Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2012, 01:12   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura vRS : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
Congrats Azeem and Vishal on your new rides.

@TSI Experts.. I have few questions about the turbo.

What is the make of turbo.
What is the boost pressure.
Is it an FGT or VGT.

I searched in the net but could not get any conclusive answers.
Thanks in advance.
This should answer all your queries

New Audi 1.8 TFSI Engine Revealed
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 09:58   #137
BHPian

Hi All,

I have been looking to buy a TSI here in mumbai. Discounts are decent. Following confusions:

1. 2 dealerships quoting that there is no 2012 manufactured model available. One stating that 2012 is there but is giving much less discount on it. 2011 is Dec manufactured. What do you suggest, 2011 Dec should be good enough (mostly assembled in Feb-Apr 2012)

2. Somewhere in the earlier posts, read that next yr 3rd gen octavia might come, any concrete news on that. Am tempted to buy one today given the fact that VW is using the 1.4 TSI, so don't want to miss an opportunity to buy 1.8 TSI.

3. If I get an RS, it would really be a stretch, and then if its not so comfortable for the family in the rear, i would kick myself. So can the RS owners mention their experience with the suspension against the Ambition TSI. The 3 things that I would miss the most in the Ambition TSI are autofolding ORVMs, sun/moon roof and better rubber. Need your suggestion on this.

4. Last, should I wait for Dec for more discounts, or take the plunge now when the discounts are mouthwatering?

Looking forwards to hearing from you.

Last edited by Shreyas Aterkar : 27th August 2012 at 09:59. Reason: Small modification
Old 27th August 2012, 17:54   #138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Aterkar View Post

3. If I get an RS, it would really be a stretch, and then if its not so comfortable for the family in the rear, i would kick myself. So can the RS owners mention their experience with the suspension against the Ambition TSI. The 3 things that I would miss the most in the Ambition TSI are autofolding ORVMs, sun/moon roof and better rubber. Need your suggestion on this.
The RS is stiffer than the TSI, but it is not uncomfortable by any means. At lower speeds the stiffness is noticeable, but go above 40 odd kmph and it settles down nicely.

If the only reason you are looking at the RS is folding mirrors, sunroof and better rubber then don't buy it. If you want it for the black interiors, touchscreen, xenons, better handling, sports seats then it makes sense.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 10:59   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I have been looking to buy a TSI here in mumbai. Discounts are decent. Following confusions:

My previous car was a Civic and always I felt the rear suspension too soft for my liking. Soft setup gave a good city ride, on highways and at high speeds its not so nice. Now with vRS, the rear is more stiffly sprung.
Ride is little crashy on potholed roads but not a deal breaker. This setup gives better confidence on high speeds also. And a regular TSi will be some where in between a Civic and vRS.

About the folding mirrors, It really doesn't fold completely like say a verna or civic mirror. IMHO, the other extra features in vRS is worth for the price diff against TSi. I selected it because of the black interiors and sports seat.
BTW I have completed 2000Kms and my average mileage so far is 8.6 Km/l 100% bangalore city driving.
motor_breathing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 13:34   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The RS is stiffer than the TSI, but it is not uncomfortable by any means. At lower speeds the stiffness is noticeable, but go above 40 odd kmph and it settles down nicely.

If the only reason you are looking at the RS is folding mirrors, sunroof and better rubber then don't buy it. If you want it for the black interiors, touchscreen, xenons, better handling, sports seats then it makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
My previous car was a Civic and always I felt the rear suspension too soft for my liking. Soft setup gave a good city ride, on highways and at high speeds its not so nice. Now with vRS, the rear is more stiffly sprung.
Ride is little crashy on potholed roads but not a deal breaker. This setup gives better confidence on high speeds also. And a regular TSi will be some where in between a Civic and vRS.

About the folding mirrors, It really doesn't fold completely like say a verna or civic mirror. IMHO, the other extra features in vRS is worth for the price diff against TSi. I selected it because of the black interiors and sports seat.
BTW I have completed 2000Kms and my average mileage so far is 8.6 Km/l 100% bangalore city driving.
Thanks for the feedback Akshay & motor_breathing! I agree that the features of the RS justify the incremental price, I was just contemplating what are those which will be used by me the most and then trying to see if I am justified spending the additional amount. Well frankly I am ready but my family (read wife and then parents) won't allow me to spend those extra 2.5 lakhs (thats what it seems like), though I will try and show them the RS and see if they agree (I know they will agree if I insist, but their resentment is enough for me to not go ahead). As of now its the Ambition TSI, though am checking a few cars this weekend - fluence, elantra, altis, xuv and duster (xuv and duster coz just want to explore them once). This is just to ensure that I have driven more than a few cars, though from the begining it was either the Tjet or the Laura .
Old 28th August 2012, 16:17   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

1. 2 dealerships quoting that there is no 2012 manufactured model available. One stating that 2012 is there but is giving much less discount on it. 2011 is Dec manufactured. What do you suggest, 2011 Dec should be good enough (mostly assembled in Feb-Apr 2012)

2. Somewhere in the earlier posts, read that next yr 3rd gen octavia might come, any concrete news on that. Am tempted to buy one today given the fact that VW is using the 1.4 TSI, so don't want to miss an opportunity to buy 1.8 TSI.

4. Last, should I wait for Dec for more discounts, or take the plunge now when the discounts are mouthwatering?

Shreyas: The TSI has always been a popular car on T-BHP with all of us enthusiasts lapping it up since its debut. Now with interest levels in the RS steadily going north, makes it just super-duper! Anyway irrespective of what you end up picking from among her trims, the Laura is a driver's delight and I guarantee, you won't regret your decision of buying this amazing piece of machinery.

As has been well documented, the regular TSI and the RS behave quite differently; almost entirely owing to the fact that the RS is quite stiffly sprung and rides on the shorter 55 profile sidewalls on 16-inch rubber. The Ambition rides much softer and rarely will there be any harsh thuds going through the cabin when you go over pot-holled roads. On the other hand, the RS will grumble (and sometimes revolt) even on less-than-perfect roads at low speeds but overall the ride is certainly not bone-jarring by any stretch of imagination. Being a proud RS owner, I'd say go for the RS any day if you can pull the extra cash through. It's worth the goodies man.

Which dealerships have you spoken with btw? Since I bought mine not too long ago, I might be able to help. In my book, even a December 2011 car is good enough provided it is "well-rested" in the dealership stockyard and you inspect it thoroughly. Remember warranty starts from the day you drive her out of the dealership. As a matter of fact, if the discount over the 2012 model is significant, it is a compelling alternative. Nothing wrong with that.

Reading through your requirements, a word of caution though: keep in mind, the Laura is best intended and designed as a 4-seater. So on long distance drives, you're quite likely to make an enemy out of the 5th passenger. Plus it has average rear bench legspace unlike the Optra/Jetta which are quite roomy at the back. So if you're going to be using her full load most of the time or predominantly as a family sedan, the Laura might not be such a good idea!

Should you need any more help/clarification, don't hesitate to shout out. Goodluck buddy!

Last edited by Omtoatom : 28th August 2012 at 16:36.
Omtoatom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 18:33   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
Anyway irrespective of what you end up picking from among her trims, the Laura is a driver's delight and I guarantee, you won't regret your decision of buying this amazing piece of machinery.

overall the ride is certainly not bone-jarring by any stretch of imagination. Being a proud RS owner, I'd say go for the RS any day if you can pull the extra cash through. It's worth the goodies man.

Which dealerships have you spoken with btw?

Reading through your requirements, a word of caution though: keep in mind, the Laura is best intended and designed as a 4-seater.

Should you need any more help/clarification, don't hesitate to shout out. Goodluck buddy!
Thanks Omtoatom! Really helful post. I totally agree, I was against buying a skoda due to the *** horror stories, but once I drove this car, it just won my heart and I have given all the reasons to my family for not buying anything else other than the laura.

I agree that the RS is worth the extra price but my family is finding hard to digest me spending 15 lakhs on a PETROL car and then if I increase the budget by another 2-2.5 lakhs, I am in for a hard time at home . Though they are right from their perspective and I respect their views, I also know that they will agree to what I say. But I think buying an RS will only be on the spot decision when I sit to finalize the negotiations.

I have spoken to Senator (very eager in giving a test drive, not yet quoted me a price), Autobahn Andheri (W)(best deal as of now) and JMD Thane (they have promised the best deal once I finalize).

Regarding laura being a strictly 4 seater, yes we experienced that when I took a test drive with my family. Since the sales exec was sitting in the front seat my parents and wife had to take the rear seats and the middle seat was very very uncomfortable but then my reply was that on weekdays I drive with 2-3 on board (carpool) and its very rare that we have 5 on board so for that infrequent occurrence I cannot buy a car which I don't like to drive. After some long discussions they agreed.

Lastly, would appreciate if you could PM me your number, if you don't mind will bother you with my queries.

Thanks again!
Old 30th August 2012, 15:23   #143
BHPian

Update - No 2012 available, ANYWHERE in NCR. I talked to all dealers and ZIP, nothing. Only 2011 models and max discount of 1.7Lacs.

Am I crazy or is skoda trying to market, advertise and sell a car which they are not making.

Honestly if it were like march 2012 i'd have considered going for a 2011 model. But this is ridiculous.

Escalated to Skoda Customer Care, and got a generic feedback and redirect to the same dealer who told me the above line, and guess what... same line.

I'm totally lost. I've moolah ready, just cant find a damn 2012 model.
Old 30th August 2012, 15:29   #144
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Update - No 2012 available, ANYWHERE in NCR. I talked to all dealers and ZIP, nothing. Only 2011 models and max discount of 1.7Lacs
Why do you want a 2012 model? There are many TBHPians who have purchased 2011 models in 2012 and are happy with them. Any specific reason?
Old 30th August 2012, 17:38   #145
BHPian

Purchasing a car built nearly 12 months ago sux. Its been sitting in a warehouse for a year. I'm surprised at Skoda honestly.

Also this is going to be purchased on company name so they need 2012 build date for a new asset.. go figure.

I dont mind getting less discount for a 2012, but the damn car isnt available!!!!
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 17:47   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Am I crazy or is skoda trying to market, advertise and sell a car which they are not making.
They are trying to market and sell a car which is not selling and unsold inventories don't justify new production. AFAIK even the Ambition TSI is hardly available with 2012 production dates.

Quote:
I bought an Ambition (earlier called Ambiente) TSI in May last year. I am sure I would have gone for the RS if it was available then. The Ambition is quite bare as far as features is concerned.

Since the TSI was not available in any other trim I had no choice but to go for the Ambiente. I found the wheels to be too small for the power on tap and was hurting the looks too. Hence I upgraded to 16" L&K alloys at the dealership and got 205/55/16 Michelin Primacy LC tyres outside. I am a family man and though love sporty handling, I don't like the idea of subjecting the family to harsh ride quality during family outings. I find the combination of the suspension set up on the Ambiente and the 16" PLCs to have hit the sweet spot for me as far as ride and handling balance is concerned.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 19:08   #147
BANNED

Quote:
I dont mind getting less discount for a 2012, but the damn car isnt available!!!!
Would you be ok buying a 2012 vRS from Bangalore on a TR and getting it registered in the NCR? If so, I can probably arrange it.
Old 31st August 2012, 12:03   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I bought an Ambition (earlier called Ambiente) TSI in May last year. I am sure I would have gone for the RS if it was available then. The Ambition is quite bare as far as features is concerned.

Since the TSI was not available in any other trim I had no choice but to go for the Ambiente. I found the wheels to be too small for the power on tap and was hurting the looks too. Hence I upgraded to 16" L&K alloys at the dealership and got 205/55/16 Michelin Primacy LC tyres outside. I am a family man and though love sporty handling, I don't like the idea of subjecting the family to harsh ride quality during family outings. I find the combination of the suspension set up on the Ambiente and the 16" PLCs to have hit the sweet spot for me as far as ride and handling balance is concerned.
Hey thanks for your reply!. I agree as I said earlier, RS is worth the extra money. Just that, I am not sure if I want to stretch myself that much. And as you put it TSI ambition suspension set up with an upgraded rubber (along with alloys) would be great. I checked the same with the dealer here, he quoted me 75k for elegance trim alloys and tyres. I thought that its too much. How much did the upgrade cost you and I hope the warrant is not void because of the upgrade from outside?
Old 31st August 2012, 12:55   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey thanks for your reply!. I agree as I said earlier, RS is worth the extra money. Just that, I am not sure if I want to stretch myself that much. And as you put it TSI ambition suspension set up with an upgraded rubber (along with alloys) would be great. I checked the same with the dealer here, he quoted me 75k for elegance trim alloys and tyres. I thought that its too much. How much did the upgrade cost you and I hope the warrant is not void because of the upgrade from outside?
Yeah the swap is quite expensive. It worked out close to 60K for me. I don't think the warranty will be affected in any way, since I have fitted original Skoda alloys that too supplied by their own dealer. Even the wheel size is same as those offered on the Elegance, L&K , RS etc....

I suggest you retain the 15" Alloys and go for better tyres from Michelin or Yokohama. THe OE Goodyears are strictly average and car really deserves something better. I drove around on the Goodyears for just a day. But after the swap to Michelin, the tyre noise dropped drastically and the car felt really good. So no regrets as far as I am concerned.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 31st August 2012 at 13:06.
Old 31st August 2012, 13:10   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I suggest you retain the 15" Alloys and go for better tyres from Michelin or Yokohama. THe OE Goodyears are strictly average and car really deserves something better. I drove around on the Goodyears for just a day. But after the swap to Michelin, the tyre noise dropped drastically and the car felt really good. So no regrets as far as I am concerned.
I agree, thats what I am also thinking. I also had a chat with a fellow Bhpian "bloodred", he has also done the same. I have experienced the improvement with michelins after I got XM2s fitted on my esteem recently (it had JKs as stock tyres) so thats a mod planned for sure but before that I need to finalize my decision and get the car home .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks