Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2011, 15:40   #1
BHPian

My Tyrian Wine beauty! The Manza Elan

The famous ‘Manza Elan’ commercial, which had some Japanese guys exploring the new manza. Beautiful color, big space and the powerful 90 PS engine were some of the things they didn’t have. Well, I wanted them.

We were already looking for a replacement for our 5 year old Ford Ikon and the manza seemed to check all the boxes.

1. Space – Since the car was to be purchased for my grandfather who is quite tall, we needed extra space. Every inch of it.

2. Powerful engine – Though my grandfather has his own chauffeur and never drives, a good and powerful engine would always be needed when me or my dad drives the car.

3. Fuel efficiency and fuel type- Fuel efficiency is always one of the main criteria for us when we buy a car and Since petrol prices are constantly rising, our new car had to be a diesel.

4. Color – As soon as I saw the commercial, I was in love with the color of the car. The color was nice, elegant and plush.

Just a test drive was all we needed to go ahead with the decision of purchasing the car. We went ahead and booked the car. We were promised delivery after a month of the booking date. No worries there since we were in no hurry.

The accessories we opted for were- Floor mats and window films. We decided we would get some nice seat covers once we get the delivery of the car.

Finally, the day arrived. Dad got a call from the dealer saying that our car was ready for delivery and we could come and collect it. Since I was out of town, dad had to do the honors of bringing the car home. Obviously, he did not click any pictures or what so ever during the delivery. As per he tells me, within 10 minutes, they finished all the formalities and dad was ready to drive the car home.

I reached home a couple days later, unknown that our Manza Had arrived. As I reached home, I saw a beautiful and shiny purple sedan parked in the Ikon’s parking space. What a sight that was! The color was orgasmic and the car looked exactly like I had pictured it would look.

Exteriors

According to me, the Elan is the best looking sedan the ‘Tata’ stable has to offer. The front sports a traditional huge smiling grill like almost all Tata cars. The side profile too, is well designed and decent if not great. The rear however is what I really like. The tail lights look stunning and gives the car a whole new look. The car looks best from the rear. Plus, the tyrian wine color gives it a whole new sophisticated feeling. The alloy wheels look really good when clean, but again as soon as they are dirty, they look pathetic. It is a tedious job getting the wheels cleaned again and again.

Interiors

The interiors are pretty much the same as the Pre-Elan Manza’s. But instead of the beige plastics, purple color plastics are used all over, primarily the dash, door panels and the steering. It looks pretty good and definitely better than the beige which was offered before. The dash has a metallic silver finish and so does the steering around the steering controls. Though overall, I would give it a positive feedback, the fit and finish could have been a lot better. The plastic quality is definitely not up to the mark and a little more attention to quality would have worked wonders. The best part of the interiors is the rear space. It is the best in class and the best to be driven around in.

Features

All I have to say is that the car is loaded with features. Some of the features the Elan comes loaded with are:
Dual front airbags, ABS, Bluetooth connectivity, Steering mounted controls for audio and telephone, Multi information display, integrated audio system with 4 speakers, aux and usb connectivity, Alloy wheels, Rear armrest, electrically adjustable ORVM's, Illuminated Keyhole.

The multi information display shows information such as, average fuel consumption, instant fuel consumption, distance to empty and outside temperature. The steering controls are very convenient and ergonomically well made. They have a nice ‘click’ sound when one presses them. Bluetooth connectivity is a boon. The sound quality of the audio system is definitely not up to the mark. If you are in the habit of listening to loud music, upgrading the speakers is a must.

Engine and Drive

The engine is a turbo charged quadrajet engine which has 90 PS of power @4000 rpm and churns out 200NM of torque @ 1750rpm. As the figures suggest, it is indeed a very powerful engine. Turn on the engine, slot it into first and release the clutch slightly and the car instantly moves forward. You can shift to second gear without even pressing the accelerator once. There is a little turbo-lag, no doubt but it isn't anything you can't get used to once you get the hang of it. The turbo kicks in at around 1800rpm.
To sum it up, it can be driven as a nice highway cruiser as well as an aggressive beast. The suspension is very good and a lot better than my swift Dzire. It eats up small potholes and undulations with ease and the car feels well planted and sorted even at speeds in excess of 140+ kph. The gearshift and the clutch is a bit on the harder side. Drive the swift and the manza back to back and you will be able to tell the difference. Slotting the gear into first from second may need a little effort sometimes.

The Positives

1. The lovely Tyrian Wine color
2. Great Fuel efficiency. At a regular basis, the car returns 12-13kmpl in the city and around 17-18kmpl on the highway. I once managed to get 24kmpl on the mumbai-pune expressway
3. Steering mounted controls
4. Brakes are equipped with ABS and are very sufficient.
5. The turbo 'push' feeling when you are pushed back into your seat as soon as the turbo kicks in.
6. Phenomenal Rear seat. Extremely comfortable.

The negatives

1. Typical Tata build quality. Rattling started even before the first service.
2. The rear right side door has refused to open from inside on a couple occasions. Child lock had not been engaged.
3. Front legroom should have been a little better.
4. Alloys look really bad when dirty. Have to be cleaned regularly.
5. The controls for the left ORVM are not working properly since Day 1.

Things One would miss

1. Auto Climate Control should have been provided.
2. Front arm rest is missed on those long drives.
3. ORVM's should have been electrically fold-able as well.
4. A clutch foot rest is a necessity IMO.
5. Illuminated steering mounted controls would have added to the practicality and would have enhanced the looks.

The only accessory been installed as an After Market accessory, are the seat covers. I got custom stitched seat covers. A picture has been attached below.

Well, I think all that's left now are the pictures! So let them do the talking:

Note- This is the first time I've tried to click pictures of one of my cars. I have tried my best and I hope you like them

Let's Start off with some Exterior Shots!

Doesn't the picture just say it all? (That's My Vista Limited edition In the background.)
My Tyrian Wine beauty! The Manza Elan-img_2417.jpg

My Tyrian Wine beauty! The Manza Elan-img_2418.jpg

My Tyrian Wine beauty! The Manza Elan-img_2419.jpg

My Tyrian Wine beauty! The Manza Elan-img_2416.jpg

The alloys. Like I said, it takes a lot of effort to keep them clean.
My Tyrian Wine beauty! The Manza Elan-img_2420.jpg

The Huge and adequately powerful headlamps.
My Tyrian Wine beauty! The Manza Elan-img_2422.jpg

Time to go Inside!

This one is a starter picture. This is what you'll see when you enter the car.
My Tyrian Wine beauty! The Manza Elan-img_1664.jpg

When you're in the Driver's seat. Notice the texture of the steering wheel.
My Tyrian Wine beauty! The Manza Elan-img_1662.jpg

My Tyrian Wine beauty! The Manza Elan-img_2345.jpg

The Nice 'Blueish-White backlit cluster
My Tyrian Wine beauty! The Manza Elan-img_2356.jpg

The beautiful Dash. Basically silver, but has a golden tinge to it.
My Tyrian Wine beauty! The Manza Elan-img_2342.jpg

The A/C vents
My Tyrian Wine beauty! The Manza Elan-img_2341.jpg

The Head Unit. Looks simple and pleasing. A very good feature is, you can set 9 radio stations as your favorites.
My Tyrian Wine beauty! The Manza Elan-img_2338.jpg

A closer look at the LCD display. Small, but gives out quite a lot of information.
My Tyrian Wine beauty! The Manza Elan-img_2339.jpg

The Multi Function Display. Shows the average fuel consumption, instant fuel consumption, distance to empty, current time and outside temperature.
My Tyrian Wine beauty! The Manza Elan-img_2325.jpg

A closer look at the Steering Mounted controls.
My Tyrian Wine beauty! The Manza Elan-img_2333.jpg

The leather wrapped gear-knob. Yes, the leather has started chipping off.
My Tyrian Wine beauty! The Manza Elan-img_2326.jpg

The seat covers. Though dark brown in color, they compliment the interior very well.
My Tyrian Wine beauty! The Manza Elan-img_2365.jpg

The rear 'Sofa' as they call it! Ample of leg space;
My Tyrian Wine beauty! The Manza Elan-img_2353.jpg

The 'Foggy' effect?
My Tyrian Wine beauty! The Manza Elan-img_1663.jpg

The Huge comfortable Sedan. The dual scheme dark purple and beige interiors: Man, I just Love this picture!My Tyrian Wine beauty! The Manza Elan-img_1691.jpg

The fabric on the doors gets dirty easily and cannot be cleaned later on. Notice the back lit power window switch on the passenger door.
My Tyrian Wine beauty! The Manza Elan-img_1694.jpg

Well, I think that's it for now. I hope I haven't missed anything. If I have, it will definitely be added later on.

Any comments or suggestions welcome!

Last edited by DeKay : 8th November 2011 at 22:31.
Old 9th November 2011, 15:33   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: My Tyrian Wine beauty! The Manza Elan

Thread moved to public section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 9th November 2011, 15:47   #3
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car. The colour looks fantastic.
Did you consider/test-drive any other cars before deciding on the Manza? If so, how do they compare on the various parameters you listed?
Old 9th November 2011, 15:50   #4
BHPian

Let me be the first one to congratulate you DeKay!
Excellent review and brilliant pictures. I don't remember the Manza being so good looking!
Loved this car when you showed it to me. Has the rattling problem been sorted out after all?

Hope to see meet you again soon for a photo session with the Manza!
Rated 5 stars. Excellent pictures!
ContiMental is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 16:02   #5
BHPian

Congratulations on the purchase!
Do update us on the ride quality gradually.
Also, how is the GC when three heavy adults sit on the rear? Does it scrape the speed-breakers?

Nice pictures. What is the camera kit?
Old 9th November 2011, 16:17   #6
BHPian

Congratulations friend!

It is always a special feeling to own a new car!

IMHO, TATA has indeed come a long way in interior fit and finish, especially in Manza, Vista and Aria. I mean it.

An excellent choice I should say.

Wishing your grandfather happy motoring forever.

Last edited by rangarx : 9th November 2011 at 16:24.
Old 9th November 2011, 16:34   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a nice color on the Manza. I thought Elan came with leather seats; didn't it?

Couple of things I like about Manza are

1. Of Course, the Tyrian Wine color
2. The alloys
3. The white back-lighting - SUPERB !
4. The MID, features and all
5. Minimal engine noise
6. The high beam throw - not sure whether my uncle had upgraded the bulbs, but the high beams were lighting up the roads like a day !!

What I don't like

1. TATA niggles - My uncle's 6 month old car has started rattling
2. The MID was not lighting up properly - looks like a bulb conked off or so
3. The gear leather had faded like that of a couple of year old car!
4. The switches on the dash are a let down.

Anyway, wish you miles of happy & safe motoring.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th November 2011 at 16:35.
Old 9th November 2011, 16:51   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
That's a nice color on the Manza. I thought Elan came with leather seats; didn't it?

2. The alloys
5. Minimal engine noise
6. The high beam throw - not sure whether my uncle had upgraded the bulbs, but the high beams were lighting up the roads like a day !!

What I don't like

Yes, swiftnfurious, i can probably say, the Manza Elan is probably a very good car from the Tata stable, that can be called, well "efficiently" executive. The rattles, no doubt, are a problem in Tata, as well as other Indian vehicles, which unfortunately, is a BIG problem. If, and only, Tata could come up with better plastic quality and other little things looked on, they can come up with amazing vehicles, having a durability to last long enough, enought NOT to see those leather wrapped gear knobs wearing off, and sorts like that!
The color, Tyrian Wine, no doubt is probably the only color available in this segment of sedans, be it any brand. Something similar came up on the Honda Civic and was looked on, be it any random person walking on the streets. Well, this color is the same!
Old 9th November 2011, 22:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_joker View Post
Congratulations on your new car. The colour looks fantastic.
Did you consider/test-drive any other cars before deciding on the Manza? If so, how do they compare on the various parameters you listed?
I should have mentioned this earlier, but no, we did not consider any other car. Let's just say that my family (read My Dad) is a huge Tata fan. We have owned around 6-7 Tata in the past 3 years. Currently, we have the Vista, Aria and the Manza. As I mentioned, we were already looking to replace our Ikon and hence, when the Manza commercial aired, my Dad instantly fell in love with it. Plus, with what the car offers, I think it was the best option to opt for at the moment. Don't you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
Congratulations on the purchase!
Do update us on the ride quality gradually.
Also, how is the GC when three heavy adults sit on the rear? Does it scrape the speed-breakers?

Nice pictures. What is the camera kit?
Hi Mikon,
Thanks a lot for your comment.
Well, the ride quality is decent. Much better than my Swift Dzire for that matter. It absorbs small undulations with ease. Even when the road condition is very bad, the car remains sorted. The GC is definitely an issue, specially with these roads of Mumbai.

Yes, it does scrape the speed breakers sometimes. Just a week ago, my grandfather and I were being chauffeured to a temple. Both of us were in the back seat. We hit a bump at around 11-12km/h and the bottom did scrape. So you can imagine that it definitely would scrape with 3 heavy adults in the rear.
Hope this helps.

And I used my Canon DSLR 1100D with the Kit lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContiMental View Post
Let me be the first one to congratulate you DeKay!
Excellent review and brilliant pictures. I don't remember the Manza being so good looking!
Loved this car when you showed it to me. Has the rattling problem been sorted out after all?

Hope to see meet you again soon for a photo session with the Manza!
Rated 5 stars. Excellent pictures!
Thanks a lot conti! No, sadly the rattling problem has not been sorted. Will keep you updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
Congratulations friend!

It is always a special feeling to own a new car!

IMHO, TATA has indeed come a long way in interior fit and finish, especially in Manza, Vista and Aria. I mean it.

An excellent choice I should say.

Wishing your grandfather happy motoring forever.
Hey rangarx!
Thanks a lot buddy. Yes, it is a special feeling to own a new car and its god grace, this feeling keeps coming every now and then!
Yes, Tata has indeed come a long way when it comes to the three cars you mentioned. I happen to own all the three of them. But still, after all there are some classic "TATA Niggles" which we have been facing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

2. The alloys
5. Minimal engine noise

What I don't like

Hello swiftnfurious. Always nice to see your post.
Well, let me start by saying that no, The Manza doesn't come with leather seats. It would have been nice if it did, but its fine.

1. As per the rattling is concerned, My car had started rattling even before it completed 6 weeks, so your uncle is quite lucky in that matter!

2. I have not been facing any niggles with the MID (Thankfully). Did he get it checked?

3. Thankfully, I haven't faced any problems with the electricals. Except the ORVMs. Will get it sorted in the next service.

As per all the TATA niggles are concerned, you know what they say don't you? 'With a TATA, you have to be prepared.'
DeKay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 22:38   #10
BHPian

Cant wait for tomorrow morning's photoshoot of your Tata Manza. Thanks a ton for calling me!
Old 10th November 2011, 00:03   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on your new car. A very sensible and yet sporty car. The interior shots are very good. Wishing you many many happy miles with the car.
Old 10th November 2011, 08:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
I should have mentioned this earlier, but no, we did not consider any other car. Let's just say that my family (read My Dad) is a huge Tata fan. We have owned around 6-7 Tata in the past 3 years. Currently, we have the Vista, Aria and the Manza. As I mentioned, we were already looking to replace our Ikon and hence, when the Manza commercial aired, my Dad instantly fell in love with it. Plus, with what the car offers, I think it was the best option to opt for at the moment. Don't you think?
Yes, I think in it's segment(entry level sedan), it is the best option to opt for. I have not travelled far in the Manza, only one trip inside the city. I felt it was awesome, comparable to the 10-12 lac sedan segment.
Old 10th November 2011, 09:26   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Congratulations on your new car. A very sensible and yet sporty car. The interior shots are very good. Wishing you many many happy miles with the car.
Hi drmohitg,
Thanks a ton! I'm glad you liked them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_joker View Post
Yes, I think in it's segment(entry level sedan), it is the best option to opt for. I have not travelled far in the Manza, only one trip inside the city. I felt it was awesome, comparable to the 10-12 lac sedan segment.

Yes, it is pretty good and offers a very nice package overall. But I wouldn't compare it to the 10-12lac sedans present in the market today. Currently, The refreshed Vento is an excellent car, which is now an excellent package overall.
But yes, the Manza too is an excellent all rounder except for the TATA niggles.
Old 10th November 2011, 09:30   #14
BHPian

Congrats Dekay on the Tyrian wine beauty.The car looks stunning in this colour.Nice review and good pictures.The only thing I hate about Manza is the alloys-The Indica eV2,Vista and the Manza have the same alloys,but the design is superb especially in the Dual tone treatment.Drive safe.Happy motoring.
Old 10th November 2011, 09:36   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk 8896 View Post
Congrats Dekay on the Tyrian wine beauty.The car looks stunning in this colour.Nice review and good pictures.The only thing I hate about Manza is the alloys-The Indica eV2,Vista and the Manza have the same alloys,but the design is superb especially in the Dual tone treatment.Drive safe.Happy motoring.
Yes, you are absolutely right. Something else for the Manza would have looked wondrous. But again, what do you expect from a company which has designed the face of all its hatchbacks, sedans, station wagons and a crossovers similar to each other?
DeKay is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks