Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2011, 14:38   #76
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Eon: Quick First drive and impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
So if people say Eon is a much better car than Alto and deserves its 50 k premium then i am afraid they also have to admit the fact that Beat and Figo base versions suddenly look to be much better options at the same price unless and until one is only looking for better mileage.
+1
Absolutly, I think MSIL should get fairly relieved. It has always been the same strategy for Hyundai to charge a premium for their cars and then blame it on interior quality.
With the introduction of Limited edition Alto, I think MSIL has done the right thing. However, there is still scope of price reduction.
Old 14th October 2011, 14:56   #77
BHPian

Given the fact that the prices are a bit on the higher side when compared to Alto. It would be interesting to see how Maruthi reacts to this. We all anticipated that Nano had the opportunity to dethrone the Alto, but it turned out to be wrong. The initial 3-4 months of sales are crucial in terms of instilling confidence among the buyers. Alto has a reputation built over the years. Let the Price wars begin!
Old 14th October 2011, 15:12   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

This is kind of overpriced but there are so many factors to be taken into account.

I might be wrong in what i'm going to say now but this car might do good in Tier 3 cities with their narrow bylanes and chillar traffic.When we purchased our Ritz,we were more than happy but it was shortlived.Here,either one should keep a small width car(read M800,Alto,Santro,WagonR,Nano) or muscle around in a SUV when people leave your way.If you have cars like Ritz,Swift,Figo,i20,Dzire,Indica,Indigo then dont get irritated when someone scrapes it intentionally or unintentionally.Moreover,you are bound to get stuck in traffic as you have to negotiate cycles,cycle rickshaws,autos and not to forget Magic,Gio and gang.So in such situations,if this car gives a feel good factor,one can take a plunge.We must remember that not everyone has to race around on highways and not everyone has to do highway commute everyday.Point A to Point B is what matters most.I have a friend whose Safari has done around 3k kms in 1 and half years just because he doesn't want to take it out in city traffic.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 14th October 2011 at 15:20.
Old 14th October 2011, 15:16   #79
Senior - BHPian

Pretty good pricing for the features that they have & styling. Infact Saw one on the road yesterday night and its size is similar to i10 from initial observation, and i would say its got a sharp horn the driver was honking like crazy
Old 14th October 2011, 15:31   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Alto K10 is a smaller % of Alto sales which are metro sales.
Alto k10 outsells the 800cc version in both metro and rural areas.
In fact Alto's sales numbers reached such massive numbers only after the introduction of the k10 version.
Old 14th October 2011, 16:05   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Alto k10 outsells the 800cc version in both metro and rural areas.
In fact Alto's sales numbers reached such massive numbers only after the introduction of the k10 version.
I beg to differ with you Sir on this. AFAIK, Alto 800 still sells way more than the K10. Also, dealers here are pushy about K10, since it does not sell in such great numbers yet.
Old 14th October 2011, 16:49   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica
The cluster has a gearshift indicator which indicates a shift to second at 30, 3rd at 40-45 range to encourage driving for maximum fuel efficiency. The motor is clearly tuned for efficiency (not the santro's best part) and it feels this way.
Is that true? Seems a bit like gunning the engine rather than encouraging driving for maximum efficiency!!

Great first drive review, Sid. I had recommended a family member check out this vehicle before deciding on their first car, and since their driving will almost only be in city, a small, efficient car was in order. Before this I would have suggested the K10, but is just too basic. Hyundai really does pamper one with the interior quality in all of their recent launches, glad to see that this one is no different.
Old 14th October 2011, 16:55   #83
BHPian

My two cents. From the looks and interiors the car is impressive; have been keenly following the car since the previews came out because of the seductively charming looks for a small car.
Disappointed by the pricing though. For a difference of 40 K spec-to-spec with Alto, many potential customers will simply move to a higher segment and buy an estillo/spark/santro instead of having premium interiors and an 800 cc engine. The first-time buyer in India is usually looking for VFM and Alto fits the bill perfectly there. Alto K10 makes a good proposition at the price point of eon and has a larger, proven K-series engine.

Few other considerations:

1. Weak low end torque - you'll have to rev-up the engine quite a bit for overtaking duty; guess will require more gear-shifts in city driving.
2. reasonably good leg-room in rear but a 4 seater. The 5th one will have to come on someones lap
3. 3-pot engine; many people (including me) are not a big fan of it
4. Hyundai service is losing the plot in some of the bigger cities. First hand experience in Bangalore. If the GM guys can offer a 10K, 3 year maintenance pack for spark, Hyundai has no business asking 5 K odd (at least for Santro) for first paid servicing in the fiercely-competitive entry-level car market.

Eon should sell well, especially with the youth who are looking for a good-looking car, but Hyundai has lot of work to do before it can de-throne the alto.
Old 14th October 2011, 18:02   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Is that true? Seems a bit like gunning the engine rather than encouraging driving for maximum efficiency!!
Yes this is true. As per the update in their website, the Eon has a digital gear shift indicator which shows the right gear for a specific speed so that maximum fuel efficiency can be obtained. Useful/nice to have utility I would say.
Old 14th October 2011, 18:15   #85
Team-BHP Support

I saw the Eon on the road today. It was a test-drive car. I was expecting it to be larger. It's quite a small car, I must say! It looked even smaller than a Santro next to it. It's about A-Star-ish, and Chevy Spark-ish I'd say. But It's a very well designed car. It's well proportioned. Not too tall, and not too narrow either.

It has some eye-catching design elements, like the high-position of the tail-lamps, and the curvy rear-windscreen. the soft lines that run long the side, and those large lights. It's a very cute car, and a bit like a shrunken and heavily sculpted i10. I like it more than the i10, honestly!

I wonder how people compared it to the Brio though, which has a much wider foot-print to begin with. It's a much bigger car, almost Swif-ish in terms of width and height. It's only not as long as the cars in that segment, and is about the length of the Beat. It's a whole lot more powerful too, and I'm sure, would be packed with better quality. It is a whole segment higher. The Eon, is strictly for the Alto and the Spark, IMO.
Old 14th October 2011, 18:41   #86
BHPian

Had a test drive today afternoon - overall good first experience.

Exteriors and interiors really good in my opinion - much better than competition. Rear seat is good - though 3 adults will be a real squasher. Front seats very nice and snug.

The drive - I was a bit skeptical, it being a 3 pot and Hyundai - but was pleasantly surprised - Initial acceleration was good with and without AC - on flat roads, it was pleasantly quick - though on an incline (with AC) the second gear was straining to pull the car. Once in 3rd gear, the car is a breeze and accelerated to 100 effortlessly. Straight line braking was good, though the brakes could have been a bit stronger.

Gear shift indicator was available like in i10 & quite useful - though when I was going really fast in 2nd gear , it did not show any 'gear up'.

Going fast - it gobbled up potholes and undulations quite well. Body roll was also quite well controlled. When slow, it was very well behaved too.

Sales guy was trying to push i10 - though I feel if one is going for FE, then this may be a better bet since it is only around 750kg.

Overall very good effort from Hyundai.

Now for the pricing, I think they are expecting to give discounts in a few months from now - given the trends we have with petrol cars these days
Old 14th October 2011, 21:08   #87

I was really waiting for this launch but am bit disappointed with the pricing! Around 4.5 L OTR for a 800CC (top end in Chennai) car is asking for too much IMHO :( The interior/exterior is for sure a segment above, but would have preferred Santro's Engine. Will personally look once back to Chennai and decide.
Old 14th October 2011, 22:34   #88
BHPian

I got to see Eon on road today. It was a test driven car with graphics all over it.
It looks pretty good in flesh and well proportioned which couldn't be made out in the pics. This car is hugely appealing for a first time buyer who would have otherwise settled for an alto.
Old 14th October 2011, 22:38   #89
BHPian

Found out that the top end Sports version costs Rs.443505 on road in chennai. The break up is as follows:
Ex-showroom: 382032
Insurance: 13473
Registration and tax: 48000
On road: 443505

4.5L for a 800cc 3-pot engine! I'd rather plonk in another 1.5L and get a top end A+ segment car or entry level sedan like the Nissan Sunny!?! What do you think? I need your help in making this decision.
prady16 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 23:23   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prady16 View Post
Found out that the top end Sports version costs Rs.443505 on road in chennai. The break up is as follows:
Ex-showroom: 382032
Insurance: 13473
Registration and tax: 48000
On road: 443505

4.5L for a 800cc 3-pot engine! I'd rather plonk in another 1.5L and get a top end A+ segment car or entry level sedan like the Nissan Sunny!?! What do you think? I need your help in making this decision.
Don't think of it only as 800cc 3-pot engine. It is a capable city car. Think of what you want from the automobile, then you'll know whether it is good enough.

Most Viewed