Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2012, 10:28   #106
BHPian

Re: Meine Mädchen- The 2011 New Jetta - Comfortline MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
While browsing around the images of the Jetta Hybrid headlamps and excessively drooling over them, ..............There is hope, after all, to get those HIDs and LEDs in our rides. Just hope VW here doesnt spoil the party with its warranty restrictions!
I have been following that thread with some interest the past month or so and have also established lines of communications with the seller and a couple of other knowledgeable members on that forum regarding the retrofit. There are still a few kinks that need addressing with dropping in the hybrids lamps into our cars; the most important being that the harness for it has still not been figured out. Going by how hard it was for me to convince and educate the locals here to drop in my BT module, I am going to wait till Americans figure out the entire set-up. This way at least I will be able to get the lights in myself with minimum spend and worry if the A.S.S lets me down.

Apart from the above - the unit should cost one around USD1.4K + taxes/duty shipped from Mexico. It is a NA build which means it comes with an amber side marker, again something I'm not ok with. Our clear lenses look so much more elegant.
Old 30th June 2012, 10:57   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayedongivadam View Post

Apart from the above - the unit should cost one around USD1.4K + taxes/duty shipped from Mexico. It is a NA build which means it comes with an amber side marker, again something I'm not ok with. Our clear lenses look so much more elegant.
Remember the projectors will also be for driving on the right hand side. So you will have to get those adjusted, which can be a pain if you can order it specifically for left hand side driving.
Old 30th June 2012, 19:14   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Remember the projectors will also be for driving on the right hand side. So you will have to get those adjusted, which can be a pain if you can order it specifically for left hand side driving.
Yes that's correct they will need to be aligned for LH driving which the seller assures is not a big deal with the projectors. I'm getting the light schematics sent over to see how its laid out and integrates with the car.
Old 3rd July 2012, 21:57   #109
BHPian

hi lamboguy,

are all the buttons on the steering wheel functional? i read on the Jetta Tsi review page that the phone control buttons are just dummy! also according to the brochure the "Mobile Device Interface MEDIA-IN adapter cable in glove compartment" comes only with the high line variant. so does that mean that the comfort line variant does not even have the USB for iPod/iPhone?

Last edited by magikrider : 3rd July 2012 at 22:05.
Old 4th July 2012, 14:33   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider
hi lamboguy,

are all the buttons on the steering wheel functional? i read on the Jetta Tsi review page that the phone control buttons are just dummy! also according to the brochure the "Mobile Device Interface MEDIA-IN adapter cable in glove compartment" comes only with the high line variant. so does that mean that the comfort line variant does not even have the USB for iPod/iPhone?
There's only one phone button which doesn't obviously dial anything as Bluetooth isn't provided on the car. The button however mutes the stereo.

Nope the comfortline has only sd card and aux. No iPod/iPhone Usb connectivity.
lamboguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 09:52   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
hi lamboguy,

Nothing that you can't retrofit! There are kits (Genuine VW parts) available to drop in the BT as well as MDI into your car.
Ayedongivadam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2012, 00:45   #112
BHPian

First things first: Replaced the stock Halogen DRLs with LEDs. The car just looks amazing. It is worth noting how a subtle mod can enhance the looks and presence of the car in a big way. (Thanks Ayedongiveadam for the mods on his own car which has served as an inspiration for other JETta owners!)

Here is a pic taken from my cell (the photo quality isn't at par with other pics on this thread, sorry about that)
Meine Mädchen- The 2011 New Jetta - Comfortline MT-lq-img_20120712_211700.jpg

Second: Since it has started raining here in Mumbai, temperatures has fallen below 30°C. Since the last 2 days (and an isolated incident a few days ago), whenever I start the car in the morning or at late nights i.e. essentially after a break of 12+ hours, the Engine temp warning light starts flashing with the beeps. The temp gauge shows minimum temperature which starts rising gradually as I start driving. However, the warning light still keeps on flashing sans the beep unless I restart the engine. Anyone else faces this issue? This is my first diesel car, is something like this supposed to happen? I mean its not that cold in Mumbai.
lamboguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2012, 08:53   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Replaced the stock Halogen DRLs with LEDs. The car just looks amazing.
Congrats on the LEDs lamboguy. Could you tell me the source and cost of the DRLs and are they canbus compliant and don't give any error on the MFD? I would like to procure something similar for my Superb's DRL's and the only proper one I found was from ebay UK. So looking for something procurable locally.
Old 23rd July 2012, 11:49   #114
BHPian

Quote:
First things first: Replaced the stock Halogen DRLs with LEDs. The car just looks amazing....

Second: Since it has started raining here in Mumbai, temperatures has fallen below 30°C. Since the last 2 days (and an isolated incident a few days ago), whenever I start the car in the morning or at late nights i.e. essentially after a break of 12+ hours, the Engine temp warning light starts flashing with the beeps. The temp gauge shows minimum temperature which starts rising gradually as I start driving. However, the warning light still keeps on flashing sans the beep unless I restart the engine. Anyone else faces this issue? This is my first diesel car, is something like this supposed to happen? I mean its not that cold in Mumbai.
Hi Lamboguy.. Yes it looks amazing with the LED DRLs.

I have not faced the issue that you mentioned even during fairly cold starts e.g. at Mahabaleshwar. Might be due to the low coolant levels - chek it on a cold car (before starting). I had faced something similar - & it had nothing to do with the ambient temperature. A little coolant top up did the trick.
vkaul1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 20:45   #115
BHPian

Hi Lamboguy,
You have a beautiful vehicle. Congrats.
I am also looking forward to a car in this range and considering Jetta /Laura/ Fluence / Altis all in diesel preferably. My queries -
1. How high is the rear floor hump? How obtrusive is the rear AC vent into middle back seat leg space? Had a look at laura and was disappointed on this feature.
2. Any particular issues till now? Having used Japanese cars till now which have a lower build quality but definitely very reliable engines, I am hesitating to take the expensive jump. How expensive are services?
3. AT Vs manual. any thoughts?
4. How is the drive quality compared to others in my consideration list as mentioned above?
5. How is the driving position considering I'm 5'4"? Height adjustment good enough?
Old 26th July 2012, 08:32   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile
Congrats on the LEDs lamboguy. Could you tell me the source and cost of the DRLs and are they canbus compliant and don't give any error on the MFD?
I sourced them from dealextreme. You could do a search of 1156 68 SMD LED 12V. These are CANBUS compliant. No errors on the MFD.
I am not sure about the local availability. One of my friends had enquired at some place in Mumbai and the price quoted was exorbitant.
lamboguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 11:29   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I sourced them from dealextreme. You could do a search of 1156 68 SMD LED 12V. These are CANBUS compliant. No errors on the MFD.
I am not sure about the local availability. One of my friends had enquired at some place in Mumbai and the price quoted was exorbitant.
Thanks lamboguy. Ordered.
Details - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2852136

Last edited by dkaile : 26th July 2012 at 11:43.
Old 26th July 2012, 18:43   #118
BHPian

Quote:
I sourced them from dealextreme. You could do a search of 1156 68 SMD LED 12V. These are CANBUS compliant. No errors on the MFD. ..... exorbitant.
I have also placed an order for the DRLs just now, which going by your pic would look good on black color too. Thanks to you & Ayedongivadam for the inspiration!

PS: Has been a great ownership expereince for the last 3 months. Done about ~3k kms. Yet to start a ownership thread, as haven't been able to take pics!
Old 26th July 2012, 23:32   #119
BHPian

This happened today, I had parked the Jetta with the engine idling, near the Palm Beach Road. A white HL Jetta passes by with its Halogen DRLs switched on. The car disappears on the curve ahead. After a few seconds, the Jetta comes by again, stops and the passenger approaches me to inquire about the DRLs.

It seems, VW could have made a tiny fortune for itself offering these babies as an option!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
Hi Lamboguy,
You have a beautiful vehicle. Congrats.
I am also looking forward to a car in this range and considering Jetta /Laura/ Fluence / Altis all in diesel preferably. My queries -
1. How high is the rear floor hump? How obtrusive is the rear AC vent into middle back seat leg space? Had a look at laura and was disappointed on this feature.
2. Any particular issues till now? Having used Japanese cars till now which have a lower build quality but definitely very reliable engines, I am hesitating to take the expensive jump. How expensive are services?
3. AT Vs manual. any thoughts?
4. How is the drive quality compared to others in my consideration list as mentioned above?
5. How is the driving position considering I'm 5'4"? Height adjustment good enough?
The rear floor hump is pretty obtrusive. But the width of the car somehow makes up for it. If Laura disappointed you on this, so will the Jetta.
No big issues till now other than a few creaking noises which were solved [see posts in this thread itself]
If budget is not a constraint, go for the AT.
Drive Quality is the best in class. Comfort + cornering, both are excellent
Height adjustment is pretty good.I am 5'8 and my chauffeur is 5'4. Both drive comfortably.

Last edited by lamboguy : 26th July 2012 at 23:40.
Old 27th July 2012, 07:35   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrek_924

I have also placed an order for the DRLs just now, which going by your pic would look good on black color too. Thanks to you & Ayedongivadam for the inspiration!

PS: Has been a great ownership expereince for the last 3 months. Done about ~3k kms. Yet to start a ownership thread, as haven't been able to take pics!
And so have I! With free shipping and PayPal, it was a no brainier!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks