Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2011, 12:17   #1
BHPian

Wanted Baleno, test drove Swift, brought Logan - My initial report

I own Maruti Zen, a 2002 model which has done one lakh Km till date; this car served me well for past five years. Off late my zen was having lot of issue and keeping her was not good from maintenance point of view, so decision was made to sell her off.

My requirement was next car should have a boot; three people should sit at the back, budget max 2 lakh after selling zen. The car that fit my budget was Baleno. Ford festia was out of race as getting one which has run less km was difficult to fit my budget, used diezer was commanding more than my budget. So the hunt started for used Baleno. For past six months I was looking for used Baleno, saw many of them but these were not in best of condition, I was looking for 2006, 2007 baleno. There were some Baleno listed in classified section of T-bhp, but a little back ground check confirmed the odometer set back by few km.

Disheartened, but not discourage. My wife’s cousin was with MFC, gave my requirement to him, he suggested Used Accent 2009 , very good condition but I did not like the color and also out of my budget. So back to drawing board.

Then one day my zen’s front wheel came off while travelling to a forest resort, Not actually came off but all four nuts were off the wheel and my wheel was stuck in the wheel arch, lucky for me. Then on the same day my car AC conked off, that set me thinking, This was one week before Diwali. Called wife’s cousin and discussed with him, he recommended swift which was available, had a good discussion with family and decided to booked used swift which had done 33K.

On 23/10/11 I with my wife went to see used swift, test drove and found to be ok, But color was not of my choice, There was one more swift, color black done 40 K but it was in their ware house. Went to their ware house and was looking at black swift. There was a White Logan at the back of the warehouse totally covered with dust, as if it has been there for years. Didn’t even give a look. I was busy checking the swift from all angles, price quoted was 2.50 Lakh. I said OK. Test drove the black swift and found to be OK. After the test drive we went back to park the swift back at the ware house. As I was parking the swift, my wife went to check the Logan which was covered with complete dust. After parking the swift I was looking out for my wife which was checking the Logan, went over to it and opened the door, and Wow the interior was clean. Opened the bonnet yes the engine bay was brand new. I Inquired about this car, following were the details which stunned me

Year of Manufacture – 2009
Color- white
Model Logan GLX ( I think top end )
Engine 1.4, petrol
KM run – 16 k
Total price after giving my zen – hold your breath just one lakh.
My entire requirement was fulfilled. Went through the car history and found that the car had been serviced only with service center.

Now the deal

What I got along with car, great music system with four speakers, new seat cover, a new battery, tyers are new, 16K service included.

The test drive was very good; in fact I took longer test drive, took it on Palm beach road and floored the accelerator, the car touch 160 in no time. The pickup is not that good, but who cares. Comfortable ride is what I expected even on pot holed roads.
I took the delivery on 25/10/11.

On 26/10/11 we went to Pune to meet our relative and that allowed me to test the car real power and its comfortable ride.

Initial review:

Car pulls to left, need to do wheel aliment.
Pick up is not that great.
Most comfortable ride even on pot holed roads.
Three people seat comfortable on the back seat.
Stock tyers are JK make, which makes lot of noise at higher speed, will replace in coming months.
I have not tested the average of the car may be in coming days I will try the tank full method.

More reviews to follow.

Pictures will follows.
Old 6th November 2011, 18:44   #2
BHPian

[quote="udaydesai"]I own Maruti Zen, a 2002 model which has done one lakh Km till date; this car served me well for past five years. Off late my zen was having lot of issue and keeping her was not good from maintenance point of view, so decision was made to sell her off.

My requirement was next car should have a boot; three people should sit at the back, budget max 2 lakh after selling zen. The car that fit my budget was Baleno. Ford festia was out of race as getting one which has run less km was difficult to fit my budget, used diezer was commanding more than my budget. So the hunt started for used Baleno. For past six months I was looking for used Baleno, saw many of them but these were not in best of condition, I was looking for 2006, 2007 baleno. There were some Baleno listed in classified section of T-bhp, but a little back ground check confirmed the odometer set back by few km.

Disheartened, but not discourage. My wife’s cousin was with MFC, gave my requirement to him, he suggested Used Accent 2009 , very good condition but I did not like the color and also out of my budget. So back to drawing board.

Then one day my zen’s front wheel came off while travelling to a forest resort, Not actually came off but all four nuts were off the wheel and my wheel was stuck in the wheel arch, lucky for me. Then on the same day my car AC conked off, that set me thinking, This was one week before Diwali. Called wife’s cousin and discussed with him, he recommended swift which was available, had a good discussion with family and decided to booked used swift which had done 33K.

On 23/10/11 I with my wife went to see used swift, test drove and found to be ok, But color was not of my choice, There was one more swift, color black done 40 K but it was in their ware house. Went to their ware house and was looking at black swift. There was a White Logan at the back of the warehouse totally covered with dust, as if it has been there for years. Didn’t even give a look. I was busy checking the swift from all angles, price quoted was 2.50 Lakh. I said OK. Test drove the black swift and found to be OK. After the test drive we went back to park the swift back at the ware house. As I was parking the swift, my wife went to check the Logan which was covered with complete dust. After parking the swift I was looking out for my wife which was checking the Logan, went over to it and opened the door, and Wow the interior was clean. Opened the bonnet yes the engine bay was brand new. I Inquired about this car, following were the details which stunned me

Year of Manufacture – 2009
Color- white
Model Logan GLX ( I think top end )
Engine 1.4, petrol
KM run – 16 k
Total price after giving my zen – hold your breath just one lakh.
My entire requirement was fulfilled. Went through the car history and found that the car had been serviced only with service center.

Now the deal

What I got along with car, great music system with four speakers, new seat cover, a new battery, tyers are new, 16K service included.

The test drive was very good; in fact I took longer test drive, took it on Palm beach road and floored the accelerator, the car touch 160 in no time. The pickup is not that good, but who cares. Comfortable ride is what I expected even on pot holed roads.
I took the delivery on 25/10/11.

On 26/10/11 we went to Pune to meet our relative and that allowed me to test the car real power and its comfortable ride.

Initial review:

Car pulls to left, need to do wheel aliment.
Pick up is not that great.
Most comfortable ride even on pot holed roads.
Three people seat comfortable on the back seat.
Stock tyers are JK make, which makes lot of noise at higher speed, will replace in coming months.
Did tank full to tank full and average I got is 12.43/l
Have not taken her on highway ,maybe in coming months.
Some pic

Name:  image1782092177.png
Views: 1866
Size:  628.0 KB

Ready for delivery

Name:  image3119950048.png
Views: 1909
Size:  738.9 KB

Left my zen at MFC, evening sun setting on her, served me well for 5 years
Attached Images

Old 7th November 2011, 22:43   #3
BHPian

Re: Wanted Baleno, test drove Swift, brought Logan - My initial report

Car is as good as new but then that also raises some doubts regarding car, first being if it's top end, why does it not have fog lamps?
2nd interior is as clean as new, looks like a vehicle was not even driven?
3rd the price is very low? if I am not wrong which again gives doubt of distress sale by owner leading suspension of car being a lemon or something not right

beside above car seems to be in fantastic shape and if you are indeed lucky u may have years of trouble free driving with this car
Old 8th November 2011, 17:10   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnt View Post
Car is as good as new but then that also raises some doubts regarding car, first being if it's top end, why does it not have fog lamps?
2nd interior is as clean as new, looks like a vehicle was not even driven?
3rd the price is very low? if I am not wrong which again gives doubt of distress sale by owner leading suspension of car being a lemon or something not right

beside above car seems to be in fantastic shape and if you are indeed lucky u may have years of trouble free driving with this car
This car has not been driven by the owner very much as he had two cars, the service history was checked when I brought the car, The clean interior that you see is because it was cleaned and serviced before I took the delivery, and I have taken this car from MFC where my wifes cousin works, so had trouble free experience. As for suspenson its in good nick.
Old 10th November 2011, 08:35   #5
BHPian

Need help from fellow members who own Logan 1.4 glx. I need car manual for reference, I can photo copy and return back.

Can any body tell me how to set trip meter to zero.
Old 10th November 2011, 10:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi Uday,
Wonderful piece you have got there. Congratulations!!
It looks in amazing shape and you have been lucky to get such a piece at this low price. BTW, what price did you get for your zen ?
Logan can seat not just 3 but 4 people in the back seat, it's so spacious. You have got a good car now take proper care of it and enjoy the space and ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaydesai View Post
Can any body tell me how to set trip meter to zero.
Do you see that Black button protruding out of the Speedometer console. Press it and the tripmeter should be reset to 0. If pressing doesn't work try rotating it. Either of one should work.
Old 10th November 2011, 11:01   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Good deal!

With rising prices, people are sure getting a good deal for petrol cars, especially the ones that aren't hot on the market.
Old 23rd December 2011, 21:29   #8
BHPian

Need help from fellow members who own Logan 1.4 glx. I need car manual for reference, I can photo copy and return it back.
Can any body tell me how to set trip meter to zero. Also is it possible to get my Logan serviced from maruti service centre?
Old 23rd December 2011, 22:25   #9
BHPian

Hi Uday,
Cogratulations for your Logan, from another happy and satisfied logan owner.

Coming to your queries, logan doesn't have different manuals for different versions. Its all a common manual for all the versions - 1.4 & 1.6gxx and 1.5dxx and all the trim levels. So if you can catch hold of any logan owner in your neighbourhood you can use his manual for reference.

For resetting the trip meter to zero, locate the small black stick coming out of the speedometer console, bring up the trip meter reading by pushing it once, and once the trip meter reading is displayed keep the stick pressed for a few seconds. Initially the reading will start flashing and then it will reset to zero.
Do you have ADIS or the advanced driver information system in your car? If that is there then you have to press the end cap of the wiper stack for bringing up the various items on the display.

For servicing, it is best to go to your nearest M&M service centre, maruti may not have the logan's oil filter, otherwise there is nothing major. It's mainly the engine oil change and oil filter replacement that is carried out during every service along with the other regular stuff like brake pad cleaning, clutch adjustment etc.

From the snaps that you have posted, it appears your car is a pre-2008 model. Please check whether it is really manufactured in 2009. Because in 2008 the new Logan was introduced (the one which i have), which has shades of black and silver in the interior plastics, whereas your car's interior is plain beige and black. Will try and upload some pics later to show the difference.

Hope this helps.

Max

Edit: Just checked your snaps, ADIS doesn't seem to be there in your car. So just play around with the small black stick protruding out of the speedo panel.

Last edited by 9tMax : 23rd December 2011 at 22:33.
Old 24th December 2011, 07:31   #10
BHPian

Thank you for all the information. I have checked my car papers, it's 2009 make. Just one more think, does 2009model comes with hydraulic clutch?

Uday

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tMax View Post
Hi Uday,
Cogratulations for your Logan, from another happy and satisfied logan owner.

Coming to your queries, logan doesn't have different manuals for different versions. Its all a common manual for all the versions - 1.4 & 1.6gxx and 1.5dxx and all the trim levels. So if you can catch hold of any logan owner in your neighbourhood you can use his manual for reference.

For resetting the trip meter to zero, locate the small black stick coming out of the speedometer console, bring up the trip meter reading by pushing it once, and once the trip meter reading is displayed keep the stick pressed for a few seconds. Initially the reading will start flashing and then it will reset to zero.
Do you have ADIS or the advanced driver information system in your car? If that is there then you have to press the end cap of the wiper stack for bringing up the various items on the display.

For servicing, it is best to go to your nearest M&M service centre, maruti may not have the logan's oil filter, otherwise there is nothing major. It's mainly the engine oil change and oil filter replacement that is carried out during every service along with the other regular stuff like brake pad cleaning, clutch adjustment etc.

From the snaps that you have posted, it appears your car is a pre-2008 model. Please check whether it is really manufactured in 2009. Because in 2008 the new Logan was introduced (the one which i have), which has shades of black and silver in the interior plastics, whereas your car's interior is plain beige and black. Will try and upload some pics later to show the difference.

Hope this helps.

Max

Edit: Just checked your snaps, ADIS doesn't seem to be there in your car. So just play around with the small black stick protruding out of the speedo panel.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th December 2011 at 07:52. Reason: fixing quote
Old 25th December 2011, 23:57   #11
BHPian

No, it's a normal cable driven clutch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks