Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2011, 16:22   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Battle of the X-Breeds : SKoda Yeti Vs Mahindra XUV5OO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
^
I may be mistaken but it looks quite similar and seems just a difference in flash intensity or the difference between taking it through a DSLR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar View Post
Ditto with me - I think the difference is because of light available & sensitivity of camera sensors

But, I want to believe on Behemoth's status
Even though the difference appears much less in the pics, it is quite perceptible in real life (our eyes are much better than any camera!).
The good thing is that Mahindra has actually gone through a lot of improvements to change the fit/ finish and aesthetics.
Guess only when you see both the cars side by Side is it easy to compare!

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 22nd December 2011, 09:27   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Latest update on our Silver Cheetah:
So far completed around 1046 Kms and run-in period is over. During this time, was driven with extra care to keep the rpms below 2500.
So far, luckily, we have not faced any of the other issues that other owners have found in their XUVs.
Only problem that we have observed is that the Low beam intensity has come down significantly and the the light output is 60% of what it was initially - so there is definitely a problem with the headlight bulbs which Mahindra are giving in the XUV.
The engine has also bedded in well and is now slightly more responsive that earlier and noise levels continue to be very low. Have noticed a slight resonating noise at 2000 rpms, which was not there earlier - Any other users also noticed this?
All other electricals , ICE are fine so far (ours is W6, so has the less fancy ICE).
Over the next 10 days, the Silver Cheetah will be going to Bhopal with my Bro who is going for a long holiday - should be around 1800 Kms driving in this trip. Will share the updates post his trip.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:00   #48
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Behemoth!
Quick info please!

Ive been driving the Yeti carefully and have crossed 550kms in it. Ive not taken it up more than 2500 RPM and 3K RPM at the max for very short periods between gears.
98% of the time anyway one is stuck in traffic so one cant go fast etc. I ve been religiously following the idle for 30 sec to one min during the start and switch off times.
Also have been following the gear shift recommendations religiously though this is not my normal style of driving at all.
The FE looks very good so far and the engine is quiet, responsive and silent. Occasionally - say about once a week, there is a sort of a lightly rough-ish sort of clattering sound from the engine instead of the normal quiet growl that I am used to. Especially when accelerating slightly in first gear just before shifting to second. Usually happens during the early morning start time only. But Ive noticed this only twice or thrice so far.
For the rest of it, it is an enjoyable vehicle and no worries on anything else.
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:52   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Behemoth!
Quick info please!

Ive been driving the Yeti carefully and have crossed 550kms in it. Ive not taken it up more than 2500 RPM and 3K RPM at the max for very short periods between gears.
98% of the time anyway one is stuck in traffic so one cant go fast etc. I ve been religiously following the idle for 30 sec to one min during the start and switch off times.
Also have been following the gear shift recommendations religiously though this is not my normal style of driving at all.
The FE looks very good so far and the engine is quiet, responsive and silent. Occasionally - say about once a week, there is a sort of a lightly rough-ish sort of clattering sound from the engine instead of the normal quiet growl that I am used to. Especially when accelerating slightly in first gear just before shifting to second. Usually happens during the early morning start time only. But Ive noticed this only twice or thrice so far.
For the rest of it, it is an enjoyable vehicle and no worries on anything else.
This is perfectly normal for the Yeti's engine, infact for all diesel engines. They need around 5-10 minutes for warmup to reach an optimal running state. During the warmup period, there will be a slight clattering sound and often shudder from the engine. This will settle down quickly once the engine warms up. In case there is continued clattering from the engine, it is a sign of adulterated fuel (kerosene in diesel causes this).
Idling at startup / shutdown is generally not required for the Yeti's engine (owner's manual also does not recommend this). Only care required is that during the first 5 minutes of warmup, not to rev the engine beyond 2.5K rpm.
At shutdown, if one has been driving normally, turbo speed will have spooled down and idling is not required (5-10 secs is ok). However, if one was driving spiritedly (3k-5k) rpm and comes to an abrupt stop, then it is recommended to give the turbo some 30-60 seconds to spool down.

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 22nd December 2011 at 10:54.
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:58   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Behemoth!
Quick info please!

Ive been driving the Yeti carefully and have crossed 550kms in it. Ive not taken it up more than 2500 RPM and 3K RPM at the max for very short periods between gears..
So Shankar, finally you have taken the plunge & bought yourself the Yeti after the long agonizing wait for the Duster. Congratulations on the purchase (if I haven't subscribed to this thread I would have never known this). Have you started your Yeti thread, if yes then please share the link.
Old 22nd December 2011, 17:23   #51
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Hey

Thanks a lot.
Actually I ve been lazy and not started a new thread per se. Ive just been plugging along on that earlier "agonizing" choice thread where I was debating between the Yeti and the used Tucson. Of course, my other Yeti owner pals on TBHP have very kindly borne with my jumping on and adding my experiences to their threads too.
So yes - I went and took the plunge on 2nd Dec and am very very pleased I did so. It is absolutely the correct type and size of vehicle given my needs/wants and usage patterns. I am very happy to live with the smaller space it offers, in comparison to the Scorpio, because it more than makes up in every other possible way! Its a great vehicle indeed!

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
So Shankar, finally you have taken the plunge & bought yourself the Yeti after the long agonizing wait for the Duster. Congratulations on the purchase (if I haven't subscribed to this thread I would have never known this). Have you started your Yeti thread, if yes then please share the link.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 23:53   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth
Latest update on our Silver Cheetah:
So far completed around 1046 Kms and run-in period is over. During this time, was driven with extra care to keep the rpms below 2500.
So far, luckily, we have not faced any of the other issues that other owners have found in their XUVs.
Only problem that we have observed is that the Low beam intensity has come down significantly and the the light output is 60% of what it was initially - so there is definitely a problem with the headlight bulbs which Mahindra are giving in the XUV.
The engine has also bedded in well and is now slightly more responsive that earlier and noise levels continue to be very low. Have noticed a slight resonating noise at 2000 rpms, which was not there earlier - Any other users also noticed this?
All other electricals , ICE are fine so far (ours is W6, so has the less fancy ICE).
Over the next 10 days, the Silver Cheetah will be going to Bhopal with my Bro who is going for a long holiday - should be around 1800 Kms driving in this trip. Will share the updates post his trip.

Regards,
Behemoth
I visited Bhopal last week. The road conditions are terrible from Gwalior-Shivpuri-Guna and around 50 km after Guna. I came back Bhopal-Kota-Jaipur-Delhi as the roads were fabulous and safer. i guess it was around 100km longer.
rohitbagai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2011, 00:36   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Nitin,

We have not yet explored the Aftermarket Alloys option - Maybe we will start looking after a 2-3 weeks. Even I am not too sure about the PCD size! It is mentioned on the inside of the alloys, so we can't even see it unless the wheels are taken off! Do let me know in case you are able to find out
Good news, finally Xuv alloys are starting to show up. Below is one of the first alloy that came out, check it out:
Mag Wheels,Automotive Wheels,Aluminum Alloy Wheels,Car Chrome Wheels,Supplier

Also had a word with one the of dealers and he say that there are many alloys coming on 10/1/12 and he will call me the moment its gets there. Will let you know once i hear from them, till then let me know what you think bout the above set.
Old 24th December 2011, 05:30   #54
Senior - BHPian

Hi Behemoth,
No doubt a little late - but do accept my hearty badhai on getting the Silver Cheetah. And may you disprove the old adage from our schooldays that 'Cheetahs' never prosper ! Silver or otherwise.

Wonderful acquisition, no doubt and a nice comparison report too.

After running the Silver Cheetah for almost 2K KMs - any of the reported electrical glitches surfacing ? Mechanical - reportedly the flywheel issue etc ?

Will be all eyes here for updates on your progress with S-Chee.
Old 24th December 2011, 12:56   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
I visited Bhopal last week. The road conditions are terrible from Gwalior-Shivpuri-Guna and around 50 km after Guna. I came back Bhopal-Kota-Jaipur-Delhi as the roads were fabulous and safer. i guess it was around 100km longer.
Thanks Rohit, even I have recommended the same route to my Bro. There was a slight change in plan and now he's headed off to Goa by road! He's taking the Jaipur-Ratlam-Indore-Nasik route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Good news, finally Xuv alloys are starting to show up. Below is one of the first alloy that came out, check it out:
Mag Wheels,Automotive Wheels,Aluminum Alloy Wheels,Car Chrome Wheels,Supplier

Also had a word with one the of dealers and he say that there are many alloys coming on 10/1/12 and he will call me the moment its gets there. Will let you know once i hear from them, till then let me know what you think bout the above set.
We finally went with the Mahindra Alloys and got them changed on Wednesday. Cost us 30K (2K discount from the quoted 32K price). Looking good. The PCD if I remember correctly is 5 x 139.7mm. If you are going for aftermarket ones, do ensure that it matches this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Behemoth,
No doubt a little late - but do accept my hearty badhai on getting the Silver Cheetah. And may you disprove the old adage from our schooldays that 'Cheetahs' never prosper ! Silver or otherwise.

Wonderful acquisition, no doubt and a nice comparison report too.

After running the Silver Cheetah for almost 2K KMs - any of the reported electrical glitches surfacing ? Mechanical - reportedly the flywheel issue etc ?

Will be all eyes here for updates on your progress with S-Chee.
Thanks Guderian! Great to see you "Back" in action! Having gone thru it myself, I know how slow the recovery is! Even now I get bad bouts sometimes if I lift up too much weight (>15kg).
Let's hope this Cheetah does well (Touchwood!) So far the experience has been good and only issue found is headlights weakening.

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 24th December 2011 at 13:02.
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 12:06   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Our Silver Cheetah is back after a rigorous 4000 Km drive, which my bro had taken from Gurgaon - Shirdi -Pune- Mahabaleshwar - Panchgani - Goa-Gurgaon. It was a true happy-go-lucky expedition over 10 days (Dec 24th-Jan3rd) and Bro and his wife enjoyed the XUV immensely. It was extremely comfortable to drive over these long distances and he drove at consistent 120-130 speeds and went as high as 170-180 on some of the beautiful highway stretches in Raj / Guj.
No issues reported with the Cheetah - only slight wobbling observed in steering wheel, which was due to the Alloys having been changed the previous day before the trip and wheel balancing not been done properly - sorted out by getting the wheels balanced again.

The Cheetah has now crossed 5043 Kms in our ownership!

The Overall mileage achieved on this expedition is 17.43 Kmpl (calculated on tank-to-tank!) , which is really very good and can be attributed largely to the comfortable cruising in 6th gear.
The number of passengers were 2 and there were 2 bags of luggage (total 30 Kgs), so it was not heavily loaded.

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 4th January 2012 at 12:32.
Behemoth is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 12:18   #57
BANNED

Quote:
So, 4000kms out of 5043 are on long distance trips..!! Interesting. What is the FE they got at those 120-130 kmph highway speeds Behemoth? Was the total count of passengers 2 with luggage?
Old 4th January 2012, 12:33   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Our Silver Cheetah is back after a rigorous 4000 Km drive, which my bro had taken from Gurgaon - Shirdi -Pune- Mahabaleshwar - Panchgani - Goa-Gurgaon. It was a true happy-go-lucky expedition over 10 days (Dec 24th-Jan3rd) and Bro and his wife enjoyed the XUV immensely. It was extremely comfortable to drive over these long distances and he drove at consistent 120-130 speeds and went as high as 170-180 on some of the beautiful highway stretches in Raj / Guj.
No issues reported with the Cheetah - only slight wobbling observed in steering wheel, which was due to the Alloys having been changed the previous day before the trip and wheel balancing not been done properly - sorted out by getting the wheels balanced again.

Regards,
Behemoth
Always satisfying to read a happy ownership thread. With so many people coming up with their list of small niggles, I was preparing for the worst and imagining myself sitting in the service centre every month or so

Congrats on the excellent purchase and the satisfying ownership once again. By the way, do you stay in the phase -II area?? have seen same color XUV zipping by on the streets there and have once or twice followed it also for the sake of satisfying my eyes
Old 4th January 2012, 13:22   #59
BHPian

Congrats pal on getting your XUV500. Mahindra has a winner on their hands with the XUV500 given the features and improved ride quality over the Scorpio and most importantly the killer price tag. Lets hope Mahindra is able to provide good after sales support to the XUV500 and works on continually improving the car based on end user feedback. Typically OEM's dont invest too much on good sound systems. The option for audiophiles is to upgrade the head unit or upgrade the speakers. The only downside of the XUV500 based on my test drive is the 3rd row seats are very cramped and good for kids and we have to plan for a roof carrier to carry luggage. Wishing you many more miles of happy driving in you new beast.
Old 4th January 2012, 13:36   #60
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Behemoth, your 4000km long drive report is confidence inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

With the niggles reported by quite a few owners, lot of people are in two minds whether to jump in when the bookings open or wait further.

I am definitely jumping in.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed