Team-BHP - More Swift - More Fun - My White Swift VDi
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   More Swift - More Fun - My White Swift VDi (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/109208-more-swift-more-fun-my-white-swift-vdi.html)

More Swift - More Fun - More Waiting Period

My first real post in TBHP. Have been an avid reader of TBHP and normally used to refrain from writing post stupid:So any mistakes could be due to my ignorance. Please bear with that..please:

Some insight first..

I have been looking for a hatchback for a year or so. My main criterion was to go for a driver's car. Before all this petrol price hoopla, my original choice was Polo 1.2 petrol. Thanks to my friend who owned 1.2 petrol, I could taste a feel of it and was almost deciding on this. All of a sudden, petrol price started rising at scorching price and forced me to re-look at my choice. My daily commuting is like 30 kms and I was totally confused. I have always loved petrol cars, so had a reservation going for a diesel hatchback. After consulting with many, I decided to go for a diesel hatchback. And obviously my choice was Swift diesel. I have driven it and loved it too. Only to the premium diesel price, I was staying away from it.

So the choice was made and I booked a Swift Diesel VDi (older version) on June 1st 2011 from ABT Maruti (guindy). On-Road price was 6.21 lacs. I was given a waiting period of 2 months and was assured that it would be delivered within the stipulated time.

Unexpected change in proceedings..

After one month of waiting, one fine day, I got a call from the dealer asking whether I'll be willing to go for new generation swift diesel. I was excited and agreed to it. They assured I'll be getting the car from the first batch itself
and gave a time frame like August 3rd or 4th week.

Delivery..

At last got my delivery by last week of September. With every news about Manesar plant shutdown, I kept nagging the ABT representative and gave him bad time. In fact he was a nice guy and kept his word by delivering my car from the first batch itself. Even him being a sales representative, was going through a tough time and had his own limitations. Anyway I don’t have any complaints now.

Delivery took around 4 hours and there were some small bit of pooja done from their side. I was at my home by night and was excited. Next day, took her to a temple nearby and did pooja for my satisfaction.

On-Road price..

The new version costs 40k more and it was 6.59 lacs. There were no discounts on offer (quite understandable for the hype created lol.

First impressions..

Pros:
=====
- Amazing drivability
- Handling is confidence inspiring
- Ride quality is better
- Bigger than the older version
- Much better interiors
- Exterior looks similar, but more of a matured look.
- Rear design is like love-or-hate thing. (i loved it though)
- Slightly better legroom in the rear.
- Better seat fabric

Cons:
=====
- Smaller boot (disappointment)
- Tires not adequate and in some angles, looks puny.
- Braking lacks punch. (This is the only concern I have. I would have almost kissed an auto)
- No height adjustment in VDi

Engine performance..

Took her for a long drive and oh boy!!! she is fun to drive. I really loved the improved handling. Cruising at 120 is so easy and the update to the suspension makes her ride very planted.

In city, since the turbo kicks in late, moving around in 1st n 2nd gear is just mediocre. Once the turbo kicks in, drivability improves. The old VDi had that monstrous thrust once the turbo kicks in. I feel the newer version to have lost
that DNA little bit.

Gear shift is excellent. I like playing with this gearbox. Excellent stuff..

Interiors n Comfort..

Black interiors are a boon. Quality is also much better (except for some areas). Driving position is spot on for me (5.10) and rear seat comfort is adequate. Air con works well and have no complaints. Boot space is very restricted. I don’t think it will fit in those airport bags. Don’t know what suzuki was thinking..

NVH inside is adequate, could have improved. Only realized when GTO pointed out the thin glasses.

Handling..

This is where Swift emerges as a clear winner. Great composure at high speed (i have only gone till 120). With improve ride, this car is more fun to drive.

Fuel Efficiency..

All smiles..

I haven't checked the conventional way and following figures are from the speedometer menu

In City - 17.5-17.9
In highways - 21.8 ( was the maximum i got)

Accessories..

From ABT
Scuff plates - 500
Side skirts - 1200
Body cover - 1000
Floor mats - free
3M sun film - cs2 (something like that) - 3500

ICE installed from Powerzone, Royahpettah. Enjoying it.
Kenwood - DPX-MU5110U (with warranty) - around 10k
Corel Maximo component - 6200
Corel maximo oval ones - 4200

Others..

Looking for a neat seat covers. Please suggest any good ones. Also any good place for install

Nothing more to add as of now. Thanks for your patience in reading. Please provide you suggestion/comments.

Sharing some photos of my beauty.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

nice write up dude, now please add some pics to please our eyes :D

Some random shots of my car.. will post more later..

Congrats for your new Swift VDi. I am also waiting for my VDi, long waiting period though.
Please some pictures of your beauty.
Wishing you many happy miles in your car,drive safe.

@ashis89 Thanks for ur wishes.. I have posted some pics..

Congrats man_xzone:, Nice photos and angles. Happy safe miles.

Congrats ! I guess all new Swifts delivered so far are only white ones! I saw a couple of new Swifts in my native - those were white as well.

Regarding the brake bite issue, I request you to take up with the dealer / regional service office. In the first gen, I guess brake boosters were retrofitted in L & V [without ABS] variants free of cost since a lot of customers complained about lack of bite. They might be willing to do this again this time.

Anyway CONGRATS on your new ride & wish you miles of happy & safe motoring !

Pictures look like they have been taken on one of the numerous roads that lead from ECR to the beach huh? :D
She looks beautiful. Congrats & Cheers to all the long trips ahead.

Congratulations on getting the New Swift VDi.
Its looks cool in a White shade.

Here's a suggestion for you friend based on my own experience,
Quote:

Originally Posted by man_xzone (Post 2537287)
Cons:
=====
- Smaller boot (disappointment)
- Tires not adequate and in some angles, looks puny.
- Braking lacks punch. (This is the only concern I have. I would have almost kissed an auto)

That's a really bad Shave/incidence happened with you man.
I wanna share something;
Braking of a car is not an Independent factor, instead it's constituted by many factors like;
-Car Body kerb weight.
-Weight distribution.
-Suspension.
-Tyres.
-Brake setup.

Considering the case of New Swift VDi;
-Its kerb weight is lesser than before.
-Weight distribution is better than the old version.
Hence these 2 components balance each other.
-Then comes the Suspension, again its better & improved in New Swift.
-Most Important, The Tyres:
IMHO, These are the weakest link in the ineffective braking of Swift.
I remember, Once i've driven my friend's Old Swift VDi with 195/65 tyres.
Its Roadgrip & acceleration was fantastic & braking was also quite adequate.
-Then comes the Brakes-type, again Non-ABS being a Weak link here.
So best option is to upsize its tyre setup now, atleast prefer 185/70 R14 sized Bridgestones.

Congratulations for acquiring the new Swift VDi. It does look nice and refreshing. Great snaps too!

@b_ambat @swiftnfurious Thanks

@AvinashV Good catch. Yes indeed that was d way towards ECR..

@CRtorquefan Thanks for your feedback. I was thinking of putting bridgestone turanza. But due to budget constraints, dropped that plan. I think I got to live up with the stock tires for an year or so.

@man_xzone,

Congratulations on the Swift:thumbs up, the colour white looks rocking ont he car. You were lucky to lay your hands on the car when the waiting periods are horrendous (one of my colleagues booked on the 1st Oct and he was promised delivery in 1st week March 2012:Shockked:).

Happy mile crunching and drive safely. Nice pics BTW. Enjoy the ride.

Congratulations on your car. White looks lovely and lucky you for getting a car from the first lot itself . Some interior pics would help too. Ride safe.

Congratulations on your buy :) Regarding the brake bite issue, talk to your dealer and have it rectified in the first service. The other niggles are something that you can live with, as the pros of this car outweighs the cons. Have fun!

@ghodlur Thanks
@bigron Thanks. Will post soon.
@_raVan_ Thanks. I did raised this issue during first service. After first service, braking seem to be better.