Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2011, 22:38   #1
BHPian

XUV 500 First impression/Test Drive

Note from Mod : The Official Mahindra XUV5OO review has been uploaded at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the review thread.

I could not post this in the official thread as its been locked but i think this is vital info for some.

Guy's who have booked or are going to book, Please make sure that you get the interior/exterior colors right alot of mis-communication has happened regarding color options from the sales consultants

The W6 does not come with the white body color
The W8-AWD does not come with the silver body color

1000/- cancellation Charges on White,Black,Silver.
Rest 12000/- OTHER COLORS

NO CANCELLATION CHARGE OF ANY COLOR OF THE "AWD" MODEL

Black and White come with the BEIGE interior tone rest of the colors come with Black interior tone.

Basic differences between W6 and W8 are

AIRBAGS
W6 - 2 (Front)
W8 - 6 (Front,Side and Curtains)

ELECTRIC FOLDING ORVM's
W6 - No auto/electric fold mirrors are available (only electric adjustment)
W8 - Electric folding/adjusting mirrors ( they fold when the car is locked and visa-versa)

ELECTRONIC STABILITY PROGRAM & HILL HOLD/HILL DECENT
W6- Not available
W8- AVAILABLE - ESP with Roll over mitigation,Traction control,Hill decent,Hill hold

ALLOY WHEELS with TPMS
W6 - Not part of the standard fitment
W8 - 5spoke with TYRE PRESSURE MONITOR SENSORS ( ALL 5 )

SEATS
W6 - Fabric seats
W8 - Leather seats

STEERING ADJUSTMENT
W6 - only TILT ( Up and Down)
W8 - TILT & TELESCOPIC ( Up,Down,Back & Forth)

INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM
W6 - Basic NON touch with Monochrome display with Bluetooth,Audio,Fuel range indicator,Reverse assist sensor display

W8 - 6"TFT Color display with Touchscreen fully loaded with Bluetooth,Audio,Video,GPS,Tyre pressure monitors, Service alerts(next service due and warning alerts ( lights,doors etc etc). Nice touch response.

The Bluetooth cannot be paired if the car is above 20Kms, it can take upto 6phones paring but only 1 can be selected at a time. It also displays contacts and sms's ( may vary from handset to handset). On board keypad is available to dial also.

DVD's will only work when the HAND BRAKE is applied.

Micro Hybrid function will not work when the engine is cold, or the battery is low. The Hybrid functions only when certain parameters are met.

GPS is from MAP MY INDIA fully functional.

The headlamps come with PROJECTORS but NO HID/XENON
DRL's function as parking lights in india, They only come on when parking is switched on. The lamp has has a BENDING LAMP that comes on when the car is above 30kmph and the steering turns more than 45deg

Center arm rest comes with a CHILLER. Its not a refrigerator it only keeps a COLD can cool.

Mood Lighting can be switched OFF also comes with a DIMMER.

2nd row seats come with only a Backrest adjustment but can be folded as well.

3rd row seats can only be folded and are more like Child seats, But they have an independent A/C blower control.

The Antenna is embedded in the rear glass it self.

Conversation mirror,Umbrella holder,Lipstick holder,Laptop holder are quite handy features too.

Fenders are ABS plastic for pedestrian safety

All 4 Disc with ABS Standard.

Puddle lamps,Follow me home-Lead me home lights, Ajar lamps, Assist lamps under the door as it opens

Mahindra has left nothing in the feature book it seems.

For people who are skeptical about the performance of the car be sure that its the NEXT GEN Mahindra, Its 2.2 MHAWK with 140BHP with VGT and 330NM torque, Engine reliablity is not a concern. All the problems of a Scorpio or Xylo have been taken care of. The car drives like a SEDAN and is free from any vibration being transferred into the cabin, Steering and Gear lever dont vibrate as well. The Steering and Gear lever as smooth as well, Suspension is independent in the front and multi-link in the rear engine is very smooth and silent

For people who are use to the Scorpio might take a few minutes to adapt the the power delivery, As its not as brutal and the engine is delivers power for improved drivablilty produces torque at low rpms also keep in mind that its a Front wheel drive.The car drive like diesel sedan the size is not felt during its drive. Very smooth power delivery.The turning radius is 5.4mtrs,The 6th gear can be engaged after 110kmph.

The tyres are 235/65/17 Bridgestone Duller H/T's on the W8 but they squeal very quickly but dont loose control while braking and cornering.

The plastic quality can improve

FE is 15kmpl under test conditions should give around 12-13 in city.

Please go and see the car with an open mind Mahindra has sure worked hard on this car and it reflects. A few down sides here and there but yet a very good product for sure.The car is bang for the buck at the moment. Rest the ownership review and long term review will define its fate.

Last edited by GTO : 13th October 2011 at 23:28. Reason: Adding link to our review + closing thread. Please add this info on our review thread
noidaboy is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 23:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: XUV 500 First impression/Test Drive

Good one noidaboy. Like I had posted elsewhere, it does 190kmph !

Did you drive it?
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 23:28   #3
BHPian

Just to add some more points . The AWD is not available in red color. Very true that it does not have the brutal force of a scorpio , but have torque between 1-1.5 k rpm. This is what is needed to crawl in a city like Bangalore traffic . Same time no nvh inside the car , gears stay where they need to, no vibrations, car is very smooth and feels like a diesel sedan . The car tyres say when compared to say scorpio is 235 r18 Vs r17 in scorpio . Some how feel this can have better tyres. For a suv this big air vents are missing . The orvm is very small for a suv this big. They close when we switch it off . Big relief as nobody can mess with the settings ( available only in a awd ). I read Jk writing that some one had done 190Km/ HR . I feel with a mhawk engine , 6 speed gear box , it's possible . Probably first Indian suv of this class with 6 gears .

Last edited by Ranga : 11th October 2011 at 23:32.
Old 12th October 2011, 00:25   #4
BHPian

Sorry moderators, but I strongly feel that the main thread should not have been closed till the time the road test came online. I know a lot of ppl were getting real restless, but still the forum did capture some interesting facts and opinions...
Joyb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 01:17   #5
BHPian

Quote:
ELECTRONIC STABILITY PROGRAM & HILL HOLD/HILL DECENT
W6- Not available
W8- AVAILABLE - ESP with Roll over mitigation,Traction control,Hill decent,Hill hold

The Bluetooth cannot be paired if the car is above 20Kms

Conversation mirror,Umbrella holder,Lipstick holder,Laptop holder are quite handy features too.
Some clarifications please

Does Esp include traction control cause there is no mention of it in the xuv500 specifications on m&m xuv website
No pairing of Bluetooth above 20 kph does this mean we cannot receive phone calls over Bluetooth when the vehicle is above 20 kph
Please can someone post a picture of the umbrella holder as i could not find one on xuv website or any of the external reviews of the xuv500

Last edited by benbsb29 : 13th October 2011 at 05:59. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 12th October 2011, 05:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
DVD's will only work when the HAND BRAKE is applied.

The tyres are 235/65/17 Bridgestone Duller H/T's on the W8 but they squeal very quickly but dont loose control while braking and cornering.
Thanks for the update, quick questions around what is stated above. Any clues if an extra screen can be put up which keeps playing DVD even when the car is on the move?

On the braking i have read elsewhere that its not confidence inspiring, did you feel the same as well or was it different. How would you compare the breaking to some other SUV's in this segment?
Old 12th October 2011, 06:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Good one noidaboy. Like I had posted elsewhere, it does 190kmph !

Did you drive it?
From fellow member bunnypunia who did a test drive. Check the video and we are talking of it shod with BS duelers.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 12th October 2011 at 09:34. Reason: fixing the video link
rjstyles69 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 07:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

@noidaboy,

Thanks for the detailed information. Its nice to know that M&M has brought the next gen SUV and at an affordable price. I guess the XUV will now eat into Scorpios numbers.

Could not understand the logic of DVD's being playable when hand brake is engaged, does it mean you cant watch dvd while SUV running. Why would the bluetooth pairing take place above 20kmph?

A few pics of the interiors would have added some gist to the post. Thanks anyways.
Old 12th October 2011, 08:01   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
No pairing of Bluetooth above 20 kph does this mean we cannot receive phone calls over Bluetooth when the vehicle is above 20 kph
No. It does not mean we cannot receive/make calls when the car is above 20kmph. It just means that we cannot connect our phone to the system when the car is above 20kmph. Just an added safety feature which ensures that we don't fiddle around with the phone when the car is doing more than 20kmph.

Edit : @ghodlur. Its the same reason for the DVD playback as well. Its designed to play DVD's only when the car is stationary. They monitor that with the hand brake.

Last edited by Kimified : 12th October 2011 at 08:06.
Old 12th October 2011, 08:32   #10
BHPian

Did any one check out with the brakes??I know its all disk brakes but still
Old 12th October 2011, 08:39   #11
BHPian

The sales executive @ Sireesh auto Bangalore also mentioned that the MapMyIndia subscription is free only for the first year. Is it true? Anybody knows how much does it cost per year after that?

One more difference between W6 and W8 is the leather wrapped steering wheel. It feels nice to hold.
Old 12th October 2011, 08:46   #12
BHPian

I read this review on some blog yesterday though. I am now wondering about 180 bhp xuv everybody is talking about, any idea guys if it would exceed above 12 lakh of W8. I feel 180 bhp is going to be AWD only.

@binoy22 yes brakes feel odd, for first few CM there is no feel, you do not know you are braking until you press a little harder.

Last edited by Mindgrinder : 12th October 2011 at 08:47.
Old 12th October 2011, 08:59   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
The sales executive @ Sireesh auto Bangalore also mentioned that the MapMyIndia subscription is free only for the first year. Is it true? Anybody knows how much does it cost per year after that?

One more difference between W6 and W8 is the leather wrapped steering wheel. It feels nice to hold.
Choice of plans
Register your product here for this offer.
Single update plan 990/- Purchase within 2 years of purchasing MapmyIndia Navigator
One year update plan (including 2 map updates in one calendar year) 1250/- Purchase within 6 months of purchasing MapmyIndia Navigator
Two year update plan (including 4 map updates in two calendar years) 1750/- Purchase within 6 months of purchasing MapmyIndia Navigator
Upgrade to Premium content for customers having street level maps 2000/- Single Upgrade for life tim

Source:- MapmyIndia Navigator Map updates For GPS Devices In India | GPS Navigation
Tushargohil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 09:02   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@noidaboy,

Could not understand the logic of DVD's being playable when hand brake is engaged, does it mean you cant watch dvd while SUV running.
Similar workaround was done in my Swift by Auto Fusion Bangalore

Old 12th October 2011, 09:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

DVDs can be played ONLY with the hand brakes ON??? I understand it would be a hindrance for the driver to play a DVD while driving, but then why provide it in the first place? The usually equipped DVD players in cars (Corolla) do not have this limitation and rightly so.
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed