations on your new purchase. The manza is a great car and the color you have chosen is the best available. I too own the same car, but the 'Elan' version in the same Tyrian Wine color.
Did you hear any creaks or rattles from your car? I started hearing some noises from the dash even before the first service. Like always, the guys at the Tata service center could not solve the problem. The car is close to 15k now, still facing similar problems.
Hi DeKay,

Is the dash rattling coming from the central area? If it is, you can fix it as DIY. Remove the front panels (all 3 - AC vent, AC controls and ICE HU). And unscrew the HU. There is a screw behind the HU which tends to get lose and start rattling. Tighten it and apply some basic adhesive over it, to stop it from becoming undone again.

If its coming from extreme corners near the windshield, check if your tweeters (in the small rectangular fixtures above the side AC vents on top of the dashboard.) are properly secured. You may try to fix them yourself also, but I've never tried that.

If its coming from some other places, ignore this post .
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 18:21   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Hi DeKay,

Is the dash rattling coming from the central area? If it is, you can fix it as DIY. Remove the front panels (all 3 - AC vent, AC controls and ICE HU). And unscrew the HU. There is a screw behind the HU which tends to get lose and start rattling. Tighten it and apply some basic adhesive over it, to stop it from becoming undone again.

If its coming from extreme corners near the windshield, check if your tweeters (in the small rectangular fixtures above the side AC vents on top of the dashboard.) are properly secured. You may try to fix them yourself also, but I've never tried that.

If its coming from some other places, ignore this post .
Yes, it is coming from the central area. And yes, it does sound like a screw that has loosened. But, can this be done safely as a DIY? Sounds complicated. How do i go about removing the AC vents, AC controls and the Head unit? Have you performed this procedure before? If yes, possibly you could shed some light on this. And again, thanks a lot! Even the TATA guys have not been able to solve this problem for me yet.
Old 28th October 2011, 19:14   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
I would not worry so much about the milage coz this last Friday i belted the car really hard with the rpm mostly between 3500 to 4k rpm range to maintain the turbo range, i got a milage of 13.5kpl, which i feel is pretty good considering the thrashing.

I heard that KHT are slightly better than others though i do not have any experience, i did the 1st first service at Prerna Hosur road.
3.5k to 4k RPM? Wow you've made the MJD prove itself the hard way! The Manza's VGT should kick in around 1800 RPM delivering its peak torque. I don't see why you have to push it to 3.5k to keep it in the turbo range? Being a variable geometry turbo, it does a good job at lower RPMs too. In fact 4k is a bit too much to ask from a 1248cc SDE Hats off to the Quadrajet90 for still delivering the FE you got.
Old 29th October 2011, 14:16   #37
BHPian

Welcome to the Manza and the dashboard rattle club. My only gripe with the car is the dashboard rattle and the soft rear suspension. I have fixed the screw behind the HU, the tweeters, the a/c ducts which are poorly secured. Fix one, the rattle appears some where else and almost on the verge of giving up.
Old 29th October 2011, 14:33   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Welcome to the Manza and the dashboard rattle club. My only gripe with the car is the dashboard rattle and the soft rear suspension. I have fixed the screw behind the HU, the tweeters, the a/c ducts which are poorly secured. Fix one, the rattle appears some where else and almost on the verge of giving up.
Seriously, tata needs to sort all of these problems as soon as possible. Forget the sub 10 lakhs manza, Even the Aria Pride 4x4, which costs around 18L OTR, rattles.
As per my manza is concerned, I have heard rattles from the rear left door as well as behind the rear right side head rest. How did you go about fixing the screws behind the HU? Did you do it yourself?
Old 29th October 2011, 18:01   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Seriously, tata needs to sort all of these problems as soon as possible. Forget the sub 10 lakhs manza, Even the Aria Pride 4x4, which costs around 18L OTR, rattles.
As per my manza is concerned, I have heard rattles from the rear left door as well as behind the rear right side head rest. How did you go about fixing the screws behind the HU? Did you do it yourself?
Yes, it was DIY. The screws behind the HU are in the below thread. Also have listed other areas where I was able to trace the rattles.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-report-2.html

For the DIY, the below thread was of great help even though it was for the Vista.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...hip-log-2.html
Sridhar K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2011, 21:24   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3.5k to 4k RPM? Wow you've made the MJD prove itself the hard way! The Manza's VGT should kick in around 1800 RPM delivering its peak torque. I don't see why you have to push it to 3.5k to keep it in the turbo range? Being a variable geometry turbo, it does a good job at lower RPMs too. In fact 4k is a bit too much to ask from a 1248cc SDE Hats off to the Quadrajet90 for still delivering the FE you got.
Yes 1800 is peak torque but 4k is the peak bhp which is required when doing roll on speeds. But one thing i found out, its not meant to be driven like that, there is absolutely no gain past 4k rpm. This car is meant to be driven fast but accelerated softly
Old 30th October 2011, 11:37   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, Vrvarier,
First of all, a hearty congratulations on your new purchase.
Thanks. No rattles, yet. Have heard a lot about this, and am kind of waiting for it, so that when it arrives, I'm not disappointed.

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, but what is VGT? I never got any turbo effect before 2800 rpm. At lower rpms,at 2nd gear I found it to be extremely power-LESS.
Old 30th October 2011, 13:39   #42
BHPian

VGT stands for variable geometry turbo charger that Manza sports. The turbo should kick in at 1500 + rpm making it responsive but the turbo kick is usually seen only at 2500+ rpm on my Manza though some claim to notice it at 1800 rpm. Second gear is extremely sluggish unless it is above 1500 rpm. Have modified my driving style to keep the car above 1500 rpm at all times by shifting up at 2000-2200 rpm (except in bumper to bumper scenario) to over come the turbo lag. If need be, I shift down to first gear. For spirited drives, I use the 2000 - 2800 rpm band but the FE takes a hit.

Last edited by Sridhar K : 30th October 2011 at 13:45.
Old 6th November 2011, 00:02   #43
BHPian

Quote:

7. Back to Manza:
Requested a test drive. Got calls from both concorde & prerana. Prerana guy followed up with me constantly
and he showed up at my house on time. Had a very elaborate test-drive. The guys were very much willing and
coperative. The attitude was like "we have a bad name, and we want to change that with this car", and I liked it. The car met all my expactations.

Positives:
1. Space. Rear space is best in class.
2. National Engine !
3. good power and mileage
4. Budget: Needed a little stretch, but manageable.
5. All good fatures, including the ABS.
6. The new Aura ABS was offered in Tyrian Wine color, which was the instant favourite.

Negetives:
1. TATA ! Everyone said, beware !
2. Tight clutch/gear. may be part of my shift to deisel. will be felt more in city traffic.
3. Rear de-fogger will be sorely missed (as I'm missing now in my present car)
4. A rear AC vent could've been better, as this is a big car.
5. Does'nt have the killer looks, but ok.
6. Niggles reported

Decision:

So MANZA it is ! Wife had apprehensions about the quality. Somehow I felt like taking those risks and go for it. Apparently, I've decided long ago to buy Manza, and was trying to find excuses not to but any other cars.

Model: We compared the list of our must-have's and the features offered by manza. The Tyrian wine was our choice, and that was offered in Top-end Elan & Aura ABS. We were not keen on the additional features that
Elan offered. So the decision was narrowed down to Aura ABS. Later, much later, we realized to our disappointment, that the new Aura ABS does'nt have rear de-fogger. Sob !

So, the final spec is:

Car:Tata Manza
Variant: New Aura ABS
Fuel: Diesel
Colour: Tyrian Wine
Dealer: Prerana Motors, Lalbag road, Bangalore
Discounts: 15K cash discounts, 6K corp discount
Freebies: Sun-film, mud-flaps, floor-mats, car cover, Idol Perfume
OTR Price: 8.36 Lakhs

Buying:

There was a photo taken with me accepting the delivery. I took the key, sat inside the car and starts the engine. It would not start. I tried 3-4 times, with no luck. ANother SA came to me and said, I need to press the clutch. I did that but no luck. Finally I press the clutch full, with the pedal touching the floor, and engine coughs to life ! And what a silent engine. I could hardly hear the sound of engine running. We roll out of the showroom after two, to thick traffic in lalbag road.

Initial impressions:
Much better interior qualities, from Indigo & Indica and my santro.
Steering wheel & music system console, DIS gives a very rich look
Extremely good seating position, with fully drwan back & fully raised drivers seat.
Glove is large.
Lots of storage space.
Very good music system. May not be a geek's own, but will satisfy 95% of users. Has all the options I
would need. I will not think about enhancing it.
AC is adequate, can't say great.
Sunfilm felt to be just right. Not too dark/light.

Engine felt sluggish at lower rpms, especially 2nd gear.
Gear/clutch are very tight. Deisel?
Need to press the clutch to the floor for changing gear. Adjust? Again, deisel?
Not enough steering grip. Steering cover?
May miss a rear AC vent.
Throw the perfume out of the window as soon as you can.

Hello Mr. Venu.

So Manza twins I guess :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2568831

Thank you for sharing this with all of us.

My few replies and questions:

The Tyrian Wine is the absolute choice & it is a 'love'ly colour.
But it looks much better in your pics!

Well - the engine starts ONLY after the clutch if FULLY depressed (same feature in Linea, recently added in Manza) its a safety feature - so that a child sitting in the car with the keys - can enjoy the music & the breeze but cannot accidentally 'start' the engine.

AGREE completely to almost everything you have mentioned.
Echoing my sentiments.
Especially about the +ves, interiors, music system, drive, FE - lots of it.

Except few:

1. The clutch is not so hard - please get it checked during the 1st service. At the same time - I must add - it is NOT as super feather light as the Santro. Had you driven my Indica - you would have loved the clutch. & yes - the clutch has a lot of travel in the pedal. But it is by no means 'hard'. It maybe 'relatively' hard for you.
Feel free to check the clutch in my Manza anytime for an actual comaprison.

2. The rear de-fogger. Though I havent got a single occasion to use it yet & I suspect in Mumbai that occassion will only arise in the Monsoon. So please don't fret or regret. Also, I remember when buying my Indica - the company had offered to get it included. So was that 1 feature not possible to be included - for a little extra? (just asking since you are missing it so much)

3. Most importantly - Does your Manza have a rear 12V socket ??? In the rear seat, next to the right head rest? Do let me know.

4. Be warned about issues commonly faced by Manza users. We can keep track together. (& pray for minimal issues)

5. I really really recommend that you get Nitrogen in the tyres. 100 Rs for 5 tyres - ONE time only- then lifetime free tops ups. But a WORLD of a difference.

ENJOY! Keep driving. & Keep in touch !
Old 6th November 2011, 00:09   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Yes, it was DIY. The screws behind the HU are in the below thread. Also have listed other areas where I was able to trace the rattles.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-report-2.html

For the DIY, the below thread was of great help even though it was for the Vista.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...hip-log-2.html
Thank you very much for this.

Will pursue it up on my 1st service due on Monday.

I have subscribed to your respective threads.

I too had the same rattles since past 5 days.
Old 15th November 2011, 17:56   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post

3. Most importantly - Does your Manza have a rear 12V socket ??? In the rear seat, next to the right head rest? Do let me know.
No, I don't have this. I was not very keen on this, since the one in front would suffice my requirements. BTW, I bought the belkin inverter. A little bulkier than I expected. Rs 1530/- from eBay.

thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks