Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2013, 07:17   #61
BHPian

Funny I always thought the 135 to be a competitor to the genesis. Apples to apples you paying extra for the gadgets and BMW name. It is alot they give you for that but the handling and power is a bit more superior in the genesis I would like to think. A 328,335 is a step up perhaps. And wow I forgot about a z4! Love those things! A used one with warranty would be pretty sweet.

Depends what your situation is. Do you need a trunk. Do you get alot of snow. What's your commute like.

Last edited by Raj1008 : 16th September 2013 at 07:21.
Old 17th September 2013, 00:12   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: Trials and Tribulations of a first time buyer - Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Raj: Am still on 23k miles as of now and so the last service was slight expensive at 200 bucks. This in comparison to the frequent oil changes which happens at now cost.

I happened to get two chips off my alloys which i intend on correcting sometime soon. Overall the car is a cake to drive and live with. Makes you turn around all the while.

Thankfully bought a Grey as we get a dust storm once a week!

Shubam: GC is a nice car to live with and hyundai service has improved quite a bit(as people from the prev gen say) and i have had no issues as of now. The Subaru does look good but trust me your friends will hate you for it if they need u to be the Designated Driver.

The v6 is a overkill according to me and with all the cops getting attracted to me i would stay away from anything faster. BMW i would say depends. Its a personal choice and i dont like the beemer as my favorite BMW is the M3 or the X5.

Nissan 370 z maybe as it does look gorgeous in Duke Blue but your pushing the price.

Financially:
What i would probably do is look around for Certified Pre owned in the brands you love. You can find a good deal for a car at the same price as the GC. I am saying this as a new car does depreciate like crazy. My friend got a Merc C for 25k and adding all warranties it was a 35k OTD.

Do not rush and do not get entangled in the dealers tactics. Drive as many as you like and be ready to walk out if you dont like it.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 00:55   #63
BHPian

Thanks Guys. BMW/Merc base level prices look attractive but as soon as you add an option the price easily jacks up by 5k. I just got a rental Jetta today and even in that car i am reach 45 before i know it. If i get a V6 or a more powerful car than GC 2.0T then i will have more chances of getting pulled over.

I would want to keep my budget not to exceed 32k all inclusive. This rules out all the Mercs/Audis/BMWs. Bay area apartment rents have cut my car plans. Plus with no credit history the APR is also in upper 4%s Will go for a TD in couple of weeks. Have already started inviting quotes from Hanlees and Stevens Creek Hyundai dealerships.
shubhamAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 02:42   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhamAT View Post
Thanks Guys. BMW/Merc base level prices look attractive but as soon as you add an option the price easily jacks up by 5k. I just got a rental Jetta today and even in that car i am reach 45 before i know it. If i get a V6 or a more powerful car than GC 2.0T then i will have more chances of getting pulled over.

Don't forget to compare insurance , gas and maintenance as well! I look through edmunds.com for TOC.

Best of luck!
Raj1008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 05:57   #65
Senior - BHPian

^ agree to Raj. Gas and Insurance is something people never consider in their buy and at times thats the most pricey part of your purchase. I pay 120 for my insurance(increased with my last camera ticket!). I dont drive to work but my evenings are outside usually so about 10k running in a year on an average and i get about 22mpg.

Best of luck looking, the new GC looks great. Also check out for used GCs too.

Maddy
Old 17th September 2013, 09:53   #66
BHPian

Thanks Maddy. Is $120 insurance per month ? Since i just moved here the quote would be even higher for me. BTW, I dont like grille of old GC (not that i am fan of new one either).
Old 17th September 2013, 22:44   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Maddy. Is $120 insurance per month ? Since i just moved here the quote would be even higher for me. BTW, I dont like grille of old GC (not that i am fan of new one either).
Yes 120 pm. This after i switched providers. There are some carbon fiber options for the grills online. Didnt like many of them too.
Old 22nd September 2013, 09:22   #68
BHPian

Test drove a 2013 3.8 GT today.

Interiors:
Even though the car is lower than Jetta, my current ride, i found egress/ingress much easier. Car is quite roomy as far as the front two seats are concerned but the rear bench is another story. For those who manage to get into the rear seat, you will have to keep you head tilted forward always. My head was touching the rear window and the roof, and i am just about average height. The upholstery is good but dose not feel premium. But the best past of the entire cabin are front seats. I found them very comfortable. I did not try any of the electronics so cant say about music system or navigation. Even though it was a 3.8 engine i did not feel any engine noise in the cabin till the 70mph max speed i touched. May be this model does not have the tube that feeds engine sound to the cabin.

Ride:
Amazing. The car drives rather sedately in the normal mode and seemed
to be in control. It did not appear to have a tendency to "jump" ahead when giving throttle. A little aggressive input to throttle and it will give you that "push" even when at 40mph. Manual mode was really fun to drive. The gear changes are quick. I drove in gears 1 through 6 and found that car has sufficient torque even in the higher gears. There is a Sport mode too which i did not try. I found the steering bit hard to work
with but i assume that is how it is supposed to be. For the first time in my life i really understood what "planted" means. Compared to my Rental car at least.

Overall i am quite impressed with the car, if i get time will love to test a 2.0T premium too. Attaching couple of pics i managed to click:
Attached Thumbnails
Trials and Tribulations of a first time buyer - Hyundai Genesis Coupe-img_0308.jpg  

Trials and Tribulations of a first time buyer - Hyundai Genesis Coupe-img_0309.jpg  

Old 22nd September 2013, 19:45   #69
BHPian

Oh boy you started with the 3.8! Best of luck liking the 2.0 now lol.
Old 23rd September 2013, 00:10   #70
BHPian

Well they only had 2.0 R Spec which i did not want to try. Infact even the 3.8s they had were R-Spec. You are right, i have kinda made up my mind to go with this one. The only thing i am waiting for is to apply/get SSN. Will also get a CA DL soon which may happen after i purchase the car.
Old 23rd September 2013, 05:16   #71
BHPian

How much have they quoted you?
Old 23rd September 2013, 09:38   #72
BHPian

29900 for GT. Haven't discussed the price in detail yet.
Old 24th September 2013, 04:28   #73
Senior - BHPian

Best of luck settling for the 2.0. I was driving the Buick yesterday and god was it having a laggy engine.

I would say stick with a AT. 3.8 or 2.0 is a personal choice.
Old 25th September 2013, 03:11   #74
BHPian

Had the biggest disappointment in my auto life. Test drove a Mustang V6. Except for being roomier and meaner, the V6 is no match for GC. The car was hesitant to gain speed even after large accelerator input. And the steering; i10 has a better one. I would rather buy a Jetta than a Mustang v6. GT may be a different story.
Old 25th September 2013, 03:13   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Had the biggest disappointment in my auto life. Test drove a Mustang V6. Except for being roomier and meaner, the V6 is no match for GC. The car was hesitant to gain speed even after large accelerator input. And the steering; i10 has a better one. I would rather buy a Jetta than a Mustang v6. GT may be a different story.
You my friend have been smitten by the Genny

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks