Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2013, 05:07   #76
BHPian

Re: Trials and Tribulations of a first time buyer - Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Not smitten but impressed. I am smitten by Tesla S. . Mustang was my first choice before i even came to know of GC. It was always Camaro v/s Mustang for me until GC. Even though a sedan, I like Q50 better which i haven't driven yet but the quote i got is 40k + taxes and registration. If i were to buy a sporty sedan which one should be it ? My #1 choice is still GC though.
Old 25th September 2013, 23:17   #77
Senior - BHPian

Man. You got the same experience as me when i went shopping with my friend for his mustang. The interior was nice, the central console sucks and worse of all is i got to sit in the rear seat. I have size 12 shoes and my legs were stuck under the front seat the entire journey! GC is better when it comes to rear seats. I always state this car is for a guy and his girl or for a guy to take 3 girls around.

Oh by the way did you check Infiniti? I feel the design language between the GC and the Infiniti is on similar lines.
Old 26th September 2013, 04:00   #78
BHPian

No i did not check Infiniti yet. Might go there next week. Will be TDing a CLA250 if MB of Fremont have one. Also planning to try out some pre owned Germans and the 2014 Mazda3.

On a different note: What do you think of re-sale value of GC ?
Old 26th September 2013, 08:26   #79
BHPian

There isn't much data because it's newer but so far I see it hasn't depreciated as much as I thought it would have.

Let me drop you a small warning here. Even though the genesis has a way better interior than the American cars and Subaru brz, the interior does tend to creak. I have heard this from a few people and so does mine. I am use to it now but at the first it would bother me. I am not sure what has been Maddys experience.
Raj1008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 00:23   #80
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Raj for reminding me.

I do have creaks and one annoying this which i have is a clicking noise as soon as i park the car. I asked the service adviser who mentioned it to be a usual case of the silencer or something making it.

The other creak i get is minor from the sun roof. It is a on and off and not very audible.

Resale: Was offered 20k for the car this Jan without knowing how many miles was on it. Mine is a 2012 model purchased in Oct 2011.
Is it good or bad? Let me know.

Maddy
Old 27th September 2013, 03:37   #81
BHPian

Thanks Raj and Maddy. I think 20K was a pretty good resale value for that point of time but with the changed spec of 2013 models the depreciation would be steeper now. Although there are 3 Gennys in my office alone and i do so it once in a while, there seems to be a problem with the stock (at least here in Fremont) with the 2.0T Premium and 3.8 GT models. And the dealership wasn't very enthusiastic on taking a custom order. When you guys purchased ur Gennys did u pick one off the stock or waited for it ? BTW, just got an email from Fremont MB about arrival of CLA250 for TD. Might go there today.
Old 27th September 2013, 05:06   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhamAT View Post
When you guys purchased ur Gennys did u pick one off the stock or waited for it ? BTW, just got an email from Fremont MB about arrival of CLA250 for TD. Might go there today.
Picked mine off the lot. Three colors were there. Silver, grey and Black. Chose the Grey as i live in the desert

CLA! Please take pics and let me know how it goes. Just a note. Sit in the rear for me and i want to know if there is a Bump in the middle of the rear seat here too. Also driving impression.
Old 27th September 2013, 05:23   #83
BHPian

I bought mine in July so it was slim pickings. Lucky both dealers I was talking to had only black on black left. Exactly the combo I wanted.
Old 27th September 2013, 12:49   #84
BHPian

Did a TD of CLA250. Short answer: Not what i am looking for. Here is how it fared according to me on my 4 mile TD.

Interior: Felt good and premier-ish. Lot of chrome in my tester. The Screen in the middle looks like an after thought but is more conveniently placed than Genny. Sadly base model does not get touch screen. There is a jog dial to input, pretty much like label printers of yester-years. The worst aspect of this cabin is the stupid Gear selector. It can be easily confused for Wiper control. This alone is a decider (for me) in not going ahead with this car. The parking brake located lower/left of the steering column is also electronic. You engage it by pressing a button. Seats are comfy but over all cabin felt bit cramped. My friend who was at the back was not very impressed by rear seat (again compared to Jetta).

Steering: On the lighter side, not at all confidence inspiring. My bench mark is Jetta. Genny felt bit heavier than Jetta, while Mustang's was even lighter (and larger) than CLA250.

Drive: I just drove straight up and down a road and in normal mode the pickup was better than Phustang V6 and in sport mode it was a treat (a little better than Genny's normal mode).

Some how i did not find the paddle shifter as fast as Gennys (i was in the normal mode). I may be wrong here since this car has DCT so its expected to shift faster.

Price: Base mode 34ish on road, with Multimedia/Premium package 39+. This dealer has a corporate discount of 1000 for my company too.

Side Note: Jetta is a Better Car than CLA250.
Attached Thumbnails
Trials and Tribulations of a first time buyer - Hyundai Genesis Coupe-img_0320.jpg  

Trials and Tribulations of a first time buyer - Hyundai Genesis Coupe-img_0324.jpg  

shubhamAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 22:32   #85
BHPian

Forgot to add one thing: I did not like the brakes of the tester CLA. Even at 50 i had to apply more than normal pressure to get it effective.
shubhamAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 23:56   #86
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the review. Few things which i didnt like were FWD, Low rear space, Merc maintenance and price tag touching the higher 40s with slight upgrades. This car really looks like one which would pull a customer to the showroom and then he could be ripped.

Let me know how your search goes on. Currently drooling over pics of the LR Defender.
Old 28th September 2013, 00:43   #87
BHPian

LR must be pricey. Yesterday i had to move lot of stuff including chairs and a small table in the car. Ona practicallity p.o.v a coupe may not be the best so I am also considering a Fully Loaded Jetta or Passat too. I am not sure about VW reliability though. Are there any SUVs in this range ?

The buying choice is now: Genny + U-Haul + Rental (when parents come) OR a Medium/FS Sedan or SUV. Have u guys used U-Haul ?
Old 28th September 2013, 04:27   #88
BHPian

Quote:
LR must be pricey. Yesterday i had to move lot of stuff including chairs and a small table in the car. Ona practicallity p.o.v a coupe may not be the best so I am also considering a Fully Loaded Jetta or Passat too. I am not sure about VW reliability though. Are there any SUVs in this range ? The buying choice is now: Genny + U-Haul + Rental (when parents come) OR a Medium/FS Sedan or SUV. Have u guys used U-Haul ?
It's not the best to move stuff around. But I have done it before and doing it this weekend again! Nissan rouge is in this bracket. So is escape. But then it's a whole different topic. Alternatively buy a older corolla like a beater as a parents and errand car.

Everyone has used a u haul. They will make your merc td feel good lol

Last edited by Raj1008 : 28th September 2013 at 04:30.
Raj1008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 10:01   #89
BHPian

Drove 3.8GT, 2.0T, 3.8GT back to back today. The 2.0T car seemed to have a better pickup (0-40 in sports mode) than 3.8 GT (sports mode) and also better brakes. I also found it to be more flick able. All the fun can be had in 2.0T itself, its so good. The 2.0T engine is very quite even when revving it high. It will be either 2.0T Premium or 3.8 GT for me. Still haven't got SSN so could not close the deal today.
Old 30th September 2013, 10:06   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LR must be pricey. Yesterday i had to move lot of stuff including chairs and a small table in the car.
The buying choice is now: Genny + U-Haul + Rental (when parents come) OR a Medium/FS Sedan or SUV. Have u guys used U-Haul ?
Well this car is fun. To move stuff you can always rent a u haul. Its cheap too.

With regards to when parents come! Hmmm good question. Rajs suggestion makes sense.

Heart vs Head

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks