Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2011, 15:03   #151
BHPian

Re: Tata Aria Pride - Zero Pride in Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
.Can you give a more detailed list of the parts that have failed. They seem to be serious issues though. I will have to seriously consider the option of replacement with Tata.
Listed below are the major issues which were faced by my friend, as told by him.

The first problem was vibration on steering on speed above 140 KMPH, and uneven wear on tires. It turned out to be some issues with suspension, which was fixed and all tires replaced including alloys.

Second issue was clutch burn out.

Third one was issues with Airbags (warning light was lit up), which turned out to be wiring harness issue. According the service tech, wire below the driver seat was pinched and shorted. (Harness replaced)

Then there were issues with power steering, which could not be repaired in the first or second attempt.

Last edited by ANUJ GEORGE : 22nd November 2011 at 15:04. Reason: Correction
Old 22nd November 2011, 15:53   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Have been following this thread for the last few days, and shocked.
Quite truly, It was shocking (Even I was following it at first) but the service center destroyed my Aria and all expectations with their service.

Quote:
My Aria is at the service center presently for the 5th service it completed 1 year today, and is at 30,000 kms.
Congrats on the milestone buddy!

Mine has done 15k in 6.5 months out of which the car was at the service center for 1.5 months (total).

Quote:
It has been a nice or rather very nice experience till date, but the fact that the three of you (mainly Indian and Zappex) have faced issues decreases the confidence level. Had till I read your post always felt that the vehicle is bullet proof, now post your experiences do think what if..
Lucky you, Anand! Be prepared..and resolve every issue that even minutely indicates about a failure!

Quote:
They do give special treatment to Aria customers. When I had called for an appointment the last two times they had suggested a date later than when I wanted it and when I asked a simple question " Are you telling this to an Aria customer?" they immediately agreed to the date and time of my choise. I guess even the telephone operators are told that if someone expects special treatment on account of owning an Aria give it to them. Touch Wood.
I tried everything with these guys, finally I gave up and waited for nearly a month for my appointment. Just for the record when I tried the "Aria customer" thing. I was greeted by a humble "So what?"!!

Quote:
Presently my brakes too are fine and am told that they will continue till 40k kms so no need to change even the brake pads.
Keep an eye on them, mine started behaving abnormally for a while but suddenly settled and worked fine before I gave the Aria for service.

Quote:
Have some minor issues about which I will update on my thread once I get the car from service. Have also asked for some extra stuff to be done under warranty but nothing critical as in the case of all three of you.
Will wait for your update. Mine were not exactly critical apart from the clutching issues, rest were niggles!

Quote:
For those in Mumbai would recommend Wasan at Chembur at least on the basis of my experience so far. The SA (Reserved for Safari and Aria) has been good and extended all possible support till now.
Chembur is a tad far away, but given the current scenario I would have no choice. Do they offer free pickup/drop facilities?

Quote:
By the way the Goodyear Wrangler tyres do start getting quite worn out post 27k kms and that is a bit too soon. I believe they have changed to Bridgestones in later vehicles and those are supposed to be better. Lets see how that goes.
Mine have Bridgestones and believe me when I say this: "They are deteriorating at just 15k" in fact I have told the service guys and according to my SA he has sent them an email with pics to replace tyres as they are defective (Still waiting for Bridgestones response).

My Aria has run on fairly good roads!

OT: My 15k Ritz with Jk vectras has run on non-existent roads and the tyres are is very good shape!

Last edited by Zappex : 22nd November 2011 at 15:56.
Old 23rd November 2011, 10:34   #153
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappex View Post
Lucky you, Anand! Be prepared..and resolve every issue that even minutely indicates about a failure!

Chembur is a tad far away, but given the current scenario I would have no choice. Do they offer free pickup/drop facilities?

Mine have Bridgestones and believe me when I say this: "They are deteriorating at just 15k" in fact I have told the service guys and according to my SA he has sent them an email with pics to replace tyres as they are defective (Still waiting for Bridgestones response).

My Aria has run on fairly good roads!

OT: My 15k Ritz with Jk vectras has run on non-existent roads and the tyres are is very good shape!
Thanks, Nope not aware of pickup and drop facilities.

So between Bridgestones and Goodyears it is like between the devil & the deepsea. I did drive at very high speeds on very rough roads. But then that is what I bought the Aria for.

The Odd bit is that in my Safari used to do min 50K kms with each set of tyres (took it to 175,000 kms) be it Bridgestones, or Michelins, and the Aria suspension is supposed to be so much more advanced and testing for so long.

Also was thinking of / planning to upgrade to 265 width Michelins Lattitude Cross from around 25k kms but they are quite expensive and by the time I have reached 30K kms have decided to wait out a bit to see how the suspension tuning goes before deciding.

They are trying to give good support but I wish they tried not just hard but smart. If i had all these issues with the skoda then am sure they (the company) would have left me for dead.

Hope to hear some good news on your Aria issue getting resolved soon. I think you need to keep following up a bit more aggresively. Maybe show them this thread and that you are posting here.

Last edited by ACM : 23rd November 2011 at 10:38.
Old 23rd November 2011, 12:05   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If i had all these issues with the skoda then am sure they (the company) would have left me for dead.
Slightly OT but this is one area i fully agree with the statement above. I have seen Tata folks replacing the Suspensions, Disc Brakes, Something in gear box, and regular ones like Brake Pads etc free of cost under warranty with no drama and hard/loose talk with the customer. On some components even if the Warranty is just over i have seen them replacing it without any hassle as a goodwill warranty.

Cant say the same about Skoda with confidence, surely Skoda needs to learn a few of these things from Tata.
Old 23rd November 2011, 14:08   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Slightly OT but this is one area i fully agree with the statement above. I have seen Tata folks replacing the Suspensions, Disc Brakes, Something in gear box, and regular ones like Brake Pads etc free of cost under warranty with no drama and hard/loose talk with the customer. On some components even if the Warranty is just over i have seen them replacing it without any hassle as a goodwill warranty.
This is true. I have mentioned that in one of my posts.

By the way we received the Aria yesterday. But I was surprised and happy to see Oil Change & filters bill of Just Rs. 2000 change. I mean it was close to 6 liters of Oil that they changed. Will update the latest part replaced shortly.

@zappex, when I said to lower expectations, Expecting Aria to be delivered on same or next day seems a distant dream as of now. Experience with 2 cars. Well anyway I hope your car comes fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANUJ GEORGE View Post
Listed below are the major issues which were faced by my friend, as told by him.

The first problem was vibration on steering on speed above 140 KMPH, and uneven wear on tires. It turned out to be some issues with suspension, which was fixed and all tires replaced including alloys.

Second issue was clutch burn out.

Third one was issues with Airbags (warning light was lit up), which turned out to be wiring harness issue. According the service tech, wire below the driver seat was pinched and shorted. (Harness replaced)

Then there were issues with power steering, which could not be repaired in the first or second attempt.
We experienced vibrations in the steering around speeds of 120 -130 but beyond that it is rock stable again. Lots of critical parts seems to be having issues.

What was the issue with Power Steering? Did it get locked by any chance or something else?

Did the alloys go out of shape due to the suspension issues?

Clutch, I guess they may have to do something about dead pedal.

@ ACM, Touchwood man. Lets ushope you do not face any critical issues.
Old 24th November 2011, 20:17   #156
BHPian

UPDATE:

This is my last post about my Aria on this thread. Reason?

Well today, after 10 nightmarish days I got my Aria back!

Rest of the discussion/updates will be done on my thread.

I sincerely thanks indian21r, ACM and all my dear friends for the timely Suggestions/Advice!

Quote:
So between Bridgestones and Goodyears it is like between the devil & the deepsea. I did drive at very high speeds on very rough roads. But then that is what I bought the Aria for.
Of what I have heard; Bridgestones are usually good, mine might be from a bad lot.

Quote:
Also was thinking of / planning to upgrade to 265 width Michelins Lattitude Cross from around 25k kms but they are quite expensive and by the time I have reached 30K kms have decided to wait out a bit to see how the suspension tuning goes before deciding.
Michelin's are definitely worth a try!

Quote:
They are trying to give good support but I wish they tried not just hard but smart. If i had all these issues with the skoda then am sure they (the company) would have left me for dead.
Yes, I do agree by what you say. Its just that this time it didn't go so well...

Quote:
Hope to hear some good news on your Aria issue getting resolved soon. I think you need to keep following up a bit more aggresively. Maybe show them this thread and that you are posting here.
Thanks

Quote:
By the way we received the Aria yesterday. But I was surprised and happy to see Oil Change & filters bill of Just Rs. 2000 change. I mean it was close to 6 liters of Oil that they changed. Will update the latest part replaced shortly.
They charged me 13k in total, Will update the breakup soon.

Quote:
@zappex, when I said to lower expectations, Expecting Aria to be delivered on same or next day seems a distant dream as of now. Experience with 2 cars.
Dude, I got my car back after 10 days. What do I expect?

Quote:
Well anyway I hope your car comes fast.
Thanks Rahul, I got my Aria back. Sorry for bumping your thread...
Old 25th November 2011, 12:26   #157
BHPian

Wow, I was hoping that an 18 lakh Tata would actually have less issues than a 5 lakh one, boy was I wrong. The major issue seems to be that the ASC guys are not able to or want to repair broken parts, so they just replace the whole associated module, which ends up taking time to be delivered. Tata really need to streamline its delivery systems.

My Indigo's power window cable snapped one night (it had been 'clicking' for a while, which I had been ignoring) and they replaced the enitre motor assembly under warranty. Took a day to ship it, and then they shipped the part for the Vista (Bosch, not Siemens that comes with the Indigo CS) and had to do it again. I asked them why they didn't just change the cable, they said for warranty cars, they usually change the entire module. They kept the motor assembly with the broken cable. I'm assuming it's gonna get repaired and go into another vehicle as a paid-for replacement.

Most garages don't keep stock of anything other than regular replacement items, and that too only for the really moving products, so as to keep inventory costs down. Toyota Innova is a fast moving product, so most parts will be in stock at all ASCs. Aria sells less than 200 units a month countrywide, so it doesn't make sense to keep every part in inventory. I'm guessing even Tata doesn't have anything more in their inventory than what's needed to sustain their low production for Aria.

I'm not making excuses here, merely guessing reasons. Tata needs to understand that someone who spends 18 lakhs on a car expects more, and be prepared for anything, since it's a new product. In these cases, they have not delivered.

Last edited by vivekgk : 25th November 2011 at 12:29. Reason: typos
Old 25th November 2011, 20:42   #158
BHPian

It is disturbing to read this review from page 1 to page 11. Aslo regret to note that some T-Bhp members have also had serious issues with this car. Some of the issues are LIFE THREATNING.

In this day and age how can Tata Motors charge Rs 19 lakhs and deceive their customers into buying such products is something that disturbs me a lot.

My father owned Fiat and Ambassadors in the 1960's and 70's, I owned 2 Maruti 800 a Santro, a Wagon R. I also own a Honda City. Neither my Dad or I have had to face such nightmarish issues such as you have described here.

Mr Ratan Tata we are in 2011 !!

If it is possible to get a refund on both these cars from Tata Motors that will be the best option for your Company.

Horrfied !!

Rgds

Captain Nandu Chitnis
Master Mariner
Old 29th November 2011, 17:00   #159
BHPian

Finally after 7 months got a call from the Wasan Motors that they have the extended warranties for the cars. They are going to courier them to my office.
Old 29th November 2011, 17:20   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Finally after 7 months got a call from the Wasan Motors that they have the extended warranties for the cars. They are going to courier them to my office.
Can you please be a bit more specific and divulge details about the current warranty as well as the extended term?
Old 30th November 2011, 09:26   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
Can you please be a bit more specific and divulge details about the current warranty as well as the extended term?
Aria Carries a Standard Warranty of 3 Years/1,00,000 km. The extended warranty is 1 year/50,000 km. On their brochure they ask customers to insist on extended warranty.
Old 30th November 2011, 10:05   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Aria Carries a Standard Warranty of 3 Years/1,00,000 km. The extended warranty is 1 year/50,000 km. On their brochure they ask customers to insist on extended warranty.
So you had applied for the same and were awaiting confirmation from the dealership?

Would you have opted for the warranty if your vehicle was not giving problems?

Also please update us on how both Aria's are running post service...
Old 1st December 2011, 18:56   #163
BHPian

indian21r,

Team BHP just shared your thread on Facebook and Tata Arias official facebook fanpage replied, this is what they have to say.
Quote:
Having read your post, we do apologize for the inconvenience that you have gone through. Can the owner of these vehicles please write in to us at support@tataaria.com along with the above mentioned issues and his contact details. We'll have someone get in touch with you asap to sort out these problems.

Last edited by Y@SH : 1st December 2011 at 18:58.
Old 1st December 2011, 19:29   #164

Yep..its threading on fb rite now.. here is the link Team-BHP.com | Facebook
Old 2nd December 2011, 09:51   #165
BHPian

Good to see Tata Motors responding to the link. But It would have been even better if they had responded when the problem occurred.

I asked for extended warranty that day we purchased the car. But dealership made a mess of the numbers and delayed it till now. This issue took more than 2 months to resolve after intervention of Tata Motors.

Car 1 is taken out only if no other alternative is available. The second car is doing good.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed