Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2012, 23:35   #91
BHPian

It's been 7 months now since the Jetta has come home but even now, everytime i look at it, my heart skips a beat! Nothing out of the ordinary to report here except for one. Got my ride a new pair of glairs. I got rid of the sub standard foggy Llumar tints and installed the 99% heat rejection VKools. The difference is phenomenal! Now I don't need to keep the cooling at max even during the horrible Mumbai summer.

Now here's something peculiar that I've noticed lately about the car. Me being a petrolhead, have always believed and also have been taught that low rpms = lesser fuel consumption. Keeping this in mind, I have been driving the Jetta keeping between 1000 to 1500 rpm in the city. Usually in full traffic, I used to extract something around 11 to 12 kmpl with the aforesaid driving pattern.

But lately I have changed the driving pattern a bit and I do let the engine rev upto 2000 rpm most of the times before an up shift. Now to by utter shock, the FE figures have jumped to about 14kmpl in equivalent traffic conditions. Can someone enlighten me as to why my logic is bring defied by the car? Or is it just a series of co incidences?
Old 1st May 2012, 01:58   #92
Team-BHP Support

Re: Meine Mädchen- The 2011 New Jetta - Comfortline MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post

Now here's something peculiar that I've noticed lately about the car. Me being a petrolhead, have always believed and also have been taught that low rpms = lesser fuel consumption. Keeping this in mind, I have been driving the Jetta keeping between 1000 to 1500 rpm in the city. Usually in full traffic, I used to extract something around 11 to 12 kmpl with the aforesaid driving pattern.

But lately I have changed the driving pattern a bit and I do let the engine rev upto 2000 rpm most of the times before an up shift. Now to by utter shock, the FE figures have jumped to about 14kmpl in equivalent traffic conditions. Can someone enlighten me as to why my logic is bring defied by the car? Or is it just a series of co incidences?
That is because the car has a turbo, and the engine is most efficient when the turbo just starts giving boost. I think the turbo in your case would start around 1800rpm, and just after that is the most efficient. Most people think lower rpms = best FE, but its not true. 1000-1500rpm is sacrilege and you wouldn't even get the turbo kick.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 08:12   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
That is because the car has a turbo, and the engine is most efficient when the turbo just starts giving boost. I think the turbo in your case would start around 1800rpm, and just after that is the most efficient. Most people think lower rpms = best FE, but its not true. 1000-1500rpm is sacrilege and you wouldn't even get the turbo kick.
Exactly what Akshay said. The Turbo kicks in just over 1750 RPM if I remember correctly. Its about being able to burn fuel better and more efficiently. The cars sweet spot is around the 2k RPMs range.
Old 1st May 2012, 23:58   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
That is because the car has a turbo, and the engine is most efficient when the turbo just starts giving boost. I think the turbo in your case would start around 1800rpm, and just after that is the most efficient. Most people think lower rpms = best FE, but its not true. .
Logical.

But does it mean 5th gear cruising @ 1700 RPM at say 80 kmph will be less fuel efficient than 2000 RPM at 100 kmph? Sounds unlikely. Because in all the fuel efficiency runs/competitions (which car manufacturers use for advertisement purposes), the turbo diesel (and petrol) cars throw up figures of 35kmpl+ by cruising at low speeds - like 60 kms per hour.
Old 2nd May 2012, 00:02   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234

The turbo kick is like an addiction now ! The turbo factor was my first guess but I wasn't sure if the economies arising out of optimum combustion with turbo would surpass additional consumption at higher RPMs.

In fact, I had once driven my friend's new DSG Jetta recently, that's what gave me the idea of shifting at near 2k levels.
Old 2nd May 2012, 14:00   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Logical.

But does it mean 5th gear cruising @ 1700 RPM at say 80 kmph will be less fuel efficient than 2000 RPM at 100 kmph? Sounds unlikely. Because in all the fuel efficiency runs/competitions (which car manufacturers use for advertisement purposes), the turbo diesel (and petrol) cars throw up figures of 35kmpl+ by cruising at low speeds - like 60 kms per hour.
Actually it is true. I have experienced the car gives a better FE while doing a steady 100 - 105 (1800 - 1900 RPM) rather than 70 - 80 (1500 - 1600). On a long open highway stretch, you can also chek out how it is behaving looking at instant FE numbers on MID.
vkaul1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 15:28   #97
BHPian

Quote:
The turbo kick is like an addiction now ! The turbo factor was my first guess but I wasn't sure if the economies arising out of optimum combustion with turbo would surpass additional consumption at higher RPMs.

In fact, I had once driven my friend's new DSG Jetta recently, that's what gave me the idea of shifting at near 2k levels.
Even I am getting around 14 kmpl in mixed city traffic, wherein the drive with turbo kicked in is limited. Now if you follow the gear recommendations on the MID, they suggest quick shifts even at slowly accelerating speed. So I get upshift recommendation even at 1500 rpm and strictly following it might give me lesser FE?

Any suggestions for driving while the car is brand new? Done around 210 km and I try to keep the rpms below 2k rpm at peak (sometimes while overtaking it just touches 2.5k before upshifting). But as you had said, the turbo is so addictive it is very difficult to keep it from revving at 2-2.2k.
Old 4th May 2012, 10:32   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrek_924 View Post
Any suggestions for driving while the car is brand new?
Put her through her paces, don't baby her too much! Take the car out for a spin on the expressway. Do some steady 2K RPMs without the cruise control. Give her short bursts of 2.5K and 3K. Get everything within heated and seated / sealed up properly.
Old 4th May 2012, 11:48   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrek_924
Any suggestions for driving while the car is brand new? Done around 210 km and I try to keep the rpms below 2k rpm at peak (sometimes while overtaking it just touches 2.5k before upshifting). But as you had said, the turbo is so addictive it is very difficult to keep it from revving at 2-2.2k.
I had done a fair bit of research on breaking in when the car was new. There was one conclusion... Do NOT use the cruise control. Don't baby it around by keeping it at low rpms. Also varying the rpms is a good idea. However at the same time don't cross the 3k mark as much as possible.

Finally... One advice I give to Tbhpians for this question... "Drive like you own the car"
Old 4th May 2012, 15:36   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayedongivadam View Post
Put her through her paces, don't baby her too much! Take the car out for a spin on the expressway. Do some steady 2K RPMs without the cruise control. Give her short bursts of 2.5K and 3K. Get everything within heated and seated / sealed up properly.
Unfortunately they (VW) have removed the cruise control from the new CL's. Rather I can say that the first lot of CLs had the steering mount of HLs and hence lamboguy's Jetta has the cruise control.
And going by the elegance the LED DRLs have put on your ride, I will soon be seeking your guidance on that!

A Saturday night spin on the expressway looks set now!

Quote:
I had done a fair bit of research on breaking in when the car was new. There was one conclusion... Do NOT use the cruise control. Don't baby it around by keeping it at low rpms. Also varying the rpms is a good idea. However at the same time don't cross the 3k mark as much as possible.

Finally... One advice I give to Tbhpians for this question... "Drive like you own the car"
I was keeping the car between 1k to 2k as much as possible and hardly have gone to 2500 rpms. But reading the above 2 posts feel like even above 2k rpm it wont harm much to the engine.

And I have been following all Jetta ownership threads from day one and had read this statement of yours long back on T-Bhp ("Drive like you own the car") and have been following this from day one with the Jetta!
Old 12th June 2012, 00:10   #101

A nice review of your lovely Jetta,lamboguy !
-I'm pretty new here and have been following the laura's and the the jetta's thread diligently on the forum !!
- Obviously i'm in a fix-whether to get a comfortline jetta or a laura elegance tdi.It seems that the more i read,The more i'm confused !
-The main drawback here in cochin is that there is a long waiting period for the Jetta-approx 3 months and yeah,i can imagine being a relatively new car,there's hardly any discount.I like the car for many reasons but the larger rear legroom is definitely more attractive than the laura
-As for the Laura,it's readily available with a fat discount on offer.

Could someone tell me besides the dsg variant available in the elegance trim of the laura,what are the differences between the comfortline jetta and the laura elegance tdi

Being selfish as it may seem,could someone post pics of the Jetta interiors with all the red buttons and knobs-preferably a night one !!

Joules
Old 18th June 2012, 17:07   #102

Quote:
The Car:

The Colour:
This is the hard part. The Leaf Silver colour is inexplicable. All I can say is that the car looks silver from some angles and light golden from other. There is a tint of golden on the silver base. The sad part is the colour cannot be exactly captured on a camera.
Lamboguy,

Has this colour the silver leaf been discontinued? Now they have a colour called moonrock silver which has a golden tinge to it.All the colours in the e-brochure are wrong i guess.Can u beat it, for the colour 'deep black pearl effect' the brochure actually indicates a light blue colour

Joules
Old 20th June 2012, 09:55   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joules
Lamboguy,

Has this colour the silver leaf been discontinued? Now they have a colour called moonrock silver which has a golden tinge to it.All the colours in the e-brochure are wrong i guess.Can u beat it, for the colour 'deep black pearl effect' the brochure actually indicates a light blue colour

Joules
I dont know if the colour has been discontinued or not but I really doubt that because of the number of silver leafs I am seeing on the roads has increased exponentially. I guess vw is just playing with the nomenclature.
Never ever trust the vw brochure for colour shades!! It's a disaster!

Last edited by lamboguy : 20th June 2012 at 10:02.
Old 24th June 2012, 00:37   #104

Lamboguy,

I think the colour is the same and by the way,finally made up my mind and have gone ahead and booked a comfortline moonrock silver jetta.Hope to have her in 7-10 days.
Joules
Old 29th June 2012, 21:56   #105
BHPian

Minor Update:
Received the pair of SMD LEDs for DRLs which I had ordered off DX. Planning to get them fitted either this or next weekend.

Major Stuff:
While browsing around the images of the Jetta Hybrid headlamps and excessively drooling over them, I stumbled upon this :

VWVortex.com - MK6 HID's! Woot Woot!

There is hope, after all, to get those HIDs and LEDs in our rides. Just hope VW here doesnt spoil the party with its warranty restrictions!

P.S.: Mr. Ayedongiveadam are you seeing this? This is one heck of a project where you could lead us all!

Last edited by lamboguy : 29th June 2012 at 22:06.
lamboguy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed