Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2011, 11:40   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura vRS : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

5. Feels very light and not tank like (compared to the PDI Laura which was built was indeed tank-like) and Cruze feels much more solid built wise and is better at handling than the Laura. Perhaps, due to the 150 kgs weight difference

6. It reaches 170kmph quite easily and at 5th gear it wont move forward after that. To reach the magic figure, you need to downshift and touch it. Whereas, Cruze at 170kmph in 5th, a gentle tap will ensure you reach the figure effortlessly. I know its not a fair comparison ( petrol vs, diesel, torque vs horsepower)
Quote:
What I meant was the roll-on speed from 170kmph onward in 5th gear isnt "urgent" enough. When I test drove the TSI, we were 4 of us in car. Me, my friend and 2 SA's from Skoda who brought the car. And, it was done on a 35kms stretch of the best roads within a city in our country which is the ORR in hyderabad. Kms and Kms of pure bliss

Had I downshifted to 4th, there would have been the required thrust and would have reached the figure much easier and faster.
Quote:
Besides, it felt rather light and its soft suspension didnt give me the same confidence which i get in my Cruze which feels almost "static" and no rolling, twitching due to windforce at those speeds

The only thing that i was impressed with Laura TSI was its superb steering and its feel. Its miles ahead of Cruze and everything else ( performance, ride, handling wise), i liked the Cruze better

I regularly get to drive Older PD Laura, Cruze and i own facelifted Laura CR DSG. Laura's doors may not close like they weigh a ton, but this is not the benchmark to test the build of a car. I have been driving my car on no roads for more than a year and the way it has taken these bad roads explains the build. I do not have single squeak or rattle in the car, not even a slight squeak. Compared to Cruze, It is not only better built but also has premium feel to it.

It is not fair to compare the roll on time of a Diesel to a Petrol who has a altogether different power delivery and gear ratios. Except for the in gear roll on, that too when Cruze is at peak, after 2200-2300rpm, the TSi is better performer in every other count, be it Acceleration, be it wider spread of torque. AFAIK 1.8 TSI has a electronically limited Top speed of 223kph, meaning 250kph in the speedo. To compare Apples to Apples, the TDI i drive starts rushing from 1400rpm and it is in powerband all the way till redline, still delivering a realistic 1000km Tank range on highways with an Automatic Transmission. CR TDI 140 too can hit 210kph.

Directly comparing the dynamics, Laura has it covered on all aspects, Cruze has a slightly more flatter ride but at expense of ability to cushion. You are the first person i have come across who claims Cruze to be dynamically superior than Laura. Laura has a very good high speed composure, it does not get unsettled due to wind at speed. Don't believe me, go through all the professional Reviews, ownership reports and International reviews.
.anshuman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th November 2011, 13:39   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Directly comparing the dynamics, Laura has it covered on all aspects, Cruze has a slightly more flatter ride but at expense of ability to cushion. You are the first person i have come across who claims Cruze to be dynamically superior than Laura. Laura has a very good high speed composure, it does not get unsettled due to wind at speed. Don't believe me, go through all the professional Reviews, ownership reports and International reviews.
Absolutely! Couldnt agree more. The only thing the cruze has going for it is its tempting price tag!

3 months back me and my friend were in the market for a diesel automatic. I bought the laura dsg and he bought the cruze. He was mesmerized by its aggressive pricing and its long list of features. He went on about how his car has sun-roof, usb port, black leather seats etc etc..
Today i consider my money well spent . My friend not so much! He reluctantly agreed the other day that he should have spent a little extra and bought the laura or waited a month and bought the new jetta!...

Last edited by vinj14 : 13th November 2011 at 13:41.
Old 14th November 2011, 12:20   #48
BHPian

Wonderful review and great pics. Loved the comparo with the Ambient!
Old 14th November 2011, 12:38   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I regularly get to drive Older PD Laura, Cruze and i own facelifted Laura CR DSG. Laura's doors may not close like they weigh a ton, but this is not the benchmark to test the build of a car. I have been driving my car on no roads for more than a year and the way it has taken these bad roads explains the build. I do not have single squeak or rattle in the car, not even a slight squeak. Compared to Cruze, It is not only better built but also has premium feel to it.
I fully agree about the built quality of the PD Laura and there is no two ways about it, its a tank. But, my opinion of the Laura Petrol remains the same and also attested by my friend who was actually thinking of buying that it and commented it felt rather light ( never driven the TDI Laura, so cannot compare) and he is a car enthusiast and used to drive a beemer in the US

My Cruze has done 21000kms in 15 months and has also taken all kinds of roads including the worst in UP, MP etc and not a single squeak till date.

With regards to interior quality, Laura definetly has a premium feel to its interior and is known to all

Quote:
It is not fair to compare the roll on time of a Diesel to a Petrol who has a altogether different power delivery and gear ratios. Except for the in gear roll on, that too when Cruze is at peak, after 2200-2300rpm, the TSi is better performer in every other count, be it Acceleration, be it wider spread of torque. AFAIK 1.8 TSI has a electronically limited Top speed of 223kph, meaning 250kph in the speedo. To compare Apples to Apples, the TDI i drive starts rushing from 1400rpm and it is in powerband all the way till redline, still delivering a realistic 1000km Tank range on highways with an Automatic Transmission. CR TDI 140 too can hit 210kph.
Totally agree. I clearly mentioned in my first/original post that i am not comparing apples to apples but, since my friend drove both cars back to back, so just highlighted the comparison

Quote:
I think your forgetting that I am comparing the Laura TSi to the diesel Cruze. And, I still stick to my opinion, Cruze is better in its dynamics compared to Laura TSi
Old 14th November 2011, 17:00   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think your forgetting that I am comparing the Laura TSi to the diesel Cruze. And, I still stick to my opinion, Cruze is better in its dynamics compared to Laura TSi
Both the petrol and diesel Lauras are dynamically identical. There is not much difference in their kerb weights either.
Old 14th November 2011, 22:04   #51
BHPian

Wonderfully written, Rehaan. I must say, I was disappointed too with the fact that it's hardly any different from the 1.8TSI that was already available in the market. Except some cosmetic changes. A vRS badge should definitely attract special respect on the road for all that that wonderful engine has achieved in the sporting arena. But, that's now missing.

Btw, you did not bring attention to the wonders that this flat-band performer can do on the road without scaring the other passengers in the car, of course if a clean downshift is executed the double-clutching way!

Kudos again.
Old 15th November 2011, 13:03   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Smaller Yet Significant Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Windscreen spray nozzles can be easily adjusted up and down - no need to adjust the nozzle direction with a toothpick

Wow...my driver side spray was a little off and I was living with it because I did not want to try a toothpick or a pin or take to the service guys.
On seeing this, i went home adjusted the nozzle housing to point it just a little upwards. Thank you!

Note: I had to open the bonnet to adjust this and simply rested the bonnet lid (without closing it fully) to go and try the spray - it did not spray, wipers did not work! After a lot of scratching of head, I closed the bonnet fully and it worked. There goes one more sensor .
Old 15th November 2011, 14:39   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
Could you please tell me more about the bluetooth and the gps options skoda is offering as an accessory? Are they just offering a gps device or are they talking about installing gps to the touch screen bolero system?
Have asked someone at Skoda. Will get back to you on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
I am more concerned about the pickup , torque rather than the top speed. ( our roads do not like high speeds). Your baby must be a sure fire burner!
I don't care about top speed (or even high-speed) either. Nonetheless, it was a pleasure to drive around.

And, its not my car!! This is an official Team-BHP review

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
The only thing is whether its really worth almost 3 lacs more than the base Tsi.
Thats exactly the question that will determine the fate of this car.
(Also, the price gap depends on the on-road price + specific discounts)

If you don't mind sharing : how much did the 16" wheels cost you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
...How is the ride in the Laura VRS? Is it any better or is it even worse than the Octy?
I haven't spent too much time in the back seat of an Octy vRS -- but i think the Laura was noticeably better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Just for a Indication I am running the my TSi on 235/45/R17 Yoko A-R1 Drive tyres. The one which came were 195/65/R15 Goodyear NCT5. The stock I could not stop the vehicle it was like having a spongy brakes. But when I upgraded the tyres there was a Hell lot of the difference.
Strange that you say the tyre change has altered your brake feel...

Our test car stopped really solidly on the NCT5s too, and the brake feel was good. Though i'm sure better rubber would help.

Knowing LBM -- when can i expect to see some upgraded suspension on your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
Does the Tsi engine have the prominent turbo whistle like the old Tpi/vRs engine with the windows down?
Nowhere near as audible. From inside the car with the windows down, if you really listen for it you might be able to hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Just handling prowess alone with a few go fast bits doesn't quite cut it. Buying a standard Laura and investing in a aftermarket suspension package like those offered by Red Rooster and a Pete's chip should get you close - what say??
Taking that route, you could even get more, for less.

However, the only downsides to that are :
1) No "OEM" like reliability, or guarantee on the quality of work/product
2) Probably void your warranty on the car
3) Unless you manage to find another car with exactly the same set-up, you don't know exactly what you are going to get, and whether you'll like or dislike it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Btw, you did not bring attention to the wonders that this flat-band performer can do on the road without scaring the other passengers in the car, of course if a clean downshift is executed the double-clutching way!
Not exactly sure what you mean here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Note: I had to open the bonnet to adjust this and simply rested the bonnet lid (without closing it fully) to go and try the spray - it did not spray, wipers did not work! After a lot of scratching of head, I closed the bonnet fully and it worked. There goes one more sensor.
Amazing thoughtfulness! The wipers probably don't work while the hood is open since there might be some interference/collision there.

Glad that point helped you - its the same on quite a few cars nowadays, so i was in 2 minds about including it - but now i'm glad i did.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th November 2011 at 15:40.
Old 15th November 2011, 20:12   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I haven't spent too much time in the back seat of an Octy vRS -- but i think the Laura was noticeably better.
Thanks for your inputs Rehaan! I couldn't tolerate the rear seat ride of the Octavia VRS when I was looking at buying it.

By the way, the angle in which the car is shot in the above post makes the Laura VRS look like a photocopy of the Octavia VRS - yet another case of looking different yet so similar.
Old 16th November 2011, 10:57   #55
BHPian

Great Review .

Personally the alloys don't look as sporty as the Octy vRS. I am a big big fan of Octy vrs , i somehow find the Laura vRS looks a bit tame & timid .

Have to see & drive one personally to truely judge it against Octy vRS.
Old 16th November 2011, 12:29   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing on the scope till now but will defiantly try something if got convinced that it will improve the handling. As the car still has some amount of body roll at high speeds even with new tryes !!!
Old 17th November 2011, 14:42   #57
Team-BHP Support

Re: Other Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
Could you please tell me more about the bluetooth and the gps options skoda is offering as an accessory? Are they just offering a gps device or are they talking about installing gps to the touch screen bolero system?
Hi vinj14,

I followed this up with someone at Skoda and here is the deal :
  • These are NOT off-the-shelf items at Skoda dealers here
  • You will need to order them from the Intl' Octavia (Laura) catalog (attached)
  • Indian dealers (in theory) should be able to get you the parts, though don't bank on it!
  • The GPS requires a Columbus head-unit (sorry i initially thought it was an add-on)

Cheers,
R
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 50_NewOctavia_Accessories_ENG.pdf (1.96 MB, 2019 views)
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 17:47   #58
BHPian

Re: Other Points

Quote:
Hi vinj14,

I followed this up with someone at Skoda and here is the deal :
  • These are NOT off-the-shelf items at Skoda dealers here
  • You will need to order them from the Intl' Octavia (Laura) catalog (attached)
  • Indian dealers (in theory) should be able to get you the parts, though don't bank on it!
  • The GPS requires a Columbus head-unit (sorry i initially thought it was an add-on)

Cheers,
R
Thought as much. Thanks though.

I was just curious cause i checked with the dealer about any bluetooth options before i went ahead and bought my 9w7 kit from ebay.
Many accessories that arent usually offered to us can actually be ordered via the skoda service centers . All one has to do is find the part number of the accessory from these accessory brouchures (UK , AUS, etc.. ) and get your skoda dealers to order them for you. If one is willing to spend they can get a whole host of stuff like the MDI kit ( which offers USB & ipod connection), front bumper spoiler, cruise control, etc..

Most of these accessories could be bought for less in ebay but then you need convince the skoda guys to do the fitting, as they can easily refuse to fit parts that haven't been ordered through them.

Heres the link to the website that lists all the possible accessories that you could get..
Å*koda Accessories

Last edited by vinj14 : 17th November 2011 at 17:50.
vinj14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2011, 01:31   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
[1] Who would purchase it in the yellow colour?
[3] Skoda's after sales service and stories
[4] Pricing is astronomical, I wish they had priced it upto 13L.
If the original vRS is any indication Skoda will offer colours like red, black and silver sometime.

From my experience Skoda has been improving it's A.S.S. A few days ago two coil packs in my car failed (the first 2 had failed about 3-6 months ago and a fellow TBHPian and gifted me a pair) and I sent the car to Autobahn. They got the car at 10am, fixed it by 3pm. The bill: Rs. 4750. I did not call them, just sent my driver to the service station. I got a call from them with the diagnosis (which I knew anyway) and the permission to fix it with an estimate of Rs. 5500. No mention of Team-BHP save a Drive safe sticker. It surprised me too.

The original vRS in 2004 cost Rs. 15L. Add inflation.

Quote:
Ever seen an old lady driving an Octavia vRS? I bet you have.
Ever seen a chauffeur driven Octavia vRS? I bet you have too

PS - The black Octavia vRS shown in the comparo shots was driven by a driver. He told me [translated] "Its a good car. The power is scary, but the suspension is too painfully hard. This is the doggies car now". Then a golden Labrador appeared, jumped in the back seat, and they drove off.

The low end torque (say below 1,800 RPM) is decent for in-city driving. There isn't mega turbo lag, but the engine hasn't quite come into the zone yet.

Personally, i'd be a little scared to buy a used vRS.
Not always is the TOP car the reason. For example there a reason we got the vRS (BTW was it my mom you saw): Yes we are chauffered most of the time but on the occasion we have to drive a car we (my mom, wife and I) prefer to have cars we enjoy. The vRS is a real fun car traffic willing otherwise the i10/NHC/ANHC or any automatic is about as much fun you can have on Mumbai's roads.

Yes the suspension is a little hard. My chauffer still cant get a hang of the power. Sometimes I feel it is the car that's driving him instead of the other way around (and he's had the car since it was bought in 2004).

Rehaan, I have 2 open offers on my car. But...I am not selling.

Quote:
Suspension? Why I'd like to see the ICE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma_devil View Post
i somehow find the Laura vRS looks a bit tame & timid .
Even today when I see the vRS parked next to Corollas, Accords, Civics etc.. I love it's stance. It just looks so purposeful.

Last edited by navin : 20th November 2011 at 01:44.
navin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 14:16   #60
BHPian

Although it's a decent take on maximising the existing inventory by Skoda India, I can't help thinking that it's like one of those "Pimp My Ride" kind of jobs (the alcantara, steering wheel, etc.,).

However, the Laura vRS reminds me so much of the Fiesta S where Ford did not bother changing the power output. Mixed opinions for sure, but both good cars in their own ways.
tejus.s is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed