Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2011, 14:32   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Laura vRS : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I think the vRS comes out more as a 'Sports version' rather than a 'Top variant' for the Laura, since it is available in Elegance and L& K trim (Diesel). The non enthusiast buyer looking for a top end variant will be happier with L&K and Elegance rather than the vRS.
Well i meant top version of the petrol Laura.

Now of course, there's only a small group of people who would only buy a petrol Laura and not consider the diesel. The vRS appeals to an even smaller sub-set of that group : the "top end" buyers.

For the rest, as we've seen, either the TSI Ambiente (Ambition) is enough, or the Diesel DSGs are more attractive.

cya
R
Old 11th November 2011, 18:03   #32
BHPian

Re: Other Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
• An additional module for Bluetooth phone connectivity and GPS can be purchased from Skoda as an add-on accessory.
Great review R!!
For those petrol heads who drive regularly on empty roads this is probably the best car in the market (sub 20 lakhs)!!
For the daily drives in city traffic and the occasional drive on the highways, the laura diesel automatic is the way to go!
I have grown to become a huge fan of Skoda! I have a 3 month old laura dsg elegance and the car is a wonderful allrounder!
I have retrofitted a few things like a multifunction steering with paddles, bolero system and a 9w7 bluetooth kit.
(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...legance-5.html)
Could you please tell me more about the bluetooth and the gps options skoda is offering as an accessory? Are they just offering a gps device or are they talking about installing gps to the touch screen bolero system?

Last edited by vinj14 : 11th November 2011 at 18:05.
Old 11th November 2011, 21:49   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here's a comparo between the interiors of the vRS and the Ambition (aka Ambiente) TSI :
Fantastic review, Rehaan. And this side by side snaps of the interior of the vRS and Ambient are just amazing - well taken. The vRS seats seem to be very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
5. Feels very light and not tank like (compared to the PDI Laura which was built was indeed tank-like) and Cruze feels much more solid built wise and is better at handling than the Laura. Perhaps, due to the 150 kgs weight difference
6. It reaches 170kmph quite easily and at 5th gear it wont move forward after that. To reach the magic figure, you need to downshift and touch it. Whereas, Cruze at 170kmph in 5th, a gentle tap will ensure you reach the figure effortlessly. I know its not a fair comparison ( petrol vs, diesel, torque vs horsepower)
Yes, the Laura TSi is built lightly - compared to the classic Octavia. I miss the Octy whenever I close the doors of my TSi.

Regarding not able to move beyond 170kmph in 5'th - are you sure you drove the TSi? No offence meant, but this is extremely amuzing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

Don't know what you are talking about. I cross 180 kph regularly in my TSi , that too in 6th!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Sent you a PM with my thoughts as its related to high speed, wouldnt want to discuss on open forum. Thanks
Seriusly, if I drive in 5'th, no car (barring the Audi's BMW's and the likes) can keep up with me and I feel lonely at @200kmph. I shift to 6'th so as to keep other cars interested in catching up. Send that PM to me as well.
Old 11th November 2011, 23:19   #34
BHPian

@ Rehaan - Loved the car and the specs as well. All that power must be addictive. I would love to get that car esp Diesel. I am more concerned about the pickup , torque rather than the top speed. ( our roads do not like high speeds). Your baby must be a sure fire burner! Congrats!
Old 12th November 2011, 00:18   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review Rehaan!
The only thing is whether its really worth almost 3 lacs more than the base Tsi. I have the 2010 Tsi (with fogs/rain sensing wipers etc) and if I had an option of buying the VRS back then I would not have bought it.
Its a different matter that I have modded it with full grain black napa leather and 16 inch VRS alloys
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Laura vRS : Test Drive & Review-_mg_9029rs.jpg  

Skoda Laura vRS : Test Drive & Review-_mg_9030rs.jpg  

Skoda Laura vRS : Test Drive & Review-img_0477.jpg  

robimahanta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2011, 07:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

Re: Other Points

That's a great review Rehaan! With each upcoming review, Team BHP just proves why it is the best in the country. Personally, the Octavia / Laura VRS is one of my favorite cars.
Quote:
No option of the much loved dual-clutch gearbox (DSG) on any petrol Laura
Why do manufacturers always do this? Barring a very few cases, manufacturers have always made it a habit to skip the most loved feature of a particular car/brand from the hands of us Indians.
Quote:
Missed opportunity for a diesel vRS, especially with current fuel prices
I swear with the above statement. The VRS, in diesel trim, would have become much more popular and would have sold a lot more than this. So much for the product planning and sales planning departments in Skoda! In these days of rising fuel prices and shooting interest rates that's bringing down the sentiments of car-buyers, diesel should have been the default option. Bad that Skoda missed the trick up its sleeve!
Quote:
Lack of equipment; no USB input, steering mounted audio controls & climate control etc.
This is quite unpardonable. How on earth can these features be missed out on the top-end variant of a premium midsize car when a 5 Lac rupee i10 can have those?
Quote:
the “Sprint Yellow” and “Race Blue” sure will grab people’s attention. (The bright red and the very popular silver, which were both available on the Octy vRS will be missed).
Though the Sprint Yellow on this Laura doesn't look too bad, I still prefer the bright yellow of the Octavia VRS. Oh yes, I loved that bright red shade too. Amongst the colors on offer in the Laura VRS, I think the Race Blue wins hands down.
Quote:
The new and the old. Can't help but think that those 16" Spider alloys on the Octavia vRS look much sweeter
. The Octavia VRS is still a mighty looker with those awesome wheels, skirts et all that gave the car an overall purposeful stance.

Before I got myself a pre-owned Civic, I had the Octavia VRS as an option as it is one of my favorite cars (that I could afford pre-owned) till date. When I test drove a couple of Octavia VRS models (one was extremely well-maintained in that bright yellow shade and I was floored the moment I saw it), I found the ride to be extremely uncomfortable and harsh. I figured out that my parents are going to shoot me down if I take them in the back seats of the Octy VRS in the far-from-perfect Chennai roads. How is the ride in the Laura VRS? Is it any better or is it even worse than the Octy?
Old 12th November 2011, 09:21   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
Before I got myself a pre-owned Civic, I had the Octavia VRS as an option as it is one of my favorite cars (that I could afford pre-owned) till date. When I test drove a couple of Octavia VRS models (one was extremely well-maintained in that bright yellow shade and I was floored the moment I saw it), I found the ride to be extremely uncomfortable and harsh. I figured out that my parents are going to shoot me down if I take them in the back seats of the Octy VRS in the far-from-perfect Chennai roads. How is the ride in the Laura VRS? Is it any better or is it even worse than the Octy?
I think the Octavia RS ride could be improved with tyres of higher aspect ratio ? Most car mags seem to say that the Laura vrs seems softer than the Octy vrs......i plan a test drive to check.

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th November 2011 at 13:59. Reason: Putting quoted post in quote tags & removing duplicate
rxpaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2011, 14:16   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Regarding not able to move beyond 170kmph in 5'th - are you sure you drove the TSi? No offence meant, but this is extremely amuzing!!!

It was on the way back from the F1 track with 5 passengers which is from the circuit to the G.Noida.

Very easily achievable in the 5th gear !!!

Nice review though !!

Last edited by mobike008 : 12th November 2011 at 15:37. Reason: No pictures of high speed driving please.....
Old 12th November 2011, 15:48   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Let me clarify here itself. I never mentioned it cannot go beyond 170kmph. What I meant was the roll-on speed from 170kmph onward in 5th gear isnt "urgent" enough. When I test drove the TSI, we were 4 of us in car. Me, my friend and 2 SA's from Skoda who brought the car. And, it was done on a 35kms stretch of the best roads within a city in our country which is the ORR in hyderabad. Kms and Kms of pure bliss

Had I downshifted to 4th, there would have been the required thrust and would have reached the figure much easier and faster.

Besides, it felt rather light and its soft suspension didnt give me the same confidence which i get in my Cruze which feels almost "static" and no rolling, twitching due to windforce at those speeds

The only thing that i was impressed with Laura TSI was its superb steering and its feel. Its miles ahead of Cruze and everything else ( performance, ride, handling wise), i liked the Cruze better

Last edited by mobike008 : 12th November 2011 at 16:30.
Old 12th November 2011, 16:58   #40
Senior - BHPian

Just for a Indication I am running the my TSi on 235/45/R17 Yoko A-R1 Drive tyres. The one which came were 195/65/R15 Goodyear NCT5. The stock I could not stop the vehicle it was like having a spongy brakes. But when I upgraded the tyres there was a Hell lot of the difference.

I would never rise of taking the car to the speed of 200+ on stock tyres.
Old 12th November 2011, 19:14   #41
Senior - BHPian

Great review but I've noticed one more important thing missing in the VRS offered here in India. The brake pads are not painted red. Whereas the international ones have it. It would have added to the WOW factor as well as enhance the sporty looks.
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2011, 23:14   #42
BHPian

Rehaan & other Tsi owners. Does the Tsi engine have the prominent turbo whistle like the old Tpi/vRs engine with the windows down? That was another strong point of the old engine which could pronounce it had a turbocharger just after 1700 rpm
Old 12th November 2011, 23:38   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

The cosmetic upgrade is disappointing. They could have easily provided them as an optional package(both petrol and diesel). Also the new sports shade could have been an option. In this way both the petrol and diesel buyers would have benefited.

What the vRS required was a proper mechanical upgrade,in form of engine+suspension+brakes+tyre upgrade. Only then we could say that a proper vRS is launched. Skoda has already done it with the Octavia vRS and it has a fan following till date. Are we asking a lot?
Old 13th November 2011, 00:19   #44
BHPian

Yes! This is the review I've been waiting for since a long time. And wonderfully done, Rehaan. 5 stars.
I love Skodas with the vRS badge. Even if its just a standard TSI with some added kit, I love the Laura vRS.
At some level, I am afraid that this is one of the endangered breeds of our time. The relentless petrol price spikes, combined with the subsidized diesel prices are driving these beautiful, powerful petrols out of the market.
I don't have anywhere near the money to buy this or the base TSI, but I dream that I can get one after a few years. Except that it may not be on sale when I can finally afford it.
I sincerely hope that the next Octavia (You know... the one which will be based on the Mission L) will also offer a wonderful, silky, high revving, turbo-petrol option in addition to the ubiquitous super-frugal diesel.
Old 13th November 2011, 10:57   #45
Senior - BHPian

A part of me sez Skoda has missed the bus. By introducing a 200bhp, driver oriented vRS they would have cornered the small enthusiast segment for themselves.

Just handling prowess alone with a few go fast bits doesn't quite cut it. Buying a standard Laura and investing in a aftermarket suspension package like those offered by Red Rooster and a Pete's chip should get you close - what say??

vRS good but not quite good.

But perhaps Skoda had an eye on petrol prices as well?

Drive on,
Shibu.

Most Viewed