Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2011, 22:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Picked up my New Honda City! Update: Low GC & Headlight woes addressed

Congratulations on getting the Honda City.

Lovely photographs and write up. Do post some more pics and keep the thread updated.

Wishing you happy and safe driving!
Old 2nd November 2011, 08:30   #17
BHPian

A-Drive v/s ES100 Front View
Picked up my New Honda City! Update: Low GC & Headlight woes addressed-yokohamas.jpg

Side Profile.. Notice the difference in Tyre Height..
Picked up my New Honda City! Update: Low GC & Headlight woes addressed-yokohamas2.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Congratulations on the City!

Just when I thought the Citys were drying up on T-BHP, your's is the 2nd in short span.

The silver suddenly looks so good; good choice of colour.

As for the tyre upgrade, how're you finding the :

1) ride quality
2) GC difference
3) any visible odometer error

Have a wonderful ownership period!

PS : You've got the City at a mighty discount; you should splurge with a Caska; will give you an ICE as well as reverse camera
Thanks mate!

The results are great so far. First thing I did after changing the tyres was to head for that nasty speed breaker in our neighborhood.. and with four people on board, the car did not scrape

Ride quality remains same as before. With the limited amount of in city driving i have done after the mod, I wasn't able to notice any positive or negative change in the ride quality.

Will be checking the odometer's accuracy vs my GPS this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
congrats!! shes a beauty! loved the getz/1st ANHC pic!!

kya dada, the last 2 pics in 1st post are undeserving of your name/fame. We need YOUR level waali pikchas - dil maange more.
LOL... thanks Tau!

Please accept my apologies for these. They were taken with Yashu's Canon A495!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_wheelz View Post
Congrats !! She looks Lovely. And yes the A-drives Look much better than the Originals, they give that complete look , Just get a Can of Tyre Spray Polish and give them a spray.

Any more upgrades planned ? also please post the FE you get.

The other day i was generally asked mileage figures of a person who has a 2010 black ANHC - he replied 8 kmpl in City

BTW where did you get that True Speed Calculator ?

Thanks
Ryan
Thanks Ryan... glad you're liking this!

I havn't actually calculated FE figures as yet. Will surely post an update when I do.

Found the Online tyre upsize calculator here.

Have picked up the following stuff from Auto Mall for some TLC for my two Hondas..
Name:  IMG_4083.jpg
Views: 13010
Size:  415.8 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
Congratulations Vikash49. City is a lovely car. I had considered buying one but didn't, due to concerns with low GC.

Have you noticed any change in the driving dynamics of the car since the change of the tires? For example is there any noticeable difference in the torque?

And does changing the tyre have any impact on the warranty?
Thanks Sushil.

So far, no noticeable negative difference in driving dynamics, torque or overall performance of the car.

Had actually discussed with the workshop manager at the local ASC before going ahead with the mod. He was just concerned that due to the combined increase in both the tread width as well as diameter, the tryes could scrape the insides on the wheel arch at full lock.

Other than that, it was all ok as I was on OEM rims. Warranty would not be effected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Congrats Vikash on your new City, you should thank your missus for getting you a practical car ! If it fitted so nicely all your criteria , the car was in your destiny
cheers
Thanks Sourav.

You are so right here... there's no denying that this is a great car. I still hate the rear visibility though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Congrats on new City.

And very good research on Tire and height. If its 13 mm increase, so your city should never scrap even when 5 people are sitting? If this is the case this should be good initiative for all of us when who want to change tire and avoid scrapping..
Exactly. I will keep updating this thread with the positives and negatives of this modification as and when I discover them

If in case I face some problems or am not satisfied with this mod, I have the option of returning these tryes back to the dealer (at a slightly depriciated price depending on the usage) in exchange for a set of new 195/60s.

Now, how good is that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Congrats for the City. It certainly looks good in Silver. Which app is this for the speedo error calculation. Or is it just our good ol' Excel.
Happy mile crunching.
Thanks mate..

Found the Online tyre upsize calculator here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Congratulations on getting the Honda City.

Lovely photographs and write up. Do post some more pics and keep the thread updated.

Wishing you happy and safe driving!
Thanks Bluevolt!

It was yours and Masaab's ownership threads that I referred to extensively before going in for the City.
Old 2nd November 2011, 09:05   #18
BHPian

Upgrade 2 - In Car Entertainment

It was time to get the ICE fitted .. so I headed straight to my friend who happens to be the Distributor of ALPINE Car Audio Systems for the State.

This is what he recommended for my car.
Head Unit:

ALPINE CDE-W203E
Picked up my New Honda City! Update: Low GC & Headlight woes addressed-cdew203e.jpg

General
• Front USB Connection
• Factory / stealth looks
• Quick Search
• Full Speed AUX Input
• Bluetooth Ready
• Rotary Encoder
• Remote Control Ready
• Blue Illumination (red sub buttons)
• Steering Wheel Remote Control Ready(SWRC Ready)

Display
• 1 Line LCD Display
• White pixels

Bluetooth
• KCE-400BT Ready
• AV Profile Ready (including phonebook access and voice dial)

iPod® Compatibility
• iPod® 5G
• iPod® nano 1G - 3G
• iPod® classic
• iPod® touch
• iPhone®

Audio
• MP3/WMA Playback
• AAC Playback
• HPF
• Treble Center Freq. Cont.
• Bass Center Freq. Cont.
• Subwoofer Level Control

Output
• Amp: 4 x 50W MAX
• 1 PreOuts (2V)
• Power Antenna
• Remote On Signal

Four Speakers on all doors:
ALPINE SPG-17C2
Picked up my New Honda City! Update: Low GC & Headlight woes addressed-alpine_spg17c2.jpg

6-1/2" (16.5cm) COAXIAL 2-WAY SPEAKER x 4

Built to Handle High Power The new Type-G Series of component and coaxial speakers are designed and built to handle high power levels. This speaker also delivers good sound quality, due to a soft dome tweeter, square voice coil wire with Kapton bobbin and an audio tuned capacitor.

FEATURES
Tweeter

Tweeter Type: 20mm Silk Soft Dome Tweeter
Magnet Material: Neodymium Magnet

Woofer

Cone Material: Polypropylene Cone Pearl Mica Injection
Voice Coil Type: Square Voice Coil Wire
Magnet: Ferrite Magnet
Frame: Injection Mold Frame
Design: Long Excursion Design

SPECIFICATIONS
Power Handling

Peak Power: 240 W
RMS Power: 60 W

Dimensions

Woofer Mounting Diameter: 14.1 cm
Woofer Mounting Depth: 6.1 cm

General

Frequency Response: 68 Hz to 20 kHz
Impedance: 4 Ω
Sensitivity: 88.5dB / W (1m)
-------------------------------

I'm not a music freak by a long shot... so decided to stick with his recommendation. If I recall correctly, the MRP on the Head unit was 14,990 and that on the speakers was 4,990 per pair. I have no idea how much I'd actually be paying though, but of course, it'll be much less than the MRP.

There was no cutting or splitting of wires during installation. All the connections were modular.. and they used the pre-laid original wiring for the speakers.

Some photos post installation..

Picked up my New Honda City! Update: Low GC & Headlight woes addressed-img_4092.jpg

Picked up my New Honda City! Update: Low GC & Headlight woes addressed-img_4096.jpg

Picked up my New Honda City! Update: Low GC & Headlight woes addressed-img_4100.jpg

Showed the setup to Bhai who's a lot more into music than me, and he found the audio quality considerably superior to the OEM setup on his car. He also liked the discrete OEM looks.
vikash49 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 09:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your City Please do opt for alloys as soon as you can. Also, I would recommend going for Black alloys as it will match your car very well.

I am not a guru nor informed in ICE setups, but would again recommend you to go for Caska units. It will blend in nicely with your dashboard. I remember seeing a thread on the same (Caska in a City).
Old 2nd November 2011, 14:15   #20
BHPian

Congrats Vikas. I actually liked the black colored door handles and side view mirrors of the E MT model. However, lack of remote locking and central arm rest made me go for S model.

As for rear visibility, get rear parking sensors. It works quite well and I don't feel the need to use the rear-view mirror nowadays. Side-view mirrors and the loud beeps are enough for me to park in the tightest of places.

Tire upsizing is a great idea. Any thoughts on headlights? I find them inadequate for highways.
Old 3rd November 2011, 00:56   #21
BHPian

Hey vikas, congrats on your new car and welcome to the ever growing community of honda city owners. It is definitely a champion and still the car to beat in its segment.

Hey, I have done a tyre upgrade too. I switched to Michelin Primacy LC 195/60 R15's soon after I purchased the car. I am yet to face any issues because of this save for a small drop in mileage which I was aware of before I did the upgrade.
Old 3rd November 2011, 01:23   #22
BHPian

Congrats on the buy. It looks great. When are you getting the alloys? .

Your tire upsize looks perfect in the wheel arches. Can you post a pic of complete side profile of a city without upsize and with your upsize? I want to see how it fills the rear wheel arches as well.
However, with this upsize, dont you think that the suspension will face more load on it. This would inturn reduce the life of the suspension especially because of our bad roads/ no road conditions.
Also you have mentioned that it does not improve ride quality at all. What could be the reason for this especially because of greater sidewall.
Old 3rd November 2011, 10:31   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Congratulations on your City Please do opt for alloys as soon as you can. Also, I would recommend going for Black alloys as it will match your car very well.

I am not a guru nor informed in ICE setups, but would again recommend you to go for Caska units. It will blend in nicely with your dashboard. I remember seeing a thread on the same (Caska in a City).
Thanks there Ravan!

Alloys are definitely on the agenda. I'm looking for Lensos, but am unable to find too many choices. But I'm not going to make a hurried purchase and only buy something that i really like, even if means some waiting.

Thanks for your recommendation of the Caska. I've only heard good things about it so far. But at 40k+ it was beyond the outlay of 20k that I had planned for the ICE setup. Moreover, I'm not really so much into music to justify that much investment on the ICE setup.

Hence went ahead with the Alpine setup as mentioned above. How do you like it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iashishi View Post
Congrats Vikas. I actually liked the black colored door handles and side view mirrors of the E MT model. However, lack of remote locking and central arm rest made me go for S model.

As for rear visibility, get rear parking sensors. It works quite well and I don't feel the need to use the rear-view mirror nowadays. Side-view mirrors and the loud beeps are enough for me to park in the tightest of places.

Tire upsizing is a great idea. Any thoughts on headlights? I find them inadequate for highways.
Thanks Ashish. Lack of remote locking is really bugging me. Thanks for the Parking Sensor idea. Will check these out in the weekend.

Headlight upgrade is coming next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBug View Post
Hey vikas, congrats on your new car and welcome to the ever growing community of honda city owners. It is definitely a champion and still the car to beat in its segment.

Hey, I have done a tyre upgrade too. I switched to Michelin Primacy LC 195/60 R15's soon after I purchased the car. I am yet to face any issues because of this save for a small drop in mileage which I was aware of before I did the upgrade.
Thanks FireBug!

Congratulation of your tyre upgrade. The Primacy LCs are great tires and heard lots of good things about them.

The slight drop in fuel economy is but a small trade off against the huge gains in grip levels and road noise.
Old 3rd November 2011, 11:37   #24
BHPian

Upgrade 3 - Headlights!

Picked up a pair of Philips X-Treme Vision 60/55w H4 bulbs from my friend (Alpine Distributor) as they're also Distributors for Philips Automotive Lighting.

Will let the pictured do the talking ...

Picked up my New Honda City! Update: Low GC & Headlight woes addressed-xtreme-vision1.jpg

Picked up my New Honda City! Update: Low GC & Headlight woes addressed-xtreme-vision2.jpg

Picked up my New Honda City! Update: Low GC & Headlight woes addressed-xtreme-vision3.jpg

X-Vision vs OEM bulbs..
Name:  IMG_4073.jpg
Views: 9811
Size:  403.9 KB

Looks great inside..
Picked up my New Honda City! Update: Low GC & Headlight woes addressed-img_4109.jpg

I wouldn't say the X-Vision is pure white. But its 'less yellow' for sure..
Picked up my New Honda City! Update: Low GC & Headlight woes addressed-img_4069.jpg

Now time for the results..

Picked up my New Honda City! Update: Low GC & Headlight woes addressed-oelow.jpg

Picked up my New Honda City! Update: Low GC & Headlight woes addressed-xvlow.jpg

Picked up my New Honda City! Update: Low GC & Headlight woes addressed-oehigh.jpg

Picked up my New Honda City! Update: Low GC & Headlight woes addressed-xvhigh.jpg

These bulbs are a direct fit and completely OEM spec. No relays, no heavy duty wirings, no ceramic holders, no heating issues at all. In fact you can replace them yourself, just like I did. No implications on the warranty either!
And to top it all, these just cost you 900/- bucks for a pair!

What do you say guys?
vikash49 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Hence went ahead with the Alpine setup as mentioned above. How do you like it?
Its very neat and I like it! As I said before, I am not much of an audiophile and hence love minimalistic setups and yours is very nice!

Also, your photographs are pristine. Which DSLR do you use?
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Its very neat and I like it! As I said before, I am not much of an audiophile and hence love minimalistic setups and yours is very nice!

Also, your photographs are pristine. Which DSLR do you use?

Thanks again. Glad that you liked the photos. While few are taken with my Cellphone, most of the better ones are shot with the Canon 50D + Canon 10-22mm UVA combo.

EDIT: This post now takes me a BHPian!

Last edited by vikash49 : 3rd November 2011 at 15:43.
Old 3rd November 2011, 16:02   #27
BHPian

Re: Upgrade 3 - Headlights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Picked up a pair of Philips X-Treme Vision 60/55w H4 bulbs from my friend (Alpine Distributor) as they're also Distributors for Philips Automotive Lighting.

Will let the pictured do the talking ...

These bulbs are a direct fit and completely OEM spec. No relays, no heavy duty wirings, no ceramic holders, no heating issues at all. In fact you can replace them yourself, just like I did. No implications on the warranty either!
And to top it all, these just cost you 900/- bucks for a pair!

What do you say guys?
Very neat pictures buddy. Well shot and clealry shows the difference between the OEM stuff and the Philips.

Looks like you're having a great time with the car and with the phase by phase modifications, your thread keeps me glued to it.

And yes, neat looking ICE unit there too!

Drive safe.
Old 3rd November 2011, 16:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
Very neat pictures buddy. Well shot and clealry shows the difference between the OEM stuff and the Philips.

Looks like you're having a great time with the car and with the phase by phase modifications, your thread keeps me glued to it.

And yes, neat looking ICE unit there too!

Drive safe.
+1 to your comments. this is one set of pictures which prove the increased lighting with these bulbs. Pl post in auto lighting thread.
Old 4th November 2011, 11:02   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
this is one set of pictures which prove the increased lighting with these bulbs. Pl post in auto lighting thread.
Thanks guys. Glad you liked these.

I made the effort taking all those photos and posting here so that fellow City owners could benefit.

Also posted in the Auto Lighting thread as suggested by Goandude

A few photos..

Love that orange lighting..
Picked up my New Honda City! Update: Low GC & Headlight woes addressed-img_4093.jpg

I wish the plastics were softer to the touch on the steering wheel. Looks great though
Picked up my New Honda City! Update: Low GC & Headlight woes addressed-img_4094.jpg

Got these Top Gear seat covers fitted. Matches well with the interior color theme.
Picked up my New Honda City! Update: Low GC & Headlight woes addressed-img_4105.jpg

The 'Big H'
Picked up my New Honda City! Update: Low GC & Headlight woes addressed-img_4107.jpg
Old 5th November 2011, 09:24   #30
BHPian

Upgrade 4 - Horns!

Though I neither believe in or advocate unnecessary honking, however there are a certain breed of road users (read: rickshaws, hand carts, autos, dogs and cattle) that just won't give way unless you drive them off with a loud honk!

And armed with a single horn even smaller than those found in 100cc commuter bikes, our humble Honda City is woefully inadequate at this.

So, picked up a pair of Hella Horns..

Picked up my New Honda City! Update: Low GC & Headlight woes addressed-20111101-12.01.17.jpg Picked up my New Honda City! Update: Low GC & Headlight woes addressed-20111101-12.02.04.jpg

Post installation...

Picked up my New Honda City! Update: Low GC & Headlight woes addressed-img_4045.jpg

Picked up my New Honda City! Update: Low GC & Headlight woes addressed-img_4046.jpg

This is SO much better now!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks