Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2011, 16:15   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Meine Mädchen- The 2011 New Jetta - Comfortline MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContiMental View Post
If build quality is one of the main criteria? Which one should be considered? I have come across many people who say that the Laura is far more better in terms of build quality. But is it so even when these two cars come from the same family?
It is not necessary that cars from the same family should have the same build quality. I haven't experienced the Jetta firsthand so may not be right person to comment. But from what I have read on the forum I understand that the New Jetta is solidly build with quality materials and you will not find anyone complaining about build quality per se. But the interiors do not exude the kind of richness that comes out in the Laura.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2011, 00:39   #47
BHPian

2011 kms update:

2011 kms update:

Made a 500km long trip. Mumbai - Nashik - Bhandardara - Mumbai.

On the National Highways, the car drove as if the roads were made of velvet. Since we left Mumbai at the break of dawn, traffic was minimal. So cruising at 120 - 140 kph was easy.

Whenever I used to go on such weekend trips in the Honda City and an Audi or a Beamer would zip pass me, I used to look at the City and think "Some day... we shall!".
And with the Jetta, the day has come! With 138 horses at your command, you really don't have to put in any efforts other than signalling them "Go!".

However, I observed, at higher speeds (50 kph +) the car responds to you only if you are in the correct gear. For example, if you try to pull away from 50kph in the 6th gear you could feel the engine laugh at you with a 'are you kidding me?' grunt!

Since I was driving at 'non eco friendly' speeds, I did not expect to extract much fuel economy out of the trip (its diesel, who cares!). Still I managed to get 19kmpl from Mumbai to Nashik and 17.2kmpl while returning due to heavy traffic!

P.S.: To demonstrate the ride quality of the car I would make a statement which would say it all: My mom fell asleep in the car when I was driving at speeds of around 120+ kph on a fairly twisty highway!

A few snaps from the journey:
Meine Mädchen- The 2011 New Jetta - Comfortline MT-dsc_4366-copy.jpg

Meine Mädchen- The 2011 New Jetta - Comfortline MT-dsc_4312_3_4_tonemapped-cleanup.jpg

Meine Mädchen- The 2011 New Jetta - Comfortline MT-dsc_4381-bw.jpg

Meine Mädchen- The 2011 New Jetta - Comfortline MT-dsc_4466-copy-2-led-drl.jpg

Meine Mädchen- The 2011 New Jetta - Comfortline MT-img192.jpg
lamboguy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2011, 07:30   #48
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2011 kms update:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
Made a 500km long trip. Mumbai - Nashik - Bhandardara - Mumbai.
Nice set of pictures there. Especially the second one – the Silver leaf is showing its true colour there

Love the clean, elegant lines of this car.
Old 19th November 2011, 10:20   #49
BHPian

Hi lamboguy,
Nice set of pictures there and amazing mileage figures from a brand new car!
Have you changed the DRL's?
Old 19th November 2011, 22:27   #50
BHPian

Nope. Just a bit of Photoshop. Hope VW sees this and offers optional LED DRLs!
Old 21st November 2011, 09:14   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Hi lamboguy,
Nice set of pictures there and amazing mileage figures from a brand new car!
Have you changed the DRL's?
Hmm, I was going to ask the same thing, when I saw your answer. Fooled us all, you did!

Which suncontrol film are you using? Is it not a bit too dark? I got a good deal for about 7k from Garware for the front, sides and back. thinking of going for it.

As usual superb pictures. Wallpaper material!

Coming to the personalisation tips, have you managed to switch on the TPM (tyre pressure) function in the MID? I tried but failed.

Last edited by druk75 : 21st November 2011 at 09:21.
Old 21st November 2011, 14:39   #52
BHPian

Can you check what is the wattage of the bulbs in the DRL? I was going through vwvortex forums, and I found out that many of these Jetta owners have just replaced the bulbs in the DRL's to white LED's. No wiring cut, relay etc required. Just direct plug and play.

Here is link to the ebay listing for the exact bulbs they have used.

2X 1157 WHITE SMD 102-LED Stop SIGNAL BRAKE LIGHT BULBS | eBay

Meine Mädchen- The 2011 New Jetta - Comfortline MT-p1720992155.jpg

Meine Mädchen- The 2011 New Jetta - Comfortline MT-imag0053.jpg

PS - I hope you don't mind me posting pictures on this thread.

Last edited by DeKay : 21st November 2011 at 14:42. Reason: PS Note.
DeKay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 15:08   #53
BHPian

Wow, that's just fantastic! If we can do this! Has anyone you know tried this out here in India? Are the LEDs from ebay available in India? It just looks superb.

And Lambo, hope you don't mind some of my silly questions, like I am wondering if there is a way to close the ORVMs from the key fob or some automatic closing when we turn the ignition off. Also, did you adhere to any particular format for your run in, or started flat out from day one? VW does not recommend any run in time or KMs. But still... to be on the safer side.

I found the wipers were not coming up when the bonnet is shut, as it gets wedged in between, any ideas as to how to release them, to wash the wind shields.

I was also going through Blackdiesel's thread on his Vento, where he mentions Winston's aftermarket ICE for touch, Nav, and Bluetooth. Any ideas if we can fit it into the Jetta dash?
Old 21st November 2011, 15:42   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I found the wipers were not coming up when the bonnet is shut, as it gets wedged in between, any ideas as to how to release them, to wash the wind shields.

I was also going through Blackdiesel's thread on his Vento, where he mentions Winston's aftermarket ICE for touch, Nav, and Bluetooth. Any ideas if we can fit it into the Jetta dash?
1) Insert the keys and turn the keys to a point where you can only start the car with the next turn.
2) Now turn the keys backwards or even pull it out.
3) Switch on the viper and the blade will sit in the out positiong for you to clean.

Secondly,

No matter what you want to change in the New jetta with respect to electronics, change it in the dealer place. ANything outside WILL void warranty.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 15:49   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
I was going through vwvortex forums, and I found out that many of these Jetta owners have just replaced the bulbs in the DRL's to white LED's. No wiring cut, relay etc required. Just direct plug and play.

PS - I hope you don't mind me posting pictures on this thread.
I had done a lot of research on this aspect even before getting the delivery of the car. Here is the proof

Meine Mädchen- The 2011 New Jetta - Comfortline MT-screenhunter_03-nov.-21-15.23.jpg

But sadly due to the strict warranty policy of VW in India, I gave up the thought! (Lets face it, in India its a pretty expensive car and losing warranty on this one would be a nightmare)

Quote:
Originally Posted by druk75 View Post
Hmm, I was going to ask the same thing, when I saw your answer. Fooled us all, you did!

Which suncontrol film are you using? Is it not a bit too dark? I got a good deal for about 7k from Garware for the front, sides and back. thinking of going for it.

As usual superb pictures. Wallpaper material!

Coming to the personalisation tips, have you managed to switch on the TPM (tyre pressure) function in the MID? I tried but failed.
I am using Llumar 35 neutral series (not entirely satisfied). Planning to go in for a change this weekend. There seem to be horizontal lines appearing on the window tints when seen from steep angle. Now I do not know if this a problem with the specific lot or all Llumars are like that. Till now I have used only V kool and Llumar films. The local dealer is pressing me to go in for Blaupunkt. Anyone has any idea how they are?

The manual does mention something about the TPM in the glove compartment but I did not find anything there. Let me know if you have any luck with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by druk75 View Post
Wow, that's just fantastic! If we can do this! Has anyone you know tried this out here in India? Are the LEDs from ebay available in India? It just looks superb.

And Lambo, hope you don't mind some of my silly questions, like I am wondering if there is a way to close the ORVMs from the key fob or some automatic closing when we turn the ignition off. Also, did you adhere to any particular format for your run in, or started flat out from day one? VW does not recommend any run in time or KMs. But still... to be on the safer side.

Even I have been looking for ways to auto fold the ORVMs, but in vain (although Skoda does have a way to do this by long press of some remote buttons). In my opinion, that is the only glitch that VW has left out in the car.

As far as run in is concerned (a VERY controversial topic), I did a lot of research and came to a conclusion: Don't bother.
The only precaution I took was that during the initial 1000kms, I TRIED not to rev the engine above 2500rpms. Also avoided sudden surges in the tachometer. Cruise control should again be avoided during the initial runs. Other than that, no patterns. "Drive like you own the car"

It would be good if you could post a link to the Vento thread you were talking about.

Last edited by lamboguy : 21st November 2011 at 16:06.
Old 21st November 2011, 17:04   #56
BHPian

Definitely Lamboguy,
The Jetta is quite expensive and losing the warranty on top of that would be horrendous. Could you please shed some more light on the warranty thing? What all can contribute towards getting your warranty void?
I read a post somewhere on tbhp, where a gentleman wanted to get HID's installed on his vento and since no wiring cut was going to be taking place, he decided to go ahead with it as it would not affect his warranty!

Last edited by DeKay : 21st November 2011 at 17:09.
Old 21st November 2011, 17:22   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As far as run in is concerned (a VERY controversial topic), I did a lot of research and came to a conclusion: Don't bother.
Some of us are following the below link.
Break-in Period - TDIClub Forums

In otherwords lots of varying acceleration and RPM right from the word go.

We also do a clean up of the air filter once every month.

Quote:
But sadly due to the strict warranty policy of VW in India, I gave up the thought!
SOme of the replacement bulbs are exactly like OEM which requirese just swapping of the bulbs. I do not think it should be a problem.

Find a friendly SA and explain him the same and he should understand that it falls within the cars specification.

I have Blue LED lit Door sills which i want to install but requires some wire alteration. In US most of the dealers do this for their customers.
Old 21st November 2011, 19:33   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

SOme of the replacement bulbs are exactly like OEM which requirese just swapping of the bulbs. I do not think it should be a problem.

Find a friendly SA and explain him the same and he should understand that it falls within the cars specification.

I have Blue LED lit Door sills which i want to install but requires some wire alteration. In US most of the dealers do this for their customers.
Exactly what I was thinking. Since the bulbs are sam as the OEM, warranty shouldn't be an issue! But it is certainly advisable to consult an SA.
VW2010, what is your take on HID's that don't require wire cut. Could that be a problem?
Old 22nd November 2011, 03:22   #59
BHPian

Quote:
1) Insert the keys and turn the keys to a point where you can only start the car with the next turn.
2) Now turn the keys backwards or even pull it out.
3) Switch on the viper and the blade will sit in the out positiong for you to clean.

Secondly,

No matter what you want to change in the New jetta with respect to electronics, change it in the dealer place. ANything outside WILL void warranty.
Thank you for the tip. I'am sure I read it somehwere here before i got the car, but couldn't find it now. I have tried it out satisfactorilly.

I really do not think the dealer would void the warrenty just for a simple bulb change or such, even if done somewhere outside. That said, I would anyday prefer my car to be worked upon only by the service guys at the dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
I had done a lot of research on this aspect even before getting the delivery of the car. Here is the proof

But sadly due to the strict warranty policy of VW in India, I gave up the thought! (Lets face it, in India its a pretty expensive car and losing warranty on this one would be a nightmare)

I am using Llumar 35 neutral series (not entirely satisfied). Planning to go in for a change this weekend. There seem to be horizontal lines appearing on the window tints when seen from steep angle. Now I do not know if this a problem with the specific lot or all Llumars are like that. Till now I have used only V kool and Llumar films. The local dealer is pressing me to go in for Blaupunkt. Anyone has any idea how they are?

The manual does mention something about the TPM in the glove compartment but I did not find anything there. Let me know if you have any luck with it!

Even I have been looking for ways to auto fold the ORVMs, but in vain (although Skoda does have a way to do this by long press of some remote buttons). In my opinion, that is the only glitch that VW has left out in the car.

The only precaution I took was that during the initial 1000kms, I TRIED not to rev the engine above 2500rpms. Also avoided sudden surges in the tachometer. Cruise control should again be avoided during the initial runs. Other than that, no patterns. "Drive like you own the car"

It would be good if you could post a link to the Vento thread you were talking about.
Lamboguy, I have just today requested my brother to get the LEDs for DRL from the US when he comes home next month. I hope to fix it up at the dealership itself. Lets see.

I read somehwere that Blaupunkt are very good films, though not available here. After a bit of research, I find Llumar too to be good options, but the brand is not much in vouge here in Kerala, and I could not find many shops who had it in stock. Upon contacting the distributor, I was told they were out of stock and are winding up with Llumar due to lack of business. 3M is another option whcih I rejected because of the dispropotionately high cost for the higher premium series films. For a better overall price I got a good deal from Garware. I will have the Icecool series ELITE 50 for the sides and back, and for the front SHIELD 70.

I asked you about the TPM, only after reading about the bit in the manual. Thouhgt since you played with the VAG cord and settings, maybe you found out a way. Mods, any light to throw upon this topic?

Today evening I suddenly thought I had stumbled upon a way to automatically close the ORVMs. As I switched off the ignition, and removed the keys, the ORVMs closed by themselves and then opend! Many futile attempts followed, to try and replicate it, but to no avail! Still cannot figure out what I did, or maybe it was an electronics error, though cannot imagine such a thing from a mainstream European brand.

After going through the post about running in the engine in the tdi forum, what would be your take? I'm afraid, I have already used the cruise control twice. But henceforth that will be avoided. And I am more inclined to follow that advice, maybe just because thats what I have been unknowingly doing, and the writeup sort of justifies what I practised!

Here is the link to the Vento thread, as well as the link to the webpage featuring the ICE:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2583535

VOLKSWAGEN SERIES CAR----ZHUHAI WITSON INDUSTRIAL CO.,LTD.---Professional Car DVD Player Manufacturer

Witson Car DVD GPS With 8 Inch Screen for Volkswagen Cars (W2-D9235V) - China Car Dvd With Gps,Car Dvd Player,Volkswagen in Car Audio & Video

Quote:
Some of us are following the below link.
Break-in Period - TDIClub Forums

In otherwords lots of varying acceleration and RPM right from the word go.

We also do a clean up of the air filter once every month.

Thanks for the tip and the link. It was very useful. Alos, how would one go about cleaning the air filter? Should be done at a mechanic or is it DIY?

This link to a new thread should ward off at least some of the worries.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...anty-faqs.html

Maybe we can after all go in for some minor alterations now.
Old 22nd November 2011, 11:49   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Alos, how would one go about cleaning the air filter? Should be done at a mechanic or is it DIY?
Will post some pictures from the old jetta. I am sure the new jetta has similar set up as well.

Just remove the Air filter box, take out the filter, vaccuum it and put it back in. I do this atleast once a month.

No big changes to see or feel yet gives the satisfaction.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks