Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2011, 22:46   #31
BHPian

Re: Yet another Honda City thread...

[quote=gkrishn;2561383]i test drove the car today. few questions...
2. S MT comes to 9.20 as per whitefield honda. is that the standard discount? for 10k more, the lady said, that they will give sunflim and parking sensor(not sure what kind).
quote]
I can comment on only a few things since I am also new to the car...
  • I got my S MT for 9.2lakhs from Magnum Honda. I got the sunfilms and rear parking sensors for free. Please bargain hard and you should also get the same deal. I also got MapmyIndia GPS for 7K instead of 10K listed on the mapmyindia website( Magnum Honda claimed it was worth 15K).
  • Corsa sail is supposed to have a very good ride. Most Hondas fare poorly at this. Infact I felt Jazz to be worse than my old alto at city speeds.
  • You are going to scrape your city in Bangalore. That is for sure. But it is not as bad as it sounds. I would say 98% of the humps would not cause any problems. Thankfully, for me, I dont have any humps on the way to office which can be described as monstrous.
  • I keep the seat height at lowest too. I am 5' 10
  • FE display is pretty accurate( Less than 1km/lt difference)
  • The hump below the front seats are indeed designed to offer more comfort to the rear passengers. Also, there are air con vents under the front seats. If you change the air-flow setting to the one which blows both the the face and foot, rear passengers will also have their feet cooled
I think Jazz is unbeatable in terms of value for money. City is a better car, but you pay more.
iashishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2011, 23:09   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn
i test drove the car today. few questions...

1. what is that little hump in the leg area of the rear passenger(just below the front row seats). the lady claimed that it is a leg rest. is it?

I believe it is.
2. S MT comes to 9.20 as per whitefield honda. is that the standard discount? for 10k more, the lady said, that they will give sunflim and parking sensor(not sure what kind).

I guess you can squeeze out another 20k.

3. the engine had a good low end torque. but it was just with 2 people and ac on. what surprised me was, the engine noise, when i revved all the way upto 4k. it didn't sound correct. has any one driven that white city used to for test drive in whitefield honda?

I can't comment on that particular car but yeah my car gets a little loud too. I like that.

4. how accurate is that fe display? i know it will be optimistic. but by how much?

About 1.5 to 2 kmpl is what i noticed on my car

5. the ride was little bumpy compared to my rickety old sail.

Can be a little rough. Set the tyre pressure to 30 instead of 32 if there are only 1 or 2 ppl in the car

6. i took it over few mountain of bumps. didn't scrap at all. again may be that was because of only 2 people sitting in the car.
7. the leather steering cover in V, was very nice. will stanley be able to get that finish?
8. at 5'9, i didn't see any use for the height adjust. left it at the bottom most. when set little higher, my knee was scrapping some where below the steering.
9. the foot rest was really effective.
10. the central console looks little cheap.

i really liked the car. might end up buying, if jazz dosnt start rolling out sooner or later.

Find my thoughts in the quote above. Answering using a mobile device so please adjust with this
HKap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 13:14   #33
BHPian

Came back from Chennai yesterday. Odo is now showing 2100Kms. A few more points about the car -
  • There is no button on the key to release the boot. It has to be either opened from inside the car or have to manually insert the key and unlock it. Its a real pain when it is raining and your hands are full.
  • There is a light in the boot...nice!
  • Found a pretty good spot for the GPS. Will upload the photos in the next post. Some problem with uploading attachments.
  • VTEC roar is great for short burts. Gets tiring when cruising. This is a major drawback as you can't cruise about 120km/hr because of engine noise. Am i the ony one in tem-bhp who feels VTEC is too loud?
  • Honda city can cruise at 110Km/hr all day and at this point it is just below the VTEC activation point. Great for overtaking as a light tap of the foot activates VTEC and you are past the obstacle.
  • The mileage indicator showed 16.8km/lt when we reached chennai. It went down to 15.8 by the time we filled up because of chennai traffic and some acceleration test( to hear VTEC) at night.
  • During the return journey, I purposely kept the MID to odometer instead of average mileage and the effect showed. Got 15.1 km/lt when we checked in Kamat hotel near B'lore. Changed the MID again to average and managed to coax the average back to 15.5 by the time we reached B'lore.
  • I am now sure I can get 20km/lt if my life depends on it( ONLY if my life depends on it.)
  • Scraped against one hump at the start of the journey on the way to hebbal flyover to pick up a friend.
Regarding the slightly difficult gear change while downshifting ot 2nd, I found bluevolt's thread(Pg.18) where others have also complained of the same. Now that it is more than 6 months, can someone please update about the quality of the gearshift? Has it smoothened out?
iashishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 21:28   #34
BHPian

The original position of GPS was in the center of the windscreen, below the rear view mirror. It was affecting the view when I was turing left. So, here is position no.2 of the GPS
Yet another Honda City thread...-img_5392.jpg

Day-time view of the GPS. It is telling me to take the right side road in 1 Km. The 50 in a red circle is telling me that I am over the speed limit of 50km/hr. Unfortunately, mapmyindia thinks 50 is the speed limit for all highways.
Yet another Honda City thread...-img_5394.jpg
This is the second view of the GPS. The speedo of city was showing 120 when GPS was showing 112
Yet another Honda City thread...-img_5401.jpg
The second position was great, except that while recharging a wire went right in front of the passenger's view of the road. So, this is position No.3. So far so good...
Yet another Honda City thread...-img_5405.jpg

The servers are still acting up... Not able to attach all photos. Will continue in the next post.
Old 2nd November 2011, 16:01   #35
BHPian

Quote:
VTEC roar is great for short burts. Gets tiring when cruising. This is a major drawback as you can't cruise about 120km/hr because of engine noise. Am i the ony one in tem-bhp who feels VTEC is too loud?
that's pretty much what i noticed when i revved the test drive car in whitefield honda. the noise was coarse between 3k-4k, the max i took her upto.
Old 2nd November 2011, 17:30   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iashishi View Post
Had asked the sales person to put the darkest legal sun-film and I think it looks great
Attachment 830425

I got the sun films, rear parking sensors and teflon free from the dealer.
Hi Ashish,

Congratulations on the Car. Your city surely looks lovely on white, specially with the dark tinted windows giving it a coupe like profile!

Unfortunately, the cops are very strict here, and cars sporting such dark sun films are stopped and heavily fined.

BTW, which make is your Parking Sensor? How many sensors does this come with? Where have you installed your sensors? All on the rear bumper or one each on all four corners of the car?

Quote:
Headlights - Were terrible. Couldn't see a thing on the highway. Need to upgrade soon.
Scraping - Need to be watchful of some big humps.

I scraped the car quite severely when a bus muscled us off the road. This was the result of low ground clearance plus terrible headlights.
These two are the most common cause of distress to Honda City owners.

As you have seen on my thread, i have already addressed the GC problem. Next on my target is the Headlight Problem. Stay tuned
Old 3rd November 2011, 00:19   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
that's pretty much what i noticed when i revved the test drive car in whitefield honda. the noise was coarse between 3k-4k, the max i took her upto.
I would describe the noise as sportscar-like. Today I revved my engine all the way upto 7K rpm in second gear. It went upto 100km/hr and the feeling was awesome. However, this is fun only to put a pesky car driver who is trying to block you in his place. It is surely not fun to hear the noise for 30 minutes( if you are cruising above 120km/hr)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Hi Ashish,

Congratulations on the Car. Your city surely looks lovely on white, specially with the dark tinted windows giving it a coupe like profile!

Unfortunately, the cops are very strict here, and cars sporting such dark sun films are stopped and heavily fined.
Thank You. Yes, others also have pointed out that this sun-film could be illegal. Will keep them till some cop complains/fines me.

Quote:
BTW, which make is your Parking Sensor? How many sensors does this come with? Where have you installed your sensors? All on the rear bumper or one each on all four corners of the car?
I don't know the make of the sensors. I have all 4 sensors at the rear bumper. This makes reversing very easy. Inside the car, it looks like this -
Yet another Honda City thread...-img_5393.jpg
The distance read-out along with a very loud lady who keeps shouting "STOP STOP" whenever the distance reduces has ensured that my car is scratch free.

Quote:
These two are the most common cause of distress to Honda City owners.

As you have seen on my thread, i have already addressed the GC problem. Next on my target is the Headlight Problem. Stay tuned
Your honda dealer seems to be more lenient than the ones in Bangalore. Any time we try to change anything they start saying "warranty void". Others have tried 55/60w from OSRAM. I will follow your thread for sure!
Old 13th January 2012, 19:53   #38
BHPian

Got my car back from second free service(Magnum Honda,Kanakpura road). Total cost was Rs.4580. The break up is as follows -
  • Engine Oil - 986
  • Wash fluid - 44
  • Washer plug drain - 20
  • Waxoyl Underbody and wheelarch protection - 3500
Rest are taxes. So, If I had not gone for the underbody protection, the total bill would have come to around 1080Rs.

I also saw a bill of another Honda city which had done 1,18,000kms and it was 10,800Rs.

The only problem with the service experience was that the car had oil marks on its body when I went to pick it up. Had to ask them to clean the body properly which they did promptly.

Overall,the car is doing fine. The hard gearing when moving from 2->3 and viceversa still exists when the car is cold. Looks like it is common issue and other owners have also reported it. The service advisor blamed the type of oil used( no need to replace oil) for the issue.

The car has a sports and economy mode. If I keep the display at Odometer, the car and its driver goes into sports mode...revving the car to 5K rpm in second gear. Once I change the display to show the average fuel economy, I automatically shift to eco mode.

Checked the actual mileage after a long time. The car was showing a mileage of 12.0 km/lt while actual was 11.2 km/lt using tank full to tank full method.
Old 13th January 2012, 22:18   #39
BHPian

Quote:
I think I found the culprit for the headlight problem. I was driving with GPS on, it has quite a large screen which is lit brightly and pointing towards the driver. I think my eyes got adjusted to the GPS and hence could not see out properly. I switched it off in the city and found the headlights to be better

I have a trip planned to Chennai next week. Will check out the headlights with GPS off or re-positioned and let you all know.

In the meantime, can someone suggest a good place to keep the GPS? Right now, it is in the middle of the windscreen pointing at the driver. It blocks part of my view when turning left and also could be causing my night-blindness!
Most GPS units, have an option to switch on night mode automatically. Once enabled, the unit will check the time and switch the backlight to a different background color (black in my unit) and reduced backlight at night. I had MapMyIndia Delphi Nav 200 and 300 units and it was working on both. I can see this working even in Gthe PS software installed on Android phones.

May be you need to enable the feature. Once done, backlight will not bother you at night anymore.

Last edited by B103 : 13th January 2012 at 22:20.
Old 13th January 2012, 22:28   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
Even me thinks the same. Mine is City automatic. Car can easily touch 120 -125 without making much fuss. At this point, if I floor the pedal to gain more speed (in AT the gear will be downshifted), I can hear lot of engine noise inside the cabin. It sounds more like a "don't yank me this hard" cry from the engine. Naturally, fellow riders will be worried about safety and talk to you to slow down a bit. Subsequently, I used to release the floored pedal to everybody's relief.

Being a light car with a soft suspension and ivtec roar filtering into the cabin, I never felt very confident at speeds above 130 in the City. I have managed to touch 175 kmph for a short distance though.

What do you think?

Last edited by B103 : 13th January 2012 at 22:36.
Old 13th January 2012, 22:49   #41
BHPian

If you getting worried about the car's underbelly scratching the mountains built on Bangalore roads, then you can think of upgrading to 195/65 R15 tyres.

I did in mine and is escaping 99% humps now because the higher side wall adds to the ground clearance. The ride quality is miles ahead as well. The stock tyres are too underskinned for the City.
Old 14th January 2012, 02:00   #42
BHPian

@iashishi,

Nice thread and nice intimate buying experience-mate.Sorry for being late for the party.Have not been active due to lack of internet.

Congrats for the buy.Nice colour.Did not like the films.

Great to hear you are enjoying the drive.

@B103,

Your observation about City auto at high speed is experienced by me too.

What brand tyres you have upgraded to?
Old 15th January 2012, 20:47   #43
BHPian

@B103
Yes, I did discover the night mode of my GPS a while back. Had forgotten to update the thread. I am sure this information would help other newbies.

@charthom
Thanks for joining in!

Update:
Haven't yet got time to upgrade the tyres or the headlights. Went up and down the NICE road today. Cruising between 80 and 110 all the way. Got an indicated mileage of 17.1 kms/lt with AC.
Old 15th January 2012, 20:59   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
@iashishi,

@B103,

Your observation about City auto at high speed is experienced by me too.

What brand tyres you have upgraded to?
Iashishi, details are in my ownership thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...s-home-17.html
Old 16th January 2012, 12:52   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Got my car back from second free service(Magnum Honda,Kanakpura road). Total cost was Rs.4580. The break up is as follows -
  • Engine Oil - 986
  • Wash fluid - 44
  • Washer plug drain - 20
  • Waxoyl Underbody and wheelarch protection - 3500
Rest are taxes.
How many Kms had you car covered prior to the 2nd service? The reason I am asking is my car has covered only 2,600 Kms and I told the SA to do the oil change in the next service which is 6 months/10,000 KMS service.

The Honda Manual is not entirely clear what is the frequency of oil change 5,000 or 10,000 Kms?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks