Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2013, 14:11   #136
BHPian

re: My BlueBerry! VW Vento TDi HighLine. EDIT: 2 Years Update & Audio Upgrade

@Mods: Kindly change the name of the thread to:
My BlueBerry!! Vento TDi HighLine EDIT: 2 Years Update (Audio Upgrade). PG 9.

So Blueberry completed 2 years on the 23rd October. The car has clocked 34K Kms. Would try to keep the update as short as possible.

1) The engine still impresses me. The driveablity is superb. The drivetrain I would say still is like new. The engine has smoothened and the engine noise most of the times is lesser than earlier. Gearshifts are still crisp. My Clutch lever continues to stay hard and sometimes in stop and go traffic, your calf muscles really start paining. Other than that everything is as it was. Brakes are holding up pretty decently as well. I have not changed the brake pads yet.
2) No rattles as such. The Door squeaks are there. Somedays when the car gets cleaned, the squeaks go for a couple of days. Those days the car is relly silent even on rough roads if driven sedately.

All in all I am pretty happy and satisfied with the car. I have recently invested in a car cover and it has made my life significantly easier. It puts some swirls, but they are not very deep and far less and easier to remove than the torture the car goes through without the cover.

The crappy JK tyres have started showing their colours. One tyres keeps loosing air (Nitrogen). I got it thoroughly checked for a puncture twice but couldnt find one. I dont know whats the issue. Would be switching the tyres around 40K mark. The tyres produce some humming noise sometimes and because of their very stiff nature I have to keep them slightly underinflated for city use. 30psi Front and 29Psi Rear (Nitrogen).

Some pics of the car:
My Blueberry! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 75,000 km update on page 12-dsc_0634.jpg
My Blueberry! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 75,000 km update on page 12-dsc_0635.jpg
My Blueberry! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 75,000 km update on page 12-dsc_0638.jpg

The story of Blueberry's 2nd birthday gift is coming up next.
Here's a trailer:
My Blueberry! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 75,000 km update on page 12-dsc_0639.jpg

Last edited by Rachit.K.Dogra : 31st October 2013 at 14:13.
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 00:13   #137
BHPian

So here is the story of Blueberry's 2nd Birthday gift. I wanted to gift something to Blueberry on her 2nd bday gift. Audio Upgrade, Spa treatment or something. Didnt want to spend too much but wanted to gift the car something.

Somehow while discussing upcoming long drives, I told my wife that I wanted to enjoy these drives and the thought of Audio upgrade creeped in. But I was in major apprehension as I didnt want to spend too much, plus the idea of getting the interior opened up was still bothering me. Consulted a few friends and TBhpians and somehow decided to go for it.

Here was the plan:
Budget around 15-17K. Front components and Rear Coaxials. 4 Channel Amp I already had.

I called Motor Concepts and confirmed availability. He called me immediately as he was free and in the excitement I also went the same day. Took my wife along. It was already 3PM on Sunday when we reached there. He suggested Front Comps and a SUB. Fellow Tbhpians had also suggested that, but I didnt want to get a sub so chose the rear coaxials instead.

Components - Rainbow Dreamlines
Rear Coaxials - Foal Audio 165 something
Amp - Alpine F300 (Already had)
Wiring - Focal 8 gauge
Hi Low Converted - Connect
Damping - Doors only (STP)

Total Damages 30K. Now once everything was done and I audtioned, the setup was missing something. The comps were very good, but they were the only good thing in the setup. The Co axs were completely overshadowed. Anyways it was already 8:30 PM and we started back. As soon as we started and wife heard the setup she said is this 30K? She was not happy. It was not punchy enough.

Actually the backdrop is that my earlier car had a sub and a pair of small 1000Rs dashboard speakers. So you can imagine that it was a very bass heavy setup and our ears were used to that.

The biggest surprise, my wife tells me get the SUB. Lets spend some more and get this thing complete.
Well, I obliged. The next day I was back at Motor Concepts. Got the Co-axs removed and stock speakers were put back in the rear and got the Sub. Rainbow Dream Line S12. I audioned Infinity Kappa as well as it was the recomnded sub, but because I didnt have a Mono amp, I think it was not getting enough power to perform optimally and hence didnt sync with the rest of the setup. These synced well.

Final Damages: 40K. Overshot the initial budget by only 2.5 times.
Break Up:
Rainbow Dream Lines - 14K
Rainbow DLS12 SUB - 12K (with 1 cubic feet sealed box)
Wiring Focal 8 gauge - 3K
Hi Lo Converts (2) - 1K each so 2K.
Damping 4 doors and Boot - 6K

Other miscelaneous around 3K. I paid exactly 40K. I lost some money on Focal Co Axs while returning them.

Final Impressions:
1) Decently balanced setup considering the Head Unit is stock and Amp is not a audiophile level amp.
2) Good quality songs play really well. Sad part is I dont have a lot of good quality songs. Please tell me where can I download good quality WMAs or MP3s.
3) Average quality music plays decently well. Overall pretty happy.

Note: Interiors of the Vento are put together very well. Whenever a plastic part was pulled open the locks made a tight loud noise.

Motor Concepts did a very fine job. The installers gave me my space. The quality of workmanship is very good. Attention to minute details like cliping wires together, covering metallic thinks with foam and stuff was good. Till now no unusual sound I think from the car. Lets see how she holds up. My fingers are crossed.

A big thank you to fellow Bhpians for constantly helping and advicing and recommending and pumping me to invest in ICE @ACE, @Anshuman, @Safari Beast, @NKapoor. Thanks guys.

Some WIP Pics:
My Blueberry! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 75,000 km update on page 12-picture-001.jpg

My Blueberry! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 75,000 km update on page 12-picture-002.jpg

My Blueberry! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 75,000 km update on page 12-picture-003.jpg

My Blueberry! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 75,000 km update on page 12-picture-004.jpg

My Blueberry! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 75,000 km update on page 12-picture-005.jpg

My Blueberry! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 75,000 km update on page 12-picture-007.jpg

My Blueberry! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 75,000 km update on page 12-picture-006.jpg

My Blueberry! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 75,000 km update on page 12-picture-008.jpg

My Blueberry! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 75,000 km update on page 12-picture-009.jpg

My Blueberry! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 75,000 km update on page 12-picture-010.jpg

My Blueberry! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 75,000 km update on page 12-picture-011.jpg

My Blueberry! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 75,000 km update on page 12-picture-013.jpg

My Blueberry! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 75,000 km update on page 12-picture-014.jpg

My Blueberry! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 75,000 km update on page 12-picture-015.jpg

My Blueberry! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 75,000 km update on page 12-picture-016.jpg

Last edited by Rachit.K.Dogra : 1st November 2013 at 00:17.
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 08:01   #138
BHPian

Awesome work !! Would love to hear the sound. Few questions

1. Where did you get the tweeter hosted? Ovrm quarters ? Or A pillars?
2. Did you try infinity kappa for the comps?
3. Where was the amplifier wire routed? Any cut in the firewall?
4. Was your parcel tray rattling before? I see you got the tray damped as well. Any improvement in NVH from tray?
5. How much did he charge for STP ? Per square feet?
Old 1st November 2013, 10:38   #139
BHPian

Super work!! I am sure you and your wife are enjoying it.

I can see that there is a space to house speakers in the rear parcel tray. Can we use that space to house speakers ?
Old 1st November 2013, 15:06   #140
BHPian

re: My BlueBerry! VW Vento TDi HighLine. EDIT: 3 Years & 50,000 Kms update on Pg11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post

I can see that there is a space to house speakers in the rear parcel tray. Can we use that space to house speakers ?
no, will need to cut to make space for ovals magnet. strictly not recommended.
newtonMeter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 14:40   #141
BHPian

re: My BlueBerry! VW Vento TDi HighLine. EDIT: 3 Years & 50,000 Kms update on Pg11

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Awesome work !! Would love to hear the sound. Few questions

1. Where did you get the tweeter hosted? Ovrm quarters ? Or A pillars?
2. Did you try infinity kappa for the comps?
3. Where was the amplifier wire routed? Any cut in the firewall?
4. Was your parcel tray rattling before? I see you got the tray damped as well. Any improvement in NVH from tray?
5. How much did he charge for STP ? Per square feet?
Thank you very much newtonMeter. You can let me know anytime you want to audition the car.

1) The tweeters are placed on the OVRM quarters. Sorry I missed to click that one. They are stuck and bolted I guess on that panel. They are placed outside.
2) I didnt try the infinity Kappa comps. I auditioned only 2. Rainbow Experience lines (Around 9400) and Rainbow dreamlines (14000). To be honest finding one within these 2 itself was very very difficult but in the end went with the recomendations. Good quality songs played better with Dreamlines whereas I FELT normal mp3s played better with experience lines.
3) Most of the wiring was routed through the plastic clading of door sills.

4) My parcel tray was not rattling, but getting it damped from the boot was impossible because of the way Vento's boot is. Hence had to get it removed and then damp it. Removing it was not a very pretty sight I would say. A lot of things have to be opened. But thankfully no ratling yet after putting it back. Cant say of NVH levels specifically from the tray but overall road noise and suspension noise has definately come down because of damping.

5) Not sure about per square feet but he charged 1000 per door and 2000 for the boot. I guess he mentioned 2 sheets will be used for the boot so I am assuming 1000 per sheet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post

Thank you very much CRV2010. Yup we are enjoying good music now. Just came back from a 1200Km round trip to my hometown in Himachal. Having good music is a plus on long drives.

Quote:
no, will need to cut to make space for ovals magnet. strictly not recommended.
As newtonMeter mentioned, to get speakers fitted to rear parcel tray you will have to gas cut the area I think. Vento has 2 layers of metal on the parcel tray area. The lower layer block the access to upper layer hence fitting speakers wouldnt be possible until you cut the lower layer. Vento's doors also has 2 layers of metal.
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 12:02   #142
Senior - BHPian

Wah Wah Rachit! good write up and am sure the setup sounds great...

Once the comps and sub break in and settle down (in about 25-30 music hours), you will be able to find more crispiness in sound. Let's catch up and audition Blueberry's ICE during next meet.
Old 19th November 2013, 20:56   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Wah Wah Rachit! good write up and am sure the setup sounds great...

Once the comps and sub break in and settle down (in about 25-30 music hours), you will be able to find more crispiness in sound. Let's catch up and audition Blueberry's ICE during next meet.
Thank you very much Ace. I think over this period of couple of weeks and plus a couple of long drives has made me appreciate the setup even more.

My ears are still getting used to good quality sound and I think overall, the setup came out really well. I had not expected more honestly.

Thank you for all your support and advices. The audition is definately due.

One thing is that I think the tightness of the car like doors and stuff is slightly gone now. On rough roads the car is more noisier, not as such rattles but generally the same amount of silence is not there. But I guess that is a fair tradeoff which one needs to make with custom ICE setups.

Regards
Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 17:52   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
One thing is that I think the tightness of the car like doors and stuff is slightly gone now. On rough roads the car is more noisier, not as such rattles but generally the same amount of silence is not there. But I guess that is a fair tradeoff which one needs to make with custom ICE setups.
Well, its not a fair trade for many! But given the build quality of VW, I am guessing your car should fare better than our Hondas and Suzukis.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...-installs.html
Old 11th February 2014, 21:03   #145
BHPian

So the car was nearing 40K Kms, and I was really irritated with the stock JK tyres. I know I should have swapped them earlier but it took me sometime to realize how crap they were. The ride had become so uncomfortable that most of the times I felt there is no suspension in the car. To kind of compensate that I used to run 30psi all round considering most of the times it was either me or my wife with me in the car. This kind of helped slightly, but only slightly.

I spend some big money on the ICE and that kind of delayed my tyre changing plans and I was just thinking about it day in and day out.

So we were going to Kurukshetra early morning to attend a friends wedding and only me and my wife were in the car. We took a loo break in Murthal and I noticed that rear left tyre had slight less air in it. It didnt seem alarmingly low or anything and I thought I will get it rectified when we reach Kurukshetra. I was doing around 80-90 and the road was getting better so thought of slightly picking the pace. So started doing around 100Km/hr. I had only gone around 5-6 Kms, I was overtaking a truck when something happened and car suddenly started shaking and I immediately realized its a puncture. Thankfully I was able to control it and stop at the side.

This is the sight that greeted us. First reaction was thank God we were safe and nothing happened. I was slightly shocked as well as to why should a 2 year old, 40K Kms done very carefully kept tyre burst? This tyre never had any puncture too.
My Blueberry! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 75,000 km update on page 12-jks.jpg

Anyways we thanked our stars and changed to the spare and went ahead. Came back and immediately spoke to a couple of BHPians and decided on Yoko AVS DB as the replacement. I always had these tyres in mind because of some good reviews I got from BHPian friends.
Size 196/60/15.

So the Deal was, 5630 per tyre minus 100 each for 3 tyres that I returned. Balancing and Alignment and new nozzles for each tyre free. The place I got it from is Bridgestone Super Store in Sikanderpur market, Gurgaon. I think the franchisee is TSV tyre mart or something. They are very proffesional and their Balancing and Alignment prowess is very good. I have experienced their services earlier hence decided to give business to them although I was getting a slightly better qoute of 5500 per tyre from Reliance Autozone. They didnt have the tyre in stock but arranged them from different shops for me. Overall very happy with their services and highly recommend them.

Initial Thoughts:
Well I had thought that I would take some time to feel the difference of these new tyres, but within the first half KM, I could feel perceivable difference in Ride Comfort and noise the car makes over bad roads.

One question:
I am not sure if the construction of this tyre is like it or what, I got 30PSI on all tyres and the tyre looked under inflated. The next day I got them to 32PSI all around, but the tyre still looks under inflated. I am planning to go 34 all around and see how it behaves. Any pointers on ideal air pressure for these would be appreaciated.

This is how they look:
My Blueberry! VW Vento TDi Highline. EDIT: 75,000 km update on page 12-yokos.jpg

CHEERS!!
Rachit
Old 11th February 2014, 21:10   #146
Team-BHP Support

Your tyres are wider than stock, which is why they bulge out more and may look under inflated. Stick to 30psi it will give you the best ride, though for highways 32 would be better.

The stock JKs are nonsense, though the tyre burst may have happened due to heat. When the pressure is too low the tyre heats up faster. If you even have a slight doubt about the pressure always get it checked ASAP and do not continue driving to your destination unless you have no choice. Sometimes the pressure may be less than 20psi but it may not seem so looking at the tyre from the outside.

Oh, and congrats on the new shoes, I'm sure the Vento must feel like a new car after the crappy JKs.
Old 11th February 2014, 22:02   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Your tyres are wider than stock, which is why they bulge out more and may look under inflated. Stick to 30psi it will give you the best ride, though for highways 32 would be better.

The stock JKs are nonsense, though the tyre burst may have happened due to heat. When the pressure is too low the tyre heats up faster. If you even have a slight doubt about the pressure always get it checked ASAP and do not continue driving to your destination unless you have no choice. Sometimes the pressure may be less than 20psi but it may not seem so looking at the tyre from the outside.

Oh, and congrats on the new shoes, I'm sure the Vento must feel like a new car after the crappy JKs.

Thank you very much Akshay. Yes, the difference is substantial in the way car handles bad roads. Also there is gliding feeling to these tyres which feels very nice. On 32PSI too, they seem to be quite comfortable. Will try sticking to this air pressure.

What dissapoints me is that, VW by fitting these bad tyres as OE tyres is just making all the research that has gone to make Vento a good car waste. I mean what would it cost them to give good OEM tyres, lets say around 4-6 thousand more. I mean just add it to the price and atleast give users a good experience. Why waste all the research they have put into the ride of the car for 4-6K Rs. Silly I would say.
Old 11th February 2014, 22:42   #148
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Thankfully I was able to control it and stop at the side. This is the sight that greeted us. First reaction was thank God we were safe and nothing happened. I was slightly shocked as well as to why should a 2 year old, 40K Kms done very carefully kept tyre burst? This tyre never had any puncture too.
Good to know everyone is safe and you are able to control the car. Two weeks back one of my relative had similar situation in his Swift, with OEM JK tyre @16,000kms, had front left tyre burst at 70-80kmph speed. He couldn't control and had to crash his car to a big tree. Fortunately everyone in the car were wearing seatbelts, he was discharged from ICU after 4 days.

In this situation also, the tyre which got burst was low on pressure and it was discussed, before start of trip. Anytime driving on highway with lower tyre pressure can result in tyre burst. So all ensure that before long travel, to check tyre pressure.
manjubp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 12:08   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much Akshay. Yes, the difference is substantial in the way car handles bad roads. Also there is gliding feeling to these tyres which feels very nice. On 32PSI too, they seem to be quite comfortable. Will try sticking to this air pressure.

What dissapoints me is that, VW by fitting these bad tyres as OE tyres is just making all the research that has gone to make Vento a good car waste. I mean what would it cost them to give good OEM tyres, lets say around 4-6 thousand more. I mean just add it to the price and atleast give users a good experience. Why waste all the research they have put into the ride of the car for 4-6K Rs. Silly I would say.
Awesome tyre choice sir. Did you contemplate CPC2 and Michellin 3ST?
Old 27th February 2014, 19:37   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Awesome tyre choice sir. Did you contemplate CPC2 and Michellin 3ST?
Thank you very much newtonMeter. Actually No, I did not consider any other tyre. I initially was thinking of A-Drives but on recommendations by Anshuman straight away went to the shop and got the AVS DB.

Looking at threads and so many tyre options was making me confused, so chose the recomendation instead and I really trust Anshumans recomendations.

Most Viewed